Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Declan MacManus posted:

Jason Whitlock is good at three things: Eating ribs, stumping for Jeff George, and laying down burns on his fellow "reporters"

That's about it

GD_American brought it up a while ago, but he actually had a really good critical analysis of the Paterno biography.

So I guess that's one point in his favor, against millions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, that article was Legitimately Good. Which just makes his usual output all the more frustrating, really. Then again he worked in Kansas City for a while so maybe the hopelessness of the local sports scene beat him down.

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW

Febreeze posted:

GD_American brought it up a while ago, but he actually had a really good critical analysis of the Paterno biography.

So I guess that's one point in his favor, against millions.

His twitter feed owns.

“@WhitlockJason: Patraeus' wife had no chance against that biographer. No chance. Zilch. Zero.”

“@WhitlockJason: After kids are grown (out of high school), marriages should be re-opened and both parties should have to agree to renew vowels.”

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Party in the UAE posted:

His twitter feed owns.

“@WhitlockJason: Patraeus' wife had no chance against that biographer. No chance. Zilch. Zero.”

“@WhitlockJason: After kids are grown (out of high school), marriages should be re-opened and both parties should have to agree to renew vowels.”

Funny enough my parents did renew their vows after I got deep into college.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Party in the UAE posted:

Almost 60% of marriages fail because they can't agree if Y counts or not.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Sash! posted:

hahaha

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sash! posted:

Oh Jesus

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

:lol: nice one.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sash I didn't know you liked jokes

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Declan MacManus posted:

Sash I didn't know you liked jokes

Of course he does. He went to Penn State.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Jason Whitlock is hard for me to figure. Most of his articles are bad, but occasionally he writes awesome stuff. Any of his anti-NCAA stuff is required reading. After his "Jason Whitlock Destorys the NCAA" Podcast I seriously quit watching college sports. His twitter feed is great as previously mentioned, but his podcast is his best work. I love it. The ones with his barber, especially the first Tebow one, were so awesome. He is one of the few media members who will go at Goodell, and even more rare he was doing it over a year ago.

That being said, I love @TwhitlockJason even more

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
Don't know whether this has been discussed or not in this thread but can anyone pinpoint the time at which reporters/commentators started referring to injuries as just the body part? What I mean, and I don't remember exactly which game it was, but an offensive lineman was apparently diagnosed with "a hamstring", not "a hamstring injury". I heard it more this Sunday than any other Sunday this season. I'm starting to feel like it's some inside joke with the commentators. It drives me nuts and was generally something I heard on the national games but it has trickled down to the local media here in Chicago as well. I blame Madden but I'm not sure that he is the man responsible.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This man has the most mundane life:

Peter King posted:

There's a Starbucks in downtown Indy, on the circle surrounding the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, and I pulled up behind an Indianapolis police officer in front of it, put my flashers on, and ran in to get coffee. On my way out, five minutes later, the officer rolls down his window and says to me, "That your car?''

"Yes,'' I said.

"Need your driver's license,'' he said. "I can't believe you did that, right behind a cop. You parked in front of the hydrant.''

"My God, I never saw it,'' I said. "What an idiot I am."

He took my license, wrote out the ticket, handed it to me, and I said, "Sorry.'' I got in the car, and as I got set to leave, the officer got out of his car and gave me the stop sign, walking to the passenger window. I rolled it down.

"Give me that ticket,'' he said. "You were just in there for a couple minutes.''

"No, I did it,'' I said. "It's OK. My fault.''

And I started to realize: This man is about to rip up a ticket, for whatever reason, and I'm trying to argue him out of it?

Play idiot much?

Officer: "No, I'll take it. Just come back and see us. Say nice things about our city."

Me: "Hey, thanks a lot."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
How narcissistic to spend several paragraphs of your column bragging that you got out of a parking ticket because you're Peter King and therefore important.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I would've booted that car so fast.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
What if Peter King was black?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
What if Peter King was shot in the face repeatedly *daydreams 4 hours*

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I'm sitting in a little Italian restaurant while I read this and 'Everything I do, I do it for you,' Bryan Adams' smash hit from the Robin Hood soundtrack circa 1990, is playing and all I can think of is Peter King singing it at karaoke.

To an autographed picture of himself.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Rick Reilly has a column today about why it's better to watch an NFL game at home instead of attending live. Granted, this is just a gag list column, but it's still incredibly stupid. I attended my first NFL game earlier this year, and it completely changed the way I enjoy the game.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

AKMoose posted:

Rick Reilly has a column today about why it's better to watch an NFL game at home instead of attending live. Granted, this is just a gag list column, but it's still incredibly stupid. I attended my first NFL game earlier this year, and it completely changed the way I enjoy the game.

