Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Click a thread, go out of it and post a screen of the thread list again showing the unread count. I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm really excited about the next version going live, we have basically every thread tag done. The only ones missing are about ~5 from FYAD that are going to be a little tricky to complete because I don't know the source material.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The Dave posted:

I'm really excited about the next version going live, we have basically every thread tag done. The only ones missing are about ~5 from FYAD that are going to be a little tricky to complete because I don't know the source material.

I don't see this one: :colbert:

(from this WoW thread)

(I'm testing, but I guess I don't know if you're actually updating thread icons yet or just have the ability to)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well we found out through the potions tag that I can't reliably spell things. Not shocking.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

jojoinnit posted:

Click a thread, go out of it and post a screen of the thread list again showing the unread count. I'm curious.
Sure.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The Dave posted:

Well we found out through the potions tag that I can't reliably spell things. Not shocking.
Just to be clear, since I read my post again and I sounded like a dick, I don't care about the potions thread tag and I appreciate your hard work. I was just joshin ya

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion

pokeyman posted:

The rejection cited this rule: "Apps that encourage excessive consumption of alcohol or illegal substances, or encourage minors to consume alcohol or smoke cigarettes, will be rejected", and included two screenshots: the first page of threads in TCC and the OP from the marijuana concentrate thread. I don't think these screenshots are evidence of breaking that rule (note the word excessive), nor do I think TCC in general does anything the rule discusses, but I'm not the arbiter here.

I asked if it was a rating problem (I had revised some of the age ratings since removing the built-in browser) and was told it would be best to remove the content altogether.

Which I did, in the interest of getting Awful into the App Store before 2013.

I think ultimately we can get Awful into the store with TCC. I'll keep trying. I'm just not sure when it'll happen.

Didn't you say earlier that you provide the reviewer with a user account? Couldn't you ask a mod to block TCC on that user account and then it wouldn't show up at all for just that one person, right?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

myron cope posted:

Just to be clear, since I read my post again and I sounded like a dick, I don't care about the potions thread tag and I appreciate your hard work. I was just joshin ya

I'll speak for The Dave for a second to say don't worry about it. We caught four or five tags that were misspelled because of your post.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yes and also as a full time graphics designer I pretty much have lost all emotional response to anyone being slightly negative to me so I didn't even notice!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'd like it if the Dark Theme made every page dark and not just actually inside threads. Kind of defeats the purpose when everything else is still bright white.

Also would like an option to turn off the post icons. And when I have load images automatically turned off, to have the link to them open them in the page as if it was turned on when clicked instead of going to a new page.

But hey at least it works on the iPhone. I couldn't get it to log in at all on my Droid.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

drunken officeparty posted:

Also would like an option to turn off the post icons.

Just to double-check, you mean the thread tags that appear beside each thread in a forum or in your bookmarks?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sandwich Fight posted:

Didn't you say earlier that you provide the reviewer with a user account? Couldn't you ask a mod to block TCC on that user account and then it wouldn't show up at all for just that one person, right?

I like the creative thinking, and there are other ways I've thought of to get around the review process, but this is the kind of thing that gets you banned from the App Store entirely :(

I think we can get TCC in without shenanigans.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

fourwood posted:

Okay, so, what am I missing?

Edit: It shows up in my main thread listing (without being a favorite) and I can read the threads.

I'm baffled. We're quite explicitly not listing TCC in the list of forums (which is forum ID 90).

So I'm glad you somehow managed to get a more useful app than we released :)

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Just to double-check, you mean the thread tags that appear beside each thread in a forum or in your bookmarks?

The thread tags like "Ban Me" and "Attention". In both of them?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
The sad part is I don't even read it. I wish I could share my magic.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

The thread tags like "Ban Me" and "Attention". In both of them?

Got it, just making sure which pile to add you to :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Only 6 post icons remain, and I need everyone's help. If anyone can help me at all in telling me what I need to know to remake these I'm all ears, because I don't recognize the original content:

http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/fyad-madmax.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/lf-burden.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/phiz-ant.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/phiz-robojax.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/YCS-01.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/ycs-violence.gif

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Last one is the level select screen for Doom or Doom 2 but I don't know what exactly the background is.

The burden one is something from the Zulu war but don't know what exactly.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 15, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I realized yesterday that this is probably Space Ghost in this one, but I don't know enough about Space Ghost to find a source image.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

Diabolik900 posted:

I realized yesterday that this is probably Space Ghost in this one, but I don't know enough about Space Ghost to find a source image.
The episode is called "Fire Ant". There are two versions. The standard 11 minute one, and one that is over 20 minutes that is mostly Space Ghost following the ant. My avatar is from this episode.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Atarian posted:

The episode is called "Fire Ant". There are two versions. The standard 11 minute one, and one that is over 20 minutes that is mostly Space Ghost following the ant. My avatar is from this episode.

