Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Who hasn't ripped their CDs by now? Hell they're not even putting optical drives in computers anymore so if you haven't yet it might be a good time to start.

It's me, I'm the guy. It's mainly stuff I don't listen to much, but I don't really have the time or inclination to sit through the process, so if there was an easy way of getting them magically computerfied I'd be pretty happy. Plus some of the stuff I *did* rip was in the format of the future, OGG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cruseydr posted:

I missed the boat since my CDs were stolen out of my vehicle back in like 2003 =( I tried to rip stuff before that without much luck (lovely drive probably) and would have had crappy quality 128kbps files left from them if I did.
Which is exactly why cloud matching is such a big deal, because all those lovely 128kbps MP3s are now replaced with whatever the cloud service provides.

baka kaba posted:

It's me, I'm the guy. It's mainly stuff I don't listen to much, but I don't really have the time or inclination to sit through the process, so if there was an easy way of getting them magically computerfied I'd be pretty happy. Plus some of the stuff I *did* rip was in the format of the future, OGG
How hard is it? Put the CD in, iTunes automatically does literally everything, CD pops out, insert next CD? Of course the even easier way was :filez: which is what everybody did and why most people's metadata is poo poo which leads to even worse ideas like having your music player read from a folder structure.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

LastInLine posted:

even worse ideas like having your music player read from a folder structure.

Hey, I do this. :saddowns:

Seriously though, I like to browse my music by artist rather than by album and I've yet to come across a decent media player which uses the goddamn album artist rather than the track artist, which makes this utterly unworkable any other way. So, for now, I keep my music in folders of "<artist> - <album>" format. All the metadata is still correct for the day when this gets fixed.

PowerAmp keeps promising it for v3 though, so there's hope yet.

I can't say I've come across that but then so far as I know PowerAmp uses its own media library separate from Android's.
VVV

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 14, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

Seriously though, I like to browse my music by artist rather than by album and I've yet to come across a decent media player which uses the goddamn album artist rather than the track artist, which makes this utterly unworkable any other way. So, for now, I keep my music in folders of "<artist> - <album>" format. All the metadata is still correct for the day when this gets fixed.

PowerAmp keeps promising it for v3 though, so there's hope yet.
I believe iTunes does this properly but as far as I know they're the only ones. I find it infuriating that despite having completely accurate metadata that Android sometimes just decides that it isn't. One album becomes two, some album art isn't there, sometime whole tracks disappear. All at random too.

I guess it's more a chicken and egg problem in that there's a lot of bad metadata so let's make a player that ignores metadata which means there's no incentive to correct the metadata which leads to a lot of bad metadata.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

How hard is it? Put the CD in, iTunes automatically does literally everything, CD pops out, insert next CD? Of course the even easier way was :filez: which is what everybody did and why most people's metadata is poo poo which leads to even worse ideas like having your music player read from a folder structure.

Well I just ripped a CD and it took 10 minutes, so it means sitting there, swapping each of 100 or however many CDs I haven't ripped over the span of many hours, even longer if I'm not hanging around ready to swap discs the moment they're done. It's just a bit of a project I've not been motivated to take on

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Well I just ripped a CD and it took 10 minutes, so it means sitting there, swapping each of 100 or however many CDs I haven't ripped over the span of many hours, even longer if I'm not hanging around ready to swap discs the moment they're done. It's just a bit of a project I've not been motivated to take on
Oh no doubt it sucks. But you only have to do it once and then it's just upkeep and it's not like you're buying CDs that much anymore. I assumed that's something everyone did that one time back in the early 2000s after they got their first iPod, I think I just did it one weekend while watching TV. Of course that's because download speeds were slow and searching for high quality pirated files were a pain, I'd assume now it just makes sense to reacquire the music legally or not just to avoid the hassle.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
Here's a semi related question, sorry if its too off topic.

I have an HTC thunderbolt, and when I bluetooth my phone to my car stereo, the quality is kinda bad. It sound kinda balances between am and fm radio quality. The music is coming directly from winamp, but Ive tried others like pandora and audiogalaxy and the output quality is the same. Is this just how bluetooth is?

