Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

az jan jananam posted:

I believe I remember someone posting a guide to get Facebook Chat channeled into your Google Chat somehow (using XMPP I think?), can anyone repost that?

Are you referring to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'm noticing lots of duplicate albums on the marketplace. Same tracks yet price difference can be as much as £5.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Geektox posted:

Are you referring to this?

Yes thanks! Turned out to be kind of a pain in the rear end to figure out so I gave up.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

az jan jananam posted:

Yes thanks! Turned out to be kind of a pain in the rear end to figure out so I gave up.

I'd recommend imo.im or IM+, both are really simple multi-protocol clients and both support push. I believe they both have syncing across devices, including a web-based client.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have multiple Google accounts on my phone. In Gmail app, is there a way to make one of them the main primary default account? It seems to open to the last one you used, and I don't want to send an email from the wrong account. Especially since when typing in the To address, the autofill pulls from both address books.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When you compose an email, click the drop down menu at the top which lets you decide where to send email from. It defaults to whatever inbox you are currently in.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

When you compose an email, click the drop down menu at the top which lets you decide where to send email from. It defaults to whatever inbox you are currently in.

Well, for example, if you are in the Gallery and choose to share your photo via email, it will send that email from the last account you used. I want it to always choose one account. I guess it doesn't seem like it supports this feature.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just selected gmail from the sharing options in the gallery and it took me to the normal compose screen where I can choose which account to send from.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This is half phone question and half app question, but is there any app in existence that can sleep/wake the phone by Proximity/Accelerometer/Magnets without needing to keep the phone in Partial Wake Lock? I think the closest I've seen is the N7 which has some magnetic smart cover support, but I wouldn't expect that in any phone hardware.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The new Clock app is a loving travesty of user interface design. Just keep the loving Holo design from before and add a stop watch and tea timer. How hard is that Google?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Is there any other good walkie-talkie/push-to-talk apps like Voxer? Preferably something also on iOS?

Voxer doesn't seem to like Jelly Bean on my One X. It keeps killing the microphone forcing me to reboot or force stop it to make it work again.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

UnbornApple posted:

The new Clock app is a loving travesty of user interface design. Just keep the loving Holo design from before and add a stop watch and tea timer. How hard is that Google?

This is honestly the first time online I've seen someone hate the new Clock app. The Android bloggers have such irrational love for it, I'd swear Google is paying them to fawn over it.

Especially those at Android Central and Android Police.

If you listened to them, you'd think the Clock app gave them blowjobs as soon as they woke up on time every single day.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you listened to them, you'd think the Clock app gave them blowjobs as soon as they woke up on time every single day.

Yours doesn't? It's what the pogo pins are for.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The only thing I don't like about the Clock App is how counterintuitive the handling of additional clocks is - to remove one you can't do it on the main screen, you have to go back into the list and look up the city in the list to uncheck it. Let my swipe that thing away!
Also, the lockscreen widget should be resized to actually show 5 clocks completely, not slightly cut off the lowest row.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm just pleased to be able to buy online music from one place. I want to avoid amazon and iTunes just isn't an option.
I'm confused as to why someone would prefer to avoid iTunes and Amazon, both of which are far better choices than the Play Store. Even ignoring Google Music's horrible interface, iCloud Match (and I think Amazon has something similar) make having a full library of properly tagged music so easy I can't see a reason anyone would go out of their way to avoid them. Even if I were streaming music from Google's cloud there's still no way I'd actually buy from them until they can scrub my music.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I just selected gmail from the sharing options in the gallery and it took me to the normal compose screen where I can choose which account to send from.

What I'm saying is that I don't want to have to pay attention to that.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
How does Google Now work with the new clock app?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
New clock app is atrocious. Is there a decent replacement with an ICS+ aesthetic?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I'm confused as to why someone would prefer to avoid iTunes and Amazon, both of which are far better choices than the Play Store. Even ignoring Google Music's horrible interface, iCloud Match (and I think Amazon has something similar) make having a full library of properly tagged music so easy I can't see a reason anyone would go out of their way to avoid them. Even if I were streaming music from Google's cloud there's still no way I'd actually buy from them until they can scrub my music.

I hate itunes and I don't like how Apple do business. Amazon is a more a preference, I'd rather use Google so everything is in one place, I don't want music stored across different sites and the convenience of buying it from my phone is a huge pull for me.
I have a 32GB card but stream from my Google account all the time to my laptop which doesn't have any music stored on it.

As for tagging, I couldn't care less about it. The player I use can edit the odd song which is wrong.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

I hate itunes and I don't like how Apple do business. Amazon is a more a preference, I'd rather use Google so everything is in one place, I don't want music stored across different sites and the convenience of buying it from my phone is a huge pull for me.
I have a 32GB card but stream from my Google account all the time to my laptop which doesn't have any music stored on it.

As for tagging, I couldn't care less about it. The player I use can edit the odd song which is wrong.

FYI, Amazon has a music purchasing/playing/streaming app. Amazon also almost always has better prices and selection than Google Music.

I prefer keeping all my music in one place too, though, and prefer Google Music as a service. It's a little extra work, but that means I usually buy on Amazon, download the music on my PC (which is much easier and quicker than doing the same from Google Music), then have it set to auto-upload to Google Music.

While that isn't a perfect solution, it means I can have the better music selection and prices of Amazon and still use Google's preferable player and have everything tied to one account.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

FYI, Amazon has a music purchasing/playing/streaming app.

I thought they might but their android store app is so bad I didn't even consider it an option and assumed their music one was too.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 14, 2012

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Gangnam Style official app is out for the low price of $2

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

I thought they might but their android store app is so bad I didn't even consider it an option and assumed their music one was too.

I'm pretty sure it downloads the MP3s in a regular format accessible by anything. PowerAMP at least picks up on the Albums I save for offline usage, and plays them without a problem.

Adding a +1 for Amazon Music as well; anytime Google has a decent sale I've noticed they matched their prices. Plus they have codes for anywhere from a free song for $1, sometimes $2, to $4 off of albums.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Maybe I'll give them a rethink then. Looking at the site today and they don't look any cheaper though. Yay for inflated UK prices!

Search David Bowie albums on play and they have 11 copies of 1 album at different prices.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I use AmazonMP3 to purchase music and automatically download it, and Play Music to play the music. The Amazon app downloads the files to local storage (in my case I think it's /sdcard/Amazonmp3) as MP3s, so anything will play them. The interface for finding and buying works really well in my opinion.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Why am I tempted?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

spog posted:

Why am I tempted?

Because with a double-tap the elevator doors open and cowboy-hat-elevator-guy is there. (so I've read)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So can you buy from Amazon & upload to Google match?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Cakefool posted:

So can you buy from Amazon & upload to Google match?

If you mean Google Play (formerly known as Google Music), then yeah, you can upload any MP3 into it. Or any unprotected AAC or whatever.

I've bought music from every stupid service and it's all in my google account. (Except for a few oddball things like albums that were never upgraded to iTunes Plus or that Kraftwerk Catalogue which I ripped in a stupid format because I thought it was cool.)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wikipedia Brown posted:

If you mean Google Play (formerly known as Google Music)

Google Play Music :eng101: At least music is actually something you "play," unlike Google Play Books.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wikipedia Brown posted:

If you mean Google Play (formerly known as Google Music), then yeah, you can upload any MP3 into it. Or any unprotected AAC or whatever.
Pretty sure he means this:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3571712/google-music-free-matching-november-13th
but it doesn't seem to be active anywhere yet.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Tunga posted:

Pretty sure he means this:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3571712/google-music-free-matching-november-13th
but it doesn't seem to be active anywhere yet.
If only I could match it to my physical CDs...

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Google Voice finally fixed their awful back button and the inability to get to the inbox from within a message. :dance:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cruseydr posted:

If only I could match it to my physical CDs...
Um, it can, that's the whole point.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Um, it can, that's the whole point.

I think Dr Cruise means some kind of barcode-scanning system or whatever, so you can add CDs without having to rip them first. Unless I'm missing something it just fingerprints the files in your library and checks if it already has a copy on their servers to save you the upload

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Scanning barcodes of cds might be a little too easy to fake. Maybe it could have you put the disc in the drive and identify it the way cddb does?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well someone pointed out you could just walk into a music store and scan away, but yeah I'd way prefer snapping pics of my CD collection over putting them all in my drive one-by-one. But that would still be better than ripping them all, plus it would be pretty much bulletproof identification, so if they can do something like that then awesome

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Haha, "music store."

Matching files is pretty cool at least. Hopefully it doesn't pull an iTunes Match and give everyone clean versions of songs. I have so much clean rap in my apple cloud. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I think Dr Cruise means some kind of barcode-scanning system or whatever, so you can add CDs without having to rip them first. Unless I'm missing something it just fingerprints the files in your library and checks if it already has a copy on their servers to save you the upload
Who hasn't ripped their CDs by now? Hell they're not even putting optical drives in computers anymore so if you haven't yet it might be a good time to start.

I do wonder what Google is going to match with in terms of bitrate. All my physical rips sound like poo poo on my AppleTV because I made them at 192kbps so matching to iCloud to replace those with AAC was looking like my best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

LastInLine posted:

Who hasn't ripped their CDs by now? Hell they're not even putting optical drives in computers anymore so if you haven't yet it might be a good time to start.

I do wonder what Google is going to match with in terms of bitrate. All my physical rips sound like poo poo on my AppleTV because I made them at 192kbps so matching to iCloud to replace those with AAC was looking like my best option.
I missed the boat since my CDs were stolen out of my vehicle back in like 2003 =( I tried to rip stuff before that without much luck (lovely drive probably) and would have had crappy quality 128kbps files left from them if I did.

• Locked thread