Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

oddspelling posted:

Ok, so I'm eye loving an 08 335i with the premium package (44,xxx mi). The asking price is $20,500 and it Blue Book's for $26k. Is this as good a deal as it sounds like?

As long as the service history is good go for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I swapped my garish 19in lm reps out for a set of m-coupe rears. So much better, but I dont think I will be keeping them black. I also cracked my headlamp, destroyed my corner light and bent the drivers side bumper mounts a little giving my buddy a push out of a corner. I plan on putting up a build/life thread when more swap parts come in.

And I bought a one owner all bmw serviced 2003 530i for the Mrs. to daily.

What should I watch for on these things? Any other e39 owners on here care to share tips and tricks?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/3393069434.html

Going to take a look at this on Monday if it hasn't been sold, what is there to look out for?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

bird cooch posted:

What should I watch for on these things? Any other e39 owners on here care to share tips and tricks?

Thrust arm bushings, tires.. and a few other things. These cars like to chew rears... its mostly just due to the way the suspension is set up. I cant remember if this year of the car with the issues on VANOS or not.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

rscott posted:

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/3393069434.html

Going to take a look at this on Monday if it hasn't been sold, what is there to look out for?

Rust (in the trunk, along the bases of the doors, near the license plate lights, or near the jack-points), leaking sunroof, leaking weatherstripping, broken odometer, headliner is a pain to change if it needs it (gotta take out the glass), dashes are often cracked, swapping the bumpers is a pain if you don't like the diving boards (personally, I don't mind them)...other than that I think it's pretty much maintenance items, service records, and regular BMW stuff.

You saw that's an 'e' right? Nothing wrong with that if you want it - just making sure.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah I don't mind that it's an e, if I ever get tired of how slow it is I'll just throw a turbo on it :getin:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Yeah, they're super slow.

Also look at the power steering rack and pump for leakage. Two out of the three E30s I've owned have needed a steering rack immediately upon purchase. If it needs it, just buy an E36 rack. I've paid $50-100 for them, and they're quicker ratio.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Hey guys, I have a shameless newbie question, don't laugh! What's a decent place for me to go get an oil change for my E46? In the past I was pretty lucky to have a really decent small BMW shop next door and they'd take care of everything, but now it looks like I'm going to have to go the Jiffy/Firestone/Pep route.

If I give them the car, will the know the right type of oil to put in and not destroy anything too much?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DreadCthulhu posted:

If I give them the car, will the know the right type of oil to put in and not destroy anything too much?

That's a 50/50 chance and totally depends on where you bring it and who happens to be there.

Are you really sure that you can't find a decent indy shop wherever you are? That's hard to believe if you are in an area with chains.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Find a new indy at https://www.bimrs.org

Get a case of BMW 05-30 from any dealer and take to the indy for the oil change.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Try and do it yourself -- I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but you can save a ton of cash in the long run, and you don't risk the chance of someone screwing with your car (e.g., just hitting the oil reset button and calling it a day, or using the wrong oil). You can buy tools in the process and you get to keep them.

If you really don't have the time/patience, chain shops are all hit or miss and depends on where you live. Indie shops won't be that cheap either. Check Yelp for your area.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Wow, thanks for the responses! I'm glad I checked with you guys, because I didn't realize that chain shops were in the business of screwing you over for something as simple as an oil change.

In that case I'll gladly investigate the local independent shops, there do seem to be a few here in the SF area. I don't quite have the time, nor desire, to do the change myself, but I'd gladly spend a couple of extra bucks on a good job (some shops will just press the reset button for you? yuck...) rather than get the car destroyed.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
or you could just ask if you can hang out and watch them work and move on if they say no

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DreadCthulhu posted:

there do seem to be a few here in the SF area

You are in a target rich environment. An oil change is a good way to start evaluating a shop that might be getting your business when other things come up. Don't waste this opportunity on a bunch of high school drop outs that can barely pull off an oil change.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

DreadCthulhu posted:

Wow, thanks for the responses! I'm glad I checked with you guys, because I didn't realize that chain shops were in the business of screwing you over for something as simple as an oil change.

In that case I'll gladly investigate the local independent shops, there do seem to be a few here in the SF area. I don't quite have the time, nor desire, to do the change myself, but I'd gladly spend a couple of extra bucks on a good job (some shops will just press the reset button for you? yuck...) rather than get the car destroyed.