Awesome. I found the episode on Youtube, so that should be one down, only five more to go.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I knew the Ultra Violence was from DOOM, but I haven't been able to have that knowledge. I can't tell if that is from a real DOOM menu or if it's just the Doom font over a doom texture.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The app seems to consistently crash when trying to open a link to another thread. It shifts to a blank thread view, sits for a couple seconds and exits.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

phiz-robojax solved -

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The Dave posted:

Only 6 post icons remain, and I need everyone's help. If anyone can help me at all in telling me what I need to know to remake these I'm all ears, because I don't recognize the original content:

http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/YCS-01.gif

This one is from Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin on the DS. Looks like character portraits behind the text.

http://youtu.be/g3OZjLW8zDo

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

The Dave posted:

I knew the Ultra Violence was from DOOM, but I haven't been able to have that knowledge. I can't tell if that is from a real DOOM menu or if it's just the Doom font over a doom texture.

I think it is just the words Ultra and Violence on a Doom texture with the screen melt in between.

The menu for difficulty level looked like this.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
As an iPad mini owner, I would love to be able to increase the default font size in the iPad version of the app.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HolySwissCheese posted:

As an iPad mini owner, I would love to be able to increase the default font size in the iPad version of the app.

The new Register app has a cool option to shrink/enlarge the font that I haven't encountered anywhere else. It's quite handy because there's no extra screen to do it.. you just tap the gear icon, a little popup shows up, and you can change the font size. Also nifty is the popup has a night mode setting, which makes switching back and forth quite a bit easier than how Awful does it.

I appreciate it because my choice of font size changes depending on whether I have my glasses on or off.

It might be something worth copying if font scaling becomes a feature for Awful.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

The new Register app... might be something worth copying if font scaling becomes a feature for Awful.

That does work quite well. Thanks for the pointer.

And font size and a whole-app dark mode are on the list.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Only 6 3 post icons remain, and I need everyone's help. If anyone can help me at all in telling me what I need to know to remake these I'm all ears, because I don't recognize the original content:

EDIT: Ugh I thought I hit edit not quote...

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

The Dave posted:

Only 6 3 post icons remain, and I need everyone's help. If anyone can help me at all in telling me what I need to know to remake these I'm all ears, because I don't recognize the original content:

Looks like this smiley. http://www.somethingawful.com/d/daily-dirt/mad-max-smiley.php

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

The Dave posted:

This appears to be from one of the old DOS shooters, either Doom, Duke Nukem 3D or Wolfenstein at a guess. I can't remember which had an "Ultra Violence" difficulty.

The second in the set appears to be a riff on the White Man's Burden, but I couldn't point you to any kind of a source.

EDIT: It was Doom. The first 15 seconds of this video should give you the idea of the inspirations behind it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=QPGluqvBr8g&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQPGluqvBr8g

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 16, 2012

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I just got a new bug. If you're in a thread, and you click a link to another thread the app crashes (just closes itself).

Using an iPhone 4S with iOS 5.1.1.

The app is pretty drat sweet otherwise, i use it all the time and it's pretty solid. Very thankful for this.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm having a problem with the awful app typing in Korean (it's probably the same in other languages.)

I can see when people type in Korean, I can see the Korean up until I post, but when I actually post it's gibberish. Like this; 안녕하세요.

Any idea why that would happen?

What I typed was supposed to be "anyeonghaseyo" but... You know, in hangul.

This has been going on for a while and other people have had the same problem.

Edit: I edited my post and the gibberish changed. At first it was 안녕하세요 and not all those funky As.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 16, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Where on the forums are you typing in Korean? (Not trying to be a dick, genuinely curious)

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Korea megathread IV. I'm not sure what forum it's in (I have it bookmarked, maybe the travel forum?)

Most of us live in Korea and so we use Korean a lot and understand it, so it pops up in the thread often.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Test: 한국인들의 냄비근성 하여튼 알아줘야해. (Copied and pasted from Korea Megathread)

Edit: Looks like it works in 1.9. I'm assuming it's part of the string encoding stuff that Pokeyman figured out recently.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Yeah that looks like normal hangul to me. I'm on 1.5.16.

Edit: theres a 1.9? The app store isnt showing me that.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

BrainDance posted:

Yeah that looks like normal hangul to me. I'm on 1.5.16.

Edit: theres a 1.9? The app store isnt showing me that.
There are two Awful apps in the store right now. The 1.5.16 one is the old app.

E: Also, I don't think that 1.9 is out yet. The current version is 1.7.something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

감사합니다

:/

That's what happened in the other one. 감사합니다

• Locked thread