Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Ursine Asylum posted:

Physically, yes. You'll note that the damage done to Annie is purely etheric in nature, although whether one can actually be "killed" etherally is a point that has not yet been addressed.

I'm sure that Parley will answer that question for us before too long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

idonotlikepeas posted:

The device killed Jeanne, too. She describes it right here:

It kills the elf guy too because she has to die brokenhearted, not just die. The plan only works if she feels all-consuming pain and anger, so that the spirit that remains will kill anything that enters its domain.

I think the only other thing we might learn about the device is how to undo its effects. I don't think we need any more explanation about what it is, really. Diego was jealous and arranged for Jeanne and her lover to die, and made a device to turn her into the guardian of the river both 1) to make things worse for her and 2) to provide a justification so the rest of the court would go along with her murder. He was able to do this because of magic, the same way he was able to create the golem-robots.

I don't think Jeanne's ghost has anything to do with Jones particularly, but I wonder if she might be able to hold it off, since she seems pretty much invulnerable to damage.

Actually, I think it proves the contrary: the device did not intend to kill Jeanne. The heart she refers to is her boyfriend, I think. It might have bound her here until she withered away, but it doesn't look like she was hurt by the device. Or she merely lost all will to live after her boyfriend's death, and the "ensnared" part is metaphorical.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Either way it's clear they chose her for this fate, as they stated in the conversation scheming the plot "It has to be her." I'm in the "they meant to kill the boyfriend and ensnare her body with evil green arrow so that she becomes a being of pure white hot hate to protect the court"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Jones has no emotions, and that makes her very sad. :(

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Huntersoninski posted:

Either way it's clear they chose her for this fate, as they stated in the conversation scheming the plot "It has to be her." I'm in the "they meant to kill the boyfriend and ensnare her body with evil green arrow so that she becomes a being of pure white hot hate to protect the court"

Yeah, I agree.

Both Coyote and Shadow 2 have referred to the Court doing something to the river that made it unpassable. I think we're meant to have come to the conclusion that that something is Jeanne.

So it seems odd to guess that the whole angry murder ghost thing was by accident when it seems the only actual positive result of the mess (from the courts point of view).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Bongo Bill posted:

Actually, those do appear to be the clothes she was wearing when that whole incident went down. So now I'm back to being confused.
It's her, I was just being difficult.

Actually thinking Jones might be some sort of stand in for the idea that humans have been around since the dawn of the planet. Created fully formed and unchanging, "On the sixth day," as interpreted literally.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Huntersoninski posted:

Whatever the exact nature of the Court's Super Evil Arrow-Shooting Plan, it seems pretty obvious to me that Jeanne was not intended to come back out of the ravine that night.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

But what made them sure Jeanne wouldn't just climb back up and revenge-murder the whole Court? Diego only made one arrow, and it clearly wasn't meant for her, and I assume it can't be magic, coming from him.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
This was one of the best possible times to return to Gunnerkrigg Court to catch up on the past few weeks of strips. The timing of the flashbacks works well, with no sense of, "Goodness! How slow and self-indulgent!"

I'm still curious why a robot would be made out of rocks and be present for the creation of the Earth.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

feetnotes posted:

But what made them sure Jeanne wouldn't just climb back up and revenge-murder the whole Court? Diego only made one arrow, and it clearly wasn't meant for her, and I assume it can't be magic, coming from him.

There was something for sure off about the arrow though. And it's not like he hasn't designed mechanical things with strange otherworldly properties before - like all the original robots with no discernible power source and a code that can only be represented by a cube and contained in a heart.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

feetnotes posted:

From Diego, the creator of a race of sentient golems powered by words alone, with no logically operated mechanical parts of any kind?

The arrow clearly, explicitly was meant for her. It was meant to make her into what she became. Steadman fired it directly into her heart.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Battle Pigeon posted:

I wonder how Zimmy sees Jones.

"Who?"

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Zimmy knows who Jones is, don't be silly

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Oh, so that's what she looks like to Zimmy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Jones is a demon.
:ms:
(Panel 4)

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Literally Sharks posted:

From Diego, the creator of a race of sentient golems powered by words alone, with no logically operated mechanical parts of any kind?

The arrow clearly, explicitly was meant for her. It was meant to make her into what she became. Steadman fired it directly into her heart.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=778
It seems odd to me that they would use a magic arrow to kill the green guy to turn her into a rageghost. Like why not use a normal arrow on him and some kind of other ghost-making device on her? Seems strange to target the magic on him and not her.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=778
It seems odd to me that they would use a magic arrow to kill the green guy to turn her into a rageghost. Like why not use a normal arrow on him and some kind of other ghost-making device on her? Seems strange to target the magic on him and not her.