Anyways, speaking of apps, is there any other app that works just like audiogalaxy?
Its a really good program, but I don't like the fact that I have to constantly make playlist, and it just does'nt play the next track automatically. not to mention there's no compilation option to group multiple artists on an album.
Thanks in advance guys.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Here's a semi related question, sorry if its too off topic.

I have an HTC thunderbolt, and when I bluetooth my phone to my car stereo, the quality is kinda bad. It sound kinda balances between am and fm radio quality. The music is coming directly from winamp, but Ive tried others like pandora and audiogalaxy and the output quality is the same. Is this just how bluetooth is?

Anyways, speaking of apps, is there any other app that works just like audiogalaxy?
Its a really good program, but I don't like the fact that I have to constantly make playlist, and it just does'nt play the next track automatically. not to mention there's no compilation option to group multiple artists on an album.
Thanks in advance guys.

Whatever HTC uses for BT loving blows. My Sensation was god drat terrible. It cleared up quite a bit when I went to CM though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Whatever HTC uses for BT loving blows. My Sensation was god drat terrible. It cleared up quite a bit when I went to CM though.
HTC uses a proprietary Bluetooth stack. Remember how the Desire had FM radio on stock but the Nexus One didn't? That was because it was in HTC's Bluetooth stack which has always been horrible.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Double post

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Just rip whilst you play the next time you play any CD that hasn't been ripped already. You'll chip away at it over time without any bother.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012
Question to the phone goons.

Is there a simple (or even semi simple) way to import google play apps onto a Kindle Fire? I did a basic google search and got the impression that amazon locked them down and the only solution is to delve way deep into the ap or kindle os.

Assuming this has likely come up in the past from the phone-illiterate, a reference back to about where in the 240+ pages would be very appreciated

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
I have mine id3 tagged as well as put them into an intricate folder structure, mostly because I'm :spergin:. That way I can find individual files if I have to mix something, or put a song in a video or some such thing, and have everything nice, neat, and organized. And long ago, I found that someone else painstakingly ripped a CD that I already owned, so I took tho that medium for a good long while. Now I just don't buy new music. Because it's all terrible :negative:

Sgt Froggy posted:

Is there a simple (or even semi simple) way to import google play apps onto a Kindle Fire?

The only way to get them on there is to root your Kindle, and then put a CFW on there, or side-load the App Store through ADB. There are several resources available for doing this, and they aren't incredibly difficult, but if it's your first time messing with rooting an Android device, it can be quite tedious.

Here's a Start - For best results type in your specific firmware version.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 15, 2012

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Fair warning for other folks, though I'm not sure how common this combination is. I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus running Cyanogen (randomly updated, usually once per week or so) with Untappd. When I take a photo to upload with my beer check in, SOMETHING in the Untappd and Camera interface creates a zero byte image file. Not really a huge problem, since I don't care about the image, but the Android Media Server app gets stuck on these and quickly destroys my battery. The phone also gets noticeably hot.

If I delete the file and reboot, the problem doesn't come back, and if I don't take a photo using the app, the problem never starts.

Good times.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently had to factory reset my Verizon GNex, and now have CM 10.0 on it. I just got the updated Google Voice app, but I can't remember what I had to do to make it work as my voice mail provider. The voice mail setting in the device menu just tell see you carrier isn't compatible.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

hooah posted:

I recently had to factory reset my Verizon GNex, and now have CM 10.0 on it. I just got the updated Google Voice app, but I can't remember what I had to do to make it work as my voice mail provider. The voice mail setting in the device menu just tell see you carrier isn't compatible.

It's in your phone settings.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
A big thing with my generation in Australia is MSN Messenger(Windows Live) Group Chats, are there any 3rd party clients that do these well?

I would love an app that integrates the preset group chats from the MSN Messenger client + facebook chat.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GateheaD posted:

A big thing with my generation in Australia is MSN Messenger(Windows Live) Group Chats, are there any 3rd party clients that do these well?

I would love an app that integrates the preset group chats from the MSN Messenger client + facebook chat.

