Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'm drinking a Jersey beer, Climax brewing's 15th anniversary which is a barleywine. The nose smells like bourbon and vanilla but it's not barrel aged. I drink bourbon straight and know what it smells like so I'm not sure how the heck they managed that. In their description they say vanilla aromas, so I'm guessing maybe vanilla extract combined with the booze coming through giving a bourbon aroma? But the aroma is really complex with toffee, caramel, vanilla, bourbon and cherries/raisins, but the taste is just raisins. They messed up really bad in combination with the lack of carbonation and thin body for the style and lack of depth in the flavor. This is just a weird beer that misses so many marks, but I mainly bought it for the cool as gently caress 500ml swing-top it came with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Sirotan posted:

I dunno, do you think I should have a theme? The one tasting I went to with a theme was super dumb so I'm inclined to not have one....

Not so much a theme as hey, everyone bring at least one beer of X type. Stout, sour, Belgian, etc. It's your party, I'm just gonna show up with booze :coal:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Had a farmhouse beer from newish Denver brewery Strange Brewing tonight and it was really good. They did a nice job keeping everything in balance even in a relatively big beer. They're still at "owner has to drive the kegs to bars himself" stage so they don't really distribute outside of Denver/Boulder but if you're in the area and see them on tap, give it a shot.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any of you guys have suggestions on a nice beer shop in San Francisco? I frequent Ales Unlimited, Healthy Spirits and if I *have* to The Jug Shop. Any other ones I should look out for?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

obi_ant posted:

Any of you guys have suggestions on a nice beer shop in San Francisco? I frequent Ales Unlimited, Healthy Spirits and if I *have* to The Jug Shop. Any other ones I should look out for?

City Beer Store

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
my straight-edge coworker went to Europe as the merchandise guy for his friends' band and offered to bring me back some beer. he ended up stopping in Amsterdam, showing a clerk a list, and coming back with Mamouche, Fou'Foune, HORAL's Megablend, and de Cam's gueuze and kriek. so loving pumped- i might even drink the Fou'Foune out of a frosted mug!

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I had a very tasty Breckenridge Vanilla Porter yesterday. Had a pretty strong vanilla aroma and I got some roasted malt, coffee, and toffee flavors from it. Definitely more on the sweet side but I really liked it. I'll have to look for a six pack the next time I'm out.

broom
Aug 29, 2005
Does anyone know what the availability of Surly Abrasive is, I see they are releasing it November 15th but am wondering how long it generally lasts (stores and their brewery). Some friends and I are planning a trip to Minneapolis December 1, but if it is not going to be available by then I might need to make a special trip.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

broom posted:

Does anyone know what the availability of Surly Abrasive is, I see they are releasing it November 15th but am wondering how long it generally lasts (stores and their brewery). Some friends and I are planning a trip to Minneapolis December 1, but if it is not going to be available by then I might need to make a special trip.

Abrasive is pretty readily available. I was up in February and still saw lots of it around (~2-3 months after release). You should be fine.

Also: Best IIPA on the planet. Buy lots.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

danbanana posted:

Abrasive is pretty readily available. I was up in February and still saw lots of it around (~2-3 months after release). You should be fine.

Agreed with all of this, also its fairly available on tap.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

i might even drink the Fou'Foune out of a frosted mug!

Come on man, I thought you had better taste than that. Proper etiquette demands you use one of these babies:

broom
Aug 29, 2005

danbanana posted:

Yes I completely agree, had it for the first time at the Great Taste of the Midwest in August and have been fiending for more ever sense.

broom fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 12, 2012

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

funkybottoms posted:

so loving pumped- i might even drink the Fou'Foune out of a frosted mug!

Please do. Make sure to post it on BA so I can see the ensuing beer nerd rage.

Maybe I started a thing :newlol:

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I'm introducing a friend into the wonderful world of stouts tonight.
Training wheels was Young's, which he loved.
Next is a Left Hand Milk Nitro, he's liking it. Should I hover there or step up to the chocolate oak Yeti or FBS?

Don't want to overdo it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'm guessing he liked the chocolate of the Youngs and maybe didn't like the espresso flavors in the milk stout or was it the nitro? If it was the former then another coffee forward stout wouldn't be a great idea.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Sublimer posted:

Please do. Make sure to post it on BA so I can see the ensuing beer nerd rage.

Maybe I started a thing :newlol:

kinda want to use the beat-to-poo poo anodized aluminum cups the girlfriend insists on keeping (i can't even drink water out of those loving things), but the troll might be too obvious. i doubt i'll actually post anything, though, as that would require starting a BA thread.

Captain Shortbus posted:

Next is a Left Hand Milk Nitro, he's liking it. Should I hover there or step up to the chocolate oak Yeti or FBS?

