Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Boten Anna posted:

You have to pay for like 3-4 people who make less than $10 an hour to show up to clear thousands of dollars of inventory. It's really not that bad of a deal.

Except when you realize that those same people would be there at 10am the next day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

My last few posts have surprisingly not been cynical so here's a translation of NOJ's Wii U FAQ where Nintendo says No a bunch of times:

NeoGAF posted:

Is there system-wide, cross-game voice chat?

No. At this point, voice chat may be implemented on a per-title basis.

Is there a system-wide accomplishments system?

No. Developers may choose to include game-specific accomplishments for in-game display, and/or integration with Miiverse as in NSMBU.

Does the Wii U play DVDs or Blu-ray Discs?

No.

Can a Wii U purchased in (X) play software from abroad, and vice-versa?

No. A Wii U system purchased in one region can only play games for that market.

Can downloadable software stored on an external USB storage device be played on another Wii U system?

No. A given external USB storage device can be used with one Wii U system.

Can Wii Points on the Wii Shopping Channel or the remaining balance on the 3DS Nintendo eShop be used to make purchases?

No. Wii Points are only for the Wii Shopping Channel, and the remaining balance on the 3DS can be used only on the 3DS Nintendo eShop.

There's also stuff they don't say no to but that's not as fun to talk about, you can read that boring 'yes' poo poo here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499370

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

There are a shitload of dumb questions in there. "Can Wii U software be played on the Wii?"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

There are a shitload of dumb questions in there. "Can Wii U software be played on the Wii?"
Dumb to us but not to consumers who think the Wii U is an accessory for the original Wii. They need to be bludgeoned over the head with this information.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Sorry if this question has been asked/answered, but do we know when the systems will actually ship?

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
I've heard that some Targets have already gotten Wii U shipments. I've never ordered a major release like this online before, but from what I understand, shipments directly to customers don't happen until Sunday.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The Wii U has to be one of the most confusing hardware launches I've ever seen... It's making me kind of miss the days where you put the cartridge in the system and it just worked, you know?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Apparently, Gamestop WILL be doing a midnight release of the Wii U. At least the one in my town is, as they just found out. I hope so.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Waffleopolis posted:

Apparently, Gamestop WILL be doing a midnight release of the Wii U. At least the one in my town is, as they just found out. I hope so.

I think the deal is most aren't, but a few are. I wish the Gamestop site would list them, or if they do, list them somewhere I can find it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Boten Anna posted:

I think the deal is most aren't, but a few are. I wish the Gamestop site would list them, or if they do, list them somewhere I can find it.

For some bizarre reason, EB Games has a list of early openings/midnight launches but apparently only sent said list to people subscribed to their weekly internet deal stuff. On the actual website, I can't find anything about it but by going to any of the e-mails they've sent me recently I got their list of Canadian participant stores in mere moments (which also apparently deleted midnight launches entirely since last I looked). I would figure the American GameStop branch would do so too.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Astro7x posted:

The Wii U has to be one of the most confusing hardware launches I've ever seen... It's making me kind of miss the days where you put the cartridge in the system and it just worked, you know?

Except when it didn't, you know?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
What's the fascination with a midnight Wii U launch anyway? It has a solid launch library as far as these things go, but nothing there really screams "Oh God, can't wait gotta play it NOW."

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Those of you buying hard drives should know a few points first:

• While Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is 16.7 GB, New Super Mario Bros. U is only 2 GB in size and Nintendo Land only 3.2 GB.
  • After formatting, the cheapest Wii U will have 7.2GB of its 8GB capacity (or 29GB for the 32GB model) but the console requires 4.2GB itself.
  • USB drives are not hot-swappable.

http://www.slashgear.com/nintendo-details-wii-u-storage-limits-and-no-wii-gamepad-screen-play-14257022/

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Almost Smart posted:

What's the fascination with a midnight Wii U launch anyway? It has a solid launch library as far as these things go, but nothing there really screams "Oh God, can't wait gotta play it NOW."

Well that is really a matter of personal opinion I think you will find.

For me midnight launches have also been a chance to have a laugh, meet some like minded people and share in an experience for a while.

The wii launch I went to at midnight was great, took four friends we got drunk, got all nostalgic and bought Wii's. Fun was had.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Think I might cancel my 8gb Wii U preorder and wait for the black one. Still not completely sure but seems like it might be worth it. I'm on a waiting list at gamestop so I'll definitely get it in the next month or 2, i'm like number 8 on the list. Arg I don't know someone decide for me.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Almost Smart posted:

There's no such thing as "gotta play it now" because most people would normally be asleep within a few hours of midnight anyway. People want a midnight launch because they enjoy nerding out with other mutually interested dudes.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

AngryCaterpillar posted:

While Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is 16.7 GB, New Super Mario Bros. U is only 2 GB in size and Nintendo Land only 3.2 GB.

Jesus, Mario's pretty small. I know it's not exactly graphically intensive or overly complex or anything, but that's still surprisingly small.

And when all's said and done, the Basic Wii U only really has 3GB of storage? That's pretty poo poo for people who don't really know about external hard-drives, I foresee a lot of parents getting really confused about this.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I actually normally stay up till like 6-7am since I work the late evening shift so I care about a midnight launch because I can just grab it on my way home from work and play it all night. I realize this is probably only applicable to me though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Introvert posted:

Jesus, Mario's pretty small. I know it's not exactly graphically intensive or overly complex or anything, but that's still surprisingly small.

And when all's said and done, the Basic Wii U only really has 3GB of storage? That's pretty poo poo for people who don't really know about external hard-drives, I foresee a lot of parents getting really confused about this.

