Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Tales of Game's Studios are making a sequel to the greatest indie RPG of all time. Prepare yourselves for Barkley 2.

I fully expect an LP for this treasure of treasures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Akbar posted:

Tales of Game's Studios are making a sequel to the greatest indie RPG of all time. Prepare yourselves for Barkley 2.

I fully expect an LP for this treasure of treasures.

While this is great news, I'm not sure it's really worth mentioning in here. We have a whole actual Games forum for discussing games and games announcements.

Wow!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Zorak posted:

While this is great news, I'm not sure it's really worth mentioning in here. We have a whole actual Games forum for discussing games and games announcements.

Poor fella missed the LP request thread by this much.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Poor fella missed the LP request thread by this much.

I would also not recommend posting LP requests for games that are barely even announced yet.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Zorak posted:

I would also not recommend posting LP requests for games that are barely even announced yet.

Yeah, I figured since LP was the forum that introduced me to CBB:SUJ:G in the first place (and that I had no idea where to post in Games since it's all megathreads now), I'd put up a little mention in the Sandcastle.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Niggurath posted:

So I made a test post a day or two ago, and it was mentioned by Mr. Swoon that it might be good just to have comedic banter over the cutscenes. So here is another attempt with me and a buddy talking over the cutscenes and being a bit more laid back about it. Also I'll have the original video with the mildly straighter commentary. So which one works better?

Trapt Test Post with more talking

Trapt Test Post without so much talking

Please go with the less talky one.
Your banter one just comes off as forced and awkward. I'm not sure if that's because your co-commentator just doesn't feel comfortable with the whole idea yet or something else is going on. Bottom line is the talky one was painful to get through.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

TwoDayLife posted:

Please go with the less talky one.
Your banter one just comes off as forced and awkward. I'm not sure if that's because your co-commentator just doesn't feel comfortable with the whole idea yet or something else is going on. Bottom line is the talky one was painful to get through.
Aye, that's the feeling I'm getting; leavemywife is a good friend and he's a good LP'er that I like to invite into things, but this might not be the best place for that. I feel bad that if either one was painful to get through; the game is actually pretty fun to play and I figured it might be fun to watch me torture some poor sods.

Also just cause I had it lying around and also cause it's super short, here is me solo but being more talky (hopefully less painful to hear):

Trapt Test Post Solo with Talking over Cutscenes

Basically the only real difference between this and the initial is the talking over cutscenes.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

First potential LP. Video quality's not great, but I'm recording off of my old PS2 and I'm not sure how to get it any better. There are a couple of bits where my capture card took a dump, particularly in the transition between cutscenes. It didn't cut off anything important, but it's still annoying.

Yellow? Is it me you’re looking for? Let’s play Ace Combat 04!

Also known as Distant Thunder to Eurogoons. Yeah, we got the better title.

What the hell is this?
Ace Combat is a ludicrously unrealistic flight sim series with a casual disregard for physics, a penchant for over-the-top superweapons, and terrible, terrible voice acting, all set in a alternate world known as Strangereal.

The story of Shattered Skies is as follows: In 1999, an asteroid was discovered to be on a collision course to Strangereal. The nation of Erusea built Stonehenge, a massive complex of nuclear railguns, to protect the planet. They succeeded, but by 2004 they realized that it also made a fantastic anti-air weapon, and used it to aid in their conquest of the Usean continent.

You are Mobius 1, a pilot in service of the Independent State Allied Forces (ISAF), facing off against Erusea’s massive military might, led by the fearsome Yellow Squadron. ISAF has been pushed back to their last remaining airbase on the continent, and it’s up to you to retake the continent and win the war.

Why should I care?
Because the Ace Combat series is widely regarded as the best flight games on consoles, the 4-5-Zero generation as the best of the series, and 4 as the best of its generation. Between rock-solid gameplay, a surprisingly resonant story, and a HOLY SHITBALLS FUCKAWESOME SOUNDTRACK , I would rank this as one of the best games, period, on the PS2.

What’s the format of this LP?
We’ll be playing a New Game+ in order to show off nearly every plane in the game. Ace Combat 4 has 18 missions and 21 planes, but in a fresh new game, the unlock order is sporadic and unevenly paced. It would mean that many planes could’t be shown at all while others would have to be flown more than once. Since this is a new game+, I can show off one plane per mission, with one reserved for the post-game Trial Missions and two, unfortunately, not shown at all.

The two that I won’t be using are the Su-37 and the F-117. The former because it’s practically identical to the Su-35 and it’ll be seen plenty regardless, and the latter because it sucks rear end and is terrible.

This means that the thread won’t be voting on what I fly. Sorry. Also, some planes will be shown off before they’re actually properly unlocked in a fresh game.

Every mission is full of dialogue in the form of radio transmissions, but I’ll be talking over some of it regardless. Don’t worry, everything is subtitled.

List of Episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl5Z6mwKSUc

List of Planes

TheMooseOwns
Nov 8, 2012

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.

ninjahedgehog posted:

First potential LP. Video quality's not great, but I'm recording off of my old PS2 and I'm not sure how to get it any better. There are a couple of bits where my capture card took a dump, particularly in the transition between cutscenes. It didn't cut off anything important, but it's still annoying.

HAH! I used to be all crazy about Ace combat.
I do not know why you did not edit the first part out though. It is just a fill out.
Anyway! The video oddly took me a while to load, never experienced that before. And it is only 16 minuets long. Either the file is large or my network is just laughing at me.
I know you told us a little about the quality, however I do not know why not just upload in 720HDp, it could also just be the reason of you JUST uploaded the video and YouTube did not process it yet. Well of course it is the PS2 and you are not able to export in HD. Most editing software gives you the opportunity to render in 720HDp.mp4 or whichever format you use, so why not just go for it.
Your audio is quiet unbalanced. I know you did your best to increase the in-game talking and cinematics. It just makes my ear blow, since you boost the audio too loud, at least for me, a headset user. Just keep it the same throughout the game. That would make it all better!
Overall I look forward to watch more Ace combat!

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Redundant posted:

I don't know how easy it would be but one option for this kind of situation is to do your own remixed version of the original music.

An orchestration, maybe? If I can pull it off I'll do it.

davidspackage posted:

You stated why you picked Half-Life 2 specifically, but maybe you could use scenes from multiple games? I suppose taking audience suggestions would be unrealistic, but it might make things more lively.

I'd like to do that in the future when I've built up some confidence and experience with the tools and with composing in general. It sounds like fun, but a bit daunting at the moment.

sentrygun posted:

If he talks about his process I think it'd get a pretty solid response, with something for everyone to talk about. I'd rather see him do things he wants to do instead of taking suggestions from the LP white noise cloud.

When I do my next test post I'll also add a bit on technical process, but more importantly I'll do spot notes as well. This will be a more cohesive version of the notes I take while watching the recorded footage to prepare for the next stage. What I'm hoping is that I'll be able to notice some interesting things which aren't immediately obvious when you're looking at the game from the perspective of a player, but we'll see how well that works.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TheMooseOwns posted:

HAH! I used to be all crazy about Ace combat.
I do not know why you did not edit the first part out though. It is just a fill out.
Anyway! The video oddly took me a while to load, never experienced that before. And it is only 16 minuets long. Either the file is large or my network is just laughing at me.
I know you told us a little about the quality, however I do not know why not just upload in 720HDp, it could also just be the reason of you JUST uploaded the video and YouTube did not process it yet. Well of course it is the PS2 and you are not able to export in HD. Most editing software gives you the opportunity to render in 720HDp.mp4 or whichever format you use, so why not just go for it.
Your audio is quiet unbalanced. I know you did your best to increase the in-game talking and cinematics. It just makes my ear blow, since you boost the audio too loud, at least for me, a headset user. Just keep it the same throughout the game. That would make it all better!
Overall I look forward to watch more Ace combat!

Upscaling a 480 video to 720 will probably make the text unreadable while not really adding anything in terms of video quality, so gently caress it

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yellow? Is it me you’re looking for? Let’s play Ace Combat 04!

Also known as Distant Thunder to Eurogoons. Yeah, we got the better title.

What the hell is this?
Ace Combat is a ludicrously unrealistic flight sim series with a casual disregard for physics, a penchant for over-the-top superweapons, and terrible, terrible voice acting, all set in a alternate world known as Strangereal.

The story of Shattered Skies is as follows: In 1999, an asteroid was discovered to be on a collision course to Strangereal. The nation of Erusea built Stonehenge, a massive complex of nuclear railguns, to protect the planet. They succeeded, but by 2004 they realized that it also made a fantastic anti-air weapon, and used it to aid in their conquest of the Usean continent.

You are Mobius 1, a pilot in service of the Independent State Allied Forces (ISAF), facing off against Erusea’s massive military might, led by the fearsome Yellow Squadron. ISAF has been pushed back to their last remaining airbase on the continent, and it’s up to you to retake the continent and win the war.

Why should I care?
Because the Ace Combat series is widely regarded as the best flight games on consoles, the 4-5-Zero generation as the best of the series, and 4 as the best of its generation. Between rock-solid gameplay, a surprisingly resonant story, and a HOLY SHITBALLS FUCKAWESOME SOUNDTRACK , I would rank this as one of the best games, period, on the PS2.

What’s the format of this LP?
We’ll be playing a New Game+ in order to show off nearly every plane in the game. Ace Combat 4 has 18 missions and 21 planes, but in a fresh new game, the unlock order is sporadic and unevenly paced. It would mean that many planes could’t be shown at all while others would have to be flown more than once. Since this is a new game+, I can show off one plane per mission, with one reserved for the post-game Trial Missions and two, unfortunately, not shown at all.

The two that I won’t be using are the Su-37 and the F-117. The former because it’s practically identical to the Su-35 and it’ll be seen plenty regardless, and the latter because it sucks rear end and is terrible.

This means that the thread won’t be voting on what I fly. Sorry. Also, some planes will be shown off before they’re actually properly unlocked in a fresh game.

Every mission is full of dialogue in the form of radio transmissions, but I’ll be talking over some of it regardless. Don’t worry, everything is subtitled.

List of Episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl5Z6mwKSUc

List of Planes

This looks pretty good. I loved Ace Combat 4, the radio chatter really added a lot and the cinematics were actually pretty cool IMO. I'm looking forward to more episodes

deaddoll00
Sep 25, 2012
Let's (VLP) Play Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

~ Watch Trailer ~

Here is my newest attempt using my most recent work. Thank you for any feedback (particularly technical--I'm still very much learning), it's much appreciated!

What is it about?

A survival horror video game developed by Headfirst Productions and published by Bethesda Softworks with 2K Games and Ubisoft for the PC and Xbox systems. A relatively realistic first-person shooter game with psychological horror in an attempt to increase the sense of immersion. The game is based on the works of H. P. Lovecraft, author of "The Call of Cthulhu" and progenitor of the Cthulhu Mythos, and in particular being an reimagined adaptation of Lovecraft's novella The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Set mostly in the year 1922, the story follows Jack Walters, a mentally unstable private eye hired to investigate a disappearance case in Innsmouth, a strange and mysterious town that appears to have cut itself from the rest of the United States.

Why?

I'm a huge nerd for all things H.P. Lovecraft, so this felt like a natural choice for my first, full-length Let's Play attempt. I also love expanding on the mythologies, theories, histories, and monsters of horror games.

What are we talking about?

- The personal history of H.P. Lovecraft. His personality, fears, inspirations, prejudices and interests
- The correlations between the game and the writings that inspired it, largely Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Shadow Out of Time
- Discussing the visual representations for the cults featured in-game, including symbols for the Order of Dagon, Brotherhood of the Yith, and Elder Gods and how they relate to each other.
- Lovecraftian themes (the difference between normal and Lovecraft-perception of reality, the universe and our place in it, higher dimensions and what they mean for its originating creatures)
- The many Eldritch locations and creatures presented in game. Who they are, where they come from, what they want and how they relate to the game
- Easter eggs hidden throughout, such as paintings depicting certain Lovecraftian abominations or areas named for certain characters or stories)
- Theories as relating to the story, characters and different ways that some imagery in-game can be interpreted

Other Resources:

More Information
GameSpot Review
The H.P. Lovecraft Archive

Update Schedule:

I try to produce one - two episodes each week, with episodes ranging from 15 to 20 minutes.

