Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I streamed a session of the game for my friends, and the frame rate went to pot trying to stream and play simultaneously. I had to turn my mouse sensitivity way down just to make the game playable (because apparently sensitivity determines turn rate per frame instead of per second :psyduck:), and my CPU was consistently 80% and higher. What're the first things I should be turning off in the video options to improve the game's performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Motion blur for sure. And make sure you made the .ini changes listed in the OP. Other than that it's a pretty bog standard UE3 game, have you had trouble streaming those before?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Genetic Toaster posted:

Pretty sure both, considering how many budget games I've seen use it. Though from what I've also seen, it's easy to use but harder to use well. I can only name three studios I've seen use UE3 really well.

Yup.

Scorchy posted:

Motion blur for sure. And make sure you made the .ini changes listed in the OP. Other than that it's a pretty bog standard UE3 game, have you had trouble streaming those before?

This is probably also the reason why when I went to record my demo reel it just destroyed my CPU.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yup.

This is probably also the reason why when I went to record my demo reel it just destroyed my CPU.

EDIT: To the former point, I don't think we used UE3 badly, but there are a lot of things we learned over the course of the project that we simply learned too late. That's on the macro scale of best practices, but also on the micro scale of individual designers (myself included) just not knowing how to do things or to do things properly. It's not just design either, a lot of the bugs in the game come from savegame code that just throws away a ton of data because no one had the time to figure out how to save that data without busting console memory limits. That may not be entirely accurate, I don't know how the save game system works in the shipped game, but it seems to be more or less unchanged since I was there.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Just started my first game of alpha protocol and have ran into a really weird bug. I did the escape from the hospital tutorial and then went to do the espionage training. That went fine but then I tried to do the optional mission the same guy offered me where you have to disable the alarms. The problem is the guards never switch on the alarms for me to disable and instead prefer to just shoot me. However they cannot actually kill me and only reduce me down to 1 health so something is going wrong somewhere. What am I doing wrong?

edit nevermind loading an earlier save and redoing the mission fixed it.

edit2 why can't I aim a bazooka?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 6, 2012

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
I really want to play this, but I have a GeForce 7300 GS, which I'm guessing is about the worst card you can have that is still capable of running this. It's kind of playable, but the frame rate is atrocious, so the timed security minigames aren't really doable, and probably busy combat will be really bad.

I tried the fix in the OP, and that did little or nothing. Anything else I can try? I'm guessing no, but it's worth asking, I guess. Using the Steam version. And no, buying any graphics card at all is not an option.

Project1 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 7, 2012

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I just beat this game for the first time and I think it does live up to the hype. It's practically 'Burn Notice - The Game' and I mean that in a good way. Though I'm not sure I see myself doing any replays. The only choice I really second-guessed myself on was killing Sis when you first fight her on the yacht

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Q_res posted:

Though I'm not sure I see myself doing any replays.

You're missing out on about 50% of the game content then.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Q_res posted:

killing Sis when you first fight her on the yacht

Yeah. I spared Sis in my first playthrough and got her full backstory. There's no way I could kill her in any subsequent playthroughs now. :smith:

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Probably a lot more than that; I've played this game four times and there are still things I've learned in this thread that made me go TFG...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Gyshall posted:

That's probably even a low figure. It's not like Mass Effect where you can be good or bad and maybe see some different stuff. We're talking like even the order you do missions can have wildly different outcomes. I wasn't sure how different a second playthrough would be until I decided to be a dick to Grigori, and Surkov ends up pulling a loving gun on me. That blew my mind right there, and it was simply because I changed the way I acted toward one character.

I've said it a lot, but you haven't really "beat" Alpha Protocol if you just played through it once. Especially because I know for a fact that somebody betrayed Q_res on this playthrough and I bet he doesn't even suspect a thing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Seriously. Play the game again, Q_res. I would say "play the game multiple times over again" but just the second playthrough should be so massively different that it alone will do the job of convincing you to play a 3rd time and so on.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

How do you make Marburg kill Parker?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Two Finger posted:

How do you make Marburg kill Parker?

