Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

spincube posted:

I don't understand why so many seem to have their knives out when it comes to Auntie. It's one of our national institutions! Something to be proud of :smith:

Well, there's quite a few things wrong with it, but very little that couldn't be solved by getting rid of a lot of useless layers of management. Except the natural constituency of certain papers is useless layers of management, so there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

marktheando posted:

He's a joke, leader of a fringe racist party.

Any excuse to post these pictures of what happened when he tried to campaign by air-

The only real experience I have of him is from HIGNFY, but he's always terrible on it. Tries way to hard to make it seem like he doesn't mind them taking the piss out of him.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The ill fated-flight took place on polling day. His ribcage wasn't the only thing that was crushed that day.

The pilot was later convicted for threatening to kill Mr Farage with a gun.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The last episode of Andrew Marr's History of the World was on tonight. Has anyone been watching it? I remember a bit of discussion about it when it started, but not much since. I absolutely loved it. One of the best documentary series I've seen in a long time. Some of the reenactments were a little cheesy, but it was thorough, well made and I learned about a lot of the smaller details as well as the big picture, just like his Modern Britain series'. I loved how he focused on events, big and small, that triggered larger happenings rather than just talking about the big battles and wars we already know about.

The History Channel have a similar show starting this week, but I really don't know how it could be better than Marr's.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
It's a goddamn pity that even this far Alan Davies had never got 'blue whale' as a correct answer. When I realized the size question I was on the edge of my seat and he missed it :(

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

toanoradian posted:

It's a goddamn pity that even this far Alan Davies had never got 'blue whale' as a correct answer. When I realized the size question I was on the edge of my seat and he missed it :(

Hey, gotta leave something for the series Z Christmas special.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Acrolos posted:

I've been trying to catch up on a number of British series' over the past few months, but I'm looking for some advice on what to search out next. Most of the recommendations that I've received are wacky sitcoms and Doctor Who, neither of which I've enjoyed too much. I have loved Misfits and Black Mirror, along with The Office, Spaced, etc.

Any suggestions on some news things to check out that fall in line with the dark humor of those shows? I'd also love to find some good horror/thriller series' if they exist.

This post was from a while ago, but if you haven't seen it track down Dead Set. It's a very British take on the zombie genre, very well-written (by Charlie Brooker, no less)

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

toanoradian posted:

It's a pity he bit that tramp's ear and made those comments about Hillsborough. gently caress him.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

15 storeys high is also worth a look, it has Sean Locke in it and is dark enough. There was also a one-off programme called Lizzie and Sarah that was pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbMAkfsAggU

One day I'd like to get around to making a definitive British Comedy post. But not today.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If we're still making recommendations, I don't think anyone has mentioned Marion and Geoff yet.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Trin Tragula posted:

Well, there's quite a few things wrong with it, but very little that couldn't be solved by getting rid of a lot of useless layers of management.

There's a lot more wrong with it than that, although the vast majority of what is wrong with it is due to the Tories and the media barons forcing it to act in very inefficient and wasteful "efficient" ways, such as making programmes pay to use the pronunciation department (which then died a death).

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Does anyone know anything about this Full English thing on tonight? Obviously I hope it's good, but you can't really trust any telly to be good these days. Richard Ayode (spl) and Kayan Novak are both involved, so I guess that's a relatively good sign.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

The Perfect Element posted:

Does anyone know anything about this Full English thing on tonight? Obviously I hope it's good, but you can't really trust any telly to be good these days. Richard Ayode (spl) and Kayan Novak are both involved, so I guess that's a relatively good sign.

In the adverts I've been seeing on Channel 4 in the last week or two, it looks utter wank.

I didn't know Richard Ayoade was in it though, but that doesn't mean it'll be good.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I watched a web short. Well, half of one.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

onoflalks posted:

In the adverts I've been seeing on Channel 4 in the last week or two, it looks utter wank.

I didn't know Richard Ayoade was in it though, but that doesn't mean it'll be good.

It's wank.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Just saw that a new series of The Hour starts on the 14th, and I remember quite a few people in here watching and enjoying it so just a heads up. Peter Capaldi has been cast as a new character for this series too!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
To say that Full English is the bottom of the barrel, is an understatement. There's a few funny things here and there, but it's just kinda...Family Guy with the word "arse".

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
Has anyone else been having problems with iPlayer desktop? So often recently all the programs in my library disappear. I read elsewhere that this is caused by dodgy downloads, and removing some files from my repository brings the others back, but I haven't been able to actually view anything in a while.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

Just saw that a new series of The Hour starts on the 14th, and I remember quite a few people in here watching and enjoying it so just a heads up. Peter Capaldi has been cast as a new character for this series too!

Was the first any good? From what I read, it seemed really well received in the US, but not so much over here.

Bodzilla
Mar 11, 2007

Beep beep, motherf*cker!

toanoradian posted:

I seem to recall blue whale was the correct answer to a question which Fry asked in a foreign language.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89U7A5VYHpA @ 1:53

Bodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 13, 2012

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Mickolution posted:

Was the first any good? From what I read, it seemed really well received in the US, but not so much over here.
I thought it was good, the plot got a bit spy drama by the numbers-y but was still intriguing, and the cast and sets and production of it were all great. I don't know how they'll approach the new series because the first had a very self contained plot line which is now presumably over, it might come from quite a different angle this time.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

To say that Full English is the bottom of the barrel, is an understatement. There's a few funny things here and there, but it's just kinda...Family Guy with the word "arse".

Good to hear that nobody's going to have to report C4 to the ASA then.

Limmy's Show was back tonight. I missed it due to signalling problems outside Glasgow and it's not yet on the iPlayer, and nobody in my house thought to Sky+ it. Shite.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

Has anyone else been having problems with iPlayer desktop? So often recently all the programs in my library disappear. I read elsewhere that this is caused by dodgy downloads, and removing some files from my repository brings the others back, but I haven't been able to actually view anything in a while.

I've had this problem for quite a while and have thus far found no solution. I've tried all their suggestions, including deleting files in my repository. Let me know if you have any luck, mate. So far, much as I love them, the BBC haven't been able to help me.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

onoflalks posted:

Limmy's Show was back tonight. I missed it due to signalling problems outside Glasgow and it's not yet on the iPlayer, and nobody in my house thought to Sky+ it. Shite.

You didn't miss much. Limmy is notoriously inconsistent, and this was a terrible episode to start a series with.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Holy poo poo, the comic timing in Fresh Meat tonight when Kingsley was having an emotional speech to JP before JP lands right on top of him off of a rock was fantastic. I actually had to rewind because I missed what they said afterward due to laughing.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

onoflalks posted:

It was excellent, I think it repeated on Thursdays previously. I love that guy.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Peep Show's back on the 25th at 10

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/s29wm/peep-show--25112012

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Sunday night seems strange.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

It's the same slot Friday Night Dinner has been in. CH4 maybe thinking that a chunk of their comedy audience are out on other weekend nights?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Also gives people a chuckle before Monday morning, maybe?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Fiar enough. Shows how little TV I watch live, I guess :)

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
I'll have to get around to watching S6 and S7 then.

I like Peep Show and own all of it on DVD but... the effort to rewatch it all at times can be a bit much. Maybe it's the style of humour or how much of a twat Geoff is in the early series.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Giedroyc posted:

I'll have to get around to watching S6 and S7 then.

I like Peep Show and own all of it on DVD but... the effort to rewatch it all at times can be a bit much. Maybe it's the style of humour or how much of a twat Geoff is in the early series.

It's not so much his character, but that Geoff is really over-exposed in series 1&2. Series three is where it really picks up, in my opinion.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

marktheando posted:

He's a joke, leader of a fringe racist party.

Any excuse to post these pictures of what happened when he tried to campaign by air-

I'll always remember the thread title when this happened. It was "How do UKIP plane in the air"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Muppetjedi posted:

I'll always remember the thread title when this happened. It was "How do UKIP plane in the air"

I always found that funnier than I should if I had any kind of empathy for Farrage, because to me he looks exactly like a zombie when it has nothing to do. He also appears to have stubby legs.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It's better if you see the before picture too. He looks so excited.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Very happy to have The Hour back. Loved the first series, and the premiere for S2 was solid. Freddie's re-entrance was great.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
My Sky keeps recording things with audio description on, which is usually really irritating but was great for Fresh Meat. A female announcer calmly reading out lines like "JP and Kingsley mime Kingsley giving a blowjob to a gigantic penis." :haw:

Muppetjedi posted:

Probably the best thread title that's ever been written.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
He really does look like a zombie in those pictures. I mean, I'd probably not be looking my best if I was involved in a plane crash, but christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
The Hour was excellent, but I thought the sets they used for Soho and the outside of the club were a bit dodgy.