Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Have they said anything about whether the Wii U will do UPnP/DLNA yet? This is like the tipping point for the fence I am on about this console/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Or maybe he just doesn't live somewhere where his friends are close enough to make a trip worth it? or maybe his relatives don't play videogames? Maybe online gaming is the only way for him to be able to play games with anyone?

No, there's no way. I live in my basement and have no friends and nothing to do but whine about Nintendo's rear end-backwards approach to online.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

The appeal of a midnight launch is that they are fun StreetPass/Mario Kart parties and also it's a known quantity. I'd much rather stay up late and have a fun party and know I'm getting a system then spend a week or two memorizing the shipment times of every store in the area until I luck out.

I forgot about the streetpass stuff. Now I think I'll go by a couple stores that will have midnight launches around 11pm and collect a few.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

No, you can edit where the coins are though. Which is dumb as hell.
You could make a giant penis out of the coins.

Red_Mage posted:

Have they said anything about whether the Wii U will do UPnP/DLNA yet? This is like the tipping point for the fence I am on about this console/
Nope and I wouldn't expect it. The browser supports HTML video streaming stuff so depending on what you're using there might turn out to be some browser based solutions to what you want.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
If I transfer from my Wii to the WiiU, will everything still remain on the Wii? Is it a copy, or is it a straight-up transfer?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Maple Leaf posted:

If I transfer from my Wii to the WiiU, will everything still remain on the Wii? Is it a copy, or is it a straight-up transfer?

The Dsi to 3DS transfer wiped the DSi out, so I wouldnt count on it being a copy for Wii to Wii U

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I just don't understand why this tablet attachment for the Wii requires the friend codes to be twice as long! It's already bad enough that Nintendo is forcing all games to require local multiplayer only using camera facial recognition. Cancelling all 5 preorders.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Boten Anna posted:

I just don't understand why this tablet attachment for the Wii requires the friend codes to be twice as long! It's already bad enough that Nintendo is forcing all games to require local multiplayer only using camera facial recognition. Cancelling all 5 preorders.

*edit*

Ignore everything I just said because I am a stupid man.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Boten Anna posted:

I heard with the next console, the Wii Us, you will only be able to play multiplayer with those who share a blood relation to you. There's a syringe built into the console for drawing blood.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
It is now, four days before release, that I greatly regret not pre-ordering and now want to buy a deluxe Wii-U.

Hopefully Nintendo has regular shipments going out and doesn't have the same issue they did with the Wii, making it impossible to find for months.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Crow_Robot posted:

It is now, four days before release, that I greatly regret not pre-ordering and now want to buy a deluxe Wii-U.

Hopefully Nintendo has regular shipments going out and doesn't have the same issue they did with the Wii, making it impossible to find for months.

Stock has been put aside specifically for walk-in sales though:

quote:

GamesBeat: If I tried to place an order, supposing some retailer had pre-sales still open, how long would it take at this point before I might get one? Is it well into the new year?

Moffitt: No, not at all. We’ve been through these processes before. We want product to be available on day one in stores throughout the country. If you line up or get there early, you should be able to get product on day one. GameStop has not sold all of their day one allocation. They’ve sold what they were making available for pre-sales. Those are two different numbers. Now, a lot of what we gave them, they’ve sold to pre-sales, but, like every retailer will, they’ve held some back so they have product on day one for consumers that come in the door.
We have said that we’ll have more Wii U units on store shelves in week one than we did for Wii in 2006. We’ll also have replenishment much more frequently during the holiday than we did for Wii. Having said that, though, we’re guessing there could be shortages. It won’t be there every day. Shipments coming in each week could sell very quickly.

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/11/n...D2z3F6fz6Ozu.99

http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/11/nintendos-scott-moffitt-tells-us-what-we-need-to-know-about-the-wii-u-launch-interview/

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Re: Coin Battles and custom coin placements:

You just know that kids are going to love the hell out of this mode. Make a Mario level (or as close as we've ever gotten before) and play it with friends? That's the sort of thing children will love to play with for a long time.

