Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/aspley/cars-vans-utes/rare-bmw-525i-touring/1009059272

Crossposted from Craiglist Gold, but if there are any other wagon afficiandos in Brisbane check out this beautiful black '94 525i Touring with under 100 thousand Kms for only $4500

:getin:

and like that, it's gone!

I'm actually going to go look at a wagon exactly like that, but mine is even more special because I am in the USA, and mine has 57k miles on it, and it's only 5 miles away from me, and silver instead. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ROFLBOT posted:

the 20 year-old Toyota A341 in my Soarer is a vastly superior box

If that's closely related to the A340 like I suspect it is, that's because the Aisin Warner AW4/A340 is way up there with the PowerGlide and TF727 when it comes to quality, strong, reliable automatics.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ROFLBOT posted:

Our one is a factory gas (LPG) model which means huge range and cheap fuel (not that we pay for it as the company card does) but less power - a boat anchor 4 litre straight six in a 1700kg car makes this thing a slug. It does however have decent torque hence the towing ability- it will tow a double horse float (and horse) no problem.

The only way a BF Falcon wagon would weigh 1700kg is if you weighed it on the moon.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

2ndclasscitizen posted:

The only way a BF Falcon wagon would weigh 1700kg is if you weighed it on the moon.

Curb of 1684Kg actually.

quote:

One of the last, as they finally stopped production in 2010 to be replaced by the Mondeo wagon which by all accounts is a better car but has nowhere near the load or towing capacity (and its FWD...)

Anyone who wasnt a taxi driver went with a Territory for capacity and towing anyway before the wagon got killed.

quote:

Wagons in general are extremely rare. Fast wagons are even rarer. Fast wagons that cost as much as an R8 are rarer then hens teeth

Not here in Aust. Plenty of quick wagons around if you want (Mainly Holdens of course)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How lovely are the Passat and Jetta wagons? They look really nice and are getting around the 5k range. I'd like to look into one but the VW's track record sucks.

The Mazda 6 wagon looks like it might be a better option.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So yeah. I'm going to own this tomorrow morning.

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/3404046331.html

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

leica posted:

How lovely are the Passat and Jetta wagons? They look really nice and are getting around the 5k range. I'd like to look into one but the VW's track record sucks.

The Mazda 6 wagon looks like it might be a better option.

What year?

Passat:
1998-2005? Fairly lovely, but nice. See Audi A4. A manual V6 wouldn't be terrible beyond oil leaks and emissions issues. I wouldn't touch an automatic or a 1.8T that hasn't been owned by someone who has kept every receipt and has a mild case of OCD.
2006+ -- Less lovely (at least in 2.0 trim, the 3.6 had some major issues), but certainly not mazda 6 level. Less nice than a b5

Jetta:
MKIV: Hahahaha!
MKV: Honestly I haven't heard that many bad things. Some carbon issues with the 2.0T and some issues with TDI owners who used cheap oil seems about it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ROFLBOT posted:

The better half has one of these as a company car - a 2010 Ford Falcon BF wagon. One of the last, as they finally stopped production in 2010 to be replaced by the Mondeo wagon which by all accounts is a better car but has nowhere near the load or towing capacity (and its FWD...)

I particularly like how they got around to facelifting the front end, but never bothered to replace the hilarious AU shape windscreen

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
This is mine (ok, mine is blue):

A 1999 Hyundai Elantra GLS Wagon with 115 HP, a 1.6 l. engine with 250.000 km on the clock.

Starts and drives ok - except it is starting to feel quite old and tired when accelerating (sometimes the RPMs shoots up, and then down again to a normal level, and there's no pulling power).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kidney Stone posted:

This is mine (ok, mine is blue):

A 1999 Hyundai Elantra GLS Wagon with 115 HP, a 1.6 l. engine with 250.000 km on the clock.

Starts and drives ok - except it is starting to feel quite old and tired when accelerating (sometimes the RPMs shoots up, and then down again to a normal level, and there's no pulling power).

Manual trans? Could be the clutch slipping.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

What year?

Passat:
1998-2005? Fairly lovely, but nice. See Audi A4. A manual V6 wouldn't be terrible beyond oil leaks and emissions issues. I wouldn't touch an automatic or a 1.8T that hasn't been owned by someone who has kept every receipt and has a mild case of OCD.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/3305952020.html

Automatic :smith:

quote:

Jetta:
MKIV: Hahahaha!

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/3393389324.html

It looks really nice :smith:

Looks like the 6 wagon is the front runner, either that or it's back to a Caravan haha.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I miss my bora (jetta) saloon everytime I see one. They are a handsome car. With a TDI lump they are a good drive providing you don't intend on going round corners with any gusto, if you can look past the VW reliability of that era.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I've always loved the looks of the wagon, but I'm just not willing to take the risk on reliability. The Mazda 6 wagon has an impeccable reliability record, and people are comparing it to Audi and BMW wagons in terms of how it drives so I'm gonna test drive one and see how it goes....Provided I sell my Crown Vic sometime soon.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Sockington posted:

Manual trans? Could be the clutch slipping.

Yep, it's manual - good advice, I'll get the workshop to check it out...

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Kidney Stone posted:

Yep, it's manual - good advice, I'll get the workshop to check it out...

Screw that, you can test it yourself. Put it in 5th around 20-30mph (pretty much near bogging speed for 5th, 1000rpm-ish), then put the gas to the floor. If the revs and speed climb together at a glacially slow pace, the clutch is fine. If the revs spike randomly or climb fast, the clutch is toast.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 13, 2012

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

The local used Euro car joint has a couple sweet wagons.

High miles, but this would be a blast. A V70R with a 6-speed.

e: one more.. an '01 525i Touring with the 5-speed.

They've got some other pretty awesome Germans and Swedes.
http://www.starmotors.us/browse.php

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 14, 2012

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
In case you haven't heard, Audi is messing with us:
http://www.quattroworld.com/2013-audi-rs4/breaking-audi-rs-4-avant-spotted-in-the-usa/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ahaha "there is huge demand for this car!!!" no there isn't, gently caress you quattroworld guy.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ahaha "there is huge demand for this car!!!" no there isn't, gently caress you quattroworld guy.

There is, it's just from people who can't afford one (like me).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DropShadow posted:

There is, it's just from people who can't afford one (like me).

I think that's technically desire.

I'd totally buy one if they brought it over here and it was like... 40k.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Crosspost from the post your ride thread. Just got my plates finally and drove it ~60 miles today. It's a festive beast.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Finally brought it home tonight, almost two months after I put down the deposit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Went to buy sandpaper yesterday, saw they had the bath suite we wanted for 90% off. Yup, just stuffed it into the Volvo. Wagons are awesome.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Bumping the thread because more people need more station wagon awesomeness.

I used mine to pick up a tree! :downs:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There is a huge demand from like 30 people on the internet for this car!

A thus, is why we don't get any wagons in the US. They don't sell. The masses that need to buy them with rather drive a Tahoe with 9 MPG and Ed Hardy Seat covers.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

GramCracker posted:

Bumping the thread because more people need more station wagon awesomeness.

I used mine to pick up a tree! :downs:

I brought my tree home INSIDE my wagon last night

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

kmcormick9 posted:

I brought my tree home INSIDE my wagon last night

The Wagon Thread alternative to a pine air freshener.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I read on the internet that Cadillac is killing the CTS and CTS-V wagons due to loving awful sales. Which is the inherent problem with wagons. A bunch of nerds on the internet are like SELL ME A WAGON VERSION, MR. OEM! and then when the OEM actually ponies up they're like You Want What For That??? and they just go buy a used Volvo or Audi.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I read on the internet that Cadillac is killing the CTS and CTS-V wagons due to loving awful sales. Which is the inherent problem with wagons. A bunch of nerds on the internet are like SELL ME A WAGON VERSION, MR. OEM! and then when the OEM actually ponies up they're like You Want What For That??? and they just go buy a used Volvo or Audi.

If Mercedes can sell a random $100,000 wagon to rich weirdos (at a loss, I'd assume), Cadillac should do the same with a $60,000 wagon.
Someone theorized that these cars were not about volume but to get car guys to geek out about a brand and tell other people.
That has some ring of truth as I was at the autoshow with my dad (who can afford such things) and geeked out over the CTS-V wagon for like 20 minutes afterwhich i ranted about how I much better caddy is now that 10 years ago. So yeah.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nm posted:

If Mercedes can sell a random $100,000 wagon to rich weirdos (at a loss, I'd assume), Cadillac should do the same with a $60,000 wagon.
Someone theorized that these cars were not about volume but to get car guys to geek out about a brand and tell other people.
That has some ring of truth as I was at the autoshow with my dad (who can afford such things) and geeked out over the CTS-V wagon for like 20 minutes afterwhich i ranted about how I much better caddy is now that 10 years ago. So yeah.

Wasn't Lutz on record as saying that they know the wagon won't actually be profitable, especially the V, but they're doing it anyway to build buzz?

Mighty Horse posted:

There is a huge demand from like 30 people on the internet for this car!

A thus, is why we don't get any wagons in the US. They don't sell. The masses that need to buy them with rather drive a Tahoe with 9 MPG and Ed Hardy Seat covers.

And yet, the geniuses at BMW think that this is the answer:

Hmm, yes, let's kill the 5 series wagon because it might cannibalize 7 series sales, and not let you put the turbo engine in the 3 series wagon, but let's give people a whole range of options on this turd.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 5, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

Wasn't Lutz on record as saying that they know the wagon won't actually be profitable, especially the V, but they're doing it anyway to build buzz?

Bob Lutz also green lit the Pontiac Solstice coupe. GM built a whole bunch of poo poo that wasn't profitable just so Lutz could buy one for his garage before retiring.

The CTS wagon made it through was because back in 09 or whatever GM was gearing up for a big push to re-introduce Cadillac to Europe. Since then they've found out that most of Europe is actually broke and can't afford anything and now they have to spend half their US profits paying Opel/Vauxhall workers to not build cars, so they've given up on the whole idea.

VW and BMW can keep building wagons because they have a captive market in their European home countries *and* they can command the premium on the US market, unlike say Ford which does sell wagons in Europe but can't sell them for economical prices in the US.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Man I look at the E30 I have parked outside and that picture and all I can do is shake my head and wonder how that monstrosity comes from that. Ultimate driving machine my rear end, that thing looks like the hunchback of notre dame. Who would actually want to be seen in something like that? It's ridiculous.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
BMWs model dilution these days is comical. 3 series alone will have coupe, sedan, wagon, convertible, GT, and gran coupe variants. Then you also have the X3.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

VW and BMW can keep building wagons because they have a captive market in their European home countries *and* they can command the premium on the US market, unlike say Ford which does sell wagons in Europe but can't sell them for economical prices in the US.

Actually, Ford is bringing a new wagon to the US next year:

It's being marketed as a "wagon" because apparently "minivan" is literally the only word more toxic than "station wagon" in the American market.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If memory serves (from a Motor Trend video comparing it with the E63 wagon), Cadillac only needed to sell 400-odd CTS-V to break even on the the development costs, that's why they wound up doing it.

e: Ha, totally wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWtjjg40mVo#t=1m45s

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 5, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Bob Lutz also green lit the Pontiac Solstice coupe. GM built a whole bunch of poo poo that wasn't profitable just so Lutz could buy one for his garage before retiring.

To be fair, the Kappa coupe was arguably the better of the two. After all, it didn't have that convertible top that reduced the usable storage space to barely enough for a carton of eggs.

GM's failure on that car was building a vehicle that was only useful as a second/third car, and yet not making it compelling as such.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

I hope I don't have to just dream about this... :allears:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Shin-chan posted:

I hope I don't have to just dream about this... :allears:

I got bad news for you buddy.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I got bad news for you buddy.

Why do you have to crush my dreams so quickly? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I was just scanning an old family photo album and came across this gem which my mom labelled "New car! 6/89" on the back. Buick Roadmaster with the awesome reverse facing seats. It replaced a very similar Oldsmobile wagon, which itself had replaced a Volvo wagon. I guess we were pretty much an all wagon family up until about '94. Also that Triumph was a piece of poo poo that never worked properly for more than 10 miles at a time.

Edit: Well that made me check and see if I had any shots of the Volvo and this is the best I could find, from '84.

• Locked thread