Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Interociter posted:

We have some fixes for the post-failed issue in the upcoming release, assuming they test OK.

I haven't seen that in quite a while, hmm. Could you PM me your device info and Facebook ID, and I'll get someone to see if there's anything in the soft error logs?

There are about nine things wrong with the Engadget article, but the work is coming along really well. I prefer it to the iOS app in some ways, even with the Android keyboard penalty. Android sure does fight you on making a smooth app, though...

I think I sent you a PM. I'm using the Awful app, and it acted a bit weird, so I'm not 100% sure it went through. If you didn't get it, let me know and I'll resend it from the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

E: Phone posted in wrong thread

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Skeezy posted:

If you still care about launchers it looks like ADW Launcher just had a massive update to version :siren:1.3.3.7:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSyfaQoTbmo

The new ADW is awesome, except it won't default on startup for my Nexus S. My home button still takes me to the desktop, but everytime I reboot my phone I have to select the default app. Works fine until I reboot again, and then it loses the default.

I uninstalled the launcherpro (don't use it) and tried to clear the defaults for the android launcher, but there were none. If I set the android launcher as default it doesn't ask, but if I set ADW as the default it seems to reset every time.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Anybody got a good wireless tether app that works on JB devices? FoxFi doesn't work for anything above ICS yet, and I just upgraded my Verizon GS3 to a JB rom.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

brc64 posted:

I think I sent you a PM. I'm using the Awful app, and it acted a bit weird, so I'm not 100% sure it went through. If you didn't get it, let me know and I'll resend it from the site.
And I can't figure out how to check PMs from the iOS Awful app, so I'll have to get to my other phone...

If email is easier, shaver@fb.com

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Interociter posted:

If email is easier
Emailed. Thanks again!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Aatrek posted:

Anybody got a good wireless tether app that works on JB devices? FoxFi doesn't work for anything above ICS yet, and I just upgraded my Verizon GS3 to a JB rom.

Doesn't get much better than this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.googlecode.android.wifi.tether

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

I'm looking for the best video player that's better than the default one that comes with 4.0 ICS on a Galaxy S3. It has to be able to play video streams and have a large buffer(is this possible?) to compensate for a 3G network that fluctuates often but doesn't drop connection.

To be more specific, the default media player will play video streams but cuts out infrequently. I know this site I frequent is set to low quality mobile. I'm looking to try other, better players.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

No setting combination I try works. Any other options (or fixes)?

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Aatrek posted:

No setting combination I try works. Any other options (or fixes)?

I couldn't get any of those apps to work when I was first trying to tether my Gnex to my Nexus 7. I eventually found the built in tethering option and that worked fine. I don't think that's on ICS though.

I think Barnacle worked for me at one point when I was tethering to a laptop.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm tethering for an iPad, so it needs to be wireless.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Aatrek posted:

I use Power Toggles to just turn the stock tethering options on and off. I've gotten iPads hooked up to my VZW SGS3 both via Wifi hotspot, as well as bluetooth, both on stock 4.0.4 touchwiz, and on CM10. You can configure them in your system settings, but it doesn't do the "subscription check" unless you try to enable them in the system settings. Power toggles turns them on/off without that check.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
You could also try Barnacle. I've had better luck with it than wifi tether. http://szym.net/barnacle/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there such a thing as a camcorder app that can run in the background? It would be nice to mount my phone to the dashboard to be a GPS and dashcam at the same time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Zero VGS posted:

Is there such a thing as a camcorder app that can run in the background? It would be nice to mount my phone to the dashboard to be a GPS and dashcam at the same time.

Nothing that isn't clearly intended for skeevier purposes than you have in mind, sadly. I went looking for something similar to try to catch someone who was stealing snacks from my desk and I didn't feel comfortable installing anything I found on my phone.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Zero VGS posted:

DailyRoads Voyages supposedly has "Background video/photo capture, with optional buttons over other applications".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zero VGS posted:

Will android even let you use the camera without having it be onscreen? That just seems like a massive privacy issue whether you want to do it or not.

tomm posted:

I couldn't get any of those apps to work when I was first trying to tether my Gnex to my Nexus 7. I eventually found the built in tethering option and that worked fine. I don't think that's on ICS though.

I think Barnacle worked for me at one point when I was tethering to a laptop.

It's available for ICS and I think earlier versions. That's what I got my mom to do with whatever galaxy phone she has (it's a couple years old) when she got her tablet and found out it's wifi only.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Oh hey, in November 2012 Google finally put gapless playback support in the native Music app (4.1+ required).

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh hey, in November 2012 Google finally put gapless playback support in the native Music app (4.1+ required).