MSN/Windows Live Messenger is being discontinued in favor of Skype:

"On November 6, 2012, Microsoft announced that Windows Live Messenger will be retired in favor of Skype worldwide except mainland China. Users using Windows Live Messenger are able to merge their Microsoft account with their Skype account, allowing them to communicate with their Messenger contacts via the Skype clients. Users will have until the first quarter of 2013 to make the transition."

You might want to do that and get your friends to do it to. Then you can simply use the Skype app apparently:
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA...rstPage=false#4

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
I don't think skype even does group messaging, I know if I receive a group message when signed into skype it just comes up as a 1 on 1 chat with the person who typed it.
I guess we'll move to IRC or something, which will be a problem for the low-techs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

GateheaD posted:

I don't think skype even does group messaging, I know if I receive a group message when signed into skype it just comes up as a 1 on 1 chat with the person who typed it.
I guess we'll move to IRC or something, which will be a problem for the low-techs.

Facebook Messenger and whatever they're calling the messaging part of Google Plus are much better alternatives.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hs.ime.aosp

Someone ported the 4.2 keyboard to 4.1.

I'm using it to type this post and this is kind of addicting...

I know I could just use Swype, but this is nicer for me. I think I'll definitely use this when I get the Nexus 4.

Good to know that others can use it too. I think it can pull from gmail on its own.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

GateheaD posted:

Skype does group messaging just fine. Not sure why you're having issues, but I've used it (not very succesfully) even in 8 person chats before.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

LastInLine posted:

which leads to even worse ideas like having your music player read from a folder structure.

How exactly am I supposed to organize it? Why does it not make sense to organize by folder structure? I think letting a program handle it all for me is a terrible idea. And yes I have a decent sized collection.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

rolleyes posted:

Not an Android app (though you can use it as a music server and listen through BubbleUPNP), but foobar2000 does this. You can set your library up however you please, even down to if statements and boolean logic. I have mine set up as Artist (except for everything tagged Various or Soundtrack or in the Various folder - these go to the end by Album Title) then Albums by Year. It baffles my mind that most (all?) media players sort albums by year by default.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

How exactly am I supposed to organize it? Why does it not make sense to organize by folder structure? I think letting a program handle it all for me is a terrible idea. And yes I have a decent sized collection.

I think what he's getting at is that you should have proper ID3 tags on all your music files, so that they can be read universally by different programs. Having a structured folder system is great, but it's no substitute for correct metadata on all your music.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bvoid posted:

I think what he's getting at is that you should have proper ID3 tags on all your music files, so that they can be read universally by different programs. Having a structured folder system is great, but it's no substitute for correct metadata on all your music.
Exactly. Proper metadata means you can treat your music like a database with the ability to search by attribute and construct playlists based on that. There's nothing wrong with organized music, there's something wrong if the player uses that organization to do its job.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Exactly. Proper metadata means you can treat your music like a database with the ability to search by attribute and construct playlists based on that. There's nothing wrong with organized music, there's something wrong if the player uses that organization to do its job.

I'm still glad that PowerAmp has the folder view because if it didn't I'd have no way to browse my music in the way I want to - this way I can use the folder structure to compensate for the library not being capable of what I need. As I said earlier, my metadata is correct as well and I'm crossing my fingers that view by album artist will make it into PowerAmp 3.

Where I would agree with you is that if a music player only works by browsing folders then yeah, that's not great.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

I'm still glad that PowerAmp has the folder view because if it didn't I'd have no way to browse my music in the way I want to - this way I can use the folder structure to compensate for the library not being capable of what I need. As I said earlier, my metadata is correct as well and I'm crossing my fingers that view by album artist will make it into PowerAmp 3.

Where I would agree with you is that if a music player only works by browsing folders then yeah, that's not great.
Well really it shouldn't do it at all, it should just be able to support all of the tags in the latest ID3 version which (I think) does contain the Album Artist field but like I was trying to say earlier that's perfect world poo poo which doesn't seem like it's going to get fixed any time soon.

