Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Shalinor posted:

2.) core gamers have zero interest in their entire world becoming f2p.

... mind that I'm not looping MMOs in there, or equivalent. Those, I think, are staying F2P.
Well, I think MMOs would show why this could be wrong: There isn't really any reason that a high-end multiplayer game couldn't be made F2P. CryTek is apparently putting their chips on doing exactly that.

It's not just the monetization per user that makes it work either, it also staves off population collapse. It's much harder to get to the point of users questioning whether they want to risk dumping money on game that nobody else is playing when they don't have to dump the money to find out and the playerbase is inflated by free players.

Single player is a different story of course, it doesn't offer much over demo versions and DLC there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Sigma-X posted:

The big publishers that have stuck around have been able to successfully find tent-poles the big-money games shift to Games as a Service, and Midway/THQ have not.

Except that the AAA industry isn't anywhere near shifting to "games as a service". The current generation platforms simply don't support it, and all bets are still off on next gen. There's precious few non-multiplayer freemium games showing up on Steam, and it's still too early to tell how many of those will work out or will sink.

In any event, it's pretty obvious to see that the current freemium models simply aren't applicable to single player games. Although a clever entrepreneur might show them wrong, current AAA publishers just don't want to venture down that avenue when their current big budget single player game approach is already risky enough as it is.

THQ isn't sinking because of "service" games, it's sinking because of a series of dubious decisions following the sudden decline of the licensed IP goldmine. The worst of it being the 360/PS3 release of uDraw, by far and large. There's just so much negative momentum that it's going to take a while to reverse it, even given the new focus on core franchises.

And this is is just my optimistic opinion, but I somehow doubt Jason Rubin would've joined if the company was truly as hopeless as the media makes it sound. But then, maybe he underestimated the negative momentum and the impact of stockholders bailing out. :shobon:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Monster w21 Faces posted:

:siren:JOB TIME:siren:

We are looking for a great artist to come work with our established art team. We are offering a full-time position for an artist with the passion and drive to create amazing, fun, characterful, mass-market games. Games the world wants to play. With the exceptional creative and technical art skills to create fun, addictive games, you will be contributing to the delivery of Outplay's innovative, engaging and massively enjoyable games across the mobile and social gaming landscape.

Is this you? What are you waiting for?

The person

• Solid working knowledge of 2D art production and tools including Flash, Photoshop and Illustrator
• Solid 3d skills
• Collaborates well with the Art team and other disciplines
• Ability to take concept art to a finished production level
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Able to take direction well
• Able to handle multiple tasks and deliver on these to the highest quality.
Extras
• Graphic design
• UI skills

Please apply via http://www.outplayentertainment.com/jobs/

I applied on Monday after being directed there by Smegbot. :D
folio

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

devilmouse posted:

The revenue models are rough for F2P, but certainly way better than trying to do for-pay games. Let's make a fake company (or a real one in my case... HA!!) and look at some back of the napkin numbers!

Assume a burn-rate of 10k/employee/month, which includes rent, taxes, payroll, health insurance, and a relatively ok salary, so your employees aren't stuck eating ramen and able to actually, you know, have a life. If you want to bump this to a competitive salary and better benefits, increase the rate to 15k/employee/month.

Let's then assume a 5 person team, made up of 2 designer/engineers, 2 engineers, and an artist, and we're looking at needing 50k/month to break even. Let's ignore, for the time being the ramp in to releasing the first game because, hey, savings and severance!

Because we're all awesome, let's say we can bang out a game in 4-5 months, so our budget for a game ends up being 200-250k.

What do we need to break even?

With a $.99 app, well, we need 350k downloads. Ouch! Pushing it to 1.99 and that comes down to 180k downloads. Still ouch! This is resounding success land in the app store and requires lots of luck/press/whatever. Pushing the price higher pushes your downloads even faster, especially since with a team of 5, you're not exactly in AAA territory here and it's harder to get notice.