It's magic. It can be an arrow that kills someone and enslaves the soul of the person in love with them. It can work however it wants to because it's a pretend magic arrow. In the context of the story, the kind of magic being performed obviously required a bond between two individuals, and for one to be killed so the other is bound by the spell or whatever. It can do this because it is a pretend arrow in a made up story.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
So the question is, if the arrow is removed and Jeanne moves on, what happens to the Court and the Forest?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Jones looked like a human before looking like a human was popular.

Jones is the first hipster.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Gnome de plume posted:

Jones looked like a human before looking like a human was popular.

Jones is the first hipster.

She was into the earth before it was cool.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zemyla posted:

So the question is, if the arrow is removed and Jeanne moves on, what happens to the Court and the Forest?

They explode in a reaction of mutual annihilation, emitting energy equivalent to 9×10^16 J/kg.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

She was into the earth before it was cool.

:rimshot:

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Zemyla posted:

We've argued about this before on thsio thread, I think.

I've always been of the opinion that the story will end in an actual peace between the court and the forest because it just seems too dark for the story to ultimately decide that enslaving Jeanne for all eternity as a being of rage and pain is a necessary evil.

But then I kind of think Jeanie just isn't needed any more. She was a land mine made when the political situation was different to what it currently is. But now the court has built a bridge, "on their terms" according to coyote, but they still built it and there is regular immigration and communication between the two sides now so I don't think Jeanne is actually useful any more.

Which if anything makes her even more tragic

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Ursine Asylum posted:

Physically, yes. You'll note that the damage done to Annie is purely etheric in nature, although whether one can actually be "killed" etherally is a point that has not yet been addressed.

Jeanne certainly seems to believe that she can kill Annie and Parley, and I don't see any reason to doubt her, since killing people trying to cross the river is her job.

Iceclaw posted:

Actually, I think it proves the contrary: the device did not intend to kill Jeanne. The heart she refers to is her boyfriend, I think. It might have bound her here until she withered away, but it doesn't look like she was hurt by the device. Or she merely lost all will to live after her boyfriend's death, and the "ensnared" part is metaphorical.

The heart thing is metaphorical, yeah. But I'm fairly sure the body being ensnared by the green light isn't. It trapped her down there and, in doing so, killed her, and then it mutated her spirit into the guardian of the river. It's not clear whether she died from the light draining her life away or from just plain old exposure/dehydration/starvation, but even if it's the latter that's just a detail - the real agent of her death is the device and its light.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

nope, she's a drowned rat

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Ahh, it's a metaphor. Jones is a drowned rat, washed up onto a desert island after a storm with no memory of her previous life. The island being Earth, of course, and the storm being the birth of the sun and solar system.

Which means, Jones is...an alien! Or even better: an alien robot! (I would say an alien robot from the future, but that's just silly.)

Or she was created in the previous supernova that created all the heavier elements in the solar system essential to life as we know it. Crazy stuff can happen in a supernova.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
:smith: is all I've got to say

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, I guess that's her stating what she knows as fact. She cannot break at all, and isn't exactly like a rock.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

pik_d posted:

:smith: is all I've got to say

Seriously. Mort's gonna have to put in some over(fun)time.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
...I'm not entirely sure I believe her when she says she has no wants, though.

Why would she be in a sort of "relationship" with Jimmy Jims if she truly had no feelings or didn't want to be? Is she only trying to just fit in?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You broke your stone, Jones. :smith:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yep, still think she's wrong about herself.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
If she has no desires, why concern herself with the goings-on of humanity at all? Even from an academic standpoint, even out of pure dispassionate intellectual interest, the most pessimistic answer to her choices still says there's more to her than she's willing to ascribe to herself simply by virtue of her having made them.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Violen posted:

If she has no desires, why concern herself with the goings-on of humanity at all? Even from an academic standpoint, even out of pure dispassionate intellectual interest, the most pessimistic answer to her choices still says there's more to her than she's willing to ascribe to herself simply by virtue of her having made them.
I'm guessing she's either wrong, lying to Annie, or lying to herself. The Jimmy Jims thing is pretty conspicuous in light of what she's saying now, which is definitely intentional.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dr. Manhattan lied to himself about having emotions too. What if she's this universes version of him?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

IronClaymore posted:

Or she was created in the previous supernova that created all the heavier elements in the solar system essential to life as we know it. Crazy stuff can happen in a supernova.

Jones is a single atom of Jonesium.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Cat Mattress posted:

Jones is a single atom of Jonesium.

The end of the comic will involve every planet's Jones recombining to fight the ascended Coyote final boss.

e: Dr. Disaster looks on proudly, as a single tear rolls down his cheek.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Jones defies classification and has been around forever. Jones is Jones. :ms:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Jones is the hardest subtance known to man.

She is well 'ard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Jones is so selfish. If only she would submit herself to scientific research, we could perhaps find a way to develop new shields and armors for our fighting men and women in their war on terrorism.

What I am basically saying is Jones hates freedom. :911: