Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

It's beautiful in PA today, so lots of stupids on their garage sofas, dragging their toesies through turns and generally being lame dicks. Well, at least it'll be sub 50 degrees again before we know it :(

God, I was out in my miata today (SV is mostly away for the winter), was having a great drive, had it ruined getting stuck behind a pack of Harleys with the worst god damned exhaust ever. Worse than your average loud brap brap brap, seemingly twice as loud with high pitched popping on top. Gave me a headache in minutes, I had to pull over and get some distance between us. Who the hell thinks that sounds good? I sort of understand the loud deep pipes, but this sounded like loud wet flatlucance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

opengl128 posted:

God, I was out in my miata today (SV is mostly away for the winter), was having a great drive, had it ruined getting stuck behind a pack of Harleys with the worst god damned exhaust ever. Worse than your average loud brap brap brap, seemingly twice as loud with high pitched popping on top. Gave me a headache in minutes, I had to pull over and get some distance between us. Who the hell thinks that sounds good? I sort of understand the loud deep pipes, but this sounded like loud wet flatlucance
Imagine hundreds of those cocksuckers all tearing out of the same parking lot at the same time, three times a day, blipping their throttles at the stoplight constantly, going WOT past a residential area near a school. You've just imagined why I'm so glad to be out of Motorcycle Mechanics Institute.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
So, I'm looking to buy a Triumph Daytona 675. It's got a blown CPS sensor, which is a somewhat common problem. While doing my due dilligence across the internet, trying to figure out what context they fail in, if there's some core cause that causes them to blow, I stumble across this loving thread:

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23167

Post #9 - 08-22-08

quote:

took the bike to autozone and got the ecu read via obdII port. 3 dtc's came up:

P1080 exhaust control valve actuator mechanism malfunction
P0335 crankshaft sensor circuit malfunction
P0353 ignition coil 3 circuit malfunction

checked the exup and it seems fine. lubed it up as well as the cables. the servo functions properly too.

the ignition coil is ok. i had one off while i was testing spark at the trackday.

i'm not sure what to make of the crankshaft sensor dtc. could it be due to replacing the battery or cranking the motor over without a coil and tank off? or could it mean that the sensor is bad? anyone else have this dtc?

Cue 23 pages of arguing about carbon buildup, the fact that it has "low compression" and "carbon buildup" in cylinder 1 (it looks totally normal). The top end gets pulled, cleaned, rebuilt. Still won't start.

Post #223 - 03-10-10

quote:

replaced the stator/CPS on the 675 and it fired right up. it was the CPS all this time... i should've listened to my friends form the beginning... lesson learned. where's my honorary degree from triumph? i know more than the dealership mechanics...

i must reiterate that ohio motorcycle/cleveland akron honda are incompetent imbeciles. i took them to court for violating consumer protection laws. they misdiagnosed my bike and it cost me 2 grand. also, if you talk to peter carleo tell him to go gently caress himself because he's a 2-faced liar.

How the gently caress do you post the error code on page one, and yet not actually ever check for spark? How did that engine go to 2 separate mechanics without one of them checking for spark?

Daytona 675 owners are idiots. I'll pick mine up tonight, these are now my people. :negative:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I didn't realize bikes came with OBD2. Is this a new thing or have I been living under a rock?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://www.tuneecu.com/

TuneECU pretty much supports all of the modern bikes that come with OBD2. Mostly Triumph/KTM.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

I didn't realize bikes came with OBD2. Is this a new thing or have I been living under a rock?

I think it's mostly a triumph thing, also the fact that it took two years to get that done is :aaaaa:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hope you like the 675. I liked mine initially but the soft power delivery makes it not as fun to ride to me... and we all know how that ends (trading the bike).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Proper fueling on a dyno or whatever will fix that up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I guess I'll give it a shot before I end up with a 07-08 GSXR750. :v:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

You're getting rid of it already?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If getting the thing tuned doesn't make it an animal then maybe. I miss the way an i4 rides and wants to kill you; love everything about the bike except the power delivery.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Daytona 675 owners are idiots. I'll pick mine up tonight, these are now my people. :negative:

Not all of us :P

I find it kind of funny that the EXUP wasn't actually broken, they do tend to seize, and can only be readjusted properly using the triumph service tool for some reason.

I don't know why he assumed the battery or the reg though, if it was the reg it'd still run on the battery for a short while at least?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I guess I'll give it a shot before I end up with a 07-08 GSXR750. :v:

Yeah give it a try. Mine's actually probably going to end up being the wife's bike. One of the things she loves about the triple is they are just so smooth at low RPM that they're really nice to lug around but they're also hell for fast if you rev them out.

Streetfighter project 2.0 here I come.

theperminator posted:

Not all of us :P

I find it kind of funny that the EXUP wasn't actually broken, they do tend to seize, and can only be readjusted properly using the triumph service tool for some reason.

I don't know why he assumed the battery or the reg though, if it was the reg it'd still run on the battery for a short while at least?
I'm going to create a "No idiots allowed" 675 club. If you pitch yours into a marsh riding over your head, you're out. If you're incapable of reading error codes and then acting on that information, you're out. If you mootmoot in a straight line, you're out.

That entire thread is just filled with idiocy. Like, 15 of those pages are 2 or 3 guys beating their chests about carbon buildup and how they've been building motors for like 30 years yet they can't diagnose a loving no spark issue? They don't know that a compression/leakdown test is a static test that sometimes is flawed because the valves aren't really hammering into the head the way they do at speed/load and that trivial carbon buildup can cause some leakage that will make an artificially low reading? They don't know that they're supposed to be done hot? They don't know that short of a very obvious catastrophic failure, there's no way a bike that was running just fine that is suddenly going to not run at all due to carbon buildup? That when they shoot some gas into the intake and nothing happens, it's because you have no spark?

It's loving astounding. I feel a little bad for the OP because the other morons in the thread led him really wrong, but mostly I just feel like punching everyone in that thread in the throat and/or balls for being such morons.

Seriously, a year and a half. Top end gets pulled, disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt, because no one could check for spark? It's some loving :psyduck: poo poo.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

Z3n posted:

I'm an idiot and I own a Daytona 675. Confirmed.

I'm actually looking to get rid of mine you should have bought mine! But everything on it works perfectly so that's probably not up your alley.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AngryGuy posted:

I'm an idiot and I own a Daytona 675. Confirmed.

I'm actually looking to get rid of mine you should have bought mine! But everything on it works perfectly so that's probably not up your alley.

It's one of those things where I know a couple of people who own them and seemed like reasonable human beings so I didn't think it would be this bad. It's not until I started digging that I found the real filth.

And yeah, I don't think it's possible for me to buy perfectly working motorcycles. Against my religion or whatever.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

There are idiots anywhere. I have a Triumph Street Triple 675; with the stock throttle tube and map I thought it was a little soft. With a Speed triple throttle tube and a dyno tune it's not nearly as sedate. I have no problem keeping up with my buddy's Ducati 848 on the track.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

wallaka posted:

There are idiots anywhere. I have a Triumph Street Triple 675; with the stock throttle tube and map I thought it was a little soft. With a Speed triple throttle tube and a dyno tune it's not nearly as sedate. I have no problem keeping up with my buddy's Ducati 848 on the track.

Where do you get the throttle tube from? I've been looking.

Also I'm really looking forward to regearing this bike this winter, with one down in the front and possibly one up in the back and the throttle tube the thing should be hairy as hell.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wallaka posted:

It's not slow in the least, it just doesn't have that 'hit' of power an i4 does. I'm waiting for my TuneECU cable to come but I've been looking at this:
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-54213.html

Where do you get the throttle tube from? I've been looking.

Also I'm really looking forward to regearing this bike this winter, with one down in the front and possibly one up in the back and the throttle tube the thing should be hairy as hell.

Dealer - PN: T2040331
My bike is -1/+3 right now... it's not real crazy.

Z3n posted:

It's one of those things where I know a couple of people who own them and seemed like reasonable human beings so I didn't think it would be this bad. It's not until I started digging that I found the real filth.
It's seriously like the BMW car forums - tons of idiots everywhere.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 13, 2012

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
If you want to order parts online instead of going to the dealer you can get them from the following places
Bikebandit.com - if you're in the US
worldoftriumph.com - Everywhere else

I had thought about the Speed Triple tube myself, but never really got around to it.
I'm pretty happy with my bike as it is, pretty much stock.

BlackMK4 posted:

It's not slow in the least, it just doesn't have that 'hit' of power an i4 does.

I think I know exactly what you mean, when I rode a buddies CBR600RR it felt like a turbo had kicked in once it hit it's stride.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n if you want an r/r I still have mine somewhere I think.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
675.net is known as a cesspool. TriumphRAT is, well, a little better.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

675.net is known as a cesspool. TriumphRAT is, well, a little better.

Would any of those places know of a place where I can get some loving race bars or crash cages for my street 675? I want some protection but most sliders look like they wouldn't do poo poo, and the only company I can find that does something like that (Freestyle Innovations) has a product that not only looks flimsy but also go under the headers, making any kind of tight turn a sketchy proposition.

poo poo's frustrating.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Would any of those places know of a place where I can get some loving race bars or crash cages for my street 675? I want some protection but most sliders look like they wouldn't do poo poo, and the only company I can find that does something like that (Freestyle Innovations) has a product that not only looks flimsy but also go under the headers, making any kind of tight turn a sketchy proposition.

poo poo's frustrating.

Here's my sliders after a lowside/t-bone/I dunno what happened:

Here's the bike, you be the judge of how easily they snap off:

IIRC, they're all made by R&G Engineering, but I may be mistaken, there's some good info on sliders over at triumph675.net if you can bear the idiocy over there.

http://www.rg-racing.com/RGProducts/

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
GB Racing bundle is pretty epic too, I've got it on my bike.
http://www.gbracing.eu/Triumph.113/...6418cbffd463718

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

theperminator posted:

GB Racing bundle is pretty epic too, I've got it on my bike.
http://www.gbracing.eu/Triumph.113/...6418cbffd463718

This is what I have on my bike as well. They look great too.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor
A couple of weeks ago I was at Wal-mart. As I headed back out to my bike, parked on the sidewalk, I happened to notice a young man and his girlfriend (I presume) approach me. The guy is laughing and, pointing to my bike, cries with mirth: "That's a girl's bike!" (Honda Rebel 250). I replied "Oh, really? So where is your motorcycle?" as I look around. He tells me, without breaking stride, "I don't ride motorcycles. They're too dangerous."

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Wulframn posted:

A couple of weeks ago I was at Wal-mart. As I headed back out to my bike, parked on the sidewalk, I happened to notice a young man and his girlfriend (I presume) approach me. The guy is laughing and, pointing to my bike, cries with mirth: "That's a girl's bike!" (Honda Rebel 250). I replied "Oh, really? So where is your motorcycle?" as I look around. He tells me, without breaking stride, "I don't ride motorcycles. They're too dangerous."

My neighbor is a weekend warrior with a Harley. Asked me what I rode and I told him I had a Rebel 250 and he countered with "I shouldn't even be talking too you then." Alright bud, let's see you ride that behemoth downtown during rush hour you fat gently caress.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

It must be the cruiser 250 that sets them off. I had nothing but praise when I was on the Wr250X :3:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
A guy at work had a helmet on his desk, so I said "hey, cool, what do you ride?"
"Suzuki Intruder. It's a cruiser."
"Yeah, I've seen those. Cool."
"Do you ride?"
"Yeah, I've got an old Honda...a '71 350 scrambler."
*disdainful expression* "You need something with more power, man. You can't even get out of the way of traffic on that thing."

OOokay. Course dude is about twice my weight and built like a brick shithouse, so he would probably look like a circus bear on my CL, but still, no need to immediately start off like that. I accelerate just great in the 25-65mph range thank you very much :colbert:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

My neighbor is a weekend warrior with a Harley. Asked me what I rode and I told him I had a Rebel 250 and he countered with "I shouldn't even be talking too you then." Alright bud, let's see you ride that behemoth downtown during rush hour you fat gently caress.

That's just completely out of line.

Now if you had a scooter...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

nsaP posted:

That's just completely out of line.

Now if you had a scooter...

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Wulframn and LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

We're not going to take any poo poo about riding a Rebel.

Buying a motorcycle for status and to ride only in perfect weather 3 days a year is stupid in and of itself. Renting is cheaper and less maintenance, but payments on an unused machine earns you bragging rights to all kinds of people sure to be unimpressed.

Anyway, I think it's a bit harsh to call it a girl's bike. I'd say it's more of a kid's bike.

quote:

A new rider, Thomas Cronan aboard his Honda 250cc Rebel (Yes, I said 250 Rebel) running in the M/G-250/4 class, ran an impressive 81+MPH and this young man is destined for racing faster and faster. The Honda Rebel even impressed me for it's top speed without any real aerodynamics to speak of. Outstanding Thomas. Great Job, Well Done!!!

I remember how big and scary those were when I took the MSF, but sitting on one was enough to understand how small they are. I hope you dudes are short.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

6' 1", but the bike was $800 running fairly well. It does have a custom seat on it that thankfully nets me a couple of extra inches of leg room. I mainly use it for commuting anyway, but I'm going to buy a bigger (at least physically) bike sometime next year so I can take longer pleasure trips too.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Halo_4am posted:

Buying a motorcycle for status and to ride only in perfect weather 3 days a year is stupid in and of itself. Renting is cheaper and less maintenance, but payments on an unused machine earns you bragging rights to all kinds of people sure to be unimpressed.

I laugh every time I see a CL add that says the bike's "never been ridden in the rain." I guess that explains why that 2005 has 2,000 miles on it. You bought a bike in Seattle... why?

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Halo_4am posted:

Anyway, I think it's a bit harsh to call it a girl's bike. I'd say it's more of a kid's bike.

I remember how big and scary those were when I took the MSF, but sitting on one was enough to understand how small they are. I hope you dudes are short.

My post was less about "Rebel Rage" and more focused on the delicious, soul-nourishing irony that is a man who, presumably, possesses no genitalia mocking me for what he perceives to be a "girl's bike".

Personally I am 6' and the bike is on the small side; I am hoping to upgrade it with a saddle mod and maybe a peg mod as well. I purchased this bike because it was inexpensive, had excellent reviews, and was in good repair. It has proven to be very reliable and that is what I need right now: cheap, reliable transportation. In the future I am hoping to upgrade to a larger, heavier bike.

Ultimately, however, I do not catch much - if any - grief on riding my Rebel. Most bikers will wave at me - even some Harley guys - and if anyone says something to me it is primarily to ask what my bike is or to compliment me on being a rider myself.

As to the performance of the bike: it does accelerate very nicely and mine can hit at least 80mph. It will develop enough power to lift its front tire off the ground if I wrangle the situation right. However, I use it just for commuting through the city and my average speed is probably 45 mph.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Wulframn posted:

It will develop enough power to lift its front tire off the ground if I wrangle the situation right.

By dumping the clutch while bouncing off the rev limiter? Any other situation I doubt it.

I do appreciate where you're coming from though. Anybody willing to ride is a person showing that they're willing to accept a much higher risk of death than the rest of our society, and therefor have more balls than most. People who talk poo poo but don't ride are dumb. It's like, congrats your buddy has a gixxa 1000 dude, shame you're too scared to ride it and too lazy or incompetent to learn.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Pope Mobile posted:

I laugh every time I see a CL add that says the bike's "never been ridden in the rain." I guess that explains why that 2005 has 2,000 miles on it. You bought a bike in Seattle... why?

Ha, spot on. I'm in Seattle and bought my 2006 650R with less than 1500 miles on it.

Then promptly put 4000+ miles on it between June and now. More than I've put on my car in the same time period.

The thing more or less just lived in a garage since new, doing nothing but depreciating. It was a great find and hasn't given me any trouble. Thanks guy-who-bought-a-bike-and-barely-rode-it!

I'm not eager to ride in the rain, but I'm not afraid of it and sometimes it happens and you just deal with it.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 12, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Pope Mobile posted:

I get asked pretty often "What do you do when it rains?" The same thing you do when walking - I get wet or put on rain gear. If you can't ride in the rain in Western Washington you can never ride.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I'll readily admit to being the type that doesn't ride in the rain, but I wouldn't have bought a bike if I lived in a place where it dumped rain for most of the year. I'll reconsider riding in the rain once my application for a monthly spot near my office gets accepted (it's been 3+ months at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

By dumping the clutch while bouncing off the rev limiter? Any other situation I doubt it.

I do appreciate where you're coming from though. Anybody willing to ride is a person showing that they're willing to accept a much higher risk of death than the rest of our society, and therefor have more balls than most. People who talk poo poo but don't ride are dumb. It's like, congrats your buddy has a gixxa 1000 dude, shame you're too scared to ride it and too lazy or incompetent to learn.

You can youtube it and watch videos of people utilizing the passenger seat or pegs to help flip the bike up.

I had never done a wheelie on a motorized two-wheeler before so I was just out messing around on a vacant stretch of road. I got it up to about 55 in third gear - where it wants to gear up to fourth - pulled in the clutch, dropped the gear to second, then dumped the clutch. I got enough lift for about 3 or 4 inches. I'm too new and frightened of a tank-slapper to experiment more for right now.

• Locked thread