Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Dammit, I only just remembered the hexagon grid city you wanted to play around with Cychlydae. :v:

I like our grids, especially the Baroque one. I believe I linked Karlsruhe in the thread before. It has a beautiful circular layout centered on its castle for its classical city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess every city next to the Fuckov deserves a bridge by this point. Place some bridges by Deep Bend and Winton.

I've sorta hit a point where a lot of the potential improvements that I see would benefit towns at the expense of other places that I've sorta committed to helping. I feel like a real industrialist. :shepface:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess every city next to the Fuckov deserves a bridge by this point. Place some bridges by Deep Bend and Winton.

I've sorta hit a point where a lot of the potential improvements that I see would benefit towns at the expense of other places that I've sorta committed to helping. I feel like a real industrialist. :shepface:

The Connecticut River only had ~6 road bridges across it at this point in time, so seeing as the Big Fukov River already has as many, I'm going to say no more trans-Fukov bridges just yet. Ferries are still there, though, so it's not like there's no way to cross.

Those things do cost money!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Cichlidae posted:

The Connecticut River only had ~6 road bridges across it at this point in time, so seeing as the Big Fukov River already has as many, I'm going to say no more trans-Fukov bridges just yet. Ferries are still there, though, so it's not like there's no way to cross.

Those things do cost money!

So basically your response is... Fukov? :v:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm still amazed that river has a ferry to this day.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Speaking of ferries, I think it'd be great if they ever built a bridge or bridge-tunnel across the mouth of Delaware Bay, between Cape May and Lewes. The ferry they have there is great and all, but it's pretty much all about being a tourist operation; there's very little use of it for real transportation and I think it'd probably survive doing that even with a fixed link.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

smackfu posted:

I'm still amazed that river has a ferry to this day.

Two ferries!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Hill_-_Glastonbury_Ferry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_-_Hadlyme_Ferry

Install Gentoo posted:

Speaking of ferries, I think it'd be great if they ever built a bridge or bridge-tunnel across the mouth of Delaware Bay, between Cape May and Lewes. The ferry they have there is great and all, but it's pretty much all about being a tourist operation; there's very little use of it for real transportation and I think it'd probably survive doing that even with a fixed link.

Wouldn't that take away most of Delaware's speeding ticket revenues, though?

Building a bridge there would be a MAJOR feat of engineering. It's an even bigger crossing than most of the proposed Long Island Sound bridges. Sure, in Europe, Japan, or China, it'd be feasible, but I don't think American engineering is up to the task.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cichlidae posted:

Wouldn't that take away most of Delaware's speeding ticket revenues, though?

Building a bridge there would be a MAJOR feat of engineering. It's an even bigger crossing than most of the proposed Long Island Sound bridges. Sure, in Europe, Japan, or China, it'd be feasible, but I don't think American engineering is up to the task.

On the contrary, you'd have a lot more people going through Delaware with it in all likelihood. Especially trucks.

It's only 17 to 19 miles (depending on which specific starting points on each shore you use). The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is 16 miles over (and under) water and that got built in the 60s! Just a bridge would be pretty difficult, but a bridge-tunnel is probably what would be used. Ships like having nice mile wide channels with no above-water clearance issues.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Install Gentoo posted:

On the contrary, you'd have a lot more people going through Delaware with it in all likelihood. Especially trucks.

It's only 17 to 19 miles (depending on which specific starting points on each shore you use). The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is 16 miles over (and under) water and that got built in the 60s! Just a bridge would be pretty difficult, but a bridge-tunnel is probably what would be used. Ships like having nice mile wide channels with no above-water clearance issues.

But that would require spending money on infrastructure - IN A RECESSION! What are you, some kind of commie?

-----

Does anyone have any suggestions for 1900, or shall we progress to 1910?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm just waiting to grow New-Dublin. Gimmie those n-dubs

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

I'm just waiting to grow New-Dublin. Gimmie those n-dubs

We can definitely do that this turn if I get a couple more votes! Anyone else in?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cichlidae posted:

But that would require spending money on infrastructure - IN A RECESSION! What are you, some kind of commie?

But it would look cool! And that's what counts. And while we're closing that leg of a seaward side bypass of the major mid-atlantic cities, going to need a bridge-tunnel from Sandy Hook to the Rockaway Peninsula and a crossing from Montauk to Watch Hill in Rhode Island.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cichlidae posted:

We can definitely do that this turn if I get a couple more votes! Anyone else in?

It seems to me that our transit infrastructure is in good shape overall, but without knowing what the volumes are along the roads, I don't know whether we should be adding extra roads, bypasses, etc.

Basically, I'm sure that there are some great expansions you can think of, but only because you know the "rules"of the game and we don't.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
^^^^^I dont think congestion matters until 1920 or so. Also I'm pretty sure we start getting electric trains in 1910.

As long as New Sanctum gets a streetcar suburb in '10 im happy.

Also we should do Middleport-Meridian

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 15, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Yeah, I'm not planning some grand scheme ahead of time (as far as you know). Downtown areas are congested, for sure, but it's much cheaper to widen existing roads than build new ones. It won't be until cars are mainstream that the need for bypasses will really present - 1920s-30s.

We could do Middleport-Meridian instead, since that seemed to be a favorite back in the late 1800s.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

Middleport Meridian? :ohdear:

e,fb - should read thread properly rather than skim before posting...

Anyway, I'd like to have a look at it but of course if I'm a lone voice then go for something else. Multiple inputs and discussion is what makes developement fun for me.

Munin fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 15, 2012

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Cichlidae posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for 1900, or shall we progress to 1910?

Would it be wise to rebuild the southside trackage in Opiantic, to give that part of the city rail access again? I don't mind if it operates at a loss, since we're not keeping track of the imaginary dollars, et cetera, but if it would quickly go bust and bankrupt whichever railroad it's attached to, then it's best to know ahead of time.

Also I want to build another road from Norham, this time leading to West Sanctum. :)

Middleport-Meridian is a city that we haven't seen that much of yet, right? It would be interesting to give it a closer look.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Hedera Helix posted:

Would it be wise to rebuild the southside trackage in Opiantic, to give that part of the city rail access again? I don't mind if it operates at a loss, since we're not keeping track of the imaginary dollars, et cetera, but if it would quickly go bust and bankrupt whichever railroad it's attached to, then it's best to know ahead of time.

Also I want to build another road from Norham, this time leading to West Sanctum. :)

Middleport-Meridian is a city that we haven't seen that much of yet, right? It would be interesting to give it a closer look.

Most of that old rail ROW in Opiantic was abandoned and has since been developed. It's the inexorable march of progress!

Your other request, though...

I'll post Middleport/Meridian tomorrow. I've been super busy at home and at work, and I don't have much time for photoshoppery.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How about some roads connecting Nogahyde to Manbury and Dersonia? Would that be feasible?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

SlothfulCobra posted:

How about some roads connecting Nogahyde to Manbury and Dersonia? Would that be feasible?

Nogahyde already has a road to Dersonia, and has a fairly direct route to Manbury through Waterbridge. In 20 years, though, that will be a hot topic indeed! And then, you can say, "I told you so."

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
MIDDLEPORT + MERIDIAN, now with bonus OLIVER!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByQzqtNM0WuFbU1rTE4yeV9fRWc

Wow, look at that! This cluster of city has one huge problem: railroads slash across the landscape like scars, cutting off entire chunks of the city. Crossings are crowded and dangerous. Nowhere is the Iron Horse's negative impact stronger than in Middleport and Meridian.

On top of that, the northern road crossing over the Fukov is very narrow - only wide enough for two carts to pass side-by-side, or one tram. If the tram comes, everyone else has to get off the bridge ASAP.

Finally, Middleport's central railroad station has no good tram access. Fix it!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm surprised that Oliver has a railroad through fare at this point. I would think that with all the through traffic there would have been a bypass for the line built so that "other" real traffic can go through.

How much leeway so we have in redesigning these cities, outside of "don't step on the black buildings"?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The level crossing right by the central station might have to stay (real life example: Exeter St. Davids has the Red Cow level crossing by it, and is still a quite busy station), although something would have to be done about the tram crossing there.
Assuming the trains are running to a timetable, it should be possible to guard the crossing.

At area A, there is a conflict. Either the train track would have to change level (problematic due to the yard) or the road+tram would have to change level (problematic due to the canal and tram). I think the most realistic would be to raise the road. The little southward street into the rail yard area might need to go under the bridge or something, depending on things.

At area B, I would suggest lowering the track into a trench. If it isn't an oversight on the drawing, it also seems like there are some missing connections on the rails, north/south movements seem odd, unless both sides of the track is run in both directions.
It might be a smaller operation to lower the track a bit, and raise the road crossing it.

At area C, I think the best would be to completely rip out the rails, and convert the bridge to road use. Instead build a new track northward, as shown. That should give better capacity on the line, partly because it can be double tracked more of the way and partly because it avoids some quite tight curves by Meridian central station.
Of course this means that there isn't a direct rail connection between Middleport and Meridian, but they do have a tram connection, and now another road bridge too.
Would there be opposition to making the current small bridge (that only fits one tram at a time) and the converted rail bridge into one-way roads?

Finally, I re-routed the tram north of Middleport central station a bit and put a road along the north of the track.

The other end of the new stretch of rail:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

My first question would be, what condition is the canal in? Is it as bad as the one in Fairport was, or have they been keeping it relatively clean? Are there any calls for draining it, or do the citizens wish to keep it preserved as an attractive feature?

My second question would be if there would be any issues with us simply turning all of the crossings into road bridges, like we've done elsewhere.

My third question would be whether Middleport or Meridian has been experiencing higher population growth in this decade, so to know where the infill should go.

My fourth question would not be a question, so much as a remark that Oliver has a lot of important buildings.

edit: My fifth question would be, how do people access that park inside the wye? :psyduck:

edit again: My sixth question would be whether we can build additional bridges across the Fukov, or if we still have a limit of six for the moment.

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 17, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

I'm surprised that Oliver has a railroad through fare at this point. I would think that with all the through traffic there would have been a bypass for the line built so that "other" real traffic can go through.

How much leeway so we have in redesigning these cities, outside of "don't step on the black buildings"?

Don't neglect how much influence Oliver has! As you can see, they possess the finest railroad station in Nutmeg.

You can do whatever you want, though cheaper designs will be prioritized, and the less of the gray area you have to touch, the better.

nielsm posted:

Would there be opposition to making the current small bridge (that only fits one tram at a time) and the converted rail bridge into one-way roads?

No significant opposition. So long as we can keep traffic flowing, the complaints will be minimal.

Hedera Helix posted:

My first question would be, what condition is the canal in? Is it as bad as the one in Fairport was, or have they been keeping it relatively clean? Are there any calls for draining it, or do the citizens wish to keep it preserved as an attractive feature?

My second question would be if there would be any issues with us simply turning all of the crossings into road bridges, like we've done elsewhere.

My third question would be whether Middleport or Meridian has been experiencing higher population growth in this decade, so to know where the infill should go.

My fourth question would not be a question, so much as a remark that Oliver has a lot of important buildings.

edit: My fifth question would be, how do people access that park inside the wye? :psyduck:

edit again: My sixth question would be whether we can build additional bridges across the Fukov, or if we still have a limit of six for the moment.

1) The canal isn't terrible; it's got decent flow through it, thanks to the river, though its southern limits are rather brown-tinged and septic. Unpleasant, but not a public health hazard.

2) Meridian-Middleport rail traffic is minimal, especially now that the line east from Meridian is abandoned.

3) Both have been somewhat slow-growing - say 1% p.a. for Middleport and 1.5% p.a. for Meridian. The biggest growth area is the north end of Meridian.

4) Oliver is filled with rich people. They will absolutely not tolerate their estates being bought up.

5) They walk across the tracks.

6) No new bridges this decade.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

nielsm's idea of a simultaneous lowering of tracks and raising of the roads sounds good. However, I'd keep the railroad bridge intact, and simply reroute trams to it so they don't have to use the too-small road bridge. That, along with a couple more crossings over the tracks- including one that gives proper access to the park inside of the wye- should do.

But it's not a real overhaul of a city unless we add new districts to it, right?

Early designs included a rail bypass connecting Middleport's industrial stub back to the mainline, forming a big D in the hopes that this would spur manufacturing growth along the Fukov. When interests in Oliver got wind of this, however, they made sure that that would not be happening.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

sincx posted:

Are you making the rail bridge into a dual use rail/tram bridge? Is that possible?

I don't see why not; trams are light rail, and even if the rail gauge is different it's possible to have both light rail and heavy rail tracks in-line as long as the gauge is far enough apart. There are clever ways to do this. Overall, I think that routing the tram over the rail bridge is a smart move; it increases ped traffic over the only ped bridge we're allowed to have, while keeping rail traffic intact. As long as the rail traffic isn't too heavy, and it sounds like it isn't, this really has no downsides. It's too bad that we can't put in another bridge.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
How many aboveground or underground trains can we make then. Sinking or elevating the trains would be cheaper than keeping them street running if anything.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

sincx posted:

Are you making the rail bridge into a dual use rail/tram bridge? Is that possible?

I would think so, given that we did the very same thing in Hartshire, way back when.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

In addition to the road underpasses and overpasses (all with sub 11 ft clearances), I propose adding a road deck to both the rail ROW and one side of the bridge like the old Harahan bridge in Memphis. However I propose making the rail/road lane reversible depending on traffic and rerouting some of the tram traffic over the bridge at certain times a day as well.

Also I added a few roads and a new passenger rail sub to take enable northbound passenger rail traffic via Oliver to still go through Middleport.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

sincx posted:

Yes, we can definitely do that. Of course, throughput won't be as high, but it's better than nothing.

Ryand-Smith posted:

How many aboveground or underground trains can we make then. Sinking or elevating the trains would be cheaper than keeping them street running if anything.

Many as you like. It just costs money is all - the more grade-separation you build, the less money we'll have for building roads, trams, etc.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Time to pull out the demolition machinery.

Prioritize bridges on the East-West railway and the one near the rail yard.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

Stole Jaguars's image.

1) Added a road on the east bank of the river (in dark red) to complete the levee.
Not sure whether it should be a grade separated crossing, though, since to have the levee both the road and tracks would already be elevated. Same with the crossing on the other side. Maybe the roads on top of levees should be discontinuous across rail for now.

2) Lets add a roundabout!

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

mamosodiumku posted:

2) Lets add a roundabout!

R... r... roundabout?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
uhhh... I mean connect all the roads into a circular road. Like that thing they built in New Cork recently.

Unrelated:

Is this graph saying that traffic is horrible from 7am to 11am for that stretch of raod? Came from this pdf: http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/34000/34000/34065/10.1.1.112.4428_1_.pdf

mamosodiumku fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 19, 2012

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What's happening in this thread these days? I can't read 3 years in a sitting. I want to bitch about how Nashville stitched together 3 interstates... all of them are these crossing merges that stall completely in heavy traffic because people will never leave a little space in front of them for zipper-type action. We did just get our first real roundabout though - I'm stoked about that.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I, again, like Jaguars! proposal. That said as it builds up we should definitely think about tram provisioning for the new quarters and space for it should be reserved as it gets built out.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

mamosodiumku posted:

uhhh... I mean connect all the roads into a circular road. Like that thing they built in New Cork recently.

Unrelated:

Is this graph saying that traffic is horrible from 7am to 11am for that stretch of raod? Came from this pdf: http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/34000/34000/34065/10.1.1.112.4428_1_.pdf

Probably not the best way to present that data, but it presents the speed by time and milepoint. Looking at the graph, you can infer a good deal about the geometry. For example, between MP 31 and 32, there is extra capacity - probably in the form of additional lanes. If the data were smoothed out a bit, you'd be able to see the shockwaves of slow traffic spreading back from the bottlenecks.

slap me silly posted:

What's happening in this thread these days? I can't read 3 years in a sitting. I want to bitch about how Nashville stitched together 3 interstates... all of them are these crossing merges that stall completely in heavy traffic because people will never leave a little space in front of them for zipper-type action. We did just get our first real roundabout though - I'm stoked about that.

No problem, just go ahead and post some pics or map links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

Probably not the best way to present that data, but it presents the speed by time and milepoint. Looking at the graph, you can infer a good deal about the geometry. For example, between MP 31 and 32, there is extra capacity - probably in the form of additional lanes. If the data were smoothed out a bit, you'd be able to see the shockwaves of slow traffic spreading back from the bottlenecks.

Whoever picked that color scheme for the index needs to be shot out of a cannon into a paint store. Why does 70 look to be the same shade as 20? Why is it so much trouble to have a spectrum where the colors are close to their neighbor? :psyduck: