Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Dr Blah PhD posted:

I have this same issue, I am with verizon on an unlimited data plan, and cant upgrade phones without going into a data plan. But, as I went to a mall today, I stopped in a verizon store and was given some seemingly interesting information

I was told you can upgrade without switching plans (allowing you to keep unlimited data and buying a phone at the subsidized price). the trick is you have to go to a corporate store, not a booth/mall area location. Allegedly they can honor your contract when upgrading, but non corporate stores wont.
Another trick I was told, is that because I have a flip style, non data phone on my plan (my moms, who is afraid of smartphones), I can upgrade hers with my contract, keep the phone I want, switch numbers back to mine and have her have my old thunderbolt, albeit with no internet, but thats okay. I'm sure this isnt entirely correct, but it went something along those lines.

But anyways, can anyone verify this, preferably the corporate part of it, because I would hate for it to be some 6 month to one year only deal where I eventually get screwed over from not reading fine print. I don't think the verizon guy was shady, but I am very skeptical about this since going to corporate has never been brought up before.

I've never heard about the corporate store trick. How would that work? I thought Verizon's policy now is that you lose your grandfathered data plan if you buy at a subsidized price. I'd like to know more about this too.

I have heard of the second loophole you mentioned. Basically, since you have a non-data phone on your family plan, you can use her subsidy to buy whichever smartphone you want. Then you activate the new, subsidized smartphone on your phone number and reactivate the dumbphone on the former non-data plan. This works because you DO NOT TOUCH the subsidy on your grandfathered data line, which prevents Verizon from forcing you into their data tiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Another trick I was told, is that because I have a flip style, non data phone on my plan (my moms, who is afraid of smartphones), I can upgrade hers with my contract, keep the phone I want, switch numbers back to mine and have her have my old thunderbolt, albeit with no internet, but thats okay. I'm sure this isnt entirely correct, but it went something along those lines.

That's incorrect, you can not activate a Thunderbolt and not have a data plan (shared or individual). I kind of question everything you were told because of that. Also, they wouldn't "honor your contract" because your old contract is up the second you sign a new one. Something doesn't add up here.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
There are only two ways you can keep your unlimited data.

1) Buy a device outright (no contract extension, $500+)
2) Upgrade a non-unlimited line (non-smartphone or already tiered data), then place the equipment on your line.

That's it. Doesn't matter if it's corporate or indirect, mall kiosk, best buy, radio shack, walmart or a corporate store. Although if you choose to exercise option #2 I would suggest you complete the second part of it (placing the equipment back on your line) at your own leisure and not letting an indirect agent, unless they seem to actually know what they're doing, do it for you. Chances are something will get screwed up.

The only other loophole I know doesn't seem to work anymore, so Verizon seems to have closed that up.

Also you cannot activate a smartphone on a line and not choose a data plan. This is a system mandated operation and it happens automatically when you place a smartphone ESN on a line.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
if you add a new line to your plan, and that line has the new phone you want to switch. You do the equipment switch to get the new phone to your line. My question is then do you have to keep the new line with a data plan because it started with one, or can I switch it to a non-data plan linek?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Cbear posted:

if you add a new line to your plan, and that line has the new phone you want to switch. You do the equipment switch to get the new phone to your line. My question is then do you have to keep the new line with a data plan because it started with one, or can I switch it to a non-data plan linek?

As long as the new line isn't created through someone with their own ETF, like amazon or wirefly, yes you can drop it down to the cheapest plan your phone allows. (so you will need a dumbphone to do a $9.99 family plan)

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Ok I thought so. Can I do the stuff all at once or will they not like that in storek?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

SeaborneClink posted:

There are only two ways you can keep your unlimited data.

1) Buy a device outright (no contract extension, $500+)
2) Upgrade a non-unlimited line (non-smartphone or already tiered data), then place the equipment on your line.

That's it. Doesn't matter if it's corporate or indirect, mall kiosk, best buy, radio shack, walmart or a corporate store. Although if you choose to exercise option #2 I would suggest you complete the second part of it (placing the equipment back on your line) at your own leisure and not letting an indirect agent, unless they seem to actually know what they're doing, do it for you. Chances are something will get screwed up.

The only other loophole I know doesn't seem to work anymore, so Verizon seems to have closed that up.

Also you cannot activate a smartphone on a line and not choose a data plan. This is a system mandated operation and it happens automatically when you place a smartphone ESN on a line.

What happens if you do option 2, upgrading a non-unlimited non-smartphone line to a smartphone line? You have to add a data plan, which would be the new shared data plan, but how would that affect the unlimited plan on a different line? Is the unlimited line automatically converted to the shared data plan, or is it separate and you are essentially paying for 2 data plans, 1 unlimited and 1 shared data?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

koolkal posted:

What happens if you do option 2, upgrading a non-unlimited non-smartphone line to a smartphone line? You have to add a data plan, which would be the new shared data plan, but how would that affect the unlimited plan on a different line? Is the unlimited line automatically converted to the shared data plan, or is it separate and you are essentially paying for 2 data plans, 1 unlimited and 1 shared data?

