Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This is a quick journalistic ethics question (I don't know if this is in the right place or not). I wrote a review of a charity readthrough of a play that was staged with the idea of raising funding for a full production. The review was hugely positive as it was genuinely a great play and I also support the cause it puts forward 100%. So after I'd submitted my review I got this email:

quote:

My name is XX, producer of *the play at the theatre*

I really appreciated your analysis of the play, and enjoyed reading the reviewand discovering new things about this script. Because the reading was not open to reviews, and because our performers gave so generously (on a voluntary basis) to bring thescript to life, I am personally reluctant to share this review because of a negative criticism of one of the actors. It just didn't feel fair to share this given that the reading was a charity event for which the actors rehearsed one day only, and given that they agreed to perform with no expectation that their performances would be reviewed. Does this make sense? If this was a regular production run of a play, with ample rehearsal process and an opening night where reviewers are expected, I would feel differently.

If you might consider removing the commentary about the actor *up and coming man*, I would be very honored to post and share the review because it's extremely well written and insightful, and we all learned so much about the play from reading it. If this is not a request you are comfortable with, I sincerely understand and thank you so much for publishing your piece. Hopefully, many readers will find it and learn from it. I know that XX greatly appreciated your insights. I just don't feel comfortable sharing i, out of respect for our cast, given the circumstances of their involvement and their genuine generosity of spirit in donating their time and talent to help the cause.

Thank you again!

I wouldn't ever usually edit criticism at the behest of a producer, but I think she does have a point that this was a charity event and the actors admitted they had very little rehearsal time. Also, if my review can help the play get proper staging then I'd definitely want that to happen.

Input?

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albright
Jan 10, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Just curious, but why 180? Generally print resolution is best at 300, so why not work at that? Does it slow down your file to work at high-rez?

In regards to the magazine stock image thing, I generally only credit Rights Managed photos, cheapo royalty free ones I don't bother. You could check with the site directly though and see what they say.

I contacted veer and istockphoto etc, they said that basically unless you are using the photo IN an advertisement, it needs to have the credit, and the credit needs to be adjacent (on the same page).

So okay, technically that is what the microstock sites say, however is this a real world thing that graphic designers actually do, and are there any real world consequences to not listing the credit? Considering that 99% of websites and software have ridiculous terms of service that nobody ever reads or follows, there's generally a gray area. I don't see any other local magazines that actually give the credit line, even though I'm pretty sure they are getting their stock photos from the same sites I would use.

Obviously its a bit ugly to have "copyright user/stockphotosite.com" for every photo you use in the magazine, do designers really stick to that?

(And if so, are there any stock photo sites that don't require this credit in their license?)

Albright fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 9, 2012

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

A friend used a tool in photoshop the other day, can't remember what it was. I can't find it either.

Used it to go from this:

to this:

It was, quote, "like 3-year old easy". Believe she was in Photoshop CS5.

"there was an option, you click, it gives a pull down menu with different colors and textures."

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Can anyone weigh in on whether or not I should do some kind of background/underpainting on this planned painting? Mockup:

It will be black and white, but the ties will all be colored (Pink, Yellow, etc). I think the contrast of the ties will end up looking fine on just plain black and white, but I've also considered laying down some flecks of red on the canvas before doing the silhouettes.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Deviant posted:

A friend used a tool in photoshop the other day, can't remember what it was. I can't find it either.

Used it to go from this:

to this:

It was, quote, "like 3-year old easy". Believe she was in Photoshop CS5.

"there was an option, you click, it gives a pull down menu with different colors and textures."
That's Gradient Map, set to "Blue, Red, Yellow," a default gradient preset.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Does anyone know what the technique of lighting a 3D model from a 360 panoramic photograph is called, or some tutorials for doing it, or even some software that supports it? I'm having trouble googling for it.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

David Pratt posted:

Does anyone know what the technique of lighting a 3D model from a 360 panoramic photograph is called, or some tutorials for doing it, or even some software that supports it? I'm having trouble googling for it.

It's called HDRi lighting. The 360 photographs are called HDRi maps.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This is a quick journalistic ethics question (I don't know if this is in the right place or not). I wrote a review of a charity readthrough of a play that was staged with the idea of raising funding for a full production. The review was hugely positive as it was genuinely a great play and I also support the cause it puts forward 100%. So after I'd submitted my review I got this email:

I wouldn't ever usually edit criticism at the behest of a producer, but I think she does have a point that this was a charity event and the actors admitted they had very little rehearsal time. Also, if my review can help the play get proper staging then I'd definitely want that to happen.

Input?

I think that's pretty cheeky. The producer can send round an edited version if he/she wants. Reply saying 'thanks - that won't be possible, but feel free to use excerpts from the review in your publicity'.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Has anyone mucking around with photoshop cs6's timeline been able to figure out where the heck the onion skin option is?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A question about Adobe Illustrator/InDesign.

I want to create a circle with different colored parts. Kind of like this:

I know it sounds simple, but I can't figure it out. Google's telling me that there's a break at points option, but any info I've come across is for older versions of the software.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 15, 2012

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
The scissors tool (C) will cut out segments of a path. It might help to duplicate the circle and use a different layer for each color to build it. Just leave the bottom layer as a full circle, cut out (and save) 2/3 of the middle layer and 1/3 of the top layer. (Illustrator)

Also there might be a way to do it with Illustrator's graphing feature, but I've never really used it. Make a 3-section pie chart and plop a white circle in the middle, or use a circle and the pathfinder tool to cut out that part if you need it to be transparent.

Yip Yips fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 15, 2012

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
Yeah, use the pathfinder tool to cut the circle into shapes.

If you're a full-on newbie and you haven't solved this yet I can write you a tutorial.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Working in Audition: recording new tracks in a multitrack session, when I play them back they're juust out of sync. Apparently older versions of the software had a "correct for drag" feature that helped with this, but mine does not. Anyone know how to fix drag/lagging in recording?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Yip Yips posted:

Also there might be a way to do it with Illustrator's graphing feature, but I've never really used it. Make a 3-section pie chart and plop a white circle in the middle, or use a circle and the pathfinder tool to cut out that part if you need it to be transparent.

That's how I do it, but I'm generally doing actual charts when I do this effect not just a 3-segment circle.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

raging bullwinkle posted:

Yeah, use the pathfinder tool to cut the circle into shapes.

If you're a full-on newbie and you haven't solved this yet I can write you a tutorial.

The pathfinder was my first thought, but I can't seem to produce the shape I need. :psyduck:

I'll bite- a tutorial would be amazing (or even a single screenshot of the tools and shapes you're using).

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

melon cat posted:

The pathfinder was my first thought, but I can't seem to produce the shape I need. :psyduck:

I'll bite- a tutorial would be amazing (or even a single screenshot of the tools and shapes you're using).

There are a few ways to do this, but this is how I made mine. I don't know how much you know already, so forgive me if I sound patronizing/don't give you enough info.

1) Draw a circle with a thick stroke and no fill. To do this, select the ellipse tool, hold shift, then click and drag. To add a stroke, go to window > stroke, then stick a high number in the 'weight' box in the window that appears.
2) Expand the stroked circle into an object (with the circle selected, go to object > expand > OK)

3) Draw a line that runs through part of the circle (or multiple lines, if you'd like). This will be the line that cuts your circle into pieces. I just used one diagonal line, here.
4) Open the pathfinder window (window > pathfinder). Then, with the circle and line selected, click the 'divide' button on the bottom left of the pathfinder window. This will split your circle where the line intersected it.
5) Ungroup the object. Pathfinder has already split your circle into pieces, but we want to break it into parts that we can colour separately. Do this by right clicking the object and selecting 'ungroup'.
6) With the selection tool, select the individual pieces of the circle and choose your different colours.

Hope that helps you in some way!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

There are a few ways to do this, but this is how I made mine. I don't know how much you know already, so forgive me if I sound patronizing/don't give you enough info.

1) Draw a circle with a thick stroke and no fill. To do this, select the ellipse tool, hold shift, then click and drag. To add a stroke, go to window > stroke, then stick a high number in the 'weight' box in the window that appears.
2) Expand the stroked circle into an object (with the circle selected, go to object > expand > OK)

3) Draw a line that runs through part of the circle (or multiple lines, if you'd like). This will be the line that cuts your circle into pieces. I just used one diagonal line, here.
4) Open the pathfinder window (window > pathfinder). Then, with the circle and line selected, click the 'divide' button on the bottom left of the pathfinder window. This will split your circle where the line intersected it.
5) Ungroup the object. Pathfinder has already split your circle into pieces, but we want to break it into parts that we can colour separately. Do this by right clicking the object and selecting 'ungroup'.
6) With the selection tool, select the individual pieces of the circle and choose your different colours.

