Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I really want to unhollow, find a confusing maze area, hide, then wait while people invade me. If they find me, they win a prize. But I need a good location - Tomb of the Giants, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dreggon posted:

I really want to unhollow, find a confusing maze area, hide, then wait while people invade me. If they find me, they win a prize. But I need a good location - Tomb of the Giants, maybe?

You could wait at the end of the twisty invisible path in the Crystal Caves with bow and arrow in hand. But then you'd be waiting forever because I can't imagine anyone at all is invading that area.

edit: That also doesn't really fit your purposes, but it is a decent hiding spot. Maybe give a prize to anyone who survives your dragonslayer bow onslaught. Tomb of the Giants is probably best, though, because people will actually invade there.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 14, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Dreggon posted:

Ring of Fog or Chameleon.

Get to work.

Aug 24, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Ring of Fog or Chameleon.

Get to work.

I have both but that's not a location :smug:

Think I'll get invaded much at SL127? Going to go Tomb, plenty of spots to hide.

If I use the Sunlight Maggot, they can't see my light, right? Can they see the yellow of my hat through the darkness?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
At 127? Invaded all the time. Just go pick a spot where you've got a boss alive. Nobody else can see your light, so hiding in the right spots in loving Tomb is a nightmare for invaders.

Covetous Silver Serpent Ring island, with Ring of Fog, for example.

Aug 24, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Covetous Silver Serpent Ring island, with Ring of Fog, for example.

It's like you're reading my mind :stare:

Now I have to find a new spot. I think I have a really good one.

Also, how do you reach the archer that stands on top of the building above the divine? ember?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game is seriously kicking my rear end, I can't even get past the first bonfire in Undead Burg...

EDIT: I have a couple of questions.

How do I get better at Pyromancy?

How do I get rid of random junk that's cluttering my inventory?

Where's the next bonfire after the one that's in Undead Burg?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 14, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Jack Trades posted:

EDIT: I have a couple of questions.

How do I get better at Pyromancy?

Pay to upgrade it later on from a few different NPCs.

quote:

How do I get rid of random junk that's cluttering my inventory?

Either drop it if you really need to clean things up, or wait until later on when you can feed it to a certain NPC for a small amount of souls.

quote:

Where's the next bonfire after the one that's in Undead Burg?

There isn't one for a while after that one, though you reach a shortcut that takes you back to it after you beat the first real boss.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

You can also buy a botomless box from the merchant right before that bonfire and store all your unwanted crap there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There isn't one for a while after that one, though you reach a shortcut that takes you back to it after you beat the first real boss.

That explains why I can't manage to get to it.

Aug 24, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

That explains why I can't manage to get to it.

Should unlock right after you kill the knight out on that balcony.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dreggon posted:

Should unlock right after you kill the knight out on that balcony.

I only managed to get to him a couple of times and each time he smeared me across the floor so hard, I haven't managed to recover my blood stain.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

DrProsek posted:

I'm trying to get Dark Souls running on my laptop, but when I use DSFix it crashes when it gets to the "Press Start" screen. Anybody know what causes that, google seems to think it's a 64 and 32 bit application running at once but I can run it just fine if DSFix is deleted so I don't think it's a 64/32 bit conflict.

E: Of course, AA and Motion blur are disabled, and the resolution in DSFIx matches the resolution I set the game to in the options menu in game.

This is going to sound crazy. Are you using motion joy to use a ps3 controller? I have to use a specific in port on my computer to use my ps3 controller with DS. If I use any other port for my controller, the game crashes when I try to slide down ladders...

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Jack Trades posted:

I only managed to get to him a couple of times and each time he smeared me across the floor so hard, I haven't managed to recover my blood stain.

The Black Knight is optional, but good practice.

Make sure you've cleared out all the zombies in the area first. Provoke him (hurl a fireball or something) and run back to the open area between a circular tower, a ladder to a rooftop, and a door you can open if you have the key. You want a nice bit of space to maneuver around in.

As you fight, keep circling him counterclockwise, sticking to his left. Keep your shield up but don't stop moving -- you want to avoid the sword strikes, as even with your shield up, they'll break your guard quickly and he's apt to do combos.

The best opening is right after he does a combo shield bash + long forward thrust, as this leaves him vulnerable for the longest amount of time. At low level he's gonna take a lot of hits, but if you manage to keep pace with the black knight, it means you've made great progress in getting the rhythm of Dark Souls combat down.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I just invaded a world where two guys were trying to be cute with pyromancy, so I tumbled past their fireballs and Dark Flamed the co-op phantom player. Instant death. awwwww yeeeee

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Mazed posted:

The Black Knight is optional, but good practice.

Make sure you've cleared out all the zombies in the area first. Provoke him (hurl a fireball or something) and run back to the open area between a circular tower, a ladder to a rooftop, and a door you can open if you have the key. You want a nice bit of space to maneuver around in.

As you fight, keep circling him counterclockwise, sticking to his left. Keep your shield up but don't stop moving -- you want to avoid the sword strikes, as even with your shield up, they'll break your guard quickly and he's apt to do combos.

The best opening is right after he does a combo shield bash + long forward thrust, as this leaves him vulnerable for the longest amount of time. At low level he's gonna take a lot of hits, but if you manage to keep pace with the black knight, it means you've made great progress in getting the rhythm of Dark Souls combat down.

You could also be incredibly cheap like I was:

I kited him and climbed the ladder to that platform where the firebomb chuckers are. Then everytime he got bored and started going up the stairs to get back to the spot he guards, I hit him in the back of the head with an arrow until he died.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Black Knights become incredibly easy if you learn how to parry their attacks. Then it's just a matter of walking up to them and waiting for them to strike. Parry, riposte, rinse, repeat.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

If you're quick in getting away from him the first time, you can lead the first black knight back up to the platform next to the tower with the crossbow guy on it (after clearing out the three guys in that open area and the three firebomb throwing dudes up top) and just circle around and do repeated plunging attacks on him. Here's how it works:

Get him to the bottom of the stairs. Wait for him to start to swing. Move up the stairs and forward to the edge and do a plunging attack before he comes up the stairs. Immediately roll backwards so he doesn't hit you. Bring him back to the bottom of the stairs and repeat.

Parrying black knights can be tough and you're going to die several times while you work out the timing.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

verybad posted:

Black Knights become incredibly easy if you learn how to parry their attacks. Then it's just a matter of walking up to them and waiting for them to strike. Parry, riposte, rinse, repeat.

That works well if they have a sword. If they have a halberd, you just have to bait them into attacking and hit them when they're open.

SMLJ
Sep 7, 2010

DrProsek posted:

I'm trying to get Dark Souls running on my laptop, but when I use DSFix it crashes when it gets to the "Press Start" screen. Anybody know what causes that, google seems to think it's a 64 and 32 bit application running at once but I can run it just fine if DSFix is deleted so I don't think it's a 64/32 bit conflict.

E: Of course, AA and Motion blur are disabled, and the resolution in DSFIx matches the resolution I set the game to in the options menu in game.

I experienced something pretty close, Dark Souls just stops responding when it gets to the Press Start, none of the buttons work, the Dark Souls title don't appear and the entire screen looks a little dim. My issue was that the game was running in windowed mode, so I renamed the dll file went to settings and switched back to fullscreen mode and renamed the DSFix dll again, loads up fine.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Goddamn, I love this game. I can't believe I just had this sitting around in my Steam library for a few months; Now that I'm playing it I just can't put it down. No game has ever come close to replicating the tension, the thrill, the pure, unfiltered nature of adventure like Dark Souls does.

An experience that stuck out for me:

Feeling like I'm finally getting the hang of this game (probably a bad idea), I descend into the Depths, avoiding poisonous rats and hanging gelatinous devourers. I enter a maze-like series of thin corridors, and see that rats are slowly backing away from me in the distance, almost as if they were luring me. Keeping my wits about me, I proceed very slowly while peering upwards, certain that the rats are trying to get a slime to drop down on me before attacking. Suddenly, everything goes dark as my character has a rapid descent through an open sewer grate. I don't even have time to scream as my mind goes into a panic. How could I be so foolish; all of the attacks from the ceilings made me completely forget to look at the very ground beneath my feet. I consider giving the developers a slow clap, but I notice that my hero has survived the fall, cushioned by the dead bodies scattered around me. I look around erratically, heart racing, to get my bearings. It is dark. And I am alone. Wait. Movement. I am not alone. In Dark Souls you are never truly alone...

Getting out of that pit was incredible. The adrenaline borne from fear and loss of direction surpasses any other survival game I've played. I'm not sure if it was the game's intention to catch me out with the pit by throwing constant ceiling hazards at me beforehand, but in a funny way, I'm glad I fell into that pit.

Dark Souls is the best falling simulator I've played.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Drakes are kind of tricky to run past but it's possible. Don't try to fight them at your level. That, or just equip a ring of sacrifice or use a homeward bone. I'm assuming you have a lot of souls on you otherwise this wouldn't be a big deal.

I've only got something like 9k. Not a huge amount but I'm early enough it still kind of matters. I think the biggest challenge in Dark Souls is figuring out where the gently caress I should be going.

Also is there some super secret strategy for melee characters to fight the Moonlight Butterfly? Or was I right in assuming I should just buy a gently caress ton of bolts for the Light Crossbow I scavenged earlier?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Is there a way to sell excess garbage weapons/armor you get from enemies? Or do you just drop it all off somewhere?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

fennesz posted:

Also is there some super secret strategy for melee characters to fight the Moonlight Butterfly? Or was I right in assuming I should just buy a gently caress ton of bolts for the Light Crossbow I scavenged earlier?

You can summon a certain magic-slinging character to that fight. Look around at the bottom of the stairs for a sign.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

HenryEx posted:

You can summon a certain magic-slinging character to that fight. Look around at the bottom of the stairs for a sign.