I like how he writes that article as MAN OF THE PEOPLE RICK REILLY and not RICK REILLY WHO WOULD OBVIOUSLY ONLY WATCH A FOOTBALL GAME FROM A PRIVATE SKYBOX WITH WAITERS AND PRIVATE BATHROOMS.

And ESPN still won't allow comments on his articles. Shocking.

quote:

Which is about how many the guy at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans looked like he had had the other night when he yelled, "Hey, Reilly! You suck!"

I would gladly buy that man a beer if I ever met him.

midwat
May 6, 2007

AKMoose posted:

You know, Peter King gets a good deal of flak (and rightfully so), but you could conceivably find something worth reading in his monstrous weekly columns.

Rick Reilly is just pure, unrelenting poo poo.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

AKMoose posted:

I'm not going to read this but it's an opinion a ton of people have. I haven't been to a pro-game but many people I know say they'd rather watch from home. The reason they give for why is that they don't like Heinz field. Maybe other stadiums are better. I've been to Pitt games at Heinz and I loved it so who knows

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wario Kart 64 posted:

I'm not going to read this but it's an opinion a ton of people have. I haven't been to a pro-game but many people I know say they'd rather watch from home. The reason they give for why is that they don't like Heinz field. Maybe other stadiums are better. I've been to Pitt games at Heinz and I loved it so who knows

I did not have a great time at the Bears games I've gone to, but that is because the two Bears quarterbacks I have seen in person are Cade McNown and Jonathan Quinn.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.

midwat posted:

You know, Peter King gets a good deal of flak (and rightfully so), but you could conceivably find something worth reading in his monstrous weekly columns.

Rick Reilly is just pure, unrelenting poo poo.

I remember when he was just the backpage guy for SI. At the time it really seemed like a worthy apex to his career.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm, like, in the top 5% most boring people to have ever lived and I think Peter King is hyper-boring.

You'd think "I needed to get into a Starbucks so fast I just stopped the car and threw the four ways on!" would cause you to re-evaluate a lot of things in your life.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It's no fun to go to a loss, and you can expect most Browns games to be a loss, so why would I ever go to a game?

Now, leave it to Rick Reilly to turn that opinion into written dog poo poo

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Rap posted:

It's no fun to go to a loss, and you can expect most Browns games to be a loss, so why would I ever go to a game?

Now, leave it to Rick Reilly to turn that opinion into written dog poo poo

I usually get good seats for free from a season ticket holder. They're near the pound, but not in it, and I have a hard time turning those down. If you attend a rare win, the experience is great though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWnoFC5GwOc

I got tickets to this one and it was especially good, had the radio with me the whole game which was amazingly synched well with the action on the field and just enhanced the experience all the more. There's a lot of stuff they cut out from the cameras, such as fights between players, etc. I fully expected Kasey to make that kick by the way.

09 Raiders game was great too, just because of the chants of "RAIDERS SUCK" filling the stadium, the amount of ejections from Oakland, and the fact that when Raiders fan put up some really lame banner at the opposite side of the Dawg Pound, Browns fans went out of their way to tear it down and chase their fans away. :allears:.

It's a great experience to make the pilgrimage to your favorite team's homefield, even if it is during a down year.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 20, 2012

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

09 Raiders game was great too, just because of the chants of "RAIDERS SUCK" filling the stadium, the amount of ejections from Oakland, and the fact that when Raiders fan put up some really lame banner at the opposite side of the Dawg Pound, Browns fans went out of their way to tear it down and chase their fans away. :allears:

I'm a Raiders fan and also saw a game at Browns stadium. I sort of had an opposite cool experience. I was seated near a huge block of seats that Raider fans had bought, so it was a good sized number of people, doing chants and such. The cool thing was that they were going back and forth with the Browns fans in the near sections and it was completely good-natured. The Browns fans would yell some insulting chant, the Raider fans would answer, and everyone was laughing and having a good time.

My wife is a Steeler fan and we've been to one Steeler game in Browns stadium. She wasn't obnoxious, she didn't wear any gear and when the Steelers scored (a frequent occurrence), her cheering was pretty mild. She was seated next to a pair of women who combined had to be 450 years old. The Steelers got an interception and Kelly spontaneously jumped up and yelled, "Yes!" The old woman next to her snapped, "Shut up!" She genuinely looked like she wanted to kill my wife.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Randomly Specific posted:

I remember when he was just the backpage guy for SI. At the time it really seemed like a worthy apex to his career.

I think ESPN was in one of its "let's hire a print guy so we look less like the TMZ of sports" moods when they brought him aboard.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm a Raiders fan and also saw a game at Browns stadium. I sort of had an opposite cool experience. I was seated near a huge block of seats that Raider fans had bought, so it was a good sized number of people, doing chants and such. The cool thing was that they were going back and forth with the Browns fans in the near sections and it was completely good-natured. The Browns fans would yell some insulting chant, the Raider fans would answer, and everyone was laughing and having a good time.