In AP, tell Parker that you saved his daughter and that Marburg tried to kill her

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

The Joe Man posted:

In AP, tell Parker that you saved his daughter and that Marburg tried to kill her
Or reveal to Marburg that Parker was the one who burned him when he was in Deus Vult.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Do either of those require a high influence?

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
I don't know for sure, but I can't figure the requirement is any higher than 3 or 4 positive rep.

You should be more worried about the intel you need to unlock those scenes, as it's quite tricky to get if you don't know what to do.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nah, I know what to do, I usually just go the smug as gently caress route because the kill is so satisfying. I'll try again, this time trying to stay professional with him.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Ho-ly poo poo. I just beat Alpha Protocol for the first time. This is easily one of, if not THE best game I've played in years.

I did a no kill run (not even the piddling little grunts) and this game has been nothing short of amazing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Blackray Jack posted:

Ho-ly poo poo. I just beat Alpha Protocol for the first time. This is easily one of, if not THE best game I've played in years.

I did a no kill run (not even the piddling little grunts) and this game has been nothing short of amazing.

And to think it gets even better on your next playthrough when you start seeing just how much stuff you missed and how your little tiny differences can spiral out into huge changes down the line.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Also you can be not such a terrorist-lover. :911:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Those orphans could have grown up to become revenge-fueled terrorist spies. He's playing the long game.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
I'm reading the thread now that I've beaten the game, and I must say, all of the bosses weren't TOO tough.

My boss fights and how they went.

Russia: Count me among the many that discovered the sprint button because of this fight. This is also the only boss I used an actual weapon on due to how brief he is on his knees; I just punched his buddies out.

Rome: Shadow operative, knocked his buddies out, they take a long time to respawn and I just knocked Marburg on his rear end with martial arts with the punch-kick endless thing.

Taipei: Why do people say Deng was hard? He was probably the easiest out of all the bosses for me. I literally just chained the punch-kick combo endlessly and then just opened up to full combos when he was nearly depleted. Never once got hit, or shot at, or even discovered by him; hell he didn't even try to block me either.

Darcy, I took out all but one of his guards, and then sniped him with steel core rounds and due to how I was positioned all of his grenades kept bouncing off walls or some such and never landed near me. I also had no ranks in pistol cause I went SMG like a dumb so I just did the zoom in thing.

Yeah basically, there's an early move you can unlock that makes Thorton do a strong spinning kick. There is nearly no delay, holding down the punch button sends Thorton do the combo and you can do another one virtually instantly after, so I just trivialized all the bosses this way.

vvvv EDIT: Haha yeah, but like I said I didn't go for pistols though cause I am dumb. And when I realized how awesome pistols are it was too late to switch my points :(

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 13, 2012

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

How to beat all of those bosses in 4 seconds: chain shot

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Blackray Jack posted:

vvvv EDIT: Haha yeah, but like I said I didn't go for pistols though cause I am dumb. And when I realized how awesome pistols are it was too late to switch my points :(
Don't worry. Really high martial arts is probably the second-easiest way to play, after pistols.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Now since you went with Albatross on your first playthrough for the embassy, next time you have to choose SIE for one of the single best scenes in the game a little later on.

Seriously, it's balls to the wall amazing in contrast to how things went the first time.

EDIT:

Imagine a line graph, where A is Albatross, I is the average person, and S is SIE:

Subtlety:

----A---------I---------------------------------------S---

Mistikman fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

And to think it gets even better on your next playthrough when you start seeing just how much stuff you missed and how your little tiny differences can spiral out into huge changes down the line.

The thing that stunned me is that I chose completely different dialogue choices, and they pretty clearly had responses written for that.
I was expecting ME style where the conversation basically takes the same route no matter what, but holy poo poo.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
If I ever become independently wealthy, I swear i'm just going to fund Obsidian to make a second Alpha Protocol entirely on my own. Hundred million, whatever, if I have the cash i'll loving do it because i'm incredibly irresponsible and it would be amazing.