Hm. I remember looking around the bottom of the stairs because there were a few notes around but didn't see anything. Either I missed it and I'm blind or I won't be able to summon any bros because I accidentally killed Oswald (I think you folks said his name was) up on the top of the Undead Parish. Son of a bitch.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

fennesz posted:

Summon the witch or dodge his attacks until he lands to rest.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

fennesz posted:

Hm. I remember looking around the bottom of the stairs because there were a few notes around but didn't see anything. Either I missed it and I'm blind or I won't be able to summon any bros because I accidentally killed Oswald (I think you folks said his name was) up on the top of the Undead Parish. Son of a bitch.

Oswald being dead won't prevent summon signs, NPC or otherwise, from showing up. Just make sure you're human and look around closely.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Office Thug posted:

Is there a way to sell excess garbage weapons/armor you get from enemies? Or do you just drop it all off somewhere?

If you wait until a certain NPC shows up you can feed excess items to him for a fairly small amount of souls. If it's a common weapon/armor it's probably only worth 50 anyway, but you can.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I was playing last night on my newbie, as I realised I hadn't actually completed the game yet. He was on Capra Demon which even after playing through the game most of the way and fighting in the demon ruins, still wrecks my day, but I took him down and was about to head through the depths to blighttown.

Then I remembered I had the master key, turned around and killed Queelag within about 20 minutes. I didn't seem to do much damage to her though, but it was enough.

It's been forever since I last played the game though, so I was wondering is aiming for something like a fire/lightning Zweihander still a pretty viable option? I sort of want to get Ornstein's armour and spear (he is the little one right?) and run around as a dragoon, but I have no idea if that'll be effective.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ReWinter posted:

Oswald being dead won't prevent summon signs, NPC or otherwise, from showing up. Just make sure you're human and look around closely.

Ah, ok I wasn't human. Haha I love how many extremely important facts are never, ever explained and just left up to yourself to figure out.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

fennesz posted:

Ah, ok I wasn't human. Haha I love how many extremely important facts are never, ever explained and just left up to yourself to figure out.

Solaire tells you this! :ssh:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Office Thug posted:

That's what the Drop command is for, just throw it on the ground! Pretty soon, the magical litter-eating creatures that inhabit Lordran will scoop up and eat your discarded garbage. If you happen to see one, be sure and thank it for its good work, then pummel it to death and harvest the juicy humanity they convert the trash into.
Watch out, though! They shoot nasty lasers!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Quote is not edit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Holy poo poo this game is hard. I approve. Is there any reason not to spend souls as soon as possible in the beginning stages of the game? I just go the first bonfire in the Undead Burg and short of trying to save up for equipment I don't understand the efficacy of, I can't see a reason to just spend levels as I get them so I don't have to worry about dying as much.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Holy poo poo this game is hard. I approve. Is there any reason not to spend souls as soon as possible in the beginning stages of the game? I just go the first bonfire in the Undead Burg and short of trying to save up for equipment I don't understand the efficacy of, I can't see a reason to just spend levels as I get them so I don't have to worry about dying as much.

Not really. I mean you'll want to upgrade stuff, so there's that, and there are a few items which are pretty much regarded as mandatory (repair box and kit to upgrade weapons/armour at bonfires) to just save hassle.

So yeah, there is a reason actually. Just decide which you feel you need more and go for that until you feel good with how things are going, then go for the other.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Ravenfood posted:

It doesn't matter if you lose two souls or two billion souls; if you didn't get to spend them, you never had them in the first place. This pretty much holds true through the whole game

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Ravenfood posted:

There are some sweet spots level wise for pvp and co-op. A lot of people like to hang around SL 35ish for The Depths or Blighttown, for example. So they level to that point, making sure their stats allow them to use whatever gear they've chosen to stick with, and pump all the rest of their souls into improving that gear.

I'm impressed with how busy the game still is. This morning I got summoned at SL30 for the Gaping Dragon three times in half an hour, summoned two bros to help me beat him myself, and each run we had at least one not twinked out or hacking invasion (not spiky dude, a real player). It was pretty neat.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I was under the impression that the host using Estus was supposed to heal summoned phantoms, but when I tried to summon Solaire and Lautrec to fight the Gaping Dragon (a bad idea in retrospect) this didn't seem to work. Is there a short radius to the effect or something?

Also, how do I aim bows and other ranged weapons? I've seen pictures of aiming with bows and whatnot to do things like hit the Hellkite's tail, but nothing I've tried has let me do that. I'm using a gamepad, not keyboard.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paracelsus posted:

I was under the impression that the host using Estus was supposed to heal summoned phantoms, but when I tried to summon Solaire and Lautrec to fight the Gaping Dragon (a bad idea in retrospect) this didn't seem to work. Is there a short radius to the effect or something?

Also, how do I aim bows and other ranged weapons? I've seen pictures of aiming with bows and whatnot to do things like hit the Hellkite's tail, but nothing I've tried has let me do that. I'm using a gamepad, not keyboard.

NPCs cannot be healed. Left bumper enables aiming.

edit: Oops I meant they can't be healed by flasks, never tried with a healing miracle.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Do the healing miracles affect Solaire/Lautrec?

• Locked thread