Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

He always looks like he just woke up. Look at that bed head.

(alternate answer: because of the lack of fruit he only likes that cake a regular amount)

FireCar fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Shlapintogan posted:

I see what looks like oranges, pears, cherries, and pineapple. That thing is more fruit than cake. :v:

Not cherries, currants. And I'd love a nice fruit tart over generic Costco sheet cake any day. Except if there's ice cream to go along with the sheet cake.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

PaRappa the Rapper.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

As someone who loving LOVES PaRappa, I have absolutely no idea how they're going to make an hour long show out of it. Well, an entertaining one at least.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Mister Chief posted:

All Gascoin employees are given fruit cakes.
Abe seems too manly for cake. I bet they give him a 12 pack of really good beer and watch him ride off into the sunset. :c00l:

I don't normally like to watch the raw episodes due to me being spoiled by the translations, but I might have to watch that once it gets uploaded to YouTube just because I have a feeling it will be an amazing episode.

Edit: I really can't wait to see the Challenge bumper with Arino's face on PaRappa.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
That's... unexpected but YES. As a rhythm game enthusiast I never imagined they'd challenge one on this show.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

No way. :aaaaa:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Parappa occured to me but I figured that there was no freekin way it would happen.

I guess I just had to believe

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

PaRappa was in English in Japan, right? There's bound to be oodles of comedy potential out of Arino attempting to make sense of the plot, songs, characters - hell, the entire game.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Do not even ask posted:

PaRappa was in English in Japan, right? There's bound to be oodles of comedy potential out of Arino attempting to make sense of the plot, songs, characters - hell, the entire game.

All the audio's in English but everything is subtitled in Japanese. It's like the reverse of us watching him!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hahaha, holy poo poo. That's either going to be terrible or amazing. It's a ridiculously short game though. Even Arino should be able to blow through it easily.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 15, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

No you, see, they're actually going to have to make Arino mimic the moves.

While Inoko plays.

And the entire gang raps along.

Yeah, you gotta believe!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo. That's either going to be terrible of amazing. It's a ridiculously short game though. Even Arino should be able to blow through it easily.

Upon finishing the Parappa the Rapper challenge, Arino stands up and says 'Uuwah! Now I can actually eat dinner with my family!' Kibe's muffled non-microphoned voice is heard,"Arino kacho." Kibe shuffles into frame and reveals "Actually, I just so happen to carry this game in my pocket wherever I go."

"Um Jammer Lammy Challenge START" shouts Kan, as a single tear streams down Arino's cheek.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Don't underestimate how much of a bitch the (already tight) button timing is gonna be on an LCD monitor. I was barely able to beat Um Jammer Lammy on PS3 with a modern TV.

Gutcruncher posted:

"Um Jammer Lammy Challenge START" shouts Kan, as a single tear streams down Arino's cheek.

Followed by him beating Lammy's story, only for the Parappa mode to unlock and having to beat that too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If you're going to make up a story at least make it believable.

:stare:

There's something big about this one too. It's the first game the show has done by Sony. Smart Ball was published by Sony Music but it was developed outside of the company so the rights may not have gone through them.

This opens up anything by Sony Computer Entertainment for the PS1...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I really hope the show starts doing more N64/Saturn/PS1 games now.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

cronox2 posted:

Don't underestimate how much of a bitch the (already tight) button timing is gonna be on an LCD monitor. I was barely able to beat Um Jammer Lammy on PS3 with a modern TV.

Yeah, but there's at least some advantage by playing on a real PS1.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

cronox2 posted:

Followed by him beating Lammy's story, only for the Parappa mode to unlock and having to beat that too.

Yeah, Um Jammer Lammy is almost impossible on a PS3/modern TV.

I also tried Parappa on a PSP (so semi-native screen I guess?) and still got my rear end kicked by the third song in on normal.

I really wonder if this is going to be a 'challenge' at all or if they'll do some kind of themed episode.

If it is a legit challenge, well... this could either become the best or the worst episode.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Upon finishing the Parappa the Rapper challenge, Arino stands up and says 'Uuwah! Now I can actually eat dinner with my family!' Kibe's muffled non-microphoned voice is heard,"Arino kacho." Kibe shuffles into frame and reveals "Actually, I just so happen to carry this game in my pocket wherever I go."

cronox2 posted:

This is really the only way they're going to be able to have enough content worth showing, I think. That game (both games, really) is short as hell and there's not really a whole lot of variation so it's not like they're going to be able to show a lot of failure montages. I really truly don't get how this is going to work if it's just him playing through PaRappa 1.

Either that or the whole episode is just a musical or something.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

That's unexpected, but great! Here's a game I'd never expect them to do on the show, but I'm sure they'll have a lot of fun with it!

As for the LCD monitor thing, they've been playing games on that flat screen for ages. Old games all required some pretty precise timing, so if his deaths over the years haven't been due to an input delay so far, he won't have trouble with this one now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bah, that's not Gitaroo Man at all! :mad:

... maybe he'll play Parappa AND Um Jammer Lammy AND Gitaroo Man :aaaaa:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
i have never finished the first stage of parappa... or the stage that was in the demo. Either of them, if they're different.