Don't want to overdo it.

overthinking it, maybe- if you're willing to finish/dump out whatever he doesn't like, then fire away, man. also, give him some Founders Porter.

VVV if he likes a lot of chocolate and coffee in his water, give him the Lips of Faith

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 13, 2012

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

funkybottoms posted:

overthinking it, maybe- if you're willing to finish/dump out whatever he doesn't like, then fire away, man. also, give him some Founders Porter.

Wish I had some. I'm working with FBS, Milk Stout Nitro, Lips of Faith Coffee Chocolate, Nommo Dubbel, Monk's Cafe, and then some Lovechild and Dissident that I won't be wasting on a new drinker. He seems to be settling in on the Milk Stout.
I also have some Harvest Ale that I didn't like. Maybe I'll try to pawn that off on him.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Left Hand's Fade to Black Volume 4, the black ipa, is the best of the style I've had, though really I don't have much to compare it to, it still kicks rear end. It's exactly how I imagined the style would be when I first heard it, a wonderful blend of cocoa, roasted malts, and earthy/woody/piney hops. I am glad I bought a 6 pack.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Captain Shortbus posted:

Don't want to overdo it.

Nitro Milk Stout would be perfect, don't push him off the deep end.

Avery Tweak was rightfully deserving of the name. Was shaking at some point Saturday, but I almost never have caffeine so it works extremely effectively on me. Definitely the second best Avery beer I've had behind Avery 13.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I couldn't resist, since I wanted some Lovechild, so I have him a small glass. His response: "I didn't know beer could be like this". I think I have a convert.
Downside is now I have to share the whole bottle.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Midorka posted:

Left Hand's Fade to Black Volume 4, the black ipa, is the best of the style I've had, though really I don't have much to compare it to, it still kicks rear end. It's exactly how I imagined the style would be when I first heard it, a wonderful blend of cocoa, roasted malts, and earthy/woody/piney hops. I am glad I bought a 6 pack.

Wookey Jack, seek it out. (Havent had FTB Vol 4 though)

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Ok, tried some of these...

SnowDog posted:

Hit up the store this afternoon, hoping to see what was new (Celebration? No such luck). Quite happy with my haul:

Jack's Abby Smoke & Dagger was tasty! Couldn't find any fault with it, and will enjoy it again. I think it suffered a bit from being a couple hours after I finished...

Sierra Nevada Estate Ale kind of blew me away. I don't know how much of it was just in my head, but I really enjoyed drinking this. I couldn't drink it every day, or even every week, but it was an experience.

Southern Tier Old Man Winter ... I had one last night, and it disappointed me. Now, I probably drank a dozen of these last winter, one or two per seating, at a local restaurant who was offering it as a seasonal. Always with food. Last night, just on its own, there was some weird flavor, aftertaste or something. I wish my palate was sophisticated enough for me to be more specific. Something just didn't taste "right." Anyway, will try it again later this week, maybe with some food.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Munkaboo posted:

Wookey Jack, seek it out. (Havent had FTB Vol 4 though)

Wookey's definitely my number 1, Sublimely Self-Righteous is pretty great, too. Hard to think of many others I've enjoyed, I'll have to snag a sixpack of the Left Hand one at some point.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I was definitely not expecting Celebration to be an IPA. I was happy as a pig in poo poo, but my guests seemed like they wanted one of those overly-sweet spice bombs that usually gets put out as Christmas beer. Oh well, more for me.

Narwhal is the jam of the winter, IMO. I'm grabbing more to stuff in my beer closet.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
A friend got a bottle of Five Squared last night through a trade (somehow really really cheap). Five squared went for 100 euros a bottle in auction, and he traded an Apple Brandy Barrel Aged Church on a Hill Barleywine from CCB.

Five Squared is 25%, and you can see sugar crystals in it, its ice distilled. It tastes like a liqueur, strong with cherries and apple, and has finish not entirely dissimilar from Jagermeister. Overall, its pretty good, not worth the 100 euros, but worth the trade value.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

The reason why I've avoided Wookey Jack is because it was already 3 months old by the time it hit stores in NJ, I'm going to wait for a fresher batch.

I'm assuming that since it's a black IPA that the hops are one of the defining characterstics of the beer and 3 months is enough to not get the full experience. I've been burnt enough on old IPAs so I can wait. Also, it's about 4 months old now, it was bottled late July.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Midorka fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 13, 2012

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Midorka posted:

The reason why I've avoided Wookey Jack is because it was already 3 months old by the time it hit stores in NJ, I'm going to wait for a fresher batch.

:colbert:

Really man? 3 months isn't THAT bad. Maybe a little mellowing lets the roasted malts come out further. What I'm trying to say is, buy Wookey Jack.

