Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

orcane posted:

Just curious, what's so special about "third person" games that needs a controller for optimal control?

I started using a controller on GTA since I hated driving with keyboard and it kind of stuck with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

orcane posted:

Just curious, what's so special about "third person" games that needs a controller for optimal control?

It wasn't really moving around in the third person, for me. I went out and got a controller for this game specifically because it uses a more realistic physics engine for vehicles that was designed around a game controller, and the ability to adjust values more smoothly and accurately. When you're driving with a keyboard, you just don't get the same action as with a controller, so your driving is even clunkier, and don't get me started on shooting while driving.

On another note...

As much as I loved breaking my computer's back, trying to play GTA4, I recently purchased the Xbox Complete Edition with both Episodes along with my GTA5 preorder. So, I'm looking forward to playing online with any goon who's down to sandbox it. I've also got another buddy on hand, if you would like to play through some ranked matches or Hangman's Noose.

That is, if you aren't all playing Halo 4.

You're all playing Halo 4, aren't you. :negative:

Gamertag: Dr Gonzo OZA

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
What time zone are you? I'd be up for that but I'm GMT so it might be awkward to set up.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Looking at all the post-Sandy pictures of New York makes me want a mod or something for GTA IV that lets you run around in post hurricane Liberty City.

Edited:

Apparently mods already exist to make it close enough...
http://www.igta5.com/forums/topic/2836-gta-iv-hurricane-sandy/

Zedicus Mann fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 7, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That third video made no sense to me. Was there really high wind or something? I didn't understand why things were exploding and there was water spraying everywhere for some reason.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

That third video made no sense to me. Was there really high wind or something? I didn't understand why things were exploding and there was water spraying everywhere for some reason.

There was actually water on the streets. The waves hid it most of the time. I guess the stuff flying around was to simulate crazy high wind. :shrug:

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Best way to simulate a Hurricane in GTA4 is to spam the water cannon from a firetruck from all points above ground, in one direction, and watch as the world is blown away.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/377653/gta-v-full-details-bank-heists-dynamic-missions-and-underwater-gameplay/

Just read this. I have wood.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bloody hell. This is going to be fantastic even if it's only half of that.

I mean it's GTA so everyone was going to play it anyway, it's just good to know it sounds worth it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Reminder for anyone who might still have only this GTA thread bookmarked: there's a GTA 5 thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514948

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Should we then expand this into a Rockstar games megathread so it has more use?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Should we then expand this into a Rockstar games megathread so it has more use?

I'm open to that if the mods are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've been watching some videos of GTAIV demonstrating some various mods for LCPDFR and wow, people really seem like running really lovely mods. People seem to install new cars that don't have door opening animations, something that glitches out and turns the sky red over and over again. Entire chunks of the map were just vanishing while he was saying "please don't crash, please don't crash" over and over again. And he didn't like using GPS to get to crimes because it "isn't realistic."

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The flashing red sky is caused by a bug with the iCEnhancer shader mod and game version 1.0.07/EFLC.

It's actually a really awesome mod if you don't mind the flashing red sky periodically and you've got a super computer to run it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Upmarket Mango posted:

The flashing red sky is caused by a bug with the iCEnhancer shader mod and game version 1.0.07/EFLC.

It's actually a really awesome mod if you don't mind the flashing red sky periodically and you've got a super computer to run it.

There's a fix for the red sky now, and yeah it is an awesome mod.

http://icenhancer.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=help&action=display&thread=735

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
My question is are there any mods that make driving more arcade-y? I'm talking like GTA 3/VC/SA or even Saints Row. I don't want to get into the whole controller vs. kb+m thing, I just would love a mod that made it more fun to drive. Realism is the last of my concerns when playing a GTA game, to be honest.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
The Guardian got to interview Dan Houser about the new GTA, here is a link to the full article, it's an exciting read.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/nov/12/grand-theft-auto-v-preview-gta-5

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Just got IV and EFLC from the Steam sale, what mods should I pick up if I've played them before?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This is a pretty fun mod: http://www.lcpdfr.com/files/file/84-lcpd-first-response/

There are some other mods that make that one better listed on that site. It's really extended my play time with GTAIV. You can watch videos of people roleplaying police on youtube, which is kind of creepy.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Cojawfee posted:

This is a pretty fun mod: http://www.lcpdfr.com/files/file/84-lcpd-first-response/

There are some other mods that make that one better listed on that site. It's really extended my play time with GTAIV. You can watch videos of people roleplaying police on youtube, which is kind of creepy.

Looks kind of fun, and yea some of these guys are creepy. And hypocrits.

"Ok now I'm going to pull this guy over for swerving"

*had just swerved into three civilians in the previous car chase*

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I just picked up San Andreas off Steam. It's been a few years since I've played through it, but have never done it on PC. What are some "must have" mods for it? Also, whenever I drive real fast, there is some kind of distortion/speed effect. Can I turn that off?

I also have a 360 pad. Is there an easy way to configure it?

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
I usually go for the Things to Do in San Andreas mod. It adds some cut content and switches some details around to make a little more sense. For example, there's a mission where you had to steal your car back from the impound lot.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Cojawfee posted:

I have this installed in EFLC so I can mash F12 and go on Blues Brother style car chases.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Scorched Spitz posted:

I usually go for the Things to Do in San Andreas mod. It adds some cut content and switches some details around to make a little more sense. For example, there's a mission where you had to steal your car back from the impound lot.

I tried to install this to my Steam copy of the game and no luck. Goddamit, Steam.

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

You have to at least post the best video on youtube about it!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Himuro posted:

I tried to install this to my Steam copy of the game and no luck. Goddamit, Steam.

You need to downgrade your SA version first.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

This alone would be enough to get me to reinstall GTAIV :stare:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We could possibly get together and play some LCPD online or something.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

get out posted:

I just picked up San Andreas off Steam. It's been a few years since I've played through it, but have never done it on PC. What are some "must have" mods for it?

I'm not only curious about this too, but I'm also wondering how the hell do you get them to work in the first place? I tried a retexture mod and that San Andreas HD mod someone had posted screenshots for earlier and whenever I try to launch the game nothing happens. :psyduck:

Tried the delete-the-set-file trick, tried reinstalling, tried running it in compatibility mode and nothing works. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think you have to download a game crack for an earlier version of the game. How you do that is up to you. Or perhaps there was some sort of reverse patcher, I forget how. Just google how to get mods to work for the steam version.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Remember the Hot Coffee mod? After that happened Rockstar went back and patched San Andreas to be way harder to mod, and this includes the version released on Steam. You have to downgrade to an easily modded version or install a bunch of cracks to get them to work on new versions.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ugh, that sounds like a hassle. I just wanted to play SA and not have it look like rear end. :(

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Me too. Every time someone posts about how easy it is to mod SA for graphics or gamepad I look it up and try. No dice. I can barely get the normal version to work properly, the colours are all out of whack. So annoying

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

It's times like these I'm glad I have that disc of San Andreas: Version 1. :smug:

DirtyOldDishrag
May 16, 2009
Searching about downgrading GTA:SA on Steam, I found this:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1952458

About to use it now and try the Things To Do mod.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
You need CLEO to install the The Things to Do Mod, by the way.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

radiatinglines posted:

There's a fix for the red sky now, and yeah it is an awesome mod.

http://icenhancer.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=help&action=display&thread=735

You. I could kiss you. But then my wife would be upset.

gently caress that red sky forever.

PS first-person/no HUD IV is a-loving-mazing, especially with this mod. Takes a little more work to play (lots of pausing, ok-right-then-second-left stuff), but its a whole different game. Hopefully by "cutscenes render properly," that link means the totally blown out mid-2000s bloom cutscenes are a thing of the past. :(

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 14, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I downgraded, installed CLEO 4.1, and Things To Do in San Andreas installation still won't let me install.

DirtyOldDishrag
May 16, 2009

Himuro posted:

I downgraded, installed CLEO 4.1, and Things To Do in San Andreas installation still won't let me install.

After you point it to your Steam installation, it still adds an extra "GTA San Andreas" onto the end. Take it off and the install button should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

DirtyOldDishrag posted:

After you point it to your Steam installation, it still adds an extra "GTA San Andreas" onto the end. Take it off and the install button should work.

Nope.

• Locked thread