Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Someone on NeoGAF got NintendoLand and the box says the only Network integration is Miiverse, so no online play for that game.

I mean honestly I'd be shocked if any Nintendo-published game had online play. Not until the next Smash Bros/Mario Kart, anyway.

That's dumb as loving hell though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No online has been confirmed for that game for months.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

No online has been confirmed for that game for months.

And not once did Nintendo make you believe it would have online. It would have been immediately promoted as a selling point.

Nintendo wants you to play it at home with friends and family.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo hasn't said any of their games have online play because they probably won't and don't.

I don't know if there will be ANY Wii U title published by Nintendo that will have online play, in its entire lifespan. I only brought up Smash Bros because the last one DID. The next game? Maybe! Who knows?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Polo-Rican posted:

I know it's the fault of the game and not the system itself, but these two snippets are really discouraging and will probably strengthen some of the base fears people have about the Wii U:

I don't think anybody expects much visually of these ports of older games like Batman and Ninja Gaiden.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

I don't know if there will be ANY Wii U title published by Nintendo that will have online play, in its entire lifespan. I only brought up Smash Bros because the last one DID. The next game? Maybe! Who knows?

If Nintendo seriously made Smash 4 without online even the most diehard of Nintendo fans would throw a fit.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Commissar Ken posted:

Not that i'm saying it's good anyway but doesn't Jim Sterling pretty much poo poo on just about everything?

Not everything, but he is the Armond White of game reviewers.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

If Nintendo seriously made Smash 4 without online even the most diehard of Nintendo fans would throw a fit.

You really underestimate how dumb the worst of them are. "Good that means they spent more time working on the game! :downs:"

Namco is working on it though. It will have online. There should be no worries about that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

I don't think anybody expects much visually of these ports of older games like Batman and Ninja Gaiden.

Batman fully takes advantage of the blimp generation processor.

On NG3, what was the score for the original version?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Abysmal.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

On Destructoid? 5/10. The game was pretty much universally panned.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Assassin's Creed III supports Off-TV Play. There should probably be a list added to the OP once the system launches, because not every game supports it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

NG3 was terrible when it first came out, not exactly surprised that putting polish on a turd still doesn't make it stop being a turd. It wasn't hardware or slow down that was the issue, it was the game design and gameplay so unless they completely made a new NG than this version would still be just as terrible as the other versions

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Assassin's Creed III supports Off-TV Play. There should probably be a list added to the OP once the system launches, because not every game supports it.

Also of note is the lack of an online pass which was called the passport on the 360/PS3 version. Very interesting.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wired article:

quote:

-New Super Mario Bros. U is like a mobile game, in a good way. At first I was almost falling asleep playing New Super Mario Bros. U, and if my 12-year-old self knew I would ever grow up and say that he would be inconsolable. But it’s Nintendo’s fault, not mine; the company has pumped out four of these samey-looking Mario adventures in the last six years. The games put up huge numbers precisely because they don’t really take risks, but it’s left me wanting more innovation.

Bored, I left the main menu of New Super Mario Bros. U and poked around the options, and found something that I truly didn’t expect: a “Challenge” mode made up of bite-sized levels that you’re supposed to try over and over, failing repeatedly until you can pull them off. It takes elements of past Mario games, like jumping on a successive line of enemies over and over to rack up free lives, and presents them as self-contained trials. It reminded me of playing the best addictive mobile games, and all I could think was, how in the hell did it take Nintendo this long to create a Mario game like this?

- While playing Mario, I walked out of the living room. I wanted to test an important real-life scenario, so I took the GamePad into the bathroom and closed the door. It worked fine. I walked into the bedroom and sat on the bed. It worked fine. Your mileage may vary, but I was able to walk into adjacent rooms while still playing games, and that’s a big deal.

- The GamePad has a battery life of about 3-5 hours, which means you’ll want to charge it as much as you can. Unfortunately (and to my extreme bafflement) Nintendo does not let you charge the GamePad by plugging it into the console via USB. So you’ll need to put its AC adapter somewhere unobtrusive. The $350 Deluxe Set (but not the $300 basic package) includes a charging cradle for GamePad, which will make setup easier. But it’s still a pain in the rear end to have to devote another separate power outlet to Wii U.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/11/wii-u-impressions/

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder when a second battery pack accessory will come out.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The Wii U doesnt charge its own controller? It's not a deal breaker or anything, but come on Nintendo!

Mario while pooping is perhaps the greatest thing of all time, so I can forgive.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The controller has its own power brick, we've known that since unboxing

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Weird, trying to redownload all the WiiWare/VC games I bought on my older Wii (which has all but four games I got for free on Club Nintendo). Generally had no issues, but for some reason Final Fantasy IV - The After Years won't let me redownload the two DLCs I bought. Wonder if I should bother waiting to see if it will work on the Wii U or just say gently caress it since the game was "okay" and probably would been better off picking up the PSP version at some point.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

greatn posted:

The controller has its own power brick, we've known that since unboxing

I never looked too close and just assumed it would be USB

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I haven't seen the unboxing videos, but in regards to the charging of the controller, does it have its own plug a-la iPhone or can it be charged via Micro USB from a wall charger?

I'm getting the platinum, and will probably have the dock near the TV, but I guess if playing for a while i'd want to have a cable to charge it on the go.

E: Judging by that Wired article, it's not gonna be by micro-usb or the likes and have its own connection. That's kinda stupid.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 13, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Puddin posted:

E: Judging by that Wired article, it's not gonna be by micro-usb or the likes and have its own connection. That's kinda stupid.

It has its own loving power brick. Charging it is probably not easy.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Gutcruncher posted:

The Wii U doesnt charge its own controller? It's not a deal breaker or anything, but come on Nintendo!

While this does seem different from what the other consoles are doing I can see the logic in what Nintendo has done.
Since the system can play certain games on the tablet screen, I would imagine that some people would want to play their games while relaxing in bed, in another room or just not near the console.
I see the controllers AC adapter as a measure to ensure that no matter where they are in the house that can play their games on tablet and charge it at the same time if needed while not being anchored to the system itself.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

-CHA posted:

While this does seem different from what the other consoles are doing I can see the logic in what Nintendo has done.
Since the system can play certain games on the tablet screen, I would imagine that some people would want to play their games while relaxing in bed, in another room or just not near the console.
I see the controllers AC adapter as a measure to ensure that no matter where they are in the house that can play their games on tablet and charge it at the same time if needed while not being anchored to the system itself.

This is the best reason. It probably charges much faster than a USB as well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Takes 2.5 hours to charge actually, not that quick.

My only problem is I thought the charger and charging stand were separate items but apparently the former connects to the latter. This is a problem because I want the charging stand over on my entertainment center but also want to be able to plug it in when I need to on the couch.
Maybe not a problem though, when the hell will I need to play longer than 3 hours at a time. I have a kid on the way for god's sake.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

greatn posted:

Takes 2.5 hours to charge actually, not that quick.

My only problem is I thought the charger and charging stand were separate items but apparently the former connects to the latter. This is a problem because I want the charging stand over on my entertainment center but also want to be able to plug it in when I need to on the couch.
Maybe not a problem though, when the hell will I need to play longer than 3 hours at a time. I have a kid on the way for god's sake.

It uses the same cable as the 3DSiXL charger(s) IIRC, get an extra one of those chargers.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

DoctorWhat posted:

It uses the same cable as the 3DSiXL charger(s) IIRC, get an extra one of those chargers.

The Giant Bomb unboxing tested that, I think, and the plug was slightly larger.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

CubsWoo posted:

The Giant Bomb unboxing tested that, I think, and the plug was slightly larger.

What, really? Butts.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't have a 3ds anyway, I'm sure the charger costs about the same

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

-CHA posted:

That actually makes a ton of sense and I see the error of my ways. That sounds pretty awesome now.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Gutcruncher posted:

It amazes me how Nintendo can drop the ball on basic poo poo like this when they're the oldest surviving hand in the industry. The more I hear about this thing, the more I feel like it was rushed to market.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gutcruncher posted:

Mario while pooping is perhaps the greatest thing of all time, so I can forgive.

To be fair, that's probably a good thing as long as it comes with it's own AC adaptor. The other day I was playing my PS3 when my Move Nunchuck died on me. So I figured I could just plug the Micro USB cable into my iPhone USB Charger brick thing and still play from the couch! Nope, for some reason the drat thing wouldn't charge. So I couldn't play my game and had to let the PS3 sit there idling with the power on to charge the stupid Move Nunchuck thing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Plugging a charging dock into a wall outlet is at least twenty times more arduous than plugging it into a USB port, I cannot believe that Nintendo overlooked this crippling design flaw.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's also possible USB isn't powerful enough to charge it.

My iPad won't charge via USB either unless it's going into the wall.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Supercar Gautier posted:

Plugging a charging dock into a wall outlet is at least twenty times more arduous than plugging it into a USB port, I cannot believe that Nintendo overlooked this crippling design flaw.

Wait seriously? No way. You just plug it in near where you're gonna play and leave it there. That's how I do my laptop.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

greatn posted:

Wait seriously? No way. You just plug it in near where you're gonna play and leave it there. That's how I do my laptop.

wooooosh.

edit: double-wooooosh.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Supercar Gautier posted:

Crippling design flaw? I wouldn't call it crippling. Convenient, sure, but not crippling.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Charging via usb might take 20 hours. Better to leave it off than have dumb asses bitching about the charge time.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

greatn posted:

Astro7x posted:

Crippling design flaw? I wouldn't call it crippling. Convenient, sure, but not crippling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

So in order to play Wii games, including Wiiware and VC, you switch over to the classic Wii mode.

What Im wondering is if classic Wii mode will be limited to 512 megs of storage, or if it can take advantage of the much larger Wii U internal storage and allow me to keep all my downloaded games right on the front menu.

Surely one of these journalists must have tried this by now.

• Locked thread