With a poorly monetized, but free game, pulling in only a pathetic $0.01/DAU because you're only running ads or don't understand how money works in F2P, we'd need 160k DAU, putting downloads upwards of 2M. Well, poo poo, that's certainly not happening without charting something fierce. What if we get more aggressive with our monetization though? Let's assume that I'm ok at my job but not a Japanese master at GREE or making hardcore PVP ala Battle Pirates/Clash of Clans (where they can pull down upwards of $0.4-.7/DAU) and can pull down a far more respectable $0.05/DAU. Well, that only requires 35k DAU. More manageable to be sure. Drag that up to $0.1/DAU and hey, down to 20k DAU. That only requires a few hundred thousand downloads, assuming your NURR/CURR/RURR are good. Certainly enough to get the flywheels turning and give you enough runway to optimize, start looking at your lifetime values, advertise, and such.

F2P odds are just too much better to think about doing anything else. The upside is also much larger as well. FOR NOW! BUM BUM BUM!

----

Edit for THE FUTURE!

I think what's happening is that casuals will get bored of the same-old-same-old, but with the rise of tablet and the awful "midcore" audience, the opportunity is now to move people between engagement levels. We still don't target the core gamer audience, but there's a pretty wide gulf between them and the FarmVille mommy audience.

I will go ahead and make a bold claim that I believe any game under ~.20/DAU will not survive unless they get extraordinarily lucky with word of mouth or Apple/Google features. CPI is rising dramatically and you need roughly that amount to offset paid acquisition.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Aliginge posted:

I applied on Monday after being directed there by Smegbot. :D
folio

Awesome. Don't know if out lead artist Graham has seen your profile yet or not, but I'll send him an email in the morning.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

devilmouse posted:

The revenue models are rough for F2P, but certainly way better than trying to do for-pay games. Let's make a fake company (or a real one in my case... HA!!) and look at some back of the napkin numbers!

Assume a burn-rate of 10k/employee/month, which includes rent, taxes, payroll, health insurance, and a relatively ok salary, so your employees aren't stuck eating ramen and able to actually, you know, have a life. If you want to bump this to a competitive salary and better benefits, increase the rate to 15k/employee/month.

Let's then assume a 5 person team, made up of 2 designer/engineers, 2 engineers, and an artist, and we're looking at needing 50k/month to break even. Let's ignore, for the time being the ramp in to releasing the first game because, hey, savings and severance!

Because we're all awesome, let's say we can bang out a game in 4-5 months, so our budget for a game ends up being 200-250k.

What do we need to break even?

With a $.99 app, well, we need 350k downloads. Ouch! Pushing it to 1.99 and that comes down to 180k downloads. Still ouch! This is resounding success land in the app store and requires lots of luck/press/whatever. Pushing the price higher pushes your downloads even faster, especially since with a team of 5, you're not exactly in AAA territory here and it's harder to get notice.

With a poorly monetized, but free game, pulling in only a pathetic $0.01/DAU because you're only running ads or don't understand how money works in F2P, we'd need 160k DAU, putting downloads upwards of 2M. Well, poo poo, that's certainly not happening without charting something fierce. What if we get more aggressive with our monetization though? Let's assume that I'm ok at my job but not a Japanese master at GREE or making hardcore PVP ala Battle Pirates/Clash of Clans (where they can pull down upwards of $0.4-.7/DAU) and can pull down a far more respectable $0.05/DAU. Well, that only requires 35k DAU. More manageable to be sure. Drag that up to $0.1/DAU and hey, down to 20k DAU. That only requires a few hundred thousand downloads, assuming your NURR/CURR/RURR are good. Certainly enough to get the flywheels turning and give you enough runway to optimize, start looking at your lifetime values, advertise, and such.

F2P odds are just too much better to think about doing anything else. The upside is also much larger as well. FOR NOW! BUM BUM BUM!

----

Edit for THE FUTURE!

