Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
By rerooted, do you mean you reused the old hair, or just that you replaced it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

milpreve posted:

By rerooted, do you mean you reused the old hair, or just that you replaced it?

Bought new hair and totally replaced it. :)

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Monster High CAM Gargoyle Boy by A Humfleet, on Flickr

I painted a thing. For a goon.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I finished 'properly' restringing my new Pukifee last night. I think next time it'll be easier just to buy a brand new one that's already restrung. :argh:

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Ghoulia custom by A Humfleet, on Flickr

AAAAANNNNDDDDD another MH custom, this time for myself. Babby's first reroot, too! :3:

No idea what clothes I'll put her in, so she's staying in Ghoulia's PJs and glasses for now.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
I like your mods, Little Miss RKO. If I ever end up trying to do face-ups myself, I might grab myself a Monster High doll for practice. Seems like it would be a pretty cheap investment for something I could use over and over without much consequence if I gently caress up so terribly that it gets ruined. I can't really imagine a situation where that would happen, but I'm clumsy enough that I don't like to take chances. v:shobon:v

In other news, it's been almost four weeks since I ordered my doll and I'm getting rather anxious. The company I chose is fairly quick by comparison, I've noticed. 5StarDoll estimated 8-10 weeks for the doll to be completed, but I've seen people waiting like eight months for certain things. I think it would be impossible for me to wait that long, sheesh!

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

I like your mods, Little Miss RKO. If I ever end up trying to do face-ups myself, I might grab myself a Monster High doll for practice. Seems like it would be a pretty cheap investment for something I could use over and over without much consequence if I gently caress up so terribly that it gets ruined. I can't really imagine a situation where that would happen, but I'm clumsy enough that I don't like to take chances. v:shobon:v

If you do, make sure you seal the face in between! Otherwise it'll definitely stain.

Edit: By that I mean seal the face before you put any paint or pastels on it.

moonsour fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 19, 2012

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.
I like those RKO! What gloss do you use? I always get worried about gloss on vinyl because it reacts sometimes. I usually use Tamiya.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

I like those RKO! What gloss do you use? I always get worried about gloss on vinyl because it reacts sometimes. I usually use Tamiya.

Liquitex Gloss meduim and varnish. Haven't had any problems with it so far!

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Well another obsessively sleepless night later...

IMAG0558 by A Humfleet, on Flickr

EDIT: WOOHOO! I listed the Ghoulia custom on Etsy and she sold within a few hours! :woop: Doin' the first sale dance up in here!

moonsour fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 22, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Okay, I need help. I got a preowned Pukifee Pong Pong a few weeks ago that was in pretty bad shape. I've been fixing it up and so far the only thing I need is two of these for the leg/hip connections:

(The thing on the left)

Problem? I can't get them anywhere. No one sells them, no one has anything remotely like it, and Fairyland will only sell me the part if I get the order number of the original owner. :doh:

Does anyone know where I can get this? Or a substitute? Or has ordered a doll directly from Fairyland and can help me out?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Ugh, I'm sorry I can't help you. That's incredibly lovely of Fairyland to not sell you the pieces.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
Do you have one and need a second one? Are the two identical? If not, is there anyone local to you who owns the same type of doll? Is there anyone local to you who does resin-casting? See where I'm going with this?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
And I finished another custom face today! Well, I have a couple in the works, but this one is just so darn cute I don't want to sell her anymore! This is Draculaura, and I've redone her face, gave her a bob, and put her in Frankie Stein's clothing.

*hair flip* by A Humfleet, on Flickr

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

I have five BJD: Nikki (Iplehouse Benny), Marie (47 cm Obitsu--I don't think they make em anymore), R.U.B.Y. and Sapphire (Hujoo Berry) and a Hujoo Freja that still needs the whole face do thing and I'm leaning towards Violetta for her name. I can't talk about the Hujoo on Den of Angels, because OH NOES they're not resin :argh:.

I'm thinking of customizing my extra Monster High dolls, but I hate rerooting.

ETA: Here's Sapphire: I did her entire face up from scratch.

Sapphire by Nethilia, on Flickr

Nethilia fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 30, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

milpreve posted:

Do you have one and need a second one? Are the two identical? If not, is there anyone local to you who owns the same type of doll? Is there anyone local to you who does resin-casting? See where I'm going with this?

I need two. And sadly as far as I know there's no resin-casters in my doll club. At this rate I'd be willing to pay someone to order the parts for me. :sigh:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You do gorgeous faces, LittleMissRKO.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Well that about tears it, I think I'll pick up a Monster High doll or two sometime soon. This is where my life is going, I guess. v:shobon:v I'm looking at those "Starter pack" things that include two heads, a torso and a bunch of different limbs. Might be fun to start out with this and start practicing my face-ups. Time to look at a zillion different tutorials.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Well that about tears it, I think I'll pick up a Monster High doll or two sometime soon. This is where my life is going, I guess. v:shobon:v I'm looking at those "Starter pack" things that include two heads, a torso and a bunch of different limbs. Might be fun to start out with this and start practicing my face-ups. Time to look at a zillion different tutorials.