Let's Play Call of Cthulhu Test Post

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

deaddoll00 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 13, 2012

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

deaddoll00 posted:

Haven't had chance to watch the video but already I can tell you this OP needs improvements. It isn't anywhere near long or detailed enough. Go and look at some other OP's to get an idea of what is expected.

deaddoll00
Sep 25, 2012

An Actual Bear posted:

Haven't had chance to watch the video but already I can tell you this OP needs improvements. It isn't anywhere near long or detailed enough. Go and look at some other OP's to get an idea of what is expected.

I'll do so right away, apologies if the format isn't right. I did look at other ones prior to posting and thought I was doing it correctly, could you advise me on what else might be expected? Is it that my OP is just not long enough in terms of information?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Uh, why the hell does this link to the fifth video, instead of the first one?

That and the OP thing are some big issues here. Your OP should be more detailed. Tell us a bit more about the Mythos, about Lovecraft's works that you claim to love so much. An update schedule would be nice, too, maybe make mention of some of the finer points of the game (story, graphics, etc.). Off hand, those are things I can think of, but I'm sure someone better can add more.

deaddoll00
Sep 25, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Uh, why the hell does this link to the fifth video, instead of the first one?

That and the OP thing are some big issues here. Your OP should be more detailed. Tell us a bit more about the Mythos, about Lovecraft's works that you claim to love so much. An update schedule would be nice, too, maybe make mention of some of the finer points of the game (story, graphics, etc.). Off hand, those are things I can think of, but I'm sure someone better can add more.

Apologies, I've now fixed that and added more information. I hope this is acceptable.

deaddoll00 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 13, 2012

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

deaddoll00 posted:

I'm sorry, I had hoped to present you with my newest and what I felt best work for the moment. However I will link to all parts if that is what you want. I've also added some new information and will proceed to add more!
My issue with this is that the point of the sandcastle is to get feedback and advice that you can implement before you start your LP, you're already nearly 2 hours into this. I wouldn't say that 5 videos counts as a "dump" but it does mean that there is a backlog of videos before any changes suggested here come into play. Since people tend to decide whether they will watch an LP in the first few minutes of the first video this all begs the question of whether any advice offered here will help in regards to this LP.

deaddoll00
Sep 25, 2012

Redundant posted:

My issue with this is that the point of the sandcastle is to get feedback and advice that you can implement before you start your LP, you're already nearly 2 hours into this. I wouldn't say that 5 videos counts as a "dump" but it does mean that there is a backlog of videos before any changes suggested here come into play. Since people tend to decide whether they will watch an LP in the first few minutes of the first video this all begs the question of whether any advice offered here will help in regards to this LP.

To address your concern, this was my reason for initially posting my newest part rather than my previous ones. I've been improving each due to suggestions from others and wanted to post what I felt was my best effort to date on these forums, because I didn't want to come in with work I felt was sub-par and my previous parts (largely due to my audio issues--my newest implements a new microphone, but for other reasons as well) just didn't feel good enough. I didn't mean to come across as a dump at all, I genuinely want constructive criticism. I do apologize if I didn't follow protocol here correctly by posting my newest rather than first.

Now I'm a bit unclear on what to do. Should I leave up just the first part, although I need feedback for the most recent? The issue is that there is significant difference between my first and latest.

deaddoll00 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 13, 2012

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
We need to know more about what you actually plan to do. Is that actually what you're going to use as the OP for a thread? Are you going to post those videos you've already done? If that's the case, why are you even doing it as a forum thread?

Here's my advice: You've gotten some practice on how to record. I'm sure you've looked around at how other people are doing things (Right? Right?) From here, I'd suggest starting from scratch. Rewrite your OP, record a new first video that you feel is representative of what what you'll produce, and just write off what you've done so far as a practice run.

deaddoll00
Sep 25, 2012

Tendales posted:

We need to know more about what you actually plan to do. Is that actually what you're going to use as the OP for a thread? Are you going to post those videos you've already done? If that's the case, why are you even doing it as a forum thread?

Here's my advice: You've gotten some practice on how to record. I'm sure you've looked around at how other people are doing things (Right? Right?) From here, I'd suggest starting from scratch. Rewrite your OP, record a new first video that you feel is representative of what what you'll produce, and just write off what you've done so far as a practice run.

