Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I just accidentally bought 3 stylus epics on ebay so I might have an extra one to sell soon (assuming they all work) if anyone else is looking for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I just accidentally bought 3 stylus epics on ebay so I might have an extra one to sell soon (assuming they all work) if anyone else is looking for one.

Mount them on a bar and do Nishika-style photos.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I just lost mine. I would be interested. Do you have the black or silver versions?

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
Got an Olympus XA for $4 from Urban Renewals. It has 'broken' written in marker on the bottom but my first roll says it's perfectly fine. It's a great camera but the viewfinder is drat tiny.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Miike posted:

I just lost mine. I would be interested. Do you have the black or silver versions?

They haven't arrived yet but there is at least one of each... I'll let you know when they arrive if there is an extra one in working order.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Recede by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

more infinity stylus epic

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

From my Stylus Epic. Bad news though, I think the lens must have been knocked out of alignment when I dropped it and when it started extending with the hatch closed - I scanned a BW roll after the previous happened and the scans are much softer compared to my older colour rols. Time for a new one I'd say!

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just went hog wild and ordered a Stylus Epic, €50 on eBay, can't wait to try it.

QOP, any chance we'll see the results of our double exposure thingie anytime soon? :D

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

maxmars posted:

QOP, any chance we'll see the results of our double exposure thingie anytime soon? :D

Hopefully soon! I started shooting it last week, I think I messed up the first few, I was reading the meter wrong but I should be OK from now on, it's really fun not knowing what's on the roll already :D

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Hopefully soon! I started shooting it last week, I think I messed up the first few, I was reading the meter wrong but I should be OK from now on, it's really fun not knowing what's on the roll already :D

Good! Don't worry about messing up exposure, in the previous experiment I deliberately over and under exposed most frames and they ended up well. +1/-1 is just.. an emphasis.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

maxmars posted:

Good! Don't worry about messing up exposure, in the previous experiment I deliberately over and under exposed most frames and they ended up well. +1/-1 is just.. an emphasis.

Im going to run a couple of rolls to send your way in my Pentax. I just need to develop this first roll to make sure the camera is actually functioning.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Miso Beno posted:

Im going to run a couple of rolls to send your way in my Pentax. I just need to develop this first roll to make sure the camera is actually functioning.

Great, I will do the same with a Nikon I'll be testing soon. :D

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Somebody send me some rolls too!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
more infinity stylus epic (aka i.s.e.)

Nothing by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Break by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

A Home by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Leaving by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Somebody send me some rolls too!

Sorry you live where?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

maxmars posted:

Sorry you live where?

You actually PMed me a while back about this - I'm in Chicago, I think I already PMed you my address.

Anyone else interested in sending me a shot and rewound roll, I would be happy to shoot it again and then develop/scan and post the results here.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Man_of_Teflon posted:

You actually PMed me a while back about this - I'm in Chicago, I think I already PMed you my address.

Anyone else interested in sending me a shot and rewound roll, I would be happy to shoot it again and then develop/scan and post the results here.

Ah yes, I forgot about that but your nick did sound familiar. Sorry! This roll is for you then if you still want it. :)

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

maxmars posted:

Ah yes, I forgot about that but your nick did sound familiar. Sorry! This roll is for you then if you still want it. :)

For sure, I'll be looking forward to it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Have I mentioned that the Yashica T5 is awesome? Because it's awesome.

Pilot Mountain by iantuten, on Flickr

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

QPZIL posted:

Have I mentioned that the Yashica T5 is awesome? Because it's awesome.

Pilot Mountain by iantuten, on Flickr

That is such a fine example of b/w. I've added you on flickr, I'm maxmars70.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

maxmars posted:

That is such a fine example of b/w. I've added you on flickr, I'm maxmars70.

Neato

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

more infinity stylus epic (aka i.s.e.)

Nothing by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Break by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

A Home by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Leaving by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

These work really well as a series, but I didn't think Acros got that grainy (I've only used it in 120 though).

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.
Just picked up an Olympus XA2 in original box with flash for £10, seemed like a good deal. Cannot wait to try this out!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My Stylus Epic arrived this morning, I had no idea how tiny these things were:

Need to shoot a test roll with it now, hoping it's OK :shobon:

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

My Stylus Epic arrived this morning, I had no idea how tiny these things were:

Need to shoot a test roll with it now, hoping it's OK :shobon:

Oh man it's tiny! I know my next purchase

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Speaking of Stylus Epics...