Now all it needs is a decent EQ and a non-poo poo track queue and it'll be about half the player poweramp is! :v:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rolleyes posted:

Now all it needs is a decent EQ and a non-poo poo track queue and it'll be about half the player poweramp is! :v:

Give them a break. They have a very limited engineering staff.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Geektox posted:

DailyRoads Voyages supposedly has "Background video/photo capture, with optional buttons over other applications".

Wow. Free, no ads, and an incredibly robust feature set. Thanks pal, I was losing my mind trying to actually search the app store.

:lol: you can set it up to only save the video recordings if the phone accelerometer detects a car crash.

Edit: Are we being sarcastic about Google engineering? I could imagine if they have a huge staff but are just spread really really thin. These are the guys that have cars driving themselves, right?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 13, 2012

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

Give them a break. They have a very limited engineering staff.

Small budget as well from what I've read.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

UK crew (and maybe others), Google Music is now legit open for your uploading needs

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 13, 2012

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

baka kaba posted:

UK crew (and maybe others), Google Music is now legit open for your uploading needs

Lies!

"We're sorry. The Google Play music player is currently only available in the United States."

Although I guess technically it's the 13th over there.

Also how do I ensure (check) that Google Now will remind me about a shipment I am getting from FedEx?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Also how do I ensure (check) that Google Now will remind me about a shipment I am getting from FedEx?

By checking it obsessively by hand like a real nerd.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Speaking of Google Now, is the NFL section still a big turd that only updates once or twice a quarter, or is that only happening to me? I was under the impression that it would be a little more real-time than that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Lies!

"We're sorry. The Google Play music player is currently only available in the United States."

Although I guess technically it's the 13th over there.

Maybe you need to update the Music app on your phone, I did that first. Then I did the site signup, but when I ran Music it had a similar 'LET'S DO THIS THING' process so I think it's connected to the app somehow. Basically update that and see!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Speaking of Google Now, is the NFL section still a big turd that only updates once or twice a quarter, or is that only happening to me? I was under the impression that it would be a little more real-time than that.

It's slow for me too. Definitely not "real time". Then again, being a Bills fan, gently caress the NFL google now scorecards.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Jesus christ it's about time.

DatsEvolution
May 18, 2006

"I think you're a dangerous, corrupt, lying piece of nine-day-old mosquito shit." - Hugh Laurie, The Gun Seller

baka kaba posted:

Yep, its now available here in Germany.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

DatsEvolution posted:

Yep, its now available here in Germany.

It's working for me in the UK too, although I have a 64gb SD card and PowerAmp so I'm actually not that bothered. I'd rather have Google Voice to be honest.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Got one!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One app?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tunga posted:

One app?
I got two!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

rolleyes posted:

It's working for me in the UK too, although I have a 64gb SD card and PowerAmp so I'm actually not that bothered. I'd rather have Google Voice to be honest.

I'm just pleased to be able to buy online music from one place. I want to avoid amazon and iTunes just isn't an option.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm just pleased to be able to buy online music from one place. I want to avoid amazon and iTunes just isn't an option.

I'd somehow completely missed the fact that it's a music store as well as a cloud music host / player. :downs:

Now that I know, I might use it for music purchases depending on how it stacks up to other legal MP3 sources.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

rolleyes posted:

I'd somehow completely missed the fact that it's a music store as well as a cloud music host / player. :downs:

Now that I know, I might use it for music purchases depending on how it stacks up to other legal MP3 sources.

It's ok. On average they use the standard pricing iTunes and Amazon does but there are instances of Google being more expensive. I tend to use the new Wishlist thing if I find Google at a higher price and check it ever few days to see if anything I wanted came down in price.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Today I made the move from WP7 to Android (Samsung SIII). I've been configuring it for 45 minutes now and still need some help. Can anybody reccommend some free widgets/applications which would display new e-mails + calendar + alarm on lock screen? Plus is there any decent tool for aggregating LinkedIn and Twitter feeds in one tool? And all e-mail accounts in one box? Basically what I'm missing is WP lock screen, people tile and linked inboxes functionality.

E: Managed to figure out linked inboxes, now just need a decent social aggregator and lockscreen widgets :)

lovely tuna snatch fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 13, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

rolleyes posted:

Google haven't been doing a very good job letting it known to be honest.

I've personally gotten to a time in life where I feel I should start buying up my large pirated back catalog of music. I haven't actually downloaded any music for probably over a year but have been unhappy with the current options to start doing it before now. My ideal would be a music version of steam but Google will have to do.

I still think albums are a little too expensive though.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
I believe I remember someone posting a guide to get Facebook Chat channeled into your Google Chat somehow (using XMPP I think?), can anyone repost that?

• Locked thread