Yes, I've looked at other, much better Let's Plays as much as possible, but I do understand your point. I will start a new one from scratch and come back with it as you've suggested. Thank you for your help, it's appreciated!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

deaddoll00 posted:

I also have to ask if you did a search on the LP Master list as Niggurath is currently doing this game and is in fact very close to finishing it. Can you offer something in your videos that will make me want to watch it all again?

deaddoll00
Sep 25, 2012

mateo360 posted:

I also have to ask if you did a search on the LP Master list as Niggurath is currently doing this game and is in fact very close to finishing it. Can you offer something in your videos that will make me want to watch it all again?

I admit I didn't know. And if Niggurath is also doing commentary based on expanding on the mythos in such a way as listed on my OP, I can't think that there is much else there for you but for the possible difference in delivery. I suppose it's subjective to your tastes though.

deaddoll00 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 14, 2012

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

And what you call chaos is my beauty.

deaddoll00 posted:

Turning on the subtitles will definitely help a lot; this game has a lot of slurred unintelligible voice acting.

Also, this could be just me, but you seem to go off into some random inappropriate tangents/quirks quite a few times. Like this: Stuff like that is pretty out of place and breaks the atmosphere that the beginning of this game is trying to build up.

deaddoll00
Sep 25, 2012

KKoserYaks posted:

Turning on the subtitles will definitely help a lot; this game has a lot of slurred unintelligible voice acting.

Also, this could be just me, but you seem to go off into some random inappropriate tangents/quirks quite a few times. Like this: Stuff like that is pretty out of place and breaks the atmosphere that the beginning of this game is trying to build up.

Alright, I will try to reduce those moments. I mostly said that because the cultists had committed mass suicide by poison, so I wanted to speculate on what they may have used. But I see your point, yes.

deaddoll00 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 14, 2012

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

deaddoll00 posted:

Alright, I will try to reduce those moments. I mostly said that because the cultists had **Spoilers** committed mass suicide by poison, so I wanted to speculate on what they may have used. But I see your point, yes.
First off, we got spoiler tags. Just use:
code:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Second: Wow I can't believe you just spoiled your own LP.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

deaddoll00 posted:

I admit I didn't know. And if Niggurath is also doing commentary based on expanding on the mythos in such a way as listed on my OP, I can't think that there is much else there for you but for the possible difference in delivery. I suppose it's subjective to your tastes though.
I'm mostly just make fart noises into a mic while a game plays in the background; people here love me for that style.

But yea, just wanting to echo a couple things that people have said. Definitely turn on subtitles cause the people of Innsmouth become nigh on impossible to understand or talking to Zadok becomes a bit tedious to understand. Also you are kinda talking about some things before they happen in the game; I think in the second video you're discussing the destruction of Innsmouth and what happened to the town before it's really told to you. Granted it's from a story that was published a while ago, but the game is actually going to tell the viewers this later. Why would you tell them ahead of time? Also you should probably turn up your brightness and maybe turn off the frame blending you've got in your encoding process. Also you don't need to have the sneaking enabled if you are crouching; you're just making yourself go even slower than necessary. And there is a bit of artifacting in your video, it might be good to turn your bitrate up a bit with your encoding, especially with how pronounced artifacting can become in dark spots of the game.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Akbar posted:

Yeah, I figured since LP was the forum that introduced me to CBB:SUJ:G in the first place (and that I had no idea where to post in Games since it's all megathreads now), I'd put up a little mention in the Sandcastle.

Here's a thought: you could have made a thread

deaddoll00
Sep 25, 2012

Niggurath posted:

I'm mostly just make fart noises into a mic while a game plays in the background; people here love me for that style.

But yea, just wanting to echo a couple things that people have said. Definitely turn on subtitles cause the people of Innsmouth become nigh on impossible to understand or talking to Zadok becomes a bit tedious to understand. Also you are kinda talking about some things before they happen in the game; I think in the second video you're discussing the destruction of Innsmouth and what happened to the town before it's really told to you. Granted it's from a story that was published a while ago, but the game is actually going to tell the viewers this later. Why would you tell them ahead of time? Also you should probably turn up your brightness and maybe turn off the frame blending you've got in your encoding process. Also you don't need to have the sneaking enabled if you are crouching; you're just making yourself go even slower than necessary. And there is a bit of artifacting in your video, it might be good to turn your bitrate up a bit with your encoding, especially with how pronounced artifacting can become in dark spots of the game.

I will definitely enable subtitles, the folks in town do get a tad garble-tongued. And yes, sorry about giving things away earlier. I actually had someone else warn me about this prior to my more recent parts and so am now conscious not to repeat my mistake. Sometimes I think too closely on the source material and forget what context I'm speaking in. Thank you especially for the technical information. I'm very new to LP and video editing in general and frankly need all the help I can get (I had to google "artifacting" just for example). I'm working on Adobe Premiere to render my videos and I'm still learning.

By the way, apologies for intruding on your present LP (and I love your name, by the way. Shub-Niggurath is my favourite Old One!)

deaddoll00 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 14, 2012

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Niggurath posted:

Aye, that's the feeling I'm getting; leavemywife is a good friend and he's a good LP'er that I like to invite into things, but this might not be the best place for that. I feel bad that if either one was painful to get through; the game is actually pretty fun to play and I figured it might be fun to watch me torture some poor sods.

Also just cause I had it lying around and also cause it's super short, here is me solo but being more talky (hopefully less painful to hear):

Trapt Test Post Solo with Talking over Cutscenes

Basically the only real difference between this and the initial is the talking over cutscenes.

This is a bit better. Honestly, I think co-commentary could work well with this game, but without the forced humor the game has plenty to make fun of there's no need to just say absurd poo poo to fill dead air.

Dithiannim
Nov 8, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

You could give it a try. It'll be a lot of work to get it right though.

Pick up somewhere in the middle of the game (once the cutscenes have settled down, maybe around the section Atoli drags you out to the field) and show us an example of how that would work, Forums stuff, Emails and all in the SSLP test poster. Just link the video you've made and put the Forums stuff in [code] tags.

We'll just have to see if the G.U. games can translate well enough to video with proper editing. Though I'm still of the opinion that mostly screenshots would work best, I enjoy being proven wrong.

Dithiannim posted:

Sure, I'll try out a formal test post here.
Just give me a couple days. I also need to figure how to post screenshots. To the technical thread I go.
Is it alright to try to pitch my introduction if I made a thread, explaining the .hack series and the pretext to the game as well? I just want to get my formatting right.
I really don't want to mess with cutscenes because those are pretty much the only reason to play the game (like all JRPGs). I don't think cutscenes translate well to being transcribed... they lose emphasis, voice acting, and the accompanying music.

Alright, I've finished with my introduction if I made a thread and have completely finished Update #4 where there is less cutscenes like Cernunnos said.
Is there going to be any issues if I post all of this here? It's about 50000 characters long with two videos and 40 or so screenclips. I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Dithiannim posted:

Alright, I've finished with my introduction if I made a thread and have completely finished Update #4 where there is less cutscenes like Cernunnos said.
Is there going to be any issues if I post all of this here? It's about 50000 characters long with two videos and 40 or so screenclips. I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

What exactly are you doing to get 50,000 characters with only 40 screenshots and 2 videos? :stare:

For comparison's sake, the longest update I ever did for my LP of the the first game of the original series was about the same length, but 10x the number of screenshots. Either way, definitely use the screenshot test poster listed in the OP.

Dithiannim
Nov 8, 2012

Well I was told to transcribe the forums, site news, and emails of this game. It's where a lot of the characters came from.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9113

Hopefully this linked correctly.

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande

Seems solid. I have only one question: are you recording on RGB or component (might be my eyes but the video seems "washed")? If you could it would be better to record with the latter (better video quality).

And some advices too: you'll probably attract some aircraft enthusiast with this LP; If I may I'll suggest to embrace co-commentary wholeheartedly because this forum has pretty cool dudes who can share a lot of info on them.

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

And what you call chaos is my beauty.

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Vertical split? what is wrong with you people

Maybe it's just me but in my opinion horizontal split offers more readability and I don't know that I would actually watch any split screen LP without it (unless it's a Tony Hawk one but even that is pushing it).

