Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Where did you get the watch from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

bowmore posted:

Where did you get the watch from?

Upload this photo to this watch, opt out of having the numerals on the face, and boom - Goldeneye. Taken from a Reddit link that was in the old retro thread.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

tvb posted:

Upload this photo to this watch, opt out of having the numerals on the face, and boom - Goldeneye. Taken from a Reddit link that was in the old retro thread.

God damnit every time I visit this thread I spend money! :D

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

the wizards beard posted:

In Europe we had these

I had a few of these chained into each other. I always wondered what "Spiel" meant.

That's funny, I had a bunch of those in the US when I was a kid, but they only said Ant/Spiel. I think my dad got them from a friend from Germany.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
ah, my first issue is in! Thanks for the recommendation, fellow goons!

*sips sweet brew with cat on lap*
*enjoys reading about the finer arts*
*dons robe and slippers*

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
What price guide do you guys use to price out games? I'm buying from someone, and they haven't given me prices, just what they have, and I want to give them a fair offer. Specifically, I'm buy some N64 stuff, cartridge only.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

DaMangoSentinel posted:

What price guide do you guys use to price out games? I'm buying from someone, and they haven't given me prices, just what they have, and I want to give them a fair offer. Specifically, I'm buy some N64 stuff, cartridge only.

There aren't really any price guides except ebay completed listings. Generally I try to aim for $5 max for cart only unless I know it's a rarer title that tends to go for a little more and I want it.

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
Well, in that case, what would you offer for these titles?

Mario Kart 64
F-Zero X
Quake 2
Tony Hawk 2
Jet Force Gemini
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer

I know Mario Kart isn't rare, but it can command a somewhat high price due to it being a Mario game, and those seemingly being the world's most valuable thing to a non-collector. I'm thinking around 25-30 bucks, and he has some controllers too that he's willing to get rid of.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I got an excellent haul of games today for what I consider a steal at $40. :stare:

For Genesis:
Castlevania Bloodlines
Earthworm Jim
ESWAT
NBA Jam TE
Road Rash II

For SNES:
Final Fantasy III
StarFox
Stunt Race FX

All of them were games I wanted and all of them were games I did not already own. I don't think the guy realized that FF3 goes for pretty much what I paid for everything. My first jackpot!

In other news my favorite used game store is having a buy 2 get 1 free Black Friday sale. Hoo baby give me strength to not completely clear the shelves.

Also, getting super psyched for secret santa! Already combing through bins to find where the good, cheap poo poo is for my mystery pal.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 14, 2012

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I'm pretty happy. My Goodwill has not, for a long time, had anything good or worthwhile. However, a few weeks back I got a few loose Intellivision games that have helped fund my Sega Genesis collecting a bit further, and today I found something not necessarily retro, but still at a decent price: a fair-condition Pearl Blue Gameboy Advance SP AGS-101 (no charger, scuffing on the body, but excellent screen and fully working) along with Pokemon Ruby (dead battery, no problem) for $19.99 + tax.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Castlevania Bloodlines usually goes for half of that $40 total, so yeah it was a good price.

I've started parting out my collection. I've stacked all of the games I'm selling in my kitchen, and kept my very small physical collection together in my living room. I'm keeping the ones that I couldn't ever sell.

It hurts. BUT I'm already in the talks to sell 9 games to a fellow goon, so maybe that'll help get my computer back up and running before some of my college stuff becomes uber late.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DaMangoSentinel posted:

Well, in that case, what would you offer for these titles?

Mario Kart 64
F-Zero X
Quake 2
Tony Hawk 2
Jet Force Gemini
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer

I know Mario Kart isn't rare, but it can command a somewhat high price due to it being a Mario game, and those seemingly being the world's most valuable thing to a non-collector. I'm thinking around 25-30 bucks, and he has some controllers too that he's willing to get rid of.

Cart only?

Between MK64 and F-Zero X you typically have $30 loose right there. But it's a bundle, he probably doesn't play the stuff, and you're a friend so starting low at $30 is fair. It would still be a steal at $40 with the controllers (assuming the stick isn't wobbly).

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

sandpiper posted:

Also there's a guide to soldering this together with an audio cable so you can also get a sound signal, which I followed:

I'm going to quote this from page 11 and also add to this because I want to at least put some video evidence up vouching for the recording quality I'm getting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9776HU3VcXk

After soldering on the audio cables using the guide I'm getting great sound out of it. Fantastic, really.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sandpiper posted:

I'm going to quote this from page 11 and also add to this because I want to at least put some video evidence up vouching for the recording quality I'm getting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9776HU3VcXk

After soldering on the audio cables using the guide I'm getting great sound out of it. Fantastic, really.

That is gorgeous picture quality :swoon: (I love Vanillaware games).

Now you gotta get Panzer Dragoon Saga to see how well that comes out. :colbert:

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is gorgeous picture quality :swoon: (I love Vanillaware games).

Now you gotta get Panzer Dragoon Saga to see how well that comes out. :colbert:

Sorry, I'm not that high tier on the collector scale. All I have is PD II Zwei and the original game that comes unlockable on Orta (I have an original Xbox too).

If I trip over a 5 dollar all discs in box with manual Saga at a garage sale or something I'll let you know.

What is it, like 200 USD minimum for a copy of Saga? My Saturn's unmodded which might change.

(also lol I wonder what other consoles I could hook up to this SCART-wise. It'd be kind of a waste to only use this for my Saturn, I put a lot of effort into scrounging all this various hardware into a cheap solution for high quality Saturn capture)

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 14, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

So I dug up my old SNES but the controller doesn't work. I took it apart to look inside and this thing flew out of it and landed on the floor. Any idea what it is? I can't see where it should have gone.

e: Poop, it goes in the pivot for the shoulder buttons, doesn't it? That means there's one missing now. :(

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 14, 2012

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Safari Disco Lion posted:

So I dug up my old SNES but the controller doesn't work. I took it apart to look inside and this thing flew out of it and landed on the floor. Any idea what it is? I can't see where it should have gone.

e: Poop, it goes in the pivot for the shoulder buttons, doesn't it? That means there's one missing now. :(

Assuming that's not Bigfoot in your photo there, it looks like it's probably a pin for the shoulder buttons, yeah.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

sandpiper posted:

Sorry, I'm not that high tier on the collector scale. All I have is PD II Zwei and the original game that comes unlockable on Orta (I have an original Xbox too).

If I trip over a 5 dollar all discs in box with manual Saga at a garage sale or something I'll let you know.

What is it, like 200 USD minimum for a copy of Saga? My Saturn's unmodded which might change.

(also lol I wonder what other consoles I could hook up to this SCART-wise. It'd be kind of a waste to only use this for my Saturn, I put a lot of effort into scrounging all this various hardware into a cheap solution for high quality Saturn capture)

Since you're playing Princess Crown, you know you can score JP Saga for super cheap, right? As in, there is a copy on ebay with the bid sitting at $2.24. Note that the JP version is called Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG.

Heck, even if you don't read Japanese, I'd say playing a JP copy with the US script nearby is a better solution than spending hundreds of dollars.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

And yeah, that's the shoulder pivot. Unless you've tossed it or can't find it, they aren't glued in or anything think so you can just slot it back in.

edit: beaten

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Charles Get-Out posted:

Since you're playing Princess Crown, you know you can score JP Saga for super cheap, right? As in, there is a copy on ebay with the bid sitting at $2.24. Note that the JP version is called Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG.

Heck, even if you don't read Japanese, I'd say playing a JP copy with the US script nearby is a better solution than spending hundreds of dollars.

Well, I've always kept it at the back of my mind to just goddamn get the JP version. I may even just go ahead right now and pick it up.

I just can't resist one of the rarest Saturn games (and it's in english to boot) as a collector, that's all. I'm going to have to get it someday through trickery and using my eyeballs (I did manage to score the Wii Metroid Prime trilogy basically brand new in metal case for 40USD at the end of last year by sniping on ebay)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

ah, my first issue is in! Thanks for the recommendation, fellow goons!

*sips sweet brew with cat on lap*
*enjoys reading about the finer arts*
*dons robe and slippers*

The cat looks like it has a rather nasty vertical bar problem

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Yeah, sorry, that was my terrible webcam. I found the pin though! In my shirt pocket. And now the controller works well. And then I bought R-Type and Star Fox off Ebay. Oops.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

sandpiper posted:

Well, I've always kept it at the back of my mind to just goddamn get the JP version. I may even just go ahead right now and pick it up.

I just can't resist one of the rarest Saturn games (and it's in english to boot) as a collector, that's all. I'm going to have to get it someday through trickery and using my eyeballs (I did manage to score the Wii Metroid Prime trilogy basically brand new in metal case for 40USD at the end of last year by sniping on ebay)

The collector's urge! I get it. I hate it. It makes me hold onto games I'll never ever play again or spend way more than I need to to get *that* version of a game.

Code Jockey posted:

The cat looks like it has a rather nasty vertical bar problem

When Hamburgler starts buying and disassembling cats I guess we know who to blame. :catstare:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
This might be a good time to mention that anyone that has JP Saturn games they don't want or don't know why they have, they should hit me up, but I'm not collecting rares or anything (for the most part).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Charles Get-Out posted:

When Hamburgler starts buying and disassembling cats I guess we know who to blame. :catstare:

"A man was found in the tiger pen of the local Zoo today. Authorities have released the statement that he was found saying 'I can fix the bar problem, I just need to compare this housecat to that tiger for colour correction'. He is being transferred to a nearby hospital for psychiatric help".

sandpiper posted:

I believe someone higher up the page mentioned the PS2 could do SCART. I think the N64 can as well? Or was that someone's modding project?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I believe someone higher up the page mentioned the PS2 could do SCART. I think the N64 can as well? Or was that someone's modding project?

The N64 can do RGB, but you need to track down an early revision and mod it. doujindance (the PC Engine eBay guy) occasionally sells RGB N64s, which is the route I went.

The PS2 can do RGB, too, but if I'm remembering right it puts out a better picture over component (higher resolution, I think).

As far as other stuff to hook up, it can be kind of a pain. Here's what I've got running over RGB right now along with a rating from one pile of flaming money (not too expensive) to five (why did I do this):

Famicom (or an NES would work, but it needs to be modded in either case) :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:
SNES Jr. (modded) :retrogames: :retrogames:
SFC :retrogames: :retrogames:
Genesis/Sega CD/32X :retrogames:
PC Engine Duo R (modded) :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:
Neo Geo :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:
N64 (modded) :retrogames:

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 14, 2012

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I played a little of Earthbound on my SNES today. First thing I noticed when I fired up the console was a stripe down the middle of the screen. HAMBURGLARRRRRRRRRR!!!!

It's nice to play it again, though, such a charming little game. :3:

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Quidnose posted:

I played a little of Earthbound on my SNES today. First thing I noticed when I fired up the console was a stripe down the middle of the screen. HAMBURGLARRRRRRRRRR!!!!

It's nice to play it again, though, such a charming little game. :3:

I am really upset with myself. Sometime around 2002ish I sold the game, box, and included strategy guide (it had scratch and sniff stickers!). I regret it to this day.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Fluffdaddy posted:

I am really upset with myself. Sometime around 2002ish I sold the game, box, and included strategy guide (it had scratch and sniff stickers!). I regret it to this day.

I think mine only ever was the Cart. Pretty sure I picked it up at a FuncoLand when I was in 7th or 8th grade for like 20 bucks.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Someone needs to reboot Back to the Future, only instead of Biff coming back and giving his old self the almanac, he comes back to 1994 and buys a crate of sealed copies of Earthbound, becoming fantastically wealthy

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Can anybody tell me where I can buy those protective covers to stick onto my SNES cartridges? I have two games without them and since there's always one game in the console, one other game is always exposed to the elements with no protection! :ohdear:

For that matter, is there a solution for protecting the bottom of my Genesis cartridges?

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

When the Hollywood Video near my house was starting to phase out their SNES collection in 1997 or 98, I started to go in every day and harass the people that worked there to just sell me the box for their rental copy of Earthbound, since they had two display boxes for their two rental cartridges. They used to give out the strategy guide when you rented it, figuring it was an over sized manual, and I of course just kept that after my tenth time renting it. So all I needed was their box for it. I wasn't a collector yet, I didn't want it or the guide to have a CIB copy I could hawk years later for a huge profit, I just thought it was cool as poo poo. The box is loving HUGE, it's colorful, the back is packed with screenshots and bad 90's slang, and mostly nostalgia. After about a month of me coming in every day "Please just sell it to me, I have like $5 in change here. Nobody will ever know, this pile of nickels could be yours", the guy said his manager told them to just give it to me.

The box has been sitting on display in three bedrooms and four living rooms in the last seven times I've moved. I've read that guide to the point that the cover is all creased and some pages are likely to fall out. I long since pulled out the scratch and sniff cards, posted them on my wall, sent the one in and got the Mach Pizza air freshener, and used that up. The cards and air freshener have been missing for the better part of a decade. I can still smell the pizza, and it smells like no regrets. I'll keep this drat hodgepodge set until I die, I loving love this game.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AwwJeah posted:

For that matter, is there a solution for protecting the bottom of my Genesis cartridges?

For the Genesis, you're better off going with these:
http://www.thevideostoreshopper.com/universal-game-case/universal-game-case-with-full-sleeve-insert/

They can be used for SNES games too.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

AwwJeah posted:

Can anybody tell me where I can buy those protective covers to stick onto my SNES cartridges? I have two games without them and since there's always one game in the console, one other game is always exposed to the elements with no protection! :ohdear:

Neither Japan nor Europe ever had those and we all managed to survive.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I'm not a stickler about it or anything but it would be nice to have them since only a small fraction of my collection are without. I can deal though, I just wanted one or two for peace of mind.

Anyway, can everyone in this thread please take the time to commemorate the precious moment when you're greeted with this after purchasing a used game?

That's what I call a true classic.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

AwwJeah posted:

I'm not a stickler about it or anything but it would be nice to have them since only a small fraction of my collection are without. I can deal though, I just wanted one or two for peace of mind.

Anyway, can everyone in this thread please take the time to commemorate the precious moment when you're greeted with this after purchasing a used game?

That's what I call a true classic.

My copy of FF3 had a pretty good file when I got it.

The file was literally right after you got the airship again. I actually played a bit through it and recorded it just to see what the other names were, I should finish that.

My Wave Race 64 mans had good names too.

Also my copy of Startropics had an almost-complete file named STUDMAN (along with a barely played file named BARTMAN) and selecting continue when I first got my copy of Actraiser resulted in the angel greeting me as Sir NUTS. I get good files.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 14, 2012

User Friendly
Jul 19, 2003

It's not much compared to what most of you guys are showing, but here is my collection (excuse crappy cellphone pics):

(2 Game Gears, one with non-working speakers, and the other just brings up lines when turned on)

(This won't turn on. Can't figure what's wrong with it)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

User Friendly posted:

It's not much compared to what most of you guys are showing

this is a joke right

Also, address and general times you are not home??

User Friendly
Jul 19, 2003

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

this is a joke right

Also, address and general times you are not home??

With what you would pay for the airfare to get to Malta (where I live), you could buy all that stuff :p

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

User Friendly posted:

With what you would pay for the airfare to get to Malta (where I live), you could buy all that stuff :p

Yeah the blue Dreamcast swirl should have been a red flag for me. :saddowns:

I love those Neo Geo Pocket game cases; those are so awesome. Gets me even more infuriated Nintendo never had plastic cases until the Gamecube (which barely counts because it's pretty much just a DVD case).

I do have to say I love the Japanese Gamecube cases. Also saw PSP Vita cases the other day; they're awesome. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Is that an actual Neo-Geo cabinet, or is it one that's been converted into a MAME cab, but left to look like a Neo-Geo cab? Either way, I'm insanely jealous since I've always wanted to own an arcade cabinet (especially a MAME cab).

• Locked thread