You have two options when you upgrade/add a line to an existing account.

You can:
1) Choose from one of the tiered offerings 2GB/$30, 5GB/$50
2) Switch to a share plan.

Option 1 will allow you to keep unlimited data, or any other data plan on your other lines.

Option 2 will force all data plans off the individual lines, and migrate the entire account over to shared. With the caveat that you want all lines on a shared plan. You could choose to keep one line as an individual, but you would be paying significantly more to do that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

When I finally put my phone on charge this morning at 13%, it was almost 75 hours off charge. That was a bit over 1 hour screen on time and 1 hour's worth of calls.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
If I'm on a family plan and upgrade my phone to an iPhone 5 we won't have to pay extra for 4g unless we want it? This is confusing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PaganGoatPants posted:

If I'm on a family plan and upgrade my phone to an iPhone 5 we won't have to pay extra for 4g unless we want it? This is confusing.

4g does not cost anything extra.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

PaganGoatPants posted:

The iPhone 5 is going to do 4G whether you want it to or not. Data charges are essentially the same, regardless of your devices.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Are there any decent/affordable unlocked phone options better than my first-gen Galaxy S?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

there is no such thing as an unlocked Verizon phone.

If you have unlimited data and wish to preserve it (you do, even if you think you don't) the best choice right now is getting a Verizon Galaxy S III either new or used off of either craigslist or eBay.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Kim Jong Il posted:

Are there any decent/affordable unlocked phone options better than my first-gen Galaxy S?

Any HTC phone released since then is unlockable (bootloader wise). I've seen Rezounds going for less than $300 on swappa.com lately

The Verizon G-Nex is always a favorite for hackability too.

Also, define "affordable"?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

SeaborneClink posted:

You have two options when you upgrade/add a line to an existing account.

You can:
1) Choose from one of the tiered offerings 2GB/$30, 5GB/$50
2) Switch to a share plan.

Option 1 will allow you to keep unlimited data, or any other data plan on your other lines.

Option 2 will force all data plans off the individual lines, and migrate the entire account over to shared. With the caveat that you want all lines on a shared plan. You could choose to keep one line as an individual, but you would be paying significantly more to do that.

Thanks for the info. My plan was going to be to get a subsidized S3 or Razr on a different line with some data plan, downgrade that line to a dumbphone and drop the data plan, and then activate the phone on my unlimited line.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

koolkal posted:

Thanks for the info. My plan was going to be to get a subsidized S3 or Razr on a different line with some data plan, downgrade that line to a dumbphone and drop the data plan, and then activate the phone on my unlimited line.

This works fine as long as you dont buy the new phone from a reseller that has their own ETF.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Droid DNA Made official today so I can talk about.

REALLY nice display.

REALLY nice camera.

REALLY light and thin.

AWFUL Battery life.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mighty Horse posted:

Droid DNA Made official today so I can talk about.

REALLY nice display.

REALLY nice camera.

REALLY light and thin.

AWFUL Battery life.

How long is the battery life?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Its a 2200 MAH battery with a 5" LCD and Quad Core.

They say around 10 hours with normal "use"

The tester I played with was off battery an hour and a half with some heavy use and was at 50% already.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mighty Horse posted:

Its a 2200 MAH battery with a 5" LCD and Quad Core.

They say around 10 hours with normal "use"

The tester I played with was off battery an hour and a half with some heavy use and was at 50% already.

Even worse than that, it's a 2020 mAH battery, not 2200.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

4.2 is out, but not for the VZW GNex. Woooo

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

kensei posted:

4.2 is out, but not for the VZW GNex. Woooo
So we're looking at May?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Even worse than that, it's a 2020 mAH battery, not 2200.

I'd love to get my hands on whatever it is HTC's product people have been smoking, if they think a 5" follow-on to the Thunderbolt is an awesome idea.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Really when you think about it power outlets are everywhere. I mean it's 1080p so technically it's a TV, and TVs are supposed to be plugged in all the time, right?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Really when you think about it power outlets are everywhere. I mean it's 1080p so technically it's a TV, and TVs are supposed to be plugged in all the time, right?

Don't give them ideas, or else come CES we'll see phones start to require rabbit ears with aluminum foil wrapped on the ends or else they won't get reception.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Preview of what will be required on a legacy phone once VZW implements VoLTE

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Don't give them ideas, or else come CES we'll see phones start to require rabbit ears with aluminum foil wrapped on the ends or else they won't get reception.
We already have that. It's called a Galaxy Nexus :v:

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

kbar posted:

there is no such thing as an unlocked Verizon phone.

If you have unlimited data and wish to preserve it (you do, even if you think you don't) the best choice right now is getting a Verizon Galaxy S III either new or used off of either craigslist or eBay.

Can I buy a Nexus 4 from google and preserve unlimited data?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Secret Sweater posted:

Can I buy a Nexus 4 from google and preserve unlimited data?
Yeah, but it won't work on Verizon's network.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Yeah, but it won't work on Verizon's network.