It's not that surprising. NSMBWii was only about 320MB in file size.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

absolutely anything posted:

I actually normally stay up till like 6-7am since I work the late evening shift so I care about a midnight launch because I can just grab it on my way home from work and play it all night. I realize this is probably only applicable to me though.

I took leave for the friday (Launch date here in Aus) I will have booze and a Wii U. For me and I could be wrong but by the time the next nintendo console launches I might be a bit old to be attending midnight launches and taking time off work so I am going to enjoy this while I can I think.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TaurusOxford posted:

It's not that surprising. NSMBWii was only about 320MB in file size.

And NSMB2 is about the same. I think it's ~8 blocks to 1 MB, putting it at about ~250 MB. Honestly, I'm surprised NSMBU is as big as it is.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Almost Smart posted:

It's a new generation of hardware and that's enough.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
They're very simple games. No voice tracks, very simple music, basic textures etc etc. It's kind of maddening actually that they didn't come out with a new style of Mario for the Wii U. And that seems to be a criticism by several if some of the previews and the Giant Bombcast is any indication.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Disappointing Pie posted:

They're very simple games. No voice tracks, very simple music, basic textures etc etc. It's kind of maddening actually that they didn't come out with a new style of Mario for the Wii U. And that seems to be a criticism by several if some of the previews and the Giant Bombcast is any indication.

Yeah, maddening. It's not like the original sold or anything.

When it's all said and done I'll be shocked if it doesn't break 10M.

Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

I'd imagine a bit of that is optimizing; nintendo knows its console better than others. If I recall correctly didn't Skyrim have crazy optimization?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There's no such thing as "gotta play it now" because most people would normally be asleep within a few hours of midnight anyway.

For the midnight Wii launch I took it to a friends house and played Rabbids and Boxing, then went home and played Trauma Center and Zelda until I had to work the next day. You could imagine how fun the work day was for me.

...Never again

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Disappointing Pie posted:

I don't think NSMB, which is tacitly the zero creativity zone for Mario games, is mutually exclusive with other new Mario games. Some other team, like some guys who worked on Galaxy 1/2 or 3D Land, is probably working on a new one that takes things in another direction. I hope that's what's happening and I'm very excited to see what they do.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

My Gamestop doesn't even know if they'll bother opening early, so they told me to call on Saturday. It's a little disappointing, since they even had a midnight launch for the Vita, but it won't kill me to wait a few extra hours and get it Sunday morning. I've never done a midnight launch or preordered a console before and it's just a silly little nerdy thing that I wanted to do at least once in my life, but it's not a big deal.

Plus I have all of next week off, so I get all that time to play with my new toy anyway.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I don't think NSMB, which is tacitly the zero creativity zone for Mario games, is mutually exclusive with other new Mario games. Some other team, like some guys who worked on Galaxy 1/2 or 3D Land, is probably working on a new one that takes things in another direction. I hope that's what's happening and I'm very excited to see what they do.

I love that NSMB: U has a coin editor, but not a level editor. Like Nintendo was just going "Almost but not quite! gently caress you!"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I love that NSMB: U has a coin editor, but not a level editor. Like Nintendo was just going "Almost but not quite! gently caress you!"

You can edit how the coins look? I can have my Hitler Mii running around gathering up penises?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

You can edit how the coins look? I can have my Hitler Mii running around gathering up penises?

No, you can edit where the coins are though. Which is dumb as hell.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The appeal of a midnight launch is that they are fun StreetPass/Mario Kart parties and also it's a known quantity. I'd much rather stay up late and have a fun party and know I'm getting a system then spend a week or two memorizing the shipment times of every store in the area until I luck out.

I have a 9-5 kind of job, it's much easier to stay up late in the middle of the weekend than try to get anywhere during the week.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Both of my brothers want to get in on that whole midnight release thing, so I might have to tag along as well, even though I was just going to wait it out until stores can sell the drat thing to me like normal. Best case scenario, we each walk out with a Wii U, worst case we get drunk and play Mario Party later.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yeah, maddening. It's not like the original sold or anything.

When it's all said and done I'll be shocked if it doesn't break 10M.

It probably will not right away. Unless millions of people up and buy games for a system they aren't going to have for weeks/months. If the supply for the console is as limited as retailers are making it out to be.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

No, you can edit where the coins are though. Which is dumb as hell.

I guess if there wasn't coin battle mode it would be dumb but seeing as there's an entire multiplayer mode dedicated to going through a level and getting the most coins I can see it adding a bunch of replay value if you have a group of friends who are into it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I guess if there wasn't coin battle mode it would be dumb but seeing as there's an entire multiplayer mode dedicated to going through a level and getting the most coins I can see it adding a bunch of replay value if you have a group of friends who are into it.

And can be at your house all the time, since there's no online.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Jesus christ, give this poo poo a rest.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

And can be at your house all the time, since there's no online.

Oh no, real friends, my one weakness

Seriously though, just because it doesn't meet your exact specifications doesn't mean it's dumb. It seems like every time I come in this thread you're flipping out about some little thing and threatening to cancel your pre-order because "that's not the way I want it!! :qq:" The U in the system name doesn't actually mean it was designed specifically for you! Different people use different things in different ways! Just because you apparently will never play video games with a real live person doesn't mean nobody else will either!

I mean I'm not saying you can't complain. I'm not saying there's nothing to complain about, there definitely is, but holy poo poo you take it to a whole other level. Basically:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Jesus christ, give this poo poo a rest.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hey with a Midnight launch you're basically guaranteed to get a ton of streetpasses if you have a 3DS!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Just because you apparently will never play video games with a real live person doesn't mean nobody else will either!

Or maybe he just doesn't live somewhere where his friends are close enough to make a trip worth it? or maybe his relatives don't play videogames? Maybe online gaming is the only way for him to be able to play games with anyone?

• Locked thread