I think what's happening is that casuals will get bored of the same-old-same-old, but with the rise of tablet and the awful "midcore" audience, the opportunity is now to move people between engagement levels. We still don't target the core gamer audience, but there's a pretty wide gulf between them and the FarmVille mommy audience.

This is a fantastic write-up and breakdown. I think this should be added to the OP.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Relevant to the F2P discussion: Punch Quest failed bad enough that they put it to 99c

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I will go ahead and make a bold claim that I believe any game under ~.20/DAU will not survive unless they get extraordinarily lucky ....

BOLD! We have this discussion a lot about which is easier, growth (and by extension, retention) or revenue. Both sides have strong arguments and things change depending on where you are on the spectrum, who your audience is, your available channels and so forth, and you can see good examples of both doing extremely well for themselves.

Now to chase that impossible unicorn of doing both....

Pocketgamer article posted:

Offering advice to would-be indie game makers, [Kepa] Auwae cautions: "don't make a free game that's too generous. You will make no money."

In one of my consulting gigs, I told them straight up on my first day as we were establishing rates and expectations and goals and whatnot, "Listen, I am going to make your game less fun. You will not like this and you will complain. You will, however, make money."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I am literally in awe that this actually exists:

quote:

According to a source familiar with the matter, the house that built FarmVille will hire one associate game designer that participates in the upcoming game show to work in its San Francisco office. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel. (For publicity, we mean.)

Open casting calls for the program took place in San Francisco and New York early last month, according to the show's home page, and shooting began last week, our source tells us. The casting call for Zynga's future associate game designer was held in the Bay Area, according to a non-disclosure agreement provided to the tipster in error during shooting for a different episode, for the eighth episode of the first season.

The shoot would have likely included Zynga executives interviewing potential candidates on camera, two rounds of quizzes and missions for the candidates to complete, the source tells us. Later during the shoot, three industry-related guests were likely brought in to make bids on the candidates for them to join their own companies, based on what the tipster witnessed for a different episode of "The Job" shot in New York.

http://blog.games.com/2012/11/12/zynga-the-job-cbs/

A loving reality show, to hire an associate designer. I seriously hope this isn't real, but jesus, this is going to be a trainwreck if it is. But I guess anything for some publicity.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

The Glumslinger posted:

A loving reality show, to hire an associate designer. I seriously hope this isn't real, but jesus, this is going to be a trainwreck if it is. But I guess anything for some publicity.
I think a lot of these "win the show, get the job" type things tend to wind up as short-lived ceremonial do-nothing positions. The fact that it's an "associate" position reeks of that.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey, remember The Tester?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tester

I want this show to involve the applicants racing through an obstacle course only for Olmec to tell them they didn't get the job at the end of each episode.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
It feels a bit predatory of Sony and Zynga to dangle these really low level fake jobs (no offense to publisher-side game testers or associate designers, whatever those are) in front of naive gamers, who wind up embarrassing themselves and reducing their chances of having a real career while the game show makes ad money off them.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
x

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 18, 2017

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Jan posted:

Except that the AAA industry isn't anywhere near shifting to "games as a service".
:laugh:
Let's chat this time next year.

Jan posted:

And this is is just my optimistic opinion, but I somehow doubt Jason Rubin would've joined if the company was truly as hopeless as the media makes it sound. But then, maybe he underestimated the negative momentum and the impact of stockholders bailing out. :shobon:
THQ is, as of this morning, in default on a line of credit from Wells Fargo.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsav..._medium=twitter

They are dead, and will be cut up for pieces - the and whatever worthwhile IP they own will be sold off. There is no other end game for them. There is no other way out of this situation.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The whole thing about it is how do you define "games as a service"? Is it freemium? Is it a game that you pay a subscription fee? A game that you pay retail that then continues to have free DLC or updates? Retail price games with micro-transactions?

All of these could conceivably be described as "games as a service", but all mean very different things in reality.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Comrade Flynn posted:

I will go ahead and make a bold claim that I believe any game under ~.20/DAU will not survive unless they get extraordinarily lucky with word of mouth or Apple/Google features. CPI is rising dramatically and you need roughly that amount to offset paid acquisition.

Yeah I was just about to post the same thing. CPI is out of control and getting worse. It's bad on the web and horrific on iOS. It's turning into yet another market where only the big corps can play because they can leverage referral networks if they have lots of games. I think if you're indy your best bet is still making an alpha demo of something that catches the eye of core pc gamers and building enough buzz to get on to Steam with a $10 download.

I suppose at the end of the day it doesn't matter what market you choose. You need a bunch of luck and press to be profitable.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Shalinor posted:

I would be inclined to agree. The collapse of the wii, combined with the continued stability of Steam/downloadables pricing, would seem to indicate two things.

I wouldn't really say that the Wii crashed, it did pretty respectably for a last-gen console during the incredibly over-extended current generation.

quote:

EDIT: I suppose you could also compare it to Flash games. A space where people once made handsome livings, now reduced to a space only hobbyists can afford to bother with.

I've heard a number of people say that mobile casual games are going to go the same way as Flash and Facebook games, but I'd argue that all three of those are actually the exact same market. Facebook had interconnectivity that Flash games lacked so the audience moved there, and mobile games have the portability that Facebook games didn't have so the audience moved again.

I don't see them moving from mobile games for quite some time. Until there's a medium more convenient than something that you already carry with you everywhere, anyway.

edit: Also for freemium games, I don't think they're really going to go anywhere. I mean sure, they'll probably change their form a couple of times over the years as they find their footing, but the idea of a game that has high throughput and allows you to continue putting money in for as long as you play the game just makes far more sense than a game where the actual amount of time you spend playing it is in no way proportional to the price.

I'm just hoping that people start coming up with better solutions to monetize their games rather than the exploitative practices of Zynga et al or the 'Pay $5 to skip the actual game part of the game' methods that we're using at the moment. That poo poo's terrible and it's astonishingly destructive to the industry.

AntiPseudonym fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 15, 2012

wasabimilkshake
Aug 21, 2007

North Carolina votes yes.

devilmouse posted:

assuming your NURR/CURR/RURR are good
Those acronyms are hilariously difficult to Google, but what they mean doesn't interest me nearly as much as how you'd pronounce them when you're talking about this stuff out loud. Does anyone ever walk into a conference room and say, "good news, team, our nurrkurrrurr is looking up this month?"

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Sooooooo the first game I've been doing design work for at Outplay Entertainment is now live globally.

It's a cross between bust-a-move and peggle and it has awesome art.

It's free and out now on iTunes for all iOS devices: https://itunes.apple.com/app/bubble-blaze/id560462487?ls=1&mt=8

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I started at Outplay about a month and a half ago as an engineer and it's been really good and everyone is nice and all that jazz, it's really nice that execution quality is placed so highly too as the games the company have put out all have a very high quality feel. I didn't work on Bubble Blaze but it's an awesome game, looks really good in motion and has pretty great difficulty ramping and variations.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
WHO ARE YOU?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I find the campaign map too difficult to follow - the dots don't pop enough against the background and the distances between them can be quite large. That's my only feedback from 1 minute of play :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"brian", obviously.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

mutata posted:

"brian", obviously.

:ssh: my real name isn't Brian

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

FreakyZoid posted:

I find the campaign map too difficult to follow - the dots don't pop enough against the background and the distances between them can be quite large. That's my only feedback from 1 minute of play :)

Yeah we're changing the map in the first big update. We don't like it much either any more.

DEADLINES!

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

wasabimilkshake posted:

Those acronyms are hilariously difficult to Google, but what they mean doesn't interest me nearly as much as how you'd pronounce them when you're talking about this stuff out loud. Does anyone ever walk into a conference room and say, "good news, team, our nurrkurrrurr is looking up this month?"

New user return rate, current user return rate, and returning/reactivating user return rate. Basically retention numbers. And yes, you say "nurr", "rurr", and "kurr" if you say them out loud. The number of acronyms is hilarious.

Also pretty good writeup by Daniel Cook on the F2P/paid discussion: https://plus.google.com/105363132599081141035/posts/Lce7wEJApEr

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Goon studio. :ninja:

How is Dundee by the way? I could tell you all sorts about England and the towns to go to (York) and the places to avoid (London) but Scotland is one huge sodding mystery to me.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 15, 2012

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Dundee is the Hollywood of the games industry. I'm sure that was a line in some Dare fluff piece or other.

devilmouse posted:

New user return rate, current user return rate, and returning/reactivating user return rate.
How long do you class someone as a new user in that breakdown? Or are you talking about sessions rather than daily retention?

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Dundee's been pretty great for me, lots of friendly people, lots of studios and there's weekly game dev people pub get togethers and stuff, great fighting game scene if you're into that. It's all built on a hill so some stuff is up hill but it's pretty flat in the centre. Pretty reasonable flat renting prices and lots of places to eat and go out at night to and so on.

It's a lot better than Middlesbrough i'm sure you'll be glad to hear, we were actually at Uni at the same uni at the same time Aliginge, I think I ended up playing unreal tournament in a lab with you at one point.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Stop posting on forums during work hours!

I'm allowed. I'm a CM. At least for a little bit longer.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

FreakyZoid posted:

How long do you class someone as a new user in that breakdown? Or are you talking about sessions rather than daily retention?

Generally it refers to d1 retention, unless otherwise specified, but sometimes people will use it to mean second session instead. There's no real standard when you talk to people at different companies, so it's always helpful to clarify when it comes to this stuff.

edit: Is the TouchArcade "dev-only" forum worth it or is it mostly tumbleweeds? I'm coming to terms with the fact that I might have to wade in to the TA forums at some point and if there's any knowledge to be had/shared there, I might as well consider hopping in!

devilmouse fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 15, 2012

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
I've found mobile game site forums to be awful.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
To Unity users: If you had to recommend a single resource/site/book/whatever for learning UnityScript to someone who only has some basic knowledge of ActionScript 2, what would you pick?

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
I quite enjoy Dundee. It gets a bad rep from some places but I've been here 4.5 years and have no desire to leave any time soon.

I heard an interesting explanation as to why Dundee's so big for games developers. Back in the 80s the ZX Spectrum was £150 to buy (about £600 in today's money) unless you were in Dundee where it was £20 and 2 packs of Lambert & Butler round the back of the Timex factory...

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

FreakyZoid posted:

Dundee is the Hollywood of the games industry.

And Montreal! Not many shutdowns that I've heard about, compared to the US.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

brian posted:

It's a lot better than Middlesbrough i'm sure you'll be glad to hear, we were actually at Uni at the same uni at the same time Aliginge, I think I ended up playing unreal tournament in a lab with you at one point.
Holy poo poo this industry is tiny. :v: Here's hoping we can work together with perhaps fewer shock rifles in the way this time.

In other news I started modelling a Gundam today, eat that Turbosmooth modifier EAT IT.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 15, 2012

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
So Bubble Blaze is now the NO.1 bubble popper in the UK and US!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

So I had not really used LinkedIn, but I was told to get it setup and running so I can write recommendations for people. This is a really noisy website, and I'm kind of lost trying to figure it out. Anyone have any links to guides for LinkedIn?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Chainclaw posted:

So I had not really used LinkedIn, but I was told to get it setup and running so I can write recommendations for people. This is a really noisy website, and I'm kind of lost trying to figure it out. Anyone have any links to guides for LinkedIn?

Fill out your profile. Set yourself to open to everything. Leave the site. Wait for headhunters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Chainclaw posted:

Yeah, fill out your profile as much as you're comfortable with then forget about it. You'll get an email when someone sends you a message (usually recruiters).