It's really almost the same as a BJD, except you can smush their faces to get into the little crevices when you're cleaning the original paint off! Just don't let the acetone touch the hard bits.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You do gorgeous faces, LittleMissRKO.

Aw, thanks. :)

I screwed up the eyeshadow on the one I last posted, and I couldn't get over my mom saying she looked stoned, so I redid it! I'll be rerooting her with hair that changes from plum to pink, as well. :)

IMAG0686 by A Humfleet, on Flickr

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

Little Miss RKO posted:

It's really almost the same as a BJD, except you can smush their faces to get into the little crevices when you're cleaning the original paint off! Just don't let the acetone touch the hard bits.

Which hard bits? The tutorials I looked at so far don't seem to mention this, but it seems important!

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Which hard bits? The tutorials I looked at so far don't seem to mention this, but it seems important!

I just meant the body, don't worry! I didn't mean to scare you. :)The body is made of a harder plastic than the face, so it reacts differently to acetone in a melty way. :)

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

Little Miss RKO posted:

I just meant the body, don't worry! I didn't mean to scare you. :)The body is made of a harder plastic than the face, so it reacts differently to acetone in a melty way. :)

Ohhh, okay. That's still pretty important to know - some of them do have body details so it's good to know I can't remove that stuff with acetone. Don't worry, I still don't even have one of the dolls. I also need that Mr. Super Clear stuff. Should it cost a little less than $20? That seems to be the average price on Amazon.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Ohhh, okay. That's still pretty important to know - some of them do have body details so it's good to know I can't remove that stuff with acetone. Don't worry, I still don't even have one of the dolls. I also need that Mr. Super Clear stuff. Should it cost a little less than $20? That seems to be the average price on Amazon.

IMO it shouldn't but that's what most everywhere charges. :< It's expensive to ship aerosol cans!

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Took the plunge and got a doll! I won a gift card at work, so I figured nothing was holding me back.

Got Abbey Bominable

Planning on giving her new hair, and a few face, before I worry about anything else. She's really shimmery!

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

uberwekkness posted:

Took the plunge and got a doll! I won a gift card at work, so I figured nothing was holding me back.

Got Abbey Bominable

Planning on giving her new hair, and a few face, before I worry about anything else. She's really shimmery!

The glitter on her face comes off with acetone, but you can replace it with a mixture of glitter and sealant. Anyway, congratulations! Abbey is a lovely doll.

Oh, by the way, what hair are you planning on giving her? I've rerooted about a dozen Monster High dolls, and I love seeing what people can come up with. They're so customizable.

sunsweet fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 13, 2012

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

A little embarrassing, but I was thinking of trying to make her into an FFIX Shiva.

So I'll probably be getting at least three different colors in there. A white, and two or three shades of blue. I might need to change her hairline a little. Do I just use a pin to do that?

Edit: I read a lot about using Mr Super Clear for faceups. Is there a good alternative?

uberwekkness fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 14, 2012

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
A sharpened yarn or embroidery needle is probably your best bet for making new holes for rooting hair. If the pin/needle is too thin the hole will close back up. :(

I think I may try building my own doll out of wood this winter! I couldn't find any tutorials, so I'm just kinda winging it. Wish me luck!

In other news, there's a new company offering super posable, super affordable dolls if there are any beginners who wanna get their feet wet with an inexpensive doll. Magical Angel has a decent selection of dolls in 1/4 and 1/3 scale that top out at $195 SHIPPED! Check out their Eric sculpt to see a good range of poses that their SDs can do. Two words about them: JOINTED FEET!

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

uberwekkness posted:

A little embarrassing, but I was thinking of trying to make her into an FFIX Shiva.

So I'll probably be getting at least three different colors in there. A white, and two or three shades of blue. I might need to change her hairline a little. Do I just use a pin to do that?

Aww, that's not embarrassing at all! If it makes you feel any better, my very first custom attempt was an Andorian girl from Star Trek. I didn't have the good sense to start with a blue-skinned doll, though.

What I do when I'm changing the part is get some small straight pins, stick them wherever I want them, and then heat them up with a hairdryer for a couple of minutes. You probably don't even have to heat them up; you could just let them sit in the doll's head overnight.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

sunsweet posted:

Aww, that's not embarrassing at all! If it makes you feel any better, my very first custom attempt was an Andorian girl from Star Trek. I didn't have the good sense to start with a blue-skinned doll, though.

What I do when I'm changing the part is get some small straight pins, stick them wherever I want them, and then heat them up with a hairdryer for a couple of minutes. You probably don't even have to heat them up; you could just let them sit in the doll's head overnight.

I don't even do that! I just poke and immediately root. :v:

Take sun's advice over mine. She's done this a ton more, and her reroots look good!

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

Little Miss RKO posted:

Take sun's advice over mine. She's done this a ton more, and her reroots look good!

You are basically my best customer, so I think you're a bit biased. Not that I specifically mind, though!

Here are my last two Monster High reroots, if anyone's interested. My hair colour choices are a bit tame, in general, but I like how they've turned out. I'll admit right now that I'm rather rubbish at cutting hair, though.

The first is a Rochelle Goyle doll. She was rooted with Foxglove Lavender and Silver Bullet saran in the front, and the back is a mixture of Phthalo and Midnight Blue saran.

The second is an Operetta doll. She was rooted with Golden Blond on the top and 24k Blond underneath.

My advice to anyone buying a Monster High doll to repaint but not to reroot is this: avoid getting a doll with curly hair, like Lagoona Blue or Operetta. Unless you plan on never touching the hair and leaving in all the thick, crusty gel that Mattel uses, curly hair just turns into a frizzled mess almost immediately. The quality of the saran used on curly haired dolls is a lot lower than that of their other dolls.

You might also avoid getting a doll with tinsel in their hair, like Abbey Bominable or Cleo de Nile. Again, if you plan on doing anything at all with their hair, the tinsel's going to fray and break and end up looking shoddy.

Lastly, the werecat dolls (Toralei, Purrsephone, and Meowlody) (what names these things have!) have stripes just painted onto their hair, and those will wash out immediately. You could simply paint them back on, of course.

I would say that the dolls with the best hair right from the factory are Ghoulia Yelps and Spectra. I've read that Mattel uses kanekalon for their hair. It's very soft and luxurious, so I believe it.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Others with great factory hair (imo) are Frankie and Draculaura simply because theirs is usually straight!

I'm finding with Cleo that you CAN pull out the tinsel, leaving behind her gorgeously soft hair, It's just a pain, and Any Cleo costs more than every other doll in the same line.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wow, those are gorgeous, Sunsweet. I also admire your photography skills.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wow, those are gorgeous, Sunsweet. I also admire your photography skills.

Thank you! I don't feel like I'm super good with most creative outlets, but doll photography is pretty fun for me. I have a flickr, if you want to see more of my reroots and the like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/j_leoriane/

Monster High dolls are really lovely to work with. They're inexpensive enough that you can play around with customising them in any way you want, and also popular enough that people will buy your customised dolls that turn out less than stellar. :v:

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

sunsweet posted:

The first is a Rochelle Goyle doll. She was rooted with Foxglove Lavender and Silver Bullet saran in the front, and the back is a mixture of Phthalo and Midnight Blue saran.

I am in love with her hair! I just got myself a Rochelle Goyle and i'm so tempted to give her a haircut now. I like the shorter but still long length.

Now I have two questions

- How do I get rid of the gel in her fringe? It's crunchy and weird.

- Her hair is looped near her left ear - both ends go into her head. Is there anything I can do about that? Both ends are really visible, and I'm sure if I try I'll make it worse. For now I've covered it up with the longer of her earrings.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

Avalinka posted:

- How do I get rid of the gel in her fringe? It's crunchy and weird.

- Her hair is looped near her left ear - both ends go into her head. Is there anything I can do about that? Both ends are really visible, and I'm sure if I try I'll make it worse. For now I've covered it up with the longer of her earrings.

I just use my own shampoo (and conditioner) to wash doll hair. It's unlikely that you'll damage the face-up this way. You could always just use plain water, and I've read that some people just brush it out.

How much of her hair is looped? I'm not too sure what to tell you, in honesty; I'm sincerely not that good at styling hair. Little Miss RKO might have an idea of how to remedy it or better hide it, though.

skellycakes
Dec 2, 2005

mediocre!
My best friend (and room mate) got me into this hobby a few years ago and I fall in and out of it constantly. I've got a few dolls now (7 complete, 2 floating heads, and 1 on the way) that I've collected because I have poor impulse control. They mostly just sit by my computer or on my shelf and look pretty. My favorite is my Zaoll Luv. Aforementioned room mate made her a pretty dress and did her face up for her, because he's amazing and way more talented than me (and he does all my dolls' face ups now). Excuse my crappy photography.

My other favorite is my Dollshe SA Saint. He was my third doll, and though his size sometimes intimidates me (I really prefer MSD to SD+ sizes) I just love his look so much. Excuse the silly filters, I took this shot of him years ago when I got him. :v:

Also I'm sad to hear that a lot of people were unhappy with Soom's tinies. My only Soom is an Ai, and I got her second hand. She's still rocking her default face up and body blushing, and I didn't notice any issues with her when I got her. She's still pretty pristine, even now, and she's taken a couple spills off of my book case.

Here she is, being cute with my Doll Chateau Bella (who looks dead):

CRAlvery
Aug 10, 2012

Ain't No Stoppin' Me Now.
Are the re-rooters using Katsilk? Is Restore-doll still The Place to get it?

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

CRAlvery posted:

Are the re-rooters using Katsilk? Is Restore-doll still The Place to get it?

Katsilk is just saran, which I personally always use. I've never purchased hair from restoredoll. I get my hair from dollyhair, and so far, I haven't had any problems with ordering from there.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
:siren: The Junky Spot is having a weekend sale! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

This may have been missed before, but is there a good alternative to Mr. Super Clear, for faceups?

• Locked thread