My wife is a Steeler fan and we've been to one Steeler game in Browns stadium. She wasn't obnoxious, she didn't wear any gear and when the Steelers scored (a frequent occurrence), her cheering was pretty mild. She was seated next to a pair of women who combined had to be 450 years old. The Steelers got an interception and Kelly spontaneously jumped up and yelled, "Yes!" The old woman next to her snapped, "Shut up!" She genuinely looked like she wanted to kill my wife.

Thats because your wife should eat poo poo

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Rap posted:

Thats because your wife should eat poo poo

She was born in the Pittsburgh area. She can't help where she was born just as Clevelanders can't help being born in a relentlessly cruel and punishing sports Hell.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

AKMoose posted:

I'll never agree to say I was agreeing with Rick Reilly, but I do actually prefer watching the games at a place that's not the stadium. I've now had the opportunity to go to a game each of the last three seasons, and one a year seems about right. It's fun to be at the stadium, but the actual viewing experience and opportunity is way better at home or in a place where 12 football games are all on at once and everything is much less expensive.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Badfinger posted:

I'll never agree to say I was agreeing with Rick Reilly, but I do actually prefer watching the games at a place that's not the stadium. I've now had the opportunity to go to a game each of the last three seasons, and one a year seems about right. It's fun to be at the stadium, but the actual viewing experience and opportunity is way better at home or in a place where 12 football games are all on at once and everything is much less expensive.

I think it depends heavily on the stadium. I've been to Foxboro, Baltimore, Buffalo, & NYC. I was too young to remember NYC, but Buffalo and Baltimore were amazing experiences. Foxboro was boring and dull and would have been better on TV.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Badfinger posted:

Who spends money on beer and nachos during the game? If you're going to a game you should be tailgating before/after the game. Stop caring about what's going on in the rest of the NFL for 5-6 hours and just enjoy the experience, hang out and watch some football.

Obviously they each have their own merits but it's hard to get real excited about a game watching it on TV in your living room.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

She was born in the Pittsburgh area. She can't help where she was born just as Clevelanders can't help being born in a relentlessly cruel and punishing sports Hell.

I think most Browns fans have adapted to just hating the Steelers and not enjoying their own team.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

I think most Browns fans have adapted to just hating the Steelers and not enjoying their own team.

hatred of the steelers pretty much comes from rear end in a top hat fans from ohio who claim they've been fans "Their entire life". Meanwhile they'll go and cheer for the Buckeyes on Saturdays, or the Tribe or Cavs when they're relevant.

They are scum of the earth in terms of sports fandoms.

Imagine the worst elements of Yankee, Red Sox, Cowboys and Laker bandwagon fans, and you have the Ohio Steeler fan.

edit: my spelling sucks.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 21, 2012

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I hate to sound like Jason Whitlock's PR guy but he had a podcast with Richard Sandomir, who is apparently the New York Times media critic, and it was awesome. They crapped on that show with Skip Bayless and Stephen A., Whitlock told him to send a reporter to Indy to harrass the NCAA every day (I would read every word this guy wrote 20 times), and more. The highlight was when Whitlock said he though Gus Johnson and Charlie Davis were the best football crew in America and then Sandomir poo poo on them and Fox Sports college gameday show for 8 minutes straight, on a Fox Sports podcast!

http://www.foxsportsradio.com/cc-common/podcast/single_page.html?podcast=jasonwhitlock_podcast

The second part was The Big Lead guy but that part sucked.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

FuzzySkinner posted:

They are scum of the earth in terms of sports fandems.

This is the truth.

I love going to games, even losses are fun but I doubt I could go to 8 a year. In short, Rick Reilly sucks and I used to really dig him. He's capable of putting out really good work and focusing on interesting things.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.
Revisiting that 'scooped on Twitter business' it reminds me of an article that I read before the election, talking about how the media still gets excited about chronological scoops (being the first with a story that everyone will get) rather than enterprise scoops (being the first with a story that nobody else even knows exists yet.)

I mean, whoopty-do that you're the 'first' to report that Roethlisberger is down? It's just a matter of being closest to the keyboard when the story breaks, not because of any extra-special super reporter powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

GNU Order posted:

Who spends money on beer and nachos during the game? If you're going to a game you should be tailgating before/after the game. Stop caring about what's going on in the rest of the NFL for 5-6 hours and just enjoy the experience, hang out and watch some football.

Obviously they each have their own merits but it's hard to get real excited about a game watching it on TV in your living room.

When I get the opportunity to go to a football game, I do. But I don't get the opportunity, and frankly don't want, to go half the football season.

Does the television steal your soul or something? How is it tough to get excited at home?

• Locked thread