Post what city you are near (SF/Oakland/SJ, etc) and a goon will tell you where to go.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Keyser S0ze posted:

Post what city you are near (SF/Oakland/SJ, etc) and a goon will tell you where to go.

Just south of SF, Daly City/Colma area. According to yelp good shops seem to be IN the city, which isn't awful.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
So I just got my new 2011 Bmw 335i xDrive. I noticed some strange noises coming from the engine today when I took it out to get dinner. 18k miles on the car.

Basically it had a small knocking noise coming from the engine while I was driving. Turned off the engine, turned it back on, and it seems to have lessened somewhat. Is this something worth being worried about?

Also, I noticed that the engine has a low whine after I turn the engine off for about 10-15 seconds, then the whine goes away. Is that normal as well?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

skystream92 posted:

So I just got my new 2011 Bmw 335i xDrive. I noticed some strange noises coming from the engine today when I took it out to get dinner. 18k miles on the car.

Basically it had a small knocking noise coming from the engine while I was driving. Turned off the engine, turned it back on, and it seems to have lessened somewhat. Is this something worth being worried about?

Also, I noticed that the engine has a low whine after I turn the engine off for about 10-15 seconds, then the whine goes away. Is that normal as well?

The noise is normal, I don't think that I'd be concerned with it (my 335 makes what I imagine is a similar noise, took it to a dealership and they said it was normal). The whining sound is the electric water pump running to cool the turbo.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

DreadCthulhu posted:

Just south of SF, Daly City/Colma area. According to yelp good shops seem to be IN the city, which isn't awful.
Dude..you live probably less than 5 miles from me. If I didn't just have a baby I'd help you out.

Here are a couple places off the top of my head that won't rip you off:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/abs-alternative-bmw-service-san-mateo
http://www.yelp.com/biz/metric-motors-of-san-francisco-san-francisco

P.S. Do not go to Peter Pan BMW or BMW of SF, they will tear you a new one.

Bank fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 10, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

skystream92 posted:

Direct injection is pretty noisy, it's probably that.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Bank posted:

Dude..you live probably less than 5 miles from me. If I didn't just have a baby I'd help you out.

Here are a couple places off the top of my head that won't rip you off:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/abs-alternative-bmw-service-san-mateo
http://www.yelp.com/biz/metric-motors-of-san-francisco-san-francisco

P.S. Do not go to Peter Pan BMW or BMW of SF, they will tear you a new one.

Thank you, Sir!

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Is BMW 325e even worth looking at for $800? Owner claims he hit a deer. Claims car is mechanically sound. 226,xxx miles.

Obviously needs grill, lights, core support, fender. I could do the work myself.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Is BMW 325e even worth looking at for $800? Owner claims he hit a deer. Claims car is mechanically sound. 226,xxx miles.

Obviously needs grill, lights, core support, fender. I could do the work myself.

Seems overpriced for one of the least desirable e30s that needs that much work. And I live in Canada, the land of overvalued e30s.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So I went and looked at that 325es today after work and I took some photos. Interior is pretty rough but the windows/sun roof work, it fired right up and sounded fine. It has 15" ICW racing wheels on it, no idea if those are trash or worth something, tires are 195/15r60 with quite a bit of meat left above the treadbars. No rust at all from what I could see in the spots you guys mentioned.

http://imgur.com/a/ooz3C

Gonna take it for a test drive tomorrow and if nothing is glaringly wrong with it I think I'm going to offer $1200 or so and see if the guy will bite.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Wheels aren't really worth anything. The desirable things on that car are the LSD, the steering wheel and the seats. It does genuinely look like an es because it has the sport seats, Msport steering wheel, and front and rear valence. $1200 isn't too bad if its a clean chassis. I'd still offer $1000, but maybe that's just me.

**EDIT** also just noticed it's an automatic. Offer $1000 is my vote. Automatic 325e... eesh

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 13, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
What's the going price on 17" Style 5s these days?

http://newbrunswick.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-BMW-535i-W0QQAdIdZ430317790

He won't part the wheels, but "Ill take 1500 and u can drive the hole car away". I'd love the wheels to have the center refinished in a dark gold/bronze for my M3. Not sure what to do with the e34 though. Mileage on my last 535 was too terrible to use as a commuter, and it's probably a bit heavy for a rallyX car.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Buy the car, put steelies on it, flip it for $2k or so and enjoy your free wheels?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

This showed up on my youtube main page:
5 Series BMW tune up by 7 year old girl :3:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have a couple of weird problems with my E39 (2000 540i/6).

First, only when it's cold out, the airbag light stays on. I have the Peake SRS scanner but haven't read it. The light doesn't stay on when the interior is warmed. Should I be concerned?

Second, and this only happened once, over the weekend: I was making a left-hand turn, slow speed (in a neighborhood), with my signal. I think maybe while I was turning the wheel I hit the stalk just as it was returning to 'no-signalling' land. Suddenly I had no turn signals, but the hazards were on. The hazard button didn't work; in fact, the turn signal indicators on the dash weren't even lighting up. But my four-way flashers were on anyway, and I had to drive several miles like that. Turning the car off didn't do anything, in fact they still flashed when the car was off.

After about five minutes it fixed itself.

What the gently caress?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I realize this is a pretty inane question but does anyone have a trick to secure the floor mats on my '08 335i? Every time I drive it the floor mats end up bunched up around my pedals and it's driving me crazy. The spiky things that are supposed to hold it in place don't but I'm worried they're going to cut up the carpet under them.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Crustashio posted:

What's the going price on 17" Style 5s these days?

http://newbrunswick.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-BMW-535i-W0QQAdIdZ430317790

He won't part the wheels, but "Ill take 1500 and u can drive the hole car away". I'd love the wheels to have the center refinished in a dark gold/bronze for my M3. Not sure what to do with the e34 though. Mileage on my last 535 was too terrible to use as a commuter, and it's probably a bit heavy for a rallyX car.

How many MPG's are you wanting? The 525i isn't all that awful on gas.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The 525 isn't bad on gas, but the 535 is. I had one for a month and the highway mileage was less than 20mpg. At that point I'd rather have a v8 that gets similar mileage but has an extra 100hp.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Lawen posted:

I realize this is a pretty inane question but does anyone have a trick to secure the floor mats on my '08 335i? Every time I drive it the floor mats end up bunched up around my pedals and it's driving me crazy. The spiky things that are supposed to hold it in place don't but I'm worried they're going to cut up the carpet under them.

There should be a small hole in the carpet you can screw the spike into.

My 2010 came back from the dealer with the mats loose. I screwed them back in, but now the clutch constantly pulls the mat up every time I shift.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
Roofline of the new 3 coupe (4 series?) is long and sexy. Like really sexy. Side vent is short and silly.

More spy pictures here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767418

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

discstickers posted:

There should be a small hole in the carpet you can screw the spike into.

Yeah, there definitely should be but they're missing. I realized though that the spikey screw bits were just velcroed to the mats and pulled them off so they don't gently caress up the floorboard carpet any more than they already have. I did find the part number for the anchors on another forum though, guess I'll see how much the dealer charges to install them and if it's insanely expensive just order the part and DIY it.

On another note, I've been kicking around the idea of finding an e30 M3 as a project/track day car. Is $18k+ pretty normal for one that runs? I haven't seen any less than that and drat that's a lot of shekels for a car old enough to buy beer that only cost ~$50k brand new.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 13, 2012

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ynotony posted:

Roofline of the new 3 coupe (4 series?) is long and sexy. Like really sexy. Side vent is short and silly.

More spy pictures here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767418

Yeah, that side vent looks really weird. Like something off a Ford Focus or something? The body shape is nice though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lawen posted:

Yeah, there definitely should be but they're missing. I realized though that the spikey screw bits were just velcroed to the mats and pulled them off so they don't gently caress up the floorboard carpet any more than they already have. I did find the part number for the anchors on another forum though, guess I'll see how much the dealer charges to install them and if it's insanely expensive just order the part and DIY it.

On another note, I've been kicking around the idea of finding an e30 M3 as a project/track day car. Is $18k+ pretty normal for one that runs? I haven't seen any less than that and drat that's a lot of shekels for a car old enough to buy beer that only cost ~$50k brand new.

I'd get an MCoupe if you want to spend that kind of money on a track car. Think of it as a penis shaped e30 m3 on roids.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Bought the 325es now I'm not a poser for posting in this thread anymore!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
How much did you manage to pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Paid $1350 so if you wanna call me dumb you're probably right.