And because it'll never happen otherwise. :smith:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

klapman posted:

If I ever become independently wealthy, I swear i'm just going to fund Obsidian to make a second Alpha Protocol entirely on my own. Hundred million, whatever, if I have the cash i'll loving do it because i'm incredibly irresponsible and it would be amazing.

And because it'll never happen otherwise. :smith:

Yeah, if I was super rich I'd basically just throw money at Obsidian. I don't think they have ever made a game I didn't like.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Yeah, Obsidian are the only reason I'm really looking forward to the South Park RPG.

The premise sounds fantastic, Matt/Trey are handling the universe/story and Obsidian's handling the actual game stuff.

Also it seriously looks like you're playing the show.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007

Mistikman posted:

Now since you went with Albatross on your first playthrough for the embassy, next time you have to choose SIE for one of the single best scenes in the game a little later on.

Seriously, it's balls to the wall amazing in contrast to how things went the first time.

EDIT:

Imagine a line graph, where A is Albatross, I is the average person, and S is SIE:

Subtlety:

----A---------I---------------------------------------S---

Are you talking about breaking into Brayko's mansion in the APC? Yeah I did that yet in my no kill run I just sat in the APC machine gun until my guy hopped out on his own. :v:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

My absolutely favorite part of that scene was lying to Leland about it afterwards.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Leland is a great character. It's just so satisfying to mock him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I could probably just find out by trying it for myself, but when Leland asks who helped you and you have the option to tell him about G22 or deny that anyone helped you, does anything change based on your response? I've always gone the "gently caress off" route thinking I'll get some long-term benefit from it, and also because telling the bad guys about your friends is not how Michael Thorton rolls, but I'm curious about how that actually affects anything. I might do it next time I play; telling Leland about G22 and getting to tell Marburg that it was Parker who burned him are about the only things I've yet to do in this game.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I don't understand how, in the game where literally everything else changes based on your decisions, Albatross and Michael still act like they know each other (or at least the respective organizations) after the yacht mission in Moscow, even if it's your first time interacting with him.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

mastajake posted:

I don't understand how, in the game where literally everything else changes based on your decisions, Albatross and Michael still act like they know each other (or at least the respective organizations) after the yacht mission in Moscow, even if it's your first time interacting with him.

You sure it's your first time? Did you do the Taipei warehouse? Because I just did a run through where my first interaction with him was after the yacht, and when the screen goes static, Michael says "who the hell are you?" or something like that. They didn't know each other.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

mastajake posted:

Taipei's warehouse mission has the same problem. Michael just immediatly goes "Oh hey, it's G22 again!"
It kinda feels like the first real introduction to the organisation G22 is missing.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Raygereio posted:

Taipei's warehouse mission has the same problem. Michael just immediatly goes "Oh hey, it's G22 again!"
It kinda feels like the first real introduction to the organisation G22 is missing.

I don't think that's right, if you haven't been to Moscow, Mike drops into the warehouse going, "Who the hell are these guys?"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

2house2fly posted:

I could probably just find out by trying it for myself, but when Leland asks who helped you and you have the option to tell him about G22 or deny that anyone helped you, does anything change based on your response? I've always gone the "gently caress off" route thinking I'll get some long-term benefit from it, and also because telling the bad guys about your friends is not how Michael Thorton rolls, but I'm curious about how that actually affects anything. I might do it next time I play; telling Leland about G22 and getting to tell Marburg that it was Parker who burned him are about the only things I've yet to do in this game.

From my experience it changes how smug Leland is later on. If you don't tell him anything about G22 he gets increasingly confident about his victory over you because all your allies are accounted for, only to flip his poo poo when G22 attack later. If you're upfront then you'll gain reputation with him and though he won't freak out, it's easier to join up with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Scorchy posted:

I don't think that's right, if you haven't been to Moscow, Mike drops into the warehouse going, "Who the hell are these guys?"
Maybe if you just visisted Moscow - talked to Grigori, and then hopped on the plane to Taipei the game just asumes you've met G22?

That or I'm remembering it wrong. Also a good possibility.

• Locked thread