Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Goat Bouillabaise posted:

It is, though there's some limitation given that the legs being in their 'coiled' state do not lend themselves toward much variety. If you DO stand it up like that, though, you'll need to trim off the dangling 'cables' that hang away from the neck so that the head will fit properly. I'mma magnetize my arms as well (they're stuck on with blu-tac currently) so that it can double as a Maulerfiend, although I have a pretty serious reconfiguration/conversion of the kit for my dedicated MF. To wit:

MoonbeastMauler will be awesome when I'm done with it. I think you've already seen this in the 40k thread though, I don't recall.

I have seen that one, it looks awesome! I'd love to be able to magnetize mine so the head can be replaced with the tentacles, as well as sit where they're supposed to be, so I can make like 3 or 4 different varieties of 'fiend.

I've never made one of the GW kits like this though (this is actually the first one I've bought new) so I just need to build it and be confident enough to hack and drill (and green stuff when necessary).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

krushgroove posted:

I have seen that one, it looks awesome! I'd love to be able to magnetize mine so the head can be replaced with the tentacles, as well as sit where they're supposed to be, so I can make like 3 or 4 different varieties of 'fiend.

I've never made one of the GW kits like this though (this is actually the first one I've bought new) so I just need to build it and be confident enough to hack and drill (and green stuff when necessary).

Beat it into shape. Without mercy. It will yield.

Seriously also those lasher tendrils are loving useful as poo poo, son. They'll be awesome for making Power Flails.

EDIT: My next project after finishing and painting MoonMauler will be converting the Khemrian kit I picked up into a Tzeentch/Thousand Sons Defiler. What do you think about that?

Goat Bouillabaise fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 13, 2012

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Beat it into shape. Without mercy. It will yield.

Seriously also those lasher tendrils are loving useful as poo poo, son. They'll be awesome for making Power Flails.

EDIT: My next project after finishing and painting MoonMauler will be converting the Khemrian kit I picked up into a Tzeentch/Thousand Sons Defiler. What do you think about that?

Sounds pretty rad. How do you plan to '40k' it? Just slap guns on the arms, or something more intricate?

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Slimnoid posted:

Sounds pretty rad. How do you plan to '40k' it? Just slap guns on the arms, or something more intricate?

Not sure yet. I was thinking eldritch weapons to count-as the primary armament. Maybe going out to the New Age store and getting a few crystals to serve as 'guns', that sort of thing. 'That's not a Battle Cannon, it's a Blazing Lance of Tzeentch.' You know, that sort of thing.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I Think I need help, I have way to much sitting around, and no time to work on any of it :(

On the bench, Infinity: PanO, and Nomad Starters, Terran Starter for Firestorm Armada, a Judge Cadre from Judge Dredd, and Malifaux Som'er Teeth, and Ophelia Starters. On the shelves. way to much to list and none of it is even open :(

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
"Knowledge is power, guard it well!" - Blood Ravens
"My back hurts from painting red" - Richyp

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

LumberingTroll posted:

I Think I need help, I have way to much sitting around, and no time to work on any of it :(

On the bench, Infinity: PanO, and Nomad Starters, Terran Starter for Firestorm Armada, a Judge Cadre from Judge Dredd, and Malifaux Som'er Teeth, and Ophelia Starters. On the shelves. way to much to list and none of it is even open :(

That room is loving impressive

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

LumberingTroll posted:

Oh that is nothing; find a copy of Achtung Schweinehund!: A Boy's Own Story of Imaginary Combat and see just how few little army mans you own. Hell I probably have more than you and I don't even have as much talent in painting, nor a dedicated work space.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

richyp posted:

"Knowledge is power, guard it well!" - Blood Ravens
"My back hurts from painting red" - Richyp

"Those Blood Ravens are sweet as hell" - Me

I actually like that the toga and the helmet are the same colour. Sometimes its about tying a scheme together, not necessarily differentiating the materials.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

LumberingTroll posted:

I see that pile of Hirst castlemolds up there. :hfive:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Not sure yet. I was thinking eldritch weapons to count-as the primary armament. Maybe going out to the New Age store and getting a few crystals to serve as 'guns', that sort of thing. 'That's not a Battle Cannon, it's a Blazing Lance of Tzeentch.' You know, that sort of thing.

I'm imagining the old Eldar Fire Prism cannons, back when they were metal.

Though I guess the newer kit would be easier to get the bitz for.

Either way, might be a good thing to base them off of.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Question about the primer that comes in pots- Is this meant for touchups on spray primer jobs or can you prime a whole mini with it? I don't have a good place to go spraypainting.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

signalnoise posted:

Question about the primer that comes in pots- Is this meant for touchups on spray primer jobs or can you prime a whole mini with it? I don't have a good place to go spraypainting.

You can use it for touch ups or you can prime an entire mini with it but it obviously takes a lot longer than a spray can or airbrush. A lot of people also use something called gesso as a primer when they need to prime indoors with a brush.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

I'm imagining the old Eldar Fire Prism cannons, back when they were metal.
That is when, exactly? IIRC Falcons had the first fully-plastic upgrades o.O

VVV: Huh, seems I remembered wrong then. You could kill someone with that thing.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 14, 2012

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Pierzak posted:

That is when, exactly? IIRC Falcons had the first fully-plastic upgrades o.O

The falcon was plastic, but for a long time the cannon itself was a giant hunk of metal.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Manifest posted:

The falcon was plastic, but for a long time the cannon itself was a giant hunk of metal.