Will it be of much use to me? Probably not. I'll probably mess around with it a little but just because it's not 100% useful to me doesn't mean I'm going to write it off as useless.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Red_Mage posted:

TVii has special interaction with TiVos, so maybe something could be done? Plus it supports HTML5 video and audio streams and all sorts of rad poo poo in the browser.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is anyone else kinda excited to just use the controller as a mini-tablet?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rirse posted:

No, I have a smart phone :unsmith:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Having a smart phone, and a pretty dang good one, as well as a netbook has been my reason for not getting and iPad or Nexus 7. None of these can play first-run Nintendo games, though, or have good gaming button configurations, which oddly enough suddenly enough make the idea of owning a "tablet" kind of exciting.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

DoctorWhat posted:

TVii has special interaction with TiVos, so maybe something could be done? Plus it supports HTML5 video and audio streams and all sorts of rad poo poo in the browser.

It seems really odd to me that they wouldn't include it since there isn't a license fee and they've focused so much on the media options with TVii.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Gutcruncher posted:

The Dsi to 3DS transfer wiped the DSi out, so I wouldnt count on it being a copy for Wii to Wii U

If your Wii is homebrewed there's a significant chance that you can just restore a NAND backup.

Not sure if that really counts as :filez: though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FPzero posted:

Re: Coin Battles and custom coin placements:

You just know that kids are going to love the hell out of this mode. Make a Mario level (or as close as we've ever gotten before) and play it with friends? That's the sort of thing children will love to play with for a long time.

Will it be of much use to me? Probably not. I'll probably mess around with it a little but just because it's not 100% useful to me doesn't mean I'm going to write it off as useless.
Could make interesting "levels" if there's no minimum, like only place a few per level so every single one is precious, and put them in hard places to make it a fight for every coin. Basically the opposite of NSMB2's coin overload.

Boten Anna posted:

Having a smart phone, and a pretty dang good one, as well as a netbook has been my reason for not getting and iPad or Nexus 7. None of these can play first-run Nintendo games, though, or have good gaming button configurations, which oddly enough suddenly enough make the idea of owning a "tablet" kind of exciting.
Heh, I have an iPad (and iPhone, and netbook that I hate for that matter) so the gamepad as a tablet isn't that big of a deal for me, but I'm pretty excited about the off TV play. So more about big rear end gaming handheld than small tablet I guess, but for the same reasons you mention (Nintendo/higher quality games + actual game controls).

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The GamePad definitely won't be replacing anyone's mobile device, but a smart TV with a dedicated tablet interface is pretty cool, especially with the IR-blaster. It's part of the living room. It's confined to the home, but it has the advantage of its native connection to the TV and other devices. If they get RSS and some kind of crossword or sudoku app, it might very well become the first device I turn on in the morning.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wonder when NOE and the other non-NA branches are gonna start talking TVii. I definitely expect to be short-changed but it'd be nice if they'd at least make an effort to acknowledge it exists.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
So for the Wii-to-WiiU transsfer, do I have to redownload ALL the games I bought from the Wii's shopping channel?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Waffleopolis posted:

So for the Wii-to-WiiU transsfer, do I have to redownload ALL the games I bought from the Wii's shopping channel?

Yeah and it's pretty annoying

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Yeah and it's pretty annoying

Wonder what will happened with the Final Fantasy IV: After Year DLCs. I can't download the two I bought for some reason, yet they all have no price point in-game. Oh well, the game was okay at best, and at this point cheaper buying a used PSP AND the Final Fantasy IV Complete then buying all the dlcs out for it.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I wonder when NOE and the other non-NA branches are gonna start talking TVii. I definitely expect to be short-changed but it'd be nice if they'd at least make an effort to acknowledge it exists.

Right now they're exploring how to tailor TVii for the TV view habits in other regions. Iwata implied that they might announce something for Japan soon. I have no idea about Europe.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Does anyone know if Tekken Tag Tournament 2 supports Wii Classic Controllers (and by extension Wii fightsticks)?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I was under the impression that VC and Wiiware games on the console will transfer, but ones on an SD card may have to be redownloaded.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rirse posted:

Wonder what will happened with the Final Fantasy IV: After Year DLCs. I can't download the two I bought for some reason, yet they all have no price point in-game. Oh well, the game was okay at best, and at this point cheaper buying a used PSP AND the Final Fantasy IV Complete then buying all the dlcs out for it.

Their DLC server was buggy at launch, too. It let me download all the DLC for free.

Rake Arms posted:

Right now they're exploring how to tailor TVii for the TV view habits in other regions. Iwata implied that they might announce something for Japan soon. I have no idea about Europe.

When they say "tailor for TV habits in other regions" they mean "work out licensing deals with content providers", ie Europe and especially AU/NZ are gonna get stooged, again.

Gutcruncher posted:

Does anyone know if Tekken Tag Tournament 2 supports Wii Classic Controllers (and by extension Wii fightsticks)?

I'm not sure, but the "Wii U" TTT2 Hori/Madcatz stick is just a rebranded Wii stick that has to tether to a Wiimote and everything, so I'd imagine Classic Controller support is in there.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 15, 2012

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
So in preparation for the Wii U launch, I created a channel for goons for the Wii U

#wiiugoons on synirc.net

I'll try to set up a bot to pull up WiiU usernames of goons eventually.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

When they say "tailor for TV habits in other regions" they mean "work out licensing deals with content providers", ie Europe and especially AU/NZ are gonna get stooged, again.

Hulu and Netflix may as well be mere campfire stories and folktales to us :negative:.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Rake Arms posted:

If they get RSS and some kind of crossword or sudoku app, it might very well become the first device I turn on in the morning.

You could use the internet browser on the GamePad for those things.

Waffleopolis posted:

So in preparation for the Wii U launch, I created a channel for goons for the Wii U

#wiiugoons on synirc.net

I'll try to set up a bot to pull up WiiU usernames of goons eventually.

Thanks for this, it will be in the OP.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Does a system launch normally get a subforum? Any chance of that happening this time? There will be lots of individual game threads I'm sure, probably a network ID exchanging thread, trobleshooting, etcetera.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Stock has been put aside specifically for walk-in sales though:

You mean stock has been put aside for those willing to camp out all night, every day.

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

Did anyone spot this article on Eurogamer about that "Spin the Bottle" indy game for Wii U? There are also articles on Joystiq and Kotaku.
It looks really...... interesting. :stare:

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Rirse posted:

The single-touch interface would instantly render it the most obsolete, crippled mini-tablet on the market today. It sounds lame, but what I'm most excited about is having the tablet to sort through my inventory on the fly in the inevitable Dark Souls 2, should it arrive on the Wii U. I know it's not a very imaginative use of the tablet, but it would be a godsend for what essentially would be the only game I would play for the following year.

Almost Smart fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 15, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

greatn posted:

Does a system launch normally get a subforum? Any chance of that happening this time? There will be lots of individual game threads I'm sure, probably a network ID exchanging thread, trobleshooting, etcetera.

None of these will come true, sorry about the reality check.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Almost Smart posted:

The single-touch interface would instantly render it the most obsolete, crippled mini-tablet on the market today.

Nah, not really.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Nah, not really.

Yeah, pretty much. It's 2012, not 2002.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Katana Gomai posted:

None of these will come true, sorry about the reality check.

I figure at least one or two of the launch games will get a thread. Probably Mario and ZombiU, but beyond those yeah you're spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

No matter how much you try to deny it, a single touch, resistive tablet is outdated tech for the sake of keeping the price of the console down. That doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad thing, I fits the bill in terms of being a cool controller for the WiiU; it would just be terrible at being anything but.

• Locked thread