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Miike posted:

To Miike or anyone looking to buy one, I have several stylus epics to sell due to winning too many ebay auctions, in every color scheme they had, I think. Some original styluses and other 35mm P&Ses too!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=124#post409375978

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I just got four new cameras for free from a friend (pictures stolen from the internet and rehosted by me):

Minolta Hi-matic E (1971)

Kodak motormatic 35 (1960-62)

Minolta AF-S (1983)

And a Yunon YN 500 (I don't even know when this was released)

Unfortunately I don't know if they still work. I'll have to test them when I find money to actually purchase/develop film. Hopefully nothing is wrong with these, they look like they're in pretty decent shape.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

OPTICAL COLOR LENS.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.
Some day someone somewhere will invent a black and white lens, and that label will gain meaning

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

penneydude posted:

Some day someone somewhere will invent a black and white lens, and that label will gain meaning

It'll be Leica and it'll cost $25k or something.

VVV i know, but you know you NEED a 35mm noctilux monochrom to go with it. duh.

whereismyshoe fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 13, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Leica actually just came out with a monochrome M9. There's no Bayer filter so it can't interpolate color.

Or you can just stick a viewing filter over your lens and punch the ISO to max.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

penneydude posted:

Doesn't it technically refer to having corrections or coatings to account for different wavelengths of light refracting slightly differently?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Beastruction posted:

Doesn't it technically refer to having corrections or coatings to account for different wavelengths of light refracting slightly differently?

It doesn't matter. (most) Black and white film is sensitive to the whole spectrum of light and all the wavelengths still need to be focused right.

There are some lenses that are supposedly "better for black and white" because they are single coated instead of multicoated. About the only basis for that claim is that single coating produces slightly lower contrast, which may offset the generally higher-contrast nature of a lot of B+W films.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 13, 2012

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
"watch my friends drink"

bringing a film point and shoot out at night is really fun, but the stylus epic zoom 80 is just..meh. there's a few pictures that are in focus but it misses a lot.

whereismyshoe fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 14, 2012

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

whereismyshoe posted:

"watch my friends drink"

bringing a film point and shoot out at night is really fun, but the stylus epic zoom 80 is just..meh. there's a few pictures that are in focus but it misses a lot.

Junior's First Adventure with Spot Focusing... Starring You!

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Also I really don't like how this entire thread has basically turned into the "Go on ebay and buy the first ten epics you see because it's THE BESSSSSSST" but the zooms are poop so stop buying them regardless of how cheap they may be at your Goodwill and just get the non-zoom model.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Also I really don't like how this entire thread has basically turned into the "Go on ebay and buy the first ten epics you see because it's THE BESSSSSSST" but the zooms are poop so stop buying them regardless of how cheap they may be at your Goodwill and just get the non-zoom model.

The Stylus Epic has the undisputed king of lenses in this category though, especially given its price. The only things that rival it are Yashica T series, some of the luxury Ricohs, and the Rollei 35, all of which are quite a bit more.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Stylus Epic has the undisputed king of lenses in this category though, especially given its price. The only things that rival it are Yashica T series, some of the luxury Ricohs, and the Rollei 35, all of which are quite a bit more.

I'm well aware why the camera is so popular (I have a couple kicking around my house and it is primarily what I use for 35mm P&S :ssh: ). I also know that one could commonly find many other 2.8 (or lower!) cameras for less than the price of the first roll of film one would shoot.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Got my test roll back from the ISE, pretty happy with it

Just ran through some Fuji C200 to test it out. Think I need to get to grips with the spot-focus a bit better, some of the other shots aren't as sharp as they thought they'd be (or maybe I just scanned them out of focus :ssh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Got my test roll back from the ISE, pretty happy with it

Just ran through some Fuji C200 to test it out. Think I need to get to grips with the spot-focus a bit better, some of the other shots aren't as sharp as they thought they'd be (or maybe I just scanned them out of focus :ssh:)

Last one is rather sharp, what shutter speed did you use for the first and third?
Also, what is ISE? :-)

• Locked thread