Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008

Vasudus posted:

If you're not eligible you won't receive a certificate of eligibility. Without that, your benefits cannot be processed. So you shouldn't have to worry about an overpayment situation.

The extension should be automatic - the VA will send a letter stating that although your benefits are exhausted, they will continue to cover you for that semester. If for whatever reason they don't send this letter, you can request it from the VA. They're not always on top of sending out proper notifications (surprise, surprise!) so just be aware this letter should be sent out at some point. It should arrive approximately 3-5 weeks after you've been certified for the Spring 2013 semester.

Thanks for you insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I started school three weeks ago and have yet to get my BAH payment. I know the VA has my DD info because I am receiving my disability compensation through it. What's the hold up? How long has it taken people here to start getting their Chapter 33/31 BAH after they started school and verified enrollment?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

POWERFUL rear end SWEAT posted:

I started school three weeks ago and have yet to get my BAH payment. I know the VA has my DD info because I am receiving my disability compensation through it. What's the hold up? How long has it taken people here to start getting their Chapter 33/31 BAH after they started school and verified enrollment?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417396

The VA is backlogged to hell and back. You're looking at maybe 4 or so weeks, maybe 5.

If you want to try and expedite the process, you can *try* and reach them by phone at 1-888-442-4551. Mention the word "hardship" a few times, like 'this delay is causing me significant hardship' and if you're convincing enough they'll put in an expedited claim.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Vasudus posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417396

The VA is backlogged to hell and back. You're looking at maybe 4 or so weeks, maybe 5.

If you want to try and expedite the process, you can *try* and reach them by phone at 1-888-442-4551. Mention the word "hardship" a few times, like 'this delay is causing me significant hardship' and if you're convincing enough they'll put in an expedited claim.

Thank you. I found this thread by googling "veterans benefits unable to complete call" :suicide:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone knows if you are hosed if you missed a life insurance payment? I was out of the country for 4 months and totally blanked on it. I paid it now, but it was ~35 days or so late.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

TLG James posted:

Anyone knows if you are hosed if you missed a life insurance payment? I was out of the country for 4 months and totally blanked on it. I paid it now, but it was ~35 days or so late.

Keep paying and if they don't send you a letter that your insurance is no longer valid then you're good to go. Once you're paid in full, call and verify your account is still active. You should be fine though.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
General question for anyone who might know:

My friend who is currently at 30% wants to drop his VA benefits entirely and re-enlist in the military. Is he able to do this? If so, where should I direct him?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
A few years ago when I asked an IRR recruiter about it, he said it was possible, but would require a waiver, obviously. During drawdown it's probably still possible, but that waiver is going to be a bitch to get.

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

I got the internet going nuts.

truth masseuse posted:

General question for anyone who might know:

My friend who is currently at 30% wants to drop his VA benefits entirely and re-enlist in the military. Is he able to do this? If so, where should I direct him?

If the service branch finds him physically qualified, he simply has to send a copy of his orders to active duty to the VA and request that his compensation be reduced to 0 for the duration of his active service. He will have re-open it when he gets back out.

The 30 percent rule that most people get confused about with regard to being unfit for service is a PEB rating from the DoD.

edit: It will also take them about 9 months to stop his payments and will create an overpayment from the VA, he would want to save the money and set up a repay with debt management when the notice of debt comes.

StabbyRipStabStab fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 12, 2012

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Fellow goon vets: I filed for disability back in december 2010, and still have not received my disability benefits. I got tried to get some help from the VFW but the advocate assigned to me has not been very helpful. I have not gotten my GI bill benefits as of now, and I am unemployed.

Does anyone know what the VA means by "financial hardship" and what do I have to do do prove this? Unfortunately I do not have any eviction notices, but can anyone suggest any other options to get the VA to help me out a bit? Many thanks.

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Fellow goon vets: I filed for disability back in december 2010, and still have not received my disability benefits. I got tried to get some help from the VFW but the advocate assigned to me has not been very helpful. I have not gotten my GI bill benefits as of now, and I am unemployed.