Oh lame. So they're not planning on bringing the 4 onto their network at all? I'm still rocking a Droid 2 that's in desperate need of replacing. What is the option of choice currently for upgrading?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Secret Sweater posted:

Oh lame. So they're not planning on bringing the 4 onto their network at all? I'm still rocking a Droid 2 that's in desperate need of replacing. What is the option of choice currently for upgrading?

Doctor rear end in a top hat on the last page posted:

iOS:
iPhone 5 (you already know about this)

Android:
Available right now
Droid RAZR HD (MAXX) - 4.7" 720p screen, amazing battery life, relatively stock Android, still on Ice Cream Sandwich.

Galaxy S III - 4.8" 720p screen, decent battery life, Touchwiz (shitted up Android), still on Ice Cream Sandwich.

Upcoming pocket stretchers
Droid DNA - 5.0" 1080p (440ppi holy poo poo) screen, almost certainly comes with HTC's Sense overlay (good, bad, who knows?), ships with Jelly Bean.

Galaxy Note II - 5.5" 720p screen, Touchwiz, Jelly Bean, inductive stylus, doubles as a serving tray.

Windows Phone 8:
I don't think either of these are out yet
HTC 8X - 4.3" 720p screen, uhh, runs Windows Phone 8, ~Beats Audio~

Lumia 822 - 4.3" 480p screen, also runs Windows Phone 8

I have to be honest that despite the fact I made the jump from Android to iOS, I'm somewhat interested in the new WP8. :v:

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 13, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Secret Sweater posted:

the new phone is GSM and they are committed to only doing one phone this time around.

If you are on a droid 2 then you shouldn't be in contract. you could buy the 4 and get a prepaid service.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The more I read about the DNA, the more I think HTC just expected to stuff a 1080p screen in a phone, call it a done deal, and expect people to flock to it.

There's a reason why you are losing money hand over fist in the mobile game right now HTC.

Earlier, I missed the gems about it only having 16gb of storage with no SD card slot.

It's also THICKER than the Razr HD MAXX while having more surface area and a smaller battery.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

The more I read about the DNA, the more I think HTC just expected to stuff a 1080p screen in a phone, call it a done deal, and expect people to flock to it.

There's a reason why you are losing money hand over fist in the mobile game right now HTC.

Earlier, I missed the gems about it only having 16gb of storage with no SD card slot.

It's also THICKER than the Razr HD MAXX while having more surface area and a smaller battery.

Doesn't the whole of the RAZR line use (S)AMOLED([HD|+]) screens? That could be a big difference in the screen thicknes.

Though after handling the OneS, I can't see how HTC couldn't make a phone thinner than the RAZRs, as that thing is wafer-thin.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

But it's the first phone with a 1080p screen, just like the Thunderbolt was the first Verizon phone with LTE. Who cares about battery life, right?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
So the note 2 is coming out at the end of the month and I honestly can't wait to get my grubby paws all over it. I convinced my mom to snag one on att (upgrade from a Motorola ATRIX), she loves the drat thing. But since att doesn't have LTE in my city, her battery life is consistent with being stuck on HSPA+. Which is still exceptional. From the time she leaves for work until she gets home, she hasn't been less than 40%. But I know she offloads onto wifi. She has unlimited data, but att reception at her office is lackluster.

Now that's all well and good, but verizon LTE here is obnoxiously fast. And I've grown quite fond of my Maxx's battery life. The note 2 has a 3100 mAh battery. Am I to believe that the 200 difference between the note 2 and the razr Maxx will be that much different? I understand the obese screen on the note 2 will suck juice especially @the higher resolution. I know its going to be different, I'm just worried I'm going to be very disappointed. The galaxy nexus battery life made me terrified to get samsunged ever again, but gee wiz do I want this phone.

Worse case: I need to be able to text for up to 18hours without access to a wall outlet. (Work) I know that sounds crazy but my Maxx handles that without cracking 50%. A little configuration and I'm sure I could bend the note 2 to my will. I suppose I could always get another battery. Two 3100 battery's would solve this dilemma, but I've only ever found need for a second battery while traveling. Which is usually for recreation, hence a plethora of electricity for my gadgets. I've also never been a huge fan of carrying around more than I need. (Efficiency snob).

If anyone could shed some droplets of sun light on any of this, I would really appreciate it.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 13, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you are talking about the original Razr MAXX, the Note 2 should be better on battery due to the newer SoC. I say 'should' though because we don't have any Exynos/LTE combinations on Verizon to compare it to.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

bull3964 posted:

If you are talking about the original Razr MAXX, the Note 2 should be better on battery due to the newer SoC. I say 'should' though because we don't have any Exynos/LTE combinations on Verizon to compare it to.

I am, and that is my only hesitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
Would I be crazy to consider purchasing a Razr HD right now? The DNA was a bit of a let down for me with the battery life, so I can't foresee any other phones I would want. The 8X is a possibility, but I'm not sure I want to hack solutions together for Google syncing on WP8.

• Locked thread