Yeah, exactly. You could probably put someone's eye out with it if you aimed it right, though, if it's murder you got on your mind.

There's only been one 40k flyer made purely out of metal, and it cost $650.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Slimnoid posted:

Yeah, exactly. You could probably put someone's eye out with it if you aimed it right, though, if it's murder you got on your mind.

Hnng my wallet just had a stroke. Holy crap that is expensive, even for Games Workshop. (Not counting ForgeWorld titans and stuff)
What are the dimensions of that thing?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Torabi posted:

Hnng my wallet just had a stroke. Holy crap that is expensive, even for Games Workshop. (Not counting ForgeWorld titans and stuff)

And that was back when everything cost like 1/10th of what it does now!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Torabi posted:

Pretty big

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 14, 2012

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
It always makes me laugh when niche luxury products are priced as such, but they still have the audacity to put "Only" right before the price.

1kg chunk of metal, ONLY SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

I think this one from Forgeworld makes slightly more sense scale wise.

That isn't the old metal one though.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

ghetto wormhole posted:

And that was back when everything cost like 1/10th of what it does now!

And now imagine it accounting for inflation! :v:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The metal thunderhawks are smaller than the FW ones as I recall, but not by much. I have an old WD at home from before that thing was released wherein two GW UK employees took one to an American Games Day and they referenced having to stop and make repairs several times because the thunderhawk kept falling apart under its own weight.

Rahotep75
May 21, 2012

I'm just a wild and crazy kind of god.
Where did you get this? My Google is weak, and I have been unable to find it.

Thanks

dexefiend posted:

This evenings's progress! Now I just need to spend a few hours on Hamelin himself!

I also painted 2 Gormans, and the pilot to a Dakkajet.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rahotep75 posted:

Where did you get this? My Google is weak, and I have been unable to find it.

Thanks

That's avatar Hamlin from Malifaux. And it's looking great so far!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that one. And if we're counting skimmers there was the horrible Land Speeder. (I probably should put a trigger warning in here) :v:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

How long is normal before you make an irresponsible purchase for the sake of this hobby

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Oh man I forgot how adorable Epic is.

Fearless posted:

The metal thunderhawks are smaller than the FW ones as I recall, but not by much. I have an old WD at home from before that thing was released wherein two GW UK employees took one to an American Games Day and they referenced having to stop and make repairs several times because the thunderhawk kept falling apart under its own weight.

Yeah I think that was before pinning was a common practice. I'd still like to one day put that thing together as a challenge.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

signalnoise posted:

How long is normal before you make an irresponsible purchase for the sake of this hobby

I made it about a week.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Hi all,

So I'm trying to assembled my new, modest Warmachine army, and it's going ok but I figure I must not be doing something right because to glue my guys together I tend tol hold the pieces tightly against one another for at least a half hour if not more if I want them to glue in place properly.

I'm using some Citadel miniatures Super glue, and once it's dry the bond is great but I can't imagine it's standard practice to have to hold pieces together for that long to assemble them, not to mention how complicated it becomes for larger more complex models.

This may seem like a really simple question compared to the stuff that gets discussed in this thread usually but I'm a newb so :shrug:

Is there any advice you goons can give as to how to get the pieces to hold in place enough that I don't have to hold press them together manually for hours on end?

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

Give me your workspace.

Please? :shobon:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Myrdhale posted:

glue problems

Put less glue on the joint.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I didn't get to work on Avatar Hamelin tonight.

:orks: I WAS PAINTING ORKS! :orks:

Like this guy:

All I need to do is finish the base and varnish! (And a few more details.)

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 14, 2012

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Those checkers look super crisp, are you using a template + airbrush for them? Overall looking good!

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Someone bought my screamers off ebay. I feel so chuffed when I paint something that someone else wants :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

When you have a box of like 12 of the same dude in 2 poses, how do you go about making them look different? I'd like every single one of my miniatures to have their own personality but I'm having difficulty putting personality on this dwarf:

Not to mention it being pretty loving sloppy despite my best efforts. Taking pictures is actually becoming a great way for me to double check my work for stray paint.

I'm going to touch this guy up of course but what are some ways to make 12 different models feel like 12 different characters? Or should they be faceless cannon fodder?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
How about:
tatoos (hand, face, arm),
sigils on their armor,
battle standard,
'house', national or lord's markings on their armor or shield,
battle damage,
mud,
gore splashed across their face or chest,
chipped weapons,
rusted weapons/armor,
paint on a 5 o'clock shadow (Green Stuffing a beard is another way but more time-intensive),
give some blonde hair and other salt-and-pepper hair
mustaches! handlebar, the Hitler/Chapman/Jordan, broom, etc.
paint a bandage on an arm or leg (or, again, Green Stuff one together)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Slimnoid posted:

I remember when this was released. In retrospect is is a bit worrying how much my mind was blown, and that I calculated if my summer job would cover me buying one.

It wouldn't.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
This conversion remindes me of this LOTR mini in a 40k setting:

Very fitting.

I meant to post this when I first saw this conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

This conversion remindes me of this LOTR mini in a 40k setting:

Very fitting.

I meant to post this when I first saw this conversion.

That is AWESOME. :D I was originally aiming for Lovecraft's moon-beasts from his Dream Cycle, which look a lot like:

• Locked thread