Does anyone know what the VA means by "financial hardship" and what do I have to do do prove this? Unfortunately I do not have any eviction notices, but can anyone suggest any other options to get the VA to help me out a bit? Many thanks.

Sorry this is late, but you should send in bills showing past due amounts, or see if you can get a letter from your landlord stating that you are consistently late with rent or are in danger of eviction.

Submit these with a form 5655 and a letter requesting your claim to be expedited. The regional office that you fall under will make the determination if you fall under hardship or not (this changes from month to month based on local policy).

mhachtx
Oct 1, 2000
I have my C&P exam for my ear problems, specifically my right ear in a few hours. They are evaluating me for tinnitus, and the VFW guy put me in for Menieres syndrome or something.

I can't use a cell phone in my right ear cause it just sounds like ripping paper constantly, do you guys have any other idea of what I should say.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

mhachtx posted:

I have my C&P exam for my ear problems, specifically my right ear in a few hours. They are evaluating me for tinnitus, and the VFW guy put me in for Menieres syndrome or something.

I can't use a cell phone in my right ear cause it just sounds like ripping paper constantly, do you guys have any other idea of what I should say.

Try and connect it to your service and you should be set. "I was doing this one thing and a thing blew up and now it sounds like a bunch of apes ripping paper in my ear".

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I get a letter every few weeks that the VA has not forgotten about my compensation claim and that they are still working on it.

I have new evidence I need to submit, how can I do that?

I have a signed document from a VA psychiatrist to my college's disability office that I am (most likely) permanently disabled and very detailed about how it affects my thought process, life, etc etc. This is extremely important because it is the first piece of paper that admits that it is a disability and it's not a lifestyle that I am choosing. All the other evidence isn't clear about that and suggests that this is probably something that I am choosing.

I can't find the address anywhere online where I mail this in or the form authorizing the release of information.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 24, 2012

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

If it's from a VA doctor, then they don't need a ROI form. Just send a 21-4138 with a statement that is something like this. "Obtain records in support of my claim from Cleveland VAMC from the dates for 1/1/2011 to present". Then send that form certified mail to the VA regional office that has jurisdiction over your claim. If you want, you can attach a copy of the letter, but there is most likely a copy in the electronic charting system the VHA uses.

Edit: The address to send this to is on the letterhead of the letters that they send you that say they are processing your claim. You can also try this on VONAPP, but I've had mixed results with this.

StabbyRipStabStab fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 25, 2012

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

StabbyRipStabStab posted:

Just send a 21-4138 with a statement that is something like this. "Obtain records in support of my claim from Cleveland VAMC from the dates for 1/1/2011 to present".

It's not even really necessary to do that. VBA has access to all of your VA treatment records since approx 1995 and they're required to at least look at them in support of the decision. However, if you have ever seen your VA treatment records you would see that they can be extremely expansive and it is very easy to miss something important if it's not extremely obvious. So it's helpful to perhaps get letters or print out specific treatment records that support what you're claiming.

When it comes to letters from your physician, those normally aren't stored in the VA medical records system. In such a case, it is absolutely paramount that you submit that evidence to your regional office to ensure that they have a copy of it.

To anyone who is seeking to get individual unemployability, these letters are extremely helpful, especially if it comes from a treating physician who has been seeing you for a while. If you really can't work due to your condition, whether it be due to PTSD or a back condition, an explicit letter from a treating physician who knows your history well saying that you are unable to secure or follow any substantially gainful occupation (not just that you're unable to pursue your normal course of work) is probably one of the strongest pieces of evidence you can submit in support of your claim.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

cult_hero posted:

It's not even really necessary to do that. VBA has access to all of your VA treatment records since approx 1995 and they're required to at least look at them in support of the decision. However, if you have ever seen your VA treatment records you would see that they can be extremely expansive and it is very easy to miss something important if it's not extremely obvious. So it's helpful to perhaps get letters or print out specific treatment records that support what you're claiming.

When it comes to letters from your physician, those normally aren't stored in the VA medical records system. In such a case, it is absolutely paramount that you submit that evidence to your regional office to ensure that they have a copy of it.