Unfortunately, Halo 2 is one of those games that defaults to a vertical split if the Xbox 360 is set to widescreen, and it's honestly a bit uncomfortable for us to play otherwise.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

KKoserYaks posted:

Unfortunately, Halo 2 is one of those games that defaults to a vertical split if the Xbox 360 is set to widescreen, and it's honestly a bit uncomfortable for us to play otherwise.

Yeah, okay, I could see that if you're playing on the 360 w/ a forced widescreen, though it still looks a little cramped (considering it scales vertically then adjusts your FOV to compensate). I haven't tried playing it or the first one on the 360 since I still have my XBOX so it is way weird to me.

TheMooseOwns
Nov 8, 2012

Since it is my very first introduction, I would really appreciate criticism, so I know what to do better for my first actual episode! Hopefully you can help me out here.

I have created only one post in here as a Let's Play, even though it did not go well, I am trying again. But this time the right way! (As I have seen other LPers do it.)

TEST POST

Shadow of The Colossus

Overview
Wanda to Kyozō > Wander and the Colossus was originally released in Japan and North America in 2005 later on, in 2006 it was released for the rest of the world to play. For the Europe release they translated the title to the ,now known, Shadow of the Colossus.
It is set in a fantasy world known as The Forbidden Land. Covered by mountains in the north and sea to east and west; gives a beautiful and very emotional view while traveling to each colossi.

Characters
Wander

The game does not focus too much on the background story of its characters. However we are told that Wander is our protagonist and we will be playing as him. Being Wander; your goal is to resurrect Mono. She being the lost unknown girl you are carrying around, taking her to the Shrine of Worship temple to hopefully revive her from the powers of Dormin.

Mono

We know very little about this character. The only knowledge we get from the game is, that she has been sacrificed the believed reason of having a cursed destiny. Wander desperately does his best to get her back to life.

Lord Emon

Lord Emon is a shaman who narrates a vision in the game's introduction, vaguely explaining the origin of the land Wander has come to, and emphasising that entry to this place is forbidden. He is portrayed as having extensive knowledge regarding the containment of Dormin, and the ability to use powerful magic. He has a small group of warriors at his command, and is pursuing Wander to prevent the use of "the forbidden spell", the ritual involving the destruction of the sixteen colossi and the restoration of Dormin's power.

Dormin
Dormin is a mysterious, disembodied entity. In legends of the game's world, it is said that Dormin has the power to revive the dead and it is for this reason that Wander enters the forbidden land, seeking its assistance in reviving Mono. Dormin offers to revive her in exchange for Wander destroying the sixteen colossi. Dormin, which spells Nimrod backwards, has been speculated to be a reference to the body of the biblical King Nimrod which was cut up and scattered.

The Colossi

The colossi are armored, most often enormous creatures with forms ranging from various humanoids to predatory animals, and live in all manner of surroundings and environments including beneath water and flying through the air. Their bodies are a fusion of organic and inorganic parts such as rock, earth, fur, and architectural elements, some of which are weathered or fractured. Some colossi ignore Wander and will only attack when provoked, while others will attack on sight. Inhabiting specific locations in the forbidden land, they do not venture outside their own territory. Once slain they will remain where fallen as a mound of earth and rock vaguely resembling the original colossus.

Intro
Episode One

I have been lurking around a lot of Let's Play threads and this is how the average looks like. I do believe I am in the right way, however if you have any criticism or improvements for my layout/gameplay/quality, feel free to tell me! I appreciate it.

TheMooseOwns fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 14, 2012

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Where's Agro's character bio? :colbert:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

So is there a reason you copy pasted most/all of your OP from Wikipedia? Because that's a pretty lazy thing to do and not even mention.

TheMooseOwns
Nov 8, 2012

Frocobo posted:

Where's Agro's character bio? :colbert:

Well he is a horse. But.. I will make one and draw him on the original post. For sure!

EDIT:

quote:

So is there a reason you copy pasted most/all of your OP from Wikipedia? Because that's a pretty lazy thing to do and not even mention.

The only Wikipedia I have used in this OP was Dormin and Lord Emon, as they are the only characters I do not remember from the game. I will play it through tomorrow and get my own view on those characters and then write it down on the original post.
- Thanks.

TheMooseOwns fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Volt Catfish posted:

It gives it that authentic "poo poo post" feel.

• Locked thread