Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Install Gentoo posted:

I've seen a few people on facebook and stuff recently start claiming that marijuana legalization is a bad thing because it makes it harder to legalize other drugs now. Somehow. Anyone else encountering this?

I know a lot of hardcore "legalize it all" (which is my position) advocates who wanted to use pot as a stalking horse for everything. Pot is a drug that most people agree should be legal, opiates, cocaine, acid, DMT, x, ketamine not so much. The logic is if you had sweeping drug reform some of those substances could ride in on pots coattails. But if you take pot out of the fight a lot of the support instantly vanishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

SilentD posted:

I know a lot of hardcore "legalize it all" (which is my position) advocates who wanted to use pot as a stalking horse for everything. Pot is a drug that most people agree should be legal, opiates, cocaine, acid, DMT, x, ketamine not so much. The logic is if you had sweeping drug reform some of those substances could ride in on pots coattails. But if you take pot out of the fight a lot of the support instantly vanishes.

Conversely, if you refuse to let pot legalization stand on its own and link it to legalization of other drugs like heroin or cocaine, support for pot legalization rapidly diminishes. Government doesn't really do sweeping reforms of any regulations or laws, you pretty much have to chip away at them over time no matter the situation.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

QuarkJets posted:

That doesn't make any sense. We shouldn't give a poo poo about the actual price, any tax revenue that is made is still greater than or equal to the tax revenue that we get from pot sales now (which is $0), and millions or billions of dollars are saved from no longer prosecuting and jailing people who are breaking an unnecessary law. Everything about this is a huge win even if you're like me and don't smoke pot

This ignores a huge host of other societal benefits that are gained from legalization, such as reducing violent crime
It conveniently ignores those tax dollar savings and somehow arrives at the conclusion that the weed tax would not make much money. Of course, it also starts with a premise that I think a lot of people disagree with and which there is very little scientific evidence - more people smoking more weed is a BAD thing. Economically, the section on the elasticity of demand was somewhat insulting as well, given that weed and other drugs do not behave at all like more traditional and widely consumed goods.

SilentD posted:

Probably because some of those substances listed are highly addictive, physically damaging and outright dangerous. There is a reason pot legalization has much more support than heroin legalization.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Spoondick posted:

Conversely, if you refuse to let pot legalization stand on its own and link it to legalization of other drugs like heroin or cocaine, support for pot legalization rapidly diminishes. Government doesn't really do sweeping reforms of any regulations or laws, you pretty much have to chip away at them over time no matter the situation.

Besides, wouldn't the presence of legal pot ultimately yield genuine real-world evidence of the folly of prohibition?

cheese posted:

Probably because some of those substances listed are highly addictive, physically damaging and outright dangerous. There is a reason pot legalization has much more support than heroin legalization.

Well, some of the main arguments for legalizing pot apply equally to more dangerous drugs (such as that there's nothing to gain from treating drug addiction as an offense to be punished rather than an illness to be treated).

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Cockmaster posted:

Well, some of the main arguments for legalizing pot apply equally to more dangerous drugs (such as that there's nothing to gain from treating drug addiction as an offense to be punished rather than an illness to be treated).

That's pretty much where I stand. Legalize it all and treat it as a public health issue.

You want to take out the Mexican cartels? Wait till Monsanto and Phil Morris start farming pot and cocaine, then you'll see what a cartel really is like.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

SilentD posted:

I do think we should recognize that this is a step in the correct direction but the entire CSA needs to be re-worked and if we're actually going to use it, needs to be based on science. The entire class schedule is hosed from top to bottom. Having MDMA and LSD as schedule one is as absurd as pot being there. I'm sure you already know how different that list of drugs is you posted but I'll be damned if it doesn't irk me something fierce when I see LSD, DMT or MDMA compared with opiates.

cheese posted:

The way I see it we either trust adults to manage their substance intake or we don't. Treating everything case by case is pretty drat pointless considering the most dangerous recreational drug of any meaningful popularity is already legal, alcohol.

a lovely poster fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 14, 2012

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Basically the only drug which needs to be outright banned or artificially made a shitload more expensive at least is alcohol.

But the current narrative in Australia is that it would place too much of a financial burden on the poorer members of society if alcohol prices were raised - students and pensioners were the two examples given - as though it would be a bad thing if those groups drank less.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Flaky posted:

it would place too much of a financial burden on the poorer members of society if alcohol prices were raised - students and pensioners were the two examples given - as though it would be a bad thing if those groups drank less.