To anyone who is seeking to get individual unemployability, these letters are extremely helpful, especially if it comes from a treating physician who has been seeing you for a while. If you really can't work due to your condition, whether it be due to PTSD or a back condition, an explicit letter from a treating physician who knows your history well saying that you are unable to secure or follow any substantially gainful occupation (not just that you're unable to pursue your normal course of work) is probably one of the strongest pieces of evidence you can submit in support of your claim.

Right now I am paying the VA for treatment and the end goal is to not do this and to be able to not pay the co-pay for appointments and medication. Anything else they give me would be great, but honestly I am sick of paying $15 for a 30 day supply of each medication they put me on that usually doesn't work.

The paperwork I need to submit is not a VA form, it is a packet that I had the doctor fill out from the college that was required by disability services. And on top of that, I also intend to submit the letters from the college that I am accepted to use their disability services and exactly what services they provide me due to my disability.

Thank you both, hopefully I can get these sent out this week.

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

cult_hero posted:

It may be different at our station, but they won't put VA records from CAPRI into the C-file unless the dates and location are specified. Most letters from VHA physicians, if e-signed, are also in the records.

About the letter that you have, I would either speak with a VSO to submit it through them, or see if your clinic has VSRs stationed there from the RO to datestamp and log the evidence there. There is no reason for you to have to pay, and it gives you more certainty in the evidence making it to the RO than going through triage.

(edit: Triage is the VARO mail room)

StabbyRipStabStab fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 26, 2012

RandySavage
Nov 25, 2007
macho madness
Hope this hasn't been beaten to death already but I have a question about disability comp! I got the letter in the mail saying my balls are worth 10% compensation but the thing that gives me problems, and two years of dead-man profile on active duty is my hip, which they said wasn't worth poo poo! The VA doc who looked at my nads was awesome and sympathetic, which is how I figure I got 10% for that problem. The guy who was supposed to look at my hip didn't look at my hip but asked me some questions, poked it a little, and gave off a serious aura of not giving any shits. The questions others have asked that were near this situation lead me to believe that I may be SOL but I really feel like I am getting lowballed by the VA. Is it worth disputing with the only evidence being poo poo they've already seen (army med files)?

RandySavage fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 13, 2012

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

RandySavage posted:

Hope this hasn't been beaten to death already but I have a question about disability comp! I got the letter in the mail saying my balls are worth 10% compensation but the thing that gives me problems, and two years of dead-man profile on active duty is my hip, which they said wasn't worth poo poo! The VA doc who looked at my nads was awesome and sympathetic, which is how I figure I got 10% for that problem. The guy who was supposed to look at my hip didn't look at my hip but asked me some questions, poked it a little, and gave off a serious aura of not giving any shits. The questions others have asked that were near this situation lead me to believe that I may be SOL but I really feel like I am getting lowballed by the VA. Is it worth disputing with the only evidence being poo poo they've already seen (army med files)?

The problem here isn't VA lowballing you, it's an examiner not doing their job correctly. When it comes to the evaluation assigned for a particular disability, the agency decision maker has to go off of what the examiner says. Generally with joints, if they say "yep, you've got tendonitis that began during service", but they mark down that your ranges of motion were full and without evidence of painful motion, then they're kind of stuck giving you a 0% evaluation. What you can do now is either appeal it and tell them that the examiner didn't conduct range of motion testing using a goniometer (which from your description of the examination is a possibility), or you can have your actual doctor conduct the examination using one of the forms available here: http://benefits.va.gov/TRANSFORMATION/dbqs/ListByDBQFormName.asp and ask for a reconsideration.

Also, take a look at that letter they sent you. I have no idea what's wrong with your testicles, but a 10% is normally assigned for the actual loss of a teste. If that's so, make sure they gave you what's called special monthly compensation based on anatomical loss of a creative organ. It essentially amounts to an additional 100.00 or so to your compensation regardless of your overall evaluation.