Saying that, I've had it on tap and :stare:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Docjowles posted:

Wookey's definitely my number 1, Sublimely Self-Righteous is pretty great, too. Hard to think of many others I've enjoyed, I'll have to snag a sixpack of the Left Hand one at some point.

Co-sign on Wookey Jack being #1. Deschutes Hop in the Dark CDA's second, then SSR.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Pizza Port Carlsbad is doing a Strong Beer Fest on December 7th-8th. Tickets are $30 at the door and include six tickets, additional tickets $1 apiece; VIP tickets are $40 with exclusive beers, early admission (starts at 1 instead of 4) and a couple of extra tickets. I'll probably make the drive over on the 7th and do the regular session - exclusive/rare beers sound great but $10 extra for a VIP ticket and needing to start my drive early in the morning makes that a no-go. There's no taplist out yet but Pizza Port brings in good stuff for their festivals. It should be well worth dropping by.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Popped a Barrel Aged Old Rasputin XIV last night. Not nearly as heavy as Parabola, but as a consequence a lot more drinkable. I had Parabola on Friday on draft and honestly, as much as I like Parabola, I can't drink more than one half-pint of Parabola without getting Parabola overload. I also had Abyss on Friday and I wasn't particularly impressed at all. Was good, not great.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Did any of you get to try Hop Heathen by Hoppin' Frog when it was relatively fresh? That's a pretty great Black IPA, and one of the only ones in my area readily available outside of Stone SSR (Which is actually a bit of a pain for me to get, the only shop that I know of that carries it is 40 minutes away).

I really hope that someday Firestone Walker will distribute to OH, you folks talk about them an awful lot.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Kudosx posted:

Did any of you get to try Hop Heathen by Hoppin' Frog when it was relatively fresh? That's a pretty great Black IPA, and one of the only ones in my area readily available outside of Stone SSR (Which is actually a bit of a pain for me to get, the only shop that I know of that carries it is 40 minutes away).

I really hope that someday Firestone Walker will distribute to OH, you folks talk about them an awful lot.

I really wish FW would distribute to WI as well. I know IL gets them, or at least Chicago. Would love to try Parabola, never heard a bad word about it and it's the time of the year where I just want to drink a big barrel aged stout.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

air- posted:

Co-sign on Wookey Jack being #1. Deschutes Hop in the Dark CDA's second, then SSR.

That's like picking a favorite child for me. Sometimes I like more than others but they are all pretty awesome.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I Dont Like You posted:

I really wish FW would distribute to WI as well. I know IL gets them, or at least Chicago. Would love to try Parabola, never heard a bad word about it and it's the time of the year where I just want to drink a big barrel aged stout.

You live in Wisconsin and want FW? Prepare to have every thread denizen in the western US begging you for trades :v:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kudosx posted:

I'm just gonna buy a bunch of Barrel Aged Blackout this year and trade for stuff like FW, BCS, and others. I'd suggest you do the same.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Mahoning posted:

I'm just gonna buy a bunch of Barrel Aged Blackout this year and trade for stuff like FW, BCS, and others. I'd suggest you do the same.

I'll trade for a BA Blackout when you get one, please let me know when you do. I don't have PM here so update the thread and we'll discuss.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Midorka posted:

I'll trade for a BA Blackout when you get one, please let me know when you do. I don't have PM here so update the thread and we'll discuss.

Yeah I'll let everyone know as I've already drawn some interest from others too. Last year it wasn't released until January so that's when it will probably be again. Stay tuned.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Mahoning posted:

I definitely plan on doing this. I feel like it's the only good one-off release in our area that is good trade bait, everything else is year round.

Did you go last year? I'm wondering if people bring bottles along and do bottle shares like Dark Lord Day...

P.S. It sounds like we want to trade for the exact same stuff, haha.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
So I thought this was pretty interesting. Lagunitas’ owner calls out MillerCoors, A-B InBev on Twitter.

I wouldn't expect anything less from a corporation in terms of arrogance and targeting demographics but I hope more breweries speak out against the disrespect towards better brewers and when the time comes for a craft brewery to have the option to get bought out they deny it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TenaciousTomato posted:

So I thought this was pretty interesting. Lagunitas’ owner calls out MillerCoors, A-B InBev on Twitter.

I wouldn't expect anything less from a corporation in terms of arrogance and targeting demographics but I hope more breweries speak out against the disrespect towards better brewers and when the time comes for a craft brewery to have the option to get bought out they deny it.

I'd love to see somewhere with up-to-date org charts showing the webs of ownership and sub-brands for the big breweries. I remember having trouble convincing a friend of mine that Blue Moon is owned by Coors. They'd just point to the label and say "see? It says made by Blue Moon Beer Co.!"