It's a rather insulting attitude if you ask me. It implies that poor people are unable to modify their drinking habits if the price goes up; as though being poor makes you a slave to your basest desires and somehow unable to control yourself.

It's a line you hear repeated ad nauseam every-time the tax on cigarettes goes up.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Flaky posted:

But the current narrative in Australia is that it would place too much of a financial burden on the poorer members of society if alcohol prices were raised - students and pensioners were the two examples given - as though it would be a bad thing if those groups drank less.

Basically you can boil it down to a class question: anyone who actually lives on a decent income isn't affected by a price hike of cigarettes or alcohol at all. However, the spending patterns and general entertainment available to poorer individuals are vastly different than those of middle-class or rich people.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
^^^^When alcohol goes up, you just switch to a cheaper brand :)

SilentD posted:

Honestly, your entire premise is off. Pot isn't a drug. It is a plant, that is smoked in its natural form. That alone makes it completely different from any "drug" on the planet.

Personally, if I could get up in the morning and snort a rail of cocaine instead of drinking a redbull or 3 cups of coffee to get through the day I would. Then come home and smoke a bowl instead of drinking a beer or 6 to wipe away the memories of all the stupid users I had to deal with in the last 10 hours. I'd probably be much healthier too.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Has there been any major cases on the federal level regarding marijuana since Randall v US? Isn't the whole Compassionate IND program a giant double standard that hasn't been challenged at all in regards to medical marijuana?

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Pot isn't a drug. It is a plant, that is smoked in its natural form. That alone makes it completely different from any "drug" on the planet.
Are tobacco, ethanol, coca, salvia, DMT, mescaline, psylocybin, khat, caffeine, opium, and a host of other recreational and medicinal drugs not drugs either? Because these are all natural products as well.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

veedubfreak posted:

Honestly, your entire premise is off. Pot isn't a drug. It is a plant, that is smoked in its natural form. That alone makes it completely different from any "drug" on the planet.

No it doesn't. It's still a chemical compound that interacts with your body. The distinction of it being "natural" doesn't mean poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

veedubfreak posted:

^^^^When alcohol goes up, you just switch to a cheaper brand :)

Personally, if I could get up in the morning and snort a rail of cocaine instead of drinking a redbull or 3 cups of coffee to get through the day I would. Then come home and smoke a bowl instead of drinking a beer or 6 to wipe away the memories of all the stupid users I had to deal with in the last 10 hours. I'd probably be much healthier too.

One of the reasons, in fact it may be the biggest reason, why pot is getting legalized while other drugs arent is that we have a storied and very lengthy history with it. No major negative societal effects can be found in history (Think opium war levels) and it is known well enough by enough of the public that the efforts to stigmatize will only fall on ears of the choir.

To legalize the other drugs we have to do something much, much harder. We have to battle the anti-intellectualism that is centered around drug use and the political and economic parties that use it as a tool.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
I think really if we want to talk about legalization of other recreational drugs you have to look closely at abuse-ability and harm they can cause. Drugs that are naturally addictive (like heroin or meth) can cause much more serious social problems from addiction or problems caused by addicts of these drugs. However this means we would probably have to overhaul our drug scheduling so that way other, less abuseable or addictive recreational drugs like MDMA and LSD aren't in the same category.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pedrophile posted:

I think really if we want to talk about legalization of other recreational drugs you have to look closely at abuse-ability and harm they can cause. Drugs that are naturally addictive (like heroin or meth) can cause much more serious social problems from addiction or problems caused by addicts of these drugs. However this means we would probably have to overhaul our drug scheduling so that way other, less abuseable or addictive recreational drugs like MDMA and LSD aren't in the same category.

Well if we are going to spend time into researching their harm and then implement some draconic scheduling laws why not spend the exact same time and resources in educating the public on which drugs do what, setting up public pathways for harm reduction and just increasing awareness instead of following abstinence.

People are much less likely to endanger themselves foolishly when they know the risks. Of course you will have the few that will immerse themselves deeply into a downwards spiral but those people exist already even under the current laws.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Preem Palver posted:

Are tobacco, ethanol, coca, salvia, DMT, mescaline, psylocybin, khat, caffeine, opium, and a host of other recreational and medicinal drugs not drugs either? Because these are all natural products as well.

Pretty much all of those have to be refined in some form or fashion to become the product that is introduced to the body. Psylocybin and Mescaline easily fall into the same category as MJ and should be treated as such. My point is, what gives those rich assholes running the country any right to tell me that I can't pick up a plant growing out of the ground and ingest it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

veedubfreak posted:

Pretty much all of those have to be refined in some form or fashion to become the product that is introduced to the body. Psylocybin and Mescaline easily fall into the same category as MJ and should be treated as such. My point is, what gives those rich assholes running the country any right to tell me that I can't pick up a plant growing out of the ground and ingest it.

There are plenty of plants you wouldn't want to pick up off the ground and ingest. Rhubarb, nightshade, and hemlock come to mind. "Natural" does not equal safe, or effective, or not a drug. Your attitude is exactly the negative stereotype applied to "hippie drug users." If we want a reasonable drug policy, then we need to discuss drugs and drug policy in a scientific, evidence-based manner.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

There are plenty of plants you wouldn't want to pick up off the ground and ingest. Rhubarb, nightshade, and hemlock come to mind. "Natural" does not equal safe, or effective, or not a drug. Your attitude is exactly the negative stereotype applied to "hippie drug users." If we want a reasonable drug policy, then we need to discuss drugs and drug policy in a scientific, evidence-based manner.
Poison-ivy is not illegal.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

NathanScottPhillips posted:

If you dried it, rolled it and sold it to some kids telling them smoking it would get them high, you may find otherwise.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

I hate to continue this dumb argument, but if you start with the presumption that drug use is bad (it's a wrong but common starting point) you need something to prevent people from picking it up off the ground and ingesting it. Poison Ivy is sort of self-regulating in this regard and doesn't require the law. I'm sure if Poison Ivy reactions were considered pleasurable it would be regulated legally as opposed to naturally.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Cantorsdust posted:

"Natural" does not equal safe, or effective, or not a drug. Your attitude is exactly the negative stereotype applied to "hippie drug users." If we want a reasonable drug policy, then we need to discuss drugs and drug policy in a scientific, evidence-based manner.

You summed this up better than I did. "Natural" is not a compelling argument to many people, nor is it a winning legal one either.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Spoondick posted:

If you dried it, rolled it and sold it to some kids telling them smoking it would get them high, you may find otherwise.
And selling alcohol to kids is also illegal. What if you sold it to a consenting adult? Should that be illegal?

Delta-Wye posted:

I hate to continue this dumb argument, but if you start with the presumption that drug use is bad (it's a wrong but common starting point) you need something to prevent people from picking it up off the ground and ingesting it. Poison Ivy is sort of self-regulating in this regard and doesn't require the law. I'm sure if Poison Ivy reactions were considered pleasurable it would be regulated legally as opposed to naturally.
Alcohol makes you puke and tobacco makes you cough but they're legal.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

veedubfreak posted:

Why should refinement have anything to do with the legality of consuming the chemicals you like?

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Crackbone posted:

No it doesn't. It's still a chemical compound that interacts with your body. The distinction of it being "natural" doesn't mean poo poo.

The whole word "drug" doesn't even have a real clear definition. As far as I can tell, by the definition most people use, sugar is a drug. Food is a drug. Everything we ingest interacts with our biochemistry on some level. The bottom line is that the government should not really be in the business of telling people which substances they can or cannot ingest. There's just no upside to punishing ingestion as a criminal offense. The only two things that will "fix" America's "drug problem" are education and a more expansive healthcare system.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

RichieWolk posted:

Why should refinement have anything to do with the legality of consuming the chemicals you like?

Because no one should be able to tell me what I can and can't do in the privacy of my own loving house?

It all comes back around to rich people making sure they control poor people.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

a lovely poster posted:

The bottom line is that the government should not really be in the business of telling people which substances they can or cannot ingest

Uh yeah it is, it's like 90% of food regulations. And medicine regulations. We do a ton of things to prevent people from using lead and other such things in stuff people will ingest.

veedubfreak posted:

Because no one should be able to tell me what I can and can't do in the privacy of my own loving house?

You can refine meth in the privacy of your own house so again what does refinement have to do with it?
You chose to use those terms, refinement, refined etc.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Install Gentoo posted:

Uh yeah it is, it's like 90% of food regulations. And medicine regulations. We do a ton of things to prevent people from using lead and other such things in stuff people will ingest.

There's a difference between making sure that people don't unwittingly consume toxic substances and letting people willingly consume substances. I should have a reasonable expectation that my breakfast cereal won't have arsenic in it, but if I want to eat arsenic (suicide) or smoke some cigarettes then there ought to be an affirmative case for why I shouldn't do what I want with my body.

The "natural" argument is loving stupid though. Natural substances contain/produce chemical compounds which are drugs. Willow bark contains salicylic acid, eating it is a delivery vector. Salicylic acid is definitely a drug (one of the precursors to aspirin), it doesn't matter whether you get it by extraction or by chewing some bark. THC is the drug in weed, the delivery vector is oral or inhalation.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 14, 2012

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

You can refine meth in the privacy of your own house so again what does refinement have to do with it?
You chose to use those terms, refinement, refined etc.
They don't come and test your vegetables from your garden before you eat them and they don't come test your kid's tree house for contaminants. They only test things sold, in like, a store.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

a lovely poster posted:

The whole word "drug" doesn't even have a real clear definition. As far as I can tell, by the definition most people use, sugar is a drug. Food is a drug. Everything we ingest interacts with our biochemistry on some level. The bottom line is that the government should not really be in the business of telling people which substances they can or cannot ingest. There's just no upside to punishing ingestion as a criminal offense. The only two things that will "fix" America's "drug problem" are education and a more expansive healthcare system.

I agree in general terms. My point was pot being "natural" means jack poo poo for any legal or even policy purpose. Government policies should be made on the basis of data, harm, and benefits - and of that we have overwhelming amounts of data that pot should be legal, regardless of if it's "natural" or not.

On the other hand, I believe the government does have a right to control some ingestable. Restricting access to antibiotics, for example, is a slam-dunk example. Restricting access to more "dangerous" narcotics has a case, I think as well, but by any logical measure marijuana fails to meet those criteria.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Preem Palver posted:

Some of those are drugs and some of those are substances that contain drugs. In a certain context it's just being pedantic, but there is a real point for example to saying something like "beer is not a drug." As dangerous as beer is, as a means to deliver alcohol it is a LOT safer than vaporizing or injecting alcohol, which carries a much higher risk of death. It's also relevant in the case of marijuana that it isn't just arbitrary plant + THC; see for example how Marinol does not have the same efficacy as marijuana.

Coca is another good example: really the only reason it is illegal is because cocaine exists, not because people are getting hosed up on coca.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Paul MaudDib posted:

There's a difference between making sure that people don't unwittingly consume toxic substances and letting people willingly consume substances. I should have a reasonable expectation that my breakfast cereal won't have arsenic in it, but if I want to eat arsenic (suicide) or smoke some cigarettes then there ought to be an affirmative case for why I shouldn't do what I want with my body.

People used to use lead in foods for coloring and flavor. You can't buy those foods anymore. It's something that isn't permitted by regulations now. There are all kinds of things you used to be able to have in food for general consumption that can't be done now.

They don't come and test your vegetables from your garden before you eat them and they don't come test your kid's tree house for contaminants. They only test things sold, in like, a store.

What does that have to do with anything? They also don't come and test your home meth lab or your hydroponic weed farm in most cases either, unless you slip up.

They don't even test most food that's actually in the store either. But if it does turn out to be reported contaminated you get in trouble with the law. I mean jeez you hear about food having to be recalled all the time; that's because testing is often done after the fact.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Boulder DA dismissing small-scale marijuana possession cases in light of Amendment 64

TFA posted:

District Attorney Stan Garnett today announced that his office will dismiss all pending cases of marijuana possession under one ounce, saying the overwhelming support for Amendment 64 in Boulder County would make it highly unlikely a jury would ever reach a guilty verdict in any of those cases.

"You've seen an end to mere possession cases in Boulder County under my office," Garnett said.

It was an ethical decision," Garnett said. "The standard for beginning or continuing criminal prosecution is whether a prosecutor has reasonable belief they can get a unanimous conviction by a jury. Given Amendment 64 passed by a more than 2-to-1 margin (in Boulder County), we concluded that it would be inappropriate for us to continue to prosecute simple possession of marijuana less than an ounce and paraphernalia for those over 21."

:unsmith:

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Install Gentoo posted:

The government does have a job in ensuring that the consumer is informed 100% about what they are ingesting, especially if they are receiving that product through the economic system the government manages. That being said, if people want to eat lead after being told the consequences, that's fine with me. I'm all for putting the dangers front and center (for example, warning labels on tobacco products) but allowing consumers to ignore them if they elect to. I find this much preferable to the government deciding which substances we should or should not be able to ingest.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

What does that have to do with anything? They also don't come and test your home meth lab or your hydroponic weed farm in most cases either, unless you slip up.

They don't even test most food that's actually in the store either. But if it does turn out to be reported contaminated you get in trouble with the law. I mean jeez you hear about food having to be recalled all the time; that's because testing is often done after the fact.

The difference is that not only can they come in and test your hydroponic weed farm (or meth lab), the very notion of its existence is probable cause to break down your doors, you can get arrested and have all your assets seized for having one, and it is illegal to farm weed even if you personally consume every last ounce of product.

If you have a home vegetable garden that is crawling with salmonella, which is far more dangerous than any weed farm, that is your prerogative until you start trying to sell those vegetables. You can eat the stuff day and night while sending mocking messages to the FDA about flouting their rules, there is nothing that can be done to you. On top of that, even if you do start selling your contaminated vegetables, the worst consequence is usually a civil penalty barring some sort of gross negligence.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

a lovely poster posted:

The government does have a job in ensuring that the consumer is informed 100% about what they are ingesting, especially if they are receiving that product through the economic system the government manages. That being said, if people want to eat lead after being told the consequences, that's fine with me. I'm all for putting the dangers front and center (for example, warning labels on tobacco products) but allowing consumers to ignore them if they elect to. I find this much preferable to the government deciding which substances we should or should not be able to ingest.

Point is that we can and do restrict things that people can ingest all the time. It's a fully accepted practice and it's in the nation's best interest to make sure that people aren't getting straight up poisoned by everyday foods even if they say they want to be.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The difference is that not only can they come in and test your hydroponic weed farm (or meth lab), the very notion of its existence is probable cause to break down your doors, you can get arrested and have all your assets seized for having one, and it is illegal to farm weed even if you personally consume every last ounce of product.

If you have a home vegetable garden that is crawling with salmonella, which is far more dangerous than any weed farm, that is your prerogative until you start trying to sell those vegetables. You can eat the stuff day and night while sending mocking messages to the FDA about flouting their rules, there is nothing that can be done to you. On top of that, even if you do start selling your contaminated vegetables, the worst consequence is usually a civil penalty barring some sort of gross negligence.

But that's not a difference in whether it's allowed at all. Both selling weed and selling food you known is contaminated are illegal. It does not matter that one puts you up to harsher penalties.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

But that's not a difference in whether it's allowed at all. Both selling weed and selling food you known is contaminated are illegal. It does not matter that one puts you up to harsher penalties.

Of course it's a difference in whether it's allowed, you are the only person here limiting the discussion to sales.

Let's try this again, perhaps you can figure this out if it's spelled out for you step by step:
-Harmful substances, generally speaking, do not have possession and/or use prohibited. This goes for contaminated food, adulterated drugs, or just plain poisons. To make this as clear as possible, anyone can create and ingest as much of any of these prohibited items as he or she wants, with absolutely no legal penalties even if this person advertises their flouting of regulatory standards.
-This is not true for weed. Manufacture and consumption, even for strictly personal use, is prohibited.
-That the sale of both items is prohibited does not change the fact that their manufacture and consumption are treated differently by the law. The (very disparate) regulations on sales do not somehow magically eliminate how personal use is regulated.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Of course it's a difference in whether it's allowed, you are the only person here limiting the discussion to sales.

Because I was only talking about sales to begin with.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

-Harmful substances, generally speaking, do not have possession and/or use prohibited. This goes for contaminated food, adulterated drugs, or just plain poisons. To make this as clear as possible, anyone can create and ingest as much of any of these prohibited items as he or she wants, with absolutely no legal penalties even if this person advertises their flouting of regulatory standards.

Tons of harmful substances have their possession and use prohibited. How much plutonium do you think you can make out back before you get in trouble? poo poo, you can get in a hell of a lot of trouble just for possessing chemicals that 5 steps later on are sued to manufacture a drug, and they're usually toxic in themselves.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 14, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
It makes absolutely no sense to deprive cannabis users of their liberty while others are allowed an equal or more harmful liberty like drinking alcohol and smoking tobacco.

The common retort is that we don't want to add to the problem we have with those other drugs (by adding another intoxicant into the mix) so the government has the right to draw the line between a lawful and unlawful act where ever it choses.

Of course, if we grant the government that right they could quite easily make it a criminal offence for blacks to imbibe alcohol on the grounds that 'we've already got big problem with drinking among whites'.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KingEup posted:

It makes absolutely no sense to deprive cannabis users of their liberty while others are allowed an equal or more harmful liberty like drinking alcohol and smoking tobacco.

I agree. Although are you aware that there were severe restrictions against tobacco and cigarettes in many states around the late 19th/early 20th century? Was actually quite popular for a while, mostly died off before Prohibition.

• Locked thread