RandySavage
Nov 25, 2007
macho madness

cult_hero posted:

The problem here isn't VA lowballing you, it's an examiner not doing their job correctly. When it comes to the evaluation assigned for a particular disability, the agency decision maker has to go off of what the examiner says. Generally with joints, if they say "yep, you've got tendonitis that began during service", but they mark down that your ranges of motion were full and without evidence of painful motion, then they're kind of stuck giving you a 0% evaluation. What you can do now is either appeal it and tell them that the examiner didn't conduct range of motion testing using a goniometer (which from your description of the examination is a possibility), or you can have your actual doctor conduct the examination using one of the forms available here: http://benefits.va.gov/TRANSFORMATION/dbqs/ListByDBQFormName.asp and ask for a reconsideration.

Also, take a look at that letter they sent you. I have no idea what's wrong with your testicles, but a 10% is normally assigned for the actual loss of a teste. If that's so, make sure they gave you what's called special monthly compensation based on anatomical loss of a creative organ. It essentially amounts to an additional 100.00 or so to your compensation regardless of your overall evaluation.

you nailed it buddy! except I still have both balls... they're just... funnier now after the army. The examiner did the ROM tests and mumbled something about tendinitis but never used a goniometer certainly. Thanks for that info, it's time to mail some papers.

mhachtx
Oct 1, 2000
Hey guys, sometime in the future I might have to short sale my house that is guaranteed by a VA loan. I know they will hold my C&P payments until the debt is recovered, but will this gently caress up my GI Bill payments? Will the payments to my school, and myself be with held until the debt is recovered?

i'm just trying to get a feeling for how screwed I am.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

mhachtx posted:

Hey guys, sometime in the future I might have to short sale my house that is guaranteed by a VA loan. I know they will hold my C&P payments until the debt is recovered, but will this gently caress up my GI Bill payments? Will the payments to my school, and myself be with held until the debt is recovered?

i'm just trying to get a feeling for how screwed I am.

It shouldn't screw you with GI Bill. If they say something about it you can always make arrangements so your GI Bill wont be affected.

mhachtx
Oct 1, 2000

front wing flexing posted:

It shouldn't screw you with GI Bill. If they say something about it you can always make arrangements so your GI Bill wont be affected.

Thanks man, I am going to try and talk to a VA loan counselor but they are pretty hard to get on the line.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Does the VA talk to the military? In other words, will having a disability rating affect my flight physical or commissioning in the Reserve/Guard?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You can get a waiver for up to a 30% rating and still serve in the reserves/guard, or at least you could before the drawdown went into effect, but good luck trying to get that waiver now. Also, any disability you collect while in the reserves/guard, the equivalent is forfeited/deducted from your pay (according to an old salt AGR guy I talked to a few years back). You could also call up the VA and have your disability suspended while you're in reserves/guard, but you'll probably need a contract with waiver in hand to do that.

Over 30%, don't bother, it'd be pulling teeth right now. If another war starts, however...

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Spongebob Tampax posted:

You can get a waiver for up to a 30% rating and still serve in the reserves/guard, or at least you could before the drawdown went into effect, but good luck trying to get that waiver now. Also, any disability you collect while in the reserves/guard, the equivalent is forfeited/deducted from your pay (according to an old salt AGR guy I talked to a few years back). You could also call up the VA and have your disability suspended while you're in reserves/guard, but you'll probably need a contract with waiver in hand to do that.

Over 30%, don't bother, it'd be pulling teeth right now. If another war starts, however...

I thought it was hella easy to get into the guard/reserves now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I was under the assumption that the drawdown was across the board, though I'm probably wrong.

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

Spongebob Tampax posted:

This is all completely wrong, the 30 percent rating is for a PEB board for members who have been medically separated and have a rating from a service branch. Conditions that are disabling for VA purposes aren't necessarily for DoD purposes.

You cannot draw both VA compensation and military pay and allowances concurrently, but the VA will automatically match the days you were paid with DFAS and adjust your award.

For drilling reservists the adjustment goes something like 48 drill periods + 14 AT days for 62 days of waived VA pay or about 2 months.

This kind of misinformation causes problems when guys come back from deployments and fail to file for issues that they have, thinking that they have to wait until retirement for a benefit that they are entitled to. This not only leads to a loss of money for the veteran, but causes problems when claims are finally filed because how do we know your knee condition is from an injury you had 15 years ago, when you have been working as a firefighter in your civilian job and you have no medical records showing continuity of treatment because you sucked it up.

http://www.dhs.ri.gov/Portals/0/Upl...ised_11_08).pdf

StabbyRipStabStab fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 22, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Thank you for correcting me. Curse the AGR recruiter for feeding me horseshit.

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Thank you for correcting me. Curse the AGR recruiter for feeding me horseshit.

He's probably thinking of NGR 600-200, Table 2-1, which states that a 30 percent PEB rating can't be waved. This is not the same as a VA rating. Furthermore, the only "waiver" that is done is the waiver of VA pay for the time you received military pay. (Provided that you meet standards and are fit for duty.)

Edit: Don't listen to people advising that you request severance of a disability rating to enlist, either. That is stupid on so many levels because not only does the VA rating not concern the military, but requesting a severance of service connection does not magically heal the underlying condition.

When speaking with anyone in the military regarding this(or anything else), consider that they may have no idea what the gently caress they are talking about and ask for a second opinion or read the regs yourself.

StabbyRipStabStab fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 23, 2012

tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010
The best thing about being 80% disabled is heckling my fellow classmates. "Come on guys, I'm technically mentally retarded and I have no problem with quantum mechanics."

I told one guy I wasn't very good at math and science until I was blown up a couple times, and he got that "Hmmm... how do I get this 'head injury' of which you speak?" look.

Knoxx
Oct 6, 2009
Got a few questions for you guys as I've been having a hard time finding the information on it.

I'm former USN Sub Force, Sonar Tech. Got out in 05 on a Honorable, no issues that I know of. When I got out, I didn't get any sort of percentage, had no idea what to report or even what to do. Getting out was just a quick as possible process for myself and those getting me out.

So I have some hearing issues, had an issue while underway doing sound checks where active got blast into my ears through some headphones, but never got officially treated for it. Doc on the boat... game me Motrin. Anyhow, I've been told by my girlfriend I should head to the VA Hospital to get my ears checked out. I have a hard time hearing people's voices when there is any sort of background noise or if they're not talking directly at me. Also I can tell one ear is worse than another. A former Marine friend has been going through a bunch of VA stuff and has been getting his percentage upped. I thought getting out and nothing reported, I am pretty much screwed and won't get any help. Am I wrong? Can I get help with the VA or get checked out even though I don't have a percentage?

I also have back and knee issues, typical of most submariners from what I've know, but never really got it checked out.

On another note, I am finishing up my AS degree here soon, but have like a year or less left on my GI Bill using the Post 9/11. Is there anything out there any of you can suggest if I wanted to finish up my Bachelors via the VA or military benefits? I was thinking of working towards some scholarships, but wasn't sure if there was anything I missed.

Lastly, any idea how I can use the Post 9/11 for getting technical certifications like the A+, Security+, Linux+, or CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate)?

Thanks for the help.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Knoxx posted:

Got a few questions for you guys as I've been having a hard time finding the information on it.

I'm former USN Sub Force, Sonar Tech. Got out in 05 on a Honorable, no issues that I know of. When I got out, I didn't get any sort of percentage, had no idea what to report or even what to do. Getting out was just a quick as possible process for myself and those getting me out.

So I have some hearing issues, had an issue while underway doing sound checks where active got blast into my ears through some headphones, but never got officially treated for it. Doc on the boat... game me Motrin. Anyhow, I've been told by my girlfriend I should head to the VA Hospital to get my ears checked out. I have a hard time hearing people's voices when there is any sort of background noise or if they're not talking directly at me. Also I can tell one ear is worse than another. A former Marine friend has been going through a bunch of VA stuff and has been getting his percentage upped. I thought getting out and nothing reported, I am pretty much screwed and won't get any help. Am I wrong? Can I get help with the VA or get checked out even though I don't have a percentage?

