Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think a good chunk of Final Fantasy games are more mature than Witcher 2, honestly.

Note, this is not a bad thing or a good thing. Maturity in and of itself means nothing. I've read, seen, and played things that were mature that were pretty terrible, and some of my favorite stories are pretty light-hearted at their core. Being a grown-rear end man doesn't mean you have to like nothing but gritty, serious stuff. Maturity doesn't mean being incredibly serious 24/7, and immaturity isn't solely the result of cracking a smile or having bright colors. Honestly, most of the more juveline-seeming moments in RPGs are the result of trying too hard to be mature and deep and meaningful.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

Honestly, most of the more juveline-seeming moments in RPGs are the result of trying too hard to be mature and deep and meaningful.

This. Even being a grown rear end lady, the more "deep and meaningful" moments are usually the most painfully cringe worthy. Granted that applies more to anime, there are moments in FF where I can tell that my rigorous eye rolling is not the reaction the writers wanted from the audience. Not sayin' I'm first in line to buy Let's Count To Ten And Learn Our Shapes: Final Fantasy Edition, but actively expecting a """""mature"""" RPG just strikes me as being incredibly out of place and painfully easy to gently caress up. Not saying RPGs can't be mature, or handle mature themes and plot points, but I could technically extend the argument to say that the act of playing video games is what is immature, not the game itself (which is a silly argument).

Ballin Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 13, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would say that it's almost right, but not because video games are inherently immature. It is that most video games are unbridled power fantasy and that is pretty inherently not going to be conductive to anything more. Occasionally you'll get a game that satirizes the power fantasy in gaming but even then it's relying on the assumption most games are like that.

RPGs more than anything are kind of inevitably immersed in that because one of their definitive features is growing more powerful. (Either through stats or rarely through simply power progression.) To do an RPG without power fantasy is hard because the goal of RPGs is usually accumulating power in some fashion or another.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

"Maturity" isn't the be-all/end-all goal of all stories. Simple and light adventure has a purpose as well. It isn't mature but neither is it childish. It simply is.

Y'know, I totally agree. My interpretation of this might be different from yours, but honestly I think games need a good Roald Dahl or Theodor Geisel. They don't need Murakami Haruki or William Faulkner; they need someone to represent a simple tale on simple terms that possibly runs deeper than what you see on the surface but isn't heavy-handed or preachy or anything, nor is it gratuitously grim or inappropriately brooding. Light but filling!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Y'know, I totally agree. My interpretation of this might be different from yours, but honestly I think games need a good Roald Dahl or Theodor Geisel. They don't need Murakami Haruki or William Faulkner; they need someone to represent a simple tale on simple terms that runs deeper than what you see on the surface but aren't heavy-handed or preachy or anything, nor are they gratuitously grim or inappropriately brooding. Light but filling!

Nah, we're completely on the same page here. Light but filling is exactly the sort of thing they need. A simple story with proper execution can be wonderful and it is something gaming could use more of.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Their kickstarter's going to get shut down before it begins. At least one of the people/IPs referenced in it will result in a C&D I'm sure. :sigh:

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Evil Fluffy posted:

Their kickstarter's going to get shut down before it begins. At least one of the people/IPs referenced in it will result in a C&D I'm sure. :sigh:

We all know who's going to send out the first C&D-- The B-Ball Removal Department.

Also, I'm playing FF7 right now and holy god I remember why I love this game. It draws you in so well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I beat FF13-2.

The ending sucks.

I would have been okay about Serah dying, if the rest of the game remained the same. It would make a lot of sense given the theme prior to this. But no, you do everything then right at the last minute Big Evil comes out of nowhere and kills everything. What.

I was glad that Noel at least didn't die first because Noel was loving amazing. It didn't help he wore ACR armor the whole game.

This is what I was talking about wanting a "mature" jrpg, the subject and how things are approached but it still remains lighthearted. This is okay, I didn't mean to imply "gently caress yeah tits and rear end :black101:". I just don't want ff13 angsty goddamn loving poo poo. gently caress that garbage. I mean like I expect it from certain rpgs like Tales games, it's tales games, it's anime. But I want an rpg where the story can hit close to home and not sound like the themes out of a Linkin Park song.

Hope was better, he acted like an adult. It was great. Serah was kind of retarded (I feel like serah was supposed to be The Player)

What happened to Alyssa? Everyone forgot her but Hope said she was still around...

Was it implied that Lightning = Etro? or Serah? It's said that Etro always had a moogle by her side, and mog died when the goddess died.

The secret ending, what was that? Was Caius still alive? Was Yeul? I feel like there was something more to Yeul that wasn't touched on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume you're aware that Final Fantasy XIII-3 is already announced.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I assume you're aware that Final Fantasy XIII-3 is already announced.

Yes, and I hope to god it fixes the timeline that FF13-2 ended with because it stinks by itself.

Also the combat sounds like a Tales game which I am a-okay with.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I beat FF13-2.

The ending sucks.

It's the Empire Strikes Back of the soon-to-be trilogy, so the bad guys are supposed to win this one. V:shobon:V

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I beat FF13-2.

The ending sucks.

It's been awhile since I actually went through 13-2 so I've probably forgotten some fiddly bits, but the general gist of the story is Caius has a plan and it goes off perfectly every step of the way.

Caius is alive in the secret ending because EVERYONE is alive in the ending. Near the end it's revealed that Yeul's constant reincarnation was due to going to Valhalla when she died like everyone else, but instead of moving on or staying there or whatever happens normally she decides to go back and is reincarnated as another version of herself. Caius' idea to break this cycle is to make EVERYWHERE Valhalla by breaking time. Once that happens people don't go anywhere when they die, they just stick around. No death, no life, just existence. You can find a log of sorts in the fake town if you revisit it after the game which is quite obviously from Serah after she dies, but she's clearly still around to make it.

You meet more than one Caius during the game but the only one who really matters is the one at the very end. That guy has had thousands of years to come up with the absolute perfect plan, forever, to blow up time by using Noel (who spent his entire life until the events of the game getting "trained" by Caius just for this purpose) to kill him at exactly the right time and place in order to unleash chaos into the real world. The specifics pretty much escape me now but they were never really that clear to begin with, I think.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yes, and I hope to god it fixes the timeline that FF13-2 ended with because it stinks by itself.

Also the combat sounds like a Tales game which I am a-okay with.

It's more akin to the battle system introduced in the first FFXIII trailer.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Teim posted:

If only Laguna and Zack could hang out together... :allears:

Oh and thanks for the FFIX advice, it looks so much nicer on a modern screen.

KEEP TWO MITHRIL SWORDS.
They're in the recipe for the nearly-best in game armor and in disc 4 you just can't get any.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Due to finally learning about the slowdown fix, I'm tempted to restart FFT: WotL. The last game I started I was kinda lost at what to do without a plan and never made it past chapter one. I've since read a lot more about the job system and battle mechanics and mainly read the battle portions of OFS' FFT LP to get more of a handle on things. At this point should I just do a story play through of the game and leave any super sperg gaming for subsequent plays?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love the FFXIII-2 ending partially because of how dissonant the music is with what's going on and because it sort of does something most JRPGs don't do in that it says "Sometimes evil is just better at what it does than you can ever hope to be."

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Lessail posted:

Due to finally learning about the slowdown fix, I'm tempted to restart FFT: WotL. The last game I started I was kinda lost at what to do without a plan and never made it past chapter one. I've since read a lot more about the job system and battle mechanics and mainly read the battle portions of OFS' FFT LP to get more of a handle on things. At this point should I just do a story play through of the game and leave any super sperg gaming for subsequent plays?

The game becomes easy once you understand the underlying mechanics, and what choices could screw you over. OFS purposely broke the game over his knee in his LP.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What happened to Alyssa? Everyone forgot her but Hope said she was still around...

This is actually one of the more, uh, 'subtle' I guess, points in the game. When you step through that one gate in Academia after collecting all those thingimajigs, Alyssa betrays you and sends you right to Caius. She does this because she finds out that she shouldn't really exist; in the original timeline, she's the one who died, not her friend, and that's why she gets flashes of it. Once you fix some paradoxes, it's as if Alyssa was never there; she's dead and gone, and has been for years.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I just grabbed FFIX off the PSN and played through it again. Still a fantastic game, one of the best in the series I reckon. Definitely seems to have aged well in terms of dialogue etc playing through it again ten years later.

It does suffer a bit from what seemingly all the PS-era ones did though, the whole 'here's the story and the last disc is just the final dungeon' syndrome. Not that terrible but I was a bit surprised when I started the last disc and had pretty much finished the game an hour after.

I also love Chocobo Hot'n'Cold after not playing it as a kid. I think if Tetra Master had tangible gameplay benefits it might stack up well against Triple Triad as well, I played it quite a bit but just stopped because it seemed pointless.

I didn't much like FFXIII but I just picked up XIII-2 on the cheap, so I hope it's alright (I enjoyed the battle system in the previous one so I figure it can't be a big step down).

I was going to ask too - is there a healthy in-between of the original FFIV and the DS remake? I recently gave my DS to a friend who was going away but the SNES original feels too ancient to me (I'm not as patient as I once was). It's the only one of the main series I haven't finished and I'd like to at least attempt it without giving up an hour through.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

PTizzle posted:

I was going to ask too - is there a healthy in-between of the original FFIV and the DS remake? I recently gave my DS to a friend who was going away but the SNES original feels too ancient to me (I'm not as patient as I once was). It's the only one of the main series I haven't finished and I'd like to at least attempt it without giving up an hour through.

SNES version was dumbed down a bit for US audiences (and then Japan dumbed THAT version down and released another version there). Every version since is based off the original, except the DS version which is a complete overhaul. So pretty much any other port you choose will have the original's difficulty, items, and abilities as well as a better translation, the main options being the PS1, GBA, and PSP versions. PSP is the definitive version of the non-DS releases, but the others would work as well.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Mega64 posted:

SNES version was dumbed down a bit for US audiences (and then Japan dumbed THAT version down and released another version there). Every version since is based off the original, except the DS version which is a complete overhaul. So pretty much any other port you choose will have the original's difficulty, items, and abilities as well as a better translation, the main options being the PS1, GBA, and PSP versions. PSP is the definitive version of the non-DS releases, but the others would work as well.

I'll give the PS1 (which I'm assuming is the one on PSN) a go - the difficulty etc isn't too much of an issue for me, I'm just really feeling the age in regards to how it plays. I spose it's either give it a proper go (my SNES along with the game was left interstate a while ago - I could get it back but the person who has it still plays it a lot where I wouldn't) or not bother, so I'll try. Hopefully I can get into it, I'm hoping the thing playing in my favour is I've played a few hours in a few times but never been able to get beyond there for whatever reason. Cheers for the post.

XIII-2's introduction was absolutely horrid and nearly turned me off the game straight away. The opening cutscenes were very pretty but were so...anime I guess? I don't like using that blanket term but it felt like an episode of Dragonball Z (vague deep lines that don't actually mean anything, calling out attacks before they were used etc). Thankfully it's gotten a bit better after a couple of hours and I'm starting to enjoy it quite a bit. It definitely feels more right than XIII itself did at this stage. The dialogue is mostly pathetic (I like the little speech option thing they have now and then though) but the voice acting is solid enough that it's not too bad. Worth the little I paid for it if I get another 10-15 hours out of it really. NORA can gently caress right off though, geez.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

PTizzle posted:

I'll give the PS1 (which I'm assuming is the one on PSN) a go - the difficulty etc isn't too much of an issue for me, I'm just really feeling the age in regards to how it plays. I spose it's either give it a proper go (my SNES along with the game was left interstate a while ago - I could get it back but the person who has it still plays it a lot where I wouldn't) or not bother, so I'll try. Hopefully I can get into it, I'm hoping the thing playing in my favour is I've played a few hours in a few times but never been able to get beyond there for whatever reason. Cheers for the post.
As long as you're okay with loading times between each battle on a 1991 game, go for it. Otherwise, do the PSP or GBA versions, if that's not possible just emulate the SNES version.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Idioteque Dance posted:

As long as you're okay with loading times between each battle on a 1991 game, go for it. Otherwise, do the PSP or GBA versions, if that's not possible just emulate the SNES version.

I emulate the SNES version but it just doesn't work for me so I'm hoping giving it a go on my current console might work. If not I think I'll just leave it, I was too into Lufia as a kid to play IV on my physical console so I might have missed the moment.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
PSP version will look nicer, but it's an old RPG and will play like one regardless. It's actually one of my least favorite games in the series, abandoning the job system that makes 1 and 3 still enjoyable to me and the plot isn't interesting enough to justify the time spent.

Edit: I should note this is a minority opinion among FF fans, most love the everliving hell out of the game and will defend it to this day.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Idioteque Dance posted:

From what I remember (many years ago), the load times weren't as bad as the FF6 port. They're noticeable, but bearable. Still, I'd definitely go with PSP or the European GBA version (since the US release has a glitchy ATB that can screw with battles sometimes) if at all possible, since they both have extra content, and the PSP version comes with the sequel, though I'd only recommend that one if you like the original's gameplay, as the story is complete poo poo.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
I'm playing through XIII-2 at the moment and I am loving it so far, but I've yet to see the supposedly terrible ending. It's just so much better than XIII in every way that it almost (only almost) redeems XIII in my eyes. Just don't take it too seriously and try to enjoy the vastly improved combat system and monster mechanics.
I kinda bought most of the DLC despite originally being annoyed that it wasn't in the game by default. I justified it by waiting for the game to drop in price and using the savings to basically pay squeenix directly.
Who doesn't love Gilgamesh? Wrong people, that's who.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Mega64 posted:

PSP is the definitive version of the non-DS releases, but the others would work as well.

Probably the biggest leg up Complete Collection has on the rest of the releases is an auto-battle feature. Load times below "hellish" and the battle engine not being a buggy piece of poo poo certainly helps as well.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Griever posted:

I'm playing through XIII-2 at the moment and I am loving it so far, but I've yet to see the supposedly terrible ending. It's just so much better than XIII in every way that it almost (only almost) redeems XIII in my eyes. Just don't take it too seriously and try to enjoy the vastly improved combat system and monster mechanics.
I kinda bought most of the DLC despite originally being annoyed that it wasn't in the game by default. I justified it by waiting for the game to drop in price and using the savings to basically pay squeenix directly.
Who doesn't love Gilgamesh? Wrong people, that's who.

The ending owns, and might have been the best part of the game :colbert:

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I am finally trying to play Final Fantasy X all the way through and had a question. Am I supposed to level all of these characters up? Or can I just pick 3 and run with that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bigperm posted:

I am finally trying to play Final Fantasy X all the way through and had a question. Am I supposed to level all of these characters up? Or can I just pick 3 and run with that?

You want to level each character (except maybe Kimhari) up. Each has their own specialty. As long as they contribute to a battle they'll gain experience and you can swap in and out easily.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Are there any plans to do a remake of FF6? That is by far my favorite game in the series and I would love to see it given the same treatment as FF4 on the DS.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

SE hasn't said much about remaking other FF games like 5 and 6. I think a few years when asked about making DS remakes they claimed the hardware wasn't good enough.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

ImpAtom posted:

You want to level each character (except maybe Kimhari) up. Each has their own specialty. As long as they contribute to a battle they'll gain experience and you can swap in and out easily.

Kimahri has a mandatory battle late in the game but if I remember correctly the enemies' strength are scaled to Kimahri's level.

1st AD posted:

Are there any plans to do a remake of FF6? That is by far my favorite game in the series and I would love to see it given the same treatment as FF4 on the DS.

Sadly, Square-Enix seems to ignore FF6 and they don't seem interested in doing a remake of any kind.

But what's the point of doing a remake when the original game is pretty much perfect? :smugbert:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'd love to see remakes of FFV and VI on the 3DS or Vita, that look as good as X and XII.

I liked that FFIV: The Complete Collection gave you the option to use either the original music, or the remastered score, but they could go a little further, and include an accurate port of the original game, like Dracula X Chronicles did, and allow you to choose the difficulty. By now, FFIV has had four different difficulty settings, but each one has been limited to their own release.

I'm not a fan of the DS remakes because of the raised difficulty and unusual art style, but Dissidia has shown us that Amano's characters can work well in 3D without needing to simplify them. Once they port FFX to the PS3 and Vita, they could possibly use the engine for remakes like this.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Oh yeah, making it look like X would be fantastic. But that's probably too much of an undertaking for a game that's almost 20 years old. Also I don't know how they'd redo the minigames that depended on a top-down view (the opera, the stupid security system in Narshe).

Maybe they could farm it out to some company who was good at working with the Unreal Engine - The Last Remnant looked really good and it had a really short development time.

Also, what is wrong with Square? FF6 is one of the best games in the entire series and has what I believe to be the legit longest gameplay (if you ignore any of grinding that you have to do in all the games).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eggie posted:

Kimahri has a mandatory battle late in the game but if I remember correctly the enemies' strength are scaled to Kimahri's level.

They are. I literally never used Kimhari my first time through and still crushed them.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Griever posted:

I'm playing through XIII-2 at the moment and I am loving it so far, but I've yet to see the supposedly terrible ending.

The ending isn't terrible, it's just sequel bait.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

ImpAtom posted:

They don't even have to contribute; even if they just defend they'll get full XP, so just call in everyone you won't use in a given battle first, have them defend, then swap in the finishers.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Thank you all for the responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

PSP version will look nicer, but it's an old RPG and will play like one regardless. It's actually one of my least favorite games in the series, abandoning the job system that makes 1 and 3 still enjoyable to me and the plot isn't interesting enough to justify the time spent.

Edit: I should note this is a minority opinion among FF fans, most love the everliving hell out of the game and will defend it to this day.

I think I might fall into this camp a bit, but I'll give it a proper chance. I'm also a big fan of 1 and 3, and 5 is my favourite of the SNES ones, I love the job system. The main reason I've been looking at it again recently was a few of my FF-loving friends rambling about how good 4 is.