The positive in this is since iCloud it's not like iOS music playback doesn't have its frustrations too so yay none of us win.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So what's everyone's preferred solution for checking/fixing metadata before I upload my Enya DEATH METAL collection?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cakefool posted:

So what's everyone's preferred solution for checking/fixing metadata before I upload my Enya DEATH METAL collection?
Well now there's the rub. I have perfect metadata according to everything I can check. iTunes shows everything and I manually attach all album art. Uploads to Google Play Music show perfect metadata and yet manually moving tracks to the phone have some fail. Checking with an app shows the metadata but the various music apps fail to pick it up, probably due to most relying on the Android media scanner. Even "fixing" the metadata in on-device apps and restarting the media scanner (or even the entire device) seldom fixes it in the music apps.

The problem is that Android's media scanner is garbage. That's why I'm *hoping* a Google Play Music matching service will fix the issues but let's not get crazy.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I use mp3tag on my desktop to make sure everything is good before uploading to Google Music. Even then some albums are all hosed up on the play site.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Cakefool posted:

I use the free version of MediaMonkey on my PC partly out of apathy and partly because it can auto-tag albums by looking them up on Amazon and other music stores. The auto-tag can be a bit hit and miss and generally requires a little manual clean-up afterwards, but it gets the basics done and can embed the album art into each track for you.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

rolleyes posted:

I use the free version of MediaMonkey on my PC partly out of apathy and partly because it can auto-tag albums by looking them up on Amazon and other music stores. The auto-tag can be a bit hit and miss and generally requires a little manual clean-up afterwards, but it gets the basics done and can embed the album art into each track for you.

Yeah it can also read/write folder and file names to/from various tag fields so if you're one of those folder organized Luddites you can still properly tag your files!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

I believe iTunes does this properly but as far as I know they're the only ones. I find it infuriating that despite having completely accurate metadata that Android sometimes just decides that it isn't. One album becomes two, some album art isn't there, sometime whole tracks disappear. All at random too.

I guess it's more a chicken and egg problem in that there's a lot of bad metadata so let's make a player that ignores metadata which means there's no incentive to correct the metadata which leads to a lot of bad metadata.

No, iTunes doesn't use the Album Artist tag properly either. If you try to sort by Album Artist it turns into Album by Artist and everything ends up ordered by the artist tag on the song anyway, but chunked into separate albums (So, for example, a typical hip-hop album becomes 3 different albums because of varying guest producers and vocalists).

Additionally, the iPod doesn't support the Album Artist tag either. It's not even present in the menu. My workaround has been to duplicate the Album Artist tag in the Composer tag (which I don't care about because the composer is almost always either just the artist's given name, or some studio guy I don't give two fucks about) when I tag my music, but I haven't found a player on Android that'll use that tag either :(

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Gyshall posted:

I use mp3tag on my desktop to make sure everything is good before uploading to Google Music. Even then some albums are all hosed up on the play site.

I'm with this guy. When I fix tags in windows, its mp3tag. If you do linux, easytag works very well. Like LastInLine, I do sometimes have ghost tags that I cannot find with either app, but show up on the phone :(. Most my music comes from either amazon or bandcamp and the tags rarely seem to be how I want them, so I have a habit of retagging/renaming everything before I even move it to my main music folder. At one time I was huge into BMG, converting roughly 300 cds took me probably 2 years and now I've got some sweet 128k rips.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

In summary, the answer to the question "how hard can it be to support common ID3 tags" seems to be "harder than you might think".

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
One trick I've found is stripping the album of ALL tags in MP3tag and then adding them fresh. MP3tag can show you the differences between individual MP3s pretty easily as is.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is there a news widget similar to Simple Calenders that I can use to take up a full screen in nova launcher and be all pretty like?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking for a good RSS reader app as well as a good podcast app? I've seen Good News and Pocket Casts recommended, are those the way to go or are there others I should be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I'm looking for a good RSS reader app as well as a good podcast app? I've seen Good News and Pocket Casts recommended, are those the way to go or are there others I should be looking at?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm currently using Reeder and Downcast on the iPhone, and I like them so much that I'm ready for disappointment with Android.

• Locked thread