I also have back and knee issues, typical of most submariners from what I've know, but never really got it checked out.

On another note, I am finishing up my AS degree here soon, but have like a year or less left on my GI Bill using the Post 9/11. Is there anything out there any of you can suggest if I wanted to finish up my Bachelors via the VA or military benefits? I was thinking of working towards some scholarships, but wasn't sure if there was anything I missed.

Lastly, any idea how I can use the Post 9/11 for getting technical certifications like the A+, Security+, Linux+, or CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate)?

Thanks for the help.

I was a fast attack m-div person
Do you have a history of hearing loss documented in your medical record? I remember doing annual hearing tests that were mandatory, so maybe you still have those. The easiest way to get rated for hearing loss is to tell them your ears ring(tinnitus), because they can't really determine if it is true or not. However you will probably need to show that you had hearing loss while in(from your audiograms) or worked in a loud environment. Tinnitus is a flat 10%, no matter how severe it is or how many ears its in. You can definitely apply for disability at any time though, a lot of people do it well after they're out and people also recommend using reps to help you fill out the paperwork for your disability. I can't help you with this part because I didn't but some guys here did.

If you are rated for a disability you can apply for vocational rehab, which if accepted will extend your benefits to 48 months(its a separate program but I think of it this way) from the 36 you get from the GI Bill. It is similar to the post 9/11 if you want to continue school, just read about it with google or wait til vasudus writes you an essay about it ;D Also what state are you in/from? A few states will pay for veterans tuition when their federal benefits run out, so it is also worth looking in to.

I have no idea about the last one.

Knoxx
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks man, that helps a lot... as I do actually have issues with my ears ringing randomly also. I live in Florida.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Can the military (or any other agency) obtain my VA records without having me sign a release? In other words, is there any way the military can find out I have a VA rating or that I've received therapy for PTSD from the VA?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Knoxx posted:

Thanks for the help.

You can use the Post-9/11 GI Bill to pay for technical certifications. The catch is that they have to be delivered by authorized institutions. Most technical training providers are probably already authorized, but if they aren't they can contact the State Approving Agency to get added to the list.

Here is an example of an authorized provider in VA.

http://www.hyperlearn.com/dod-military/gi-bill-certifications/post-9-11-gi-bill-2

and the VA site to lookup whether your selected institution is already authorized.

http://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildSearchInstitutionCriteria.do

Hope this helps.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

FooGoo posted:

Can the military (or any other agency) obtain my VA records without having me sign a release? In other words, is there any way the military can find out I have a VA rating or that I've received therapy for PTSD from the VA?

If I recall correctly, you are asked to sign releases for this type of information when you apply for a clearance, and refusal to sign the release is probably not considered favorably in the adjutication.

However, according the the Privacy Act, the answer seems to be Yes whether you sign a release or not in certain cases.

Obviously, this could be N/A to your situation based on details I am not privy to, but:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-07-19/html/2012-17507.htm

"2. Any information in this system may be disclosed to a Federal
agency, upon its official request, to the extent that it is relevant
and necessary to that agency's decision regarding: The hiring,
retention or transfer of an employee; the issuance of a security
clearance, the letting of a contract, or the issuance or continuance of
a license, grant or other benefit given by that agency. However, in
accordance with an agreement with the U.S. Postal Service, disclosures
to the U.S. Postal Service for decisions concerning the employment of
Veterans will only be made with the Veteran's prior written consent."

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

Golli posted:

If I recall correctly, you are asked to sign releases for this type of information when you apply for a clearance, and refusal to sign the release is probably not considered favorably in the adjutication.

However, according the the Privacy Act, the answer seems to be Yes whether you sign a release or not in certain cases.

Thanks for the info. I'm just really paranoid now that the Army seems to be chaptering anyone and everyone who mentions seeking mental health. I don't seem to recall anyone getting chaptered from the military due to services they sought through the VA (probably applies more to the Guard/Reserve). Can anyone confirm or deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

My personal opinion. If you think you would benefit from mental health services, then utilize them.

You need to take care of yourself first.

• Locked thread