Granted, I have gotten a lot better at rhythm games in the intervening 16 years, but dealing with them for the first time wasn't exactly easy for me, for whatever reason. There's no reason to assume that it'll be easy for Arino either.

...I wonder if I could beat that game now... I was able to beat the rhythm mini game mission in San Andreas the other day, in spite of never being able to when it first came out, so...

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
PaRappa the Rapper should make great milestone episode for #150. Can someone read the FujiTV GCCX website and see if they are doing anything special for the 150th milestone episode.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
:stare: Holy crud. Long story short, today I received some documents from Gascoin that were printed on the back of two sheets of scrap paper. I just realized one of the scrap papers is part of the narration script from ep 150 (Parappa). But the other one is more interesting: an info sheet on a game candidate for episode 151. For obvious reason I'm not revealing anything else but dang, I feel like I got my hands on some forbidden info. I really hope they decide(d) to use this game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

i have never finished the first stage of parappa... or the stage that was in the demo. Either of them, if they're different.

Granted, I have gotten a lot better at rhythm games in the intervening 16 years, but dealing with them for the first time wasn't exactly easy for me, for whatever reason. There's no reason to assume that it'll be easy for Arino either.

Same here. I think that the concept of the game was really poorly communicated so you both had to understand it and then perform it.

I just ordered the PSP remake of Parappa since it was only $4. Maybe this time I'll beat that first stage.

Edit: I'm kind of curious what they put on their info sheets for location scouting since it'll give some insight into the game selection process but I'm not going to push for details.

It is an awesome game they're considering for 151, right?

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 15, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

^^^ Whoa, you are so deep in with these people now that you know their secrets.

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

Oh man, everyone looks so happy with those cakes. Even grumpy old Kan.

Kan isn't grumpy, it's just a jokey show persona! Seriously, go look at his Twitter avatar. Look at it.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

zari-gani posted:

:stare: Holy crud. Long story short, today I received some documents from Gascoin that were printed on the back of two sheets of scrap paper. I just realized one of the scrap papers is part of the narration script from ep 150 (Parappa). But the other one is more interesting: an info sheet on a game candidate for episode 151. For obvious reason I'm not revealing anything else but dang, I feel like I got my hands on some forbidden info. I really hope they decide(d) to use this game.
Does this mean you're gonna be doing an official translation of PaRappa and whatever episode 151 will be? :)

VVV I remember PaRappa being pretty tough, especially the second to last level (where you're in line to use the bathroom IIRC). I have a good feeling this will go a full 13 hours. :)

Obeast fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 15, 2012

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

If PaRappa is as short as you all say, they may be planning something big for the 150th episode and they needed a short challenge to accomodate. They might be doing a Far West travelogue, find the furthest west arcade in Japan.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

That still wouldnt be long enough, what with Japan being like 4 miles wide and all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

If PaRappa is as short as you all say, they may be planning something big for the 150th episode and they needed a short challenge to accomodate. They might be doing a Far West travelogue, find the furthest west arcade in Japan.

Sorry, the arcade trip for 150 looks to be about a mile from the Fuji TV building and 2 miles from their office.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

It's gonna be a super special episode where they do a surprise Hawaii trip in which Arino forsakes Kalakaua Boulevard's tourist trap strip and somehow wanders into a sketchy head shop.

They'll put this song over it.

"Uwa! This is the best gift for the viewers!"
"Excuse me, Arino, but...
... that is kind of illegal in Japan."

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Shlapintogan posted:

I see what looks like oranges, pears, cherries, and pineapple. That thing is more fruit than cake. :v:

By my estimation it's red currants, pear, orange and mango.

WAIT NO

that pear is not pear it is white grapefruit
probably some kind of citrus fruit tart, maybe some pineapple in there

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 15, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Random question: are there any other sources for the little 8-bit pictures of the GCCX staff members, aside from the DVD box art?

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Fuji TV posted:

"middle-aged rapper Arinoppa"

Oh my god, this will be the best bumper art of all time.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Oh my god I'm so excited for this.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Parappa is a short game but it can (and will) be an utter bastard difficulty wise so I can see Arino having GnG 'nam flashbacks here.

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

zari-gani posted:

No don't you see?this is obviously all a clever international viral marketing attempt. You're supposed to reveal all of the secrets to us.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

The White Dragon posted:

It's gonna be a super special episode where they do a surprise Hawaii trip in which Arino forsakes Kalakaua Boulevard's tourist trap strip and somehow wanders into a sketchy head shop.

They'll put this song over it.

"Uwa! This is the best gift for the viewers!"
"Excuse me, Arino, but...
... that is kind of illegal in Japan."

I'm just picturing something like this happening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm43WBwg82c

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

He already is a fruitcake!

e: :stat::wal:

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Doc Hawkins posted:

He already is a fruitcake!

I think you mean BEEFCAKE (I mean did you SEE him in his wrestlin garb? Too bad the second he touched American soil his body went all wrong...)