Hope that helps you in some way!
:eyepop:

You actually went and did it. Thanks so much for this. Really. You're awesome!

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
I took photos of cityscapes, and I cut them into layers in photoshop (foreground, middleground, horizon). I want to print them onto transparent materials, either directly onto a semi-rigid plastic, or onto an adhesive film that I can apply to glass or plexiglas, and display them in my windows in such a way that I can slide out the different panels and create cityscapes. I have the .psd files and .pdfs of the individual layers.

My question is, is there a print shop that can print these (approximately 12" by 22") onto transparent stuff? Can anyone recommend a place? My printer isn't good enough to do it on its own.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
For one of my current projects, I'm building an in-game glossary for people to refer to for background information on the world. It's got five categories:

People
Locations
Organisations
Technology
Society

Together, the first letters of those would make the acronym "PLOTS", but I'd rather give it something a little more...dynamic-sounding. I'd considered "PILOT" (P, Individuals, Locations, Organisations, Technology), but that leaves me with the problem of not being able to find a word for "Society" that starts with P. Perhaps someone who's learned English more recently than I might be able to come up with an idea, or even a different acronym using those five concepts?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Populace?

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

melon cat posted:

:eyepop:

You actually went and did it. Thanks so much for this. Really. You're awesome!

No problem!

Wacom question: What is this, and how can I stop it? It occurs when I press pen to tablet in a browser window.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

No problem!

Wacom question: What is this, and how can I stop it? It occurs when I press pen to tablet in a browser window.

It's the "press and hold to right click" thing that's on by default in Vista/Windows 7. You can turn it off by going to your control panel, finding Pen and Touch settings, and turning it off in Pen Options.

If the click-ripples also bother you, you can get rid of those by disabling Windows' Tablet PC Input service.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

It's the "press and hold to right click" thing that's on by default in Vista/Windows 7. You can turn it off by going to your control panel, finding Pen and Touch settings, and turning it off in Pen Options.

If the click-ripples also bother you, you can get rid of those by disabling Windows' Tablet PC Input service.

Thanks so much! I kept combing through my wacom settings -- didn't realize Windows had its own settings in the control panel.

(Also, yes, the ripple bothers me too. You are a pal.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Adobe Illustrator
Is there any way to set effect, transform, etc previews to on by default?

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
Quite a few months ago there was a thread in which there was an amazing comic about a bird, his controlling mother, and a locked up house he lived in. It was absolutely amazing and just as the end was about to be posted the artist got a contract with a publisher and couldn't post the comic anymore. Last I heard there was supposed to be a September release and a possible release as an iPad app.

I actually had to avoid CC for awhile or the suspense was going to eat at me, except now I can't remember the name of the comic or where to get it or if it was ever released.

Someone please point me somewhere so I can throw money at him and find out the ending. Thank you!

edit: Thank you for the link! Thank you!

Noisycat fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 25, 2012

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
http://www.indiegogo.com/jaybird-comic

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
What's a good service to get custom stationary done?

I'm finding it a bit silly to pay someone else to design my wedding invitations since I'm a professional designer and can easily do it myself, but I've never sent anything off to be professionally printed before besides sending my thesis book to lulu.com

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: wrong thread

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 25, 2012

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

What's a good service to get custom stationary done?

I'm finding it a bit silly to pay someone else to design my wedding invitations since I'm a professional designer and can easily do it myself, but I've never sent anything off to be professionally printed before besides sending my thesis book to lulu.com

If you look up Uprinting (company) or "online print shops" there will be a bunch of shops you can send custom graphics to. A lot of them will send you samples of all their available papers for free or a small fee. They often will have pre-marked templates for Photoshop so you know where the crop line is, and a lot of them seem to do invitations. I haven't ordered anything but samples from them (I think the other packet I got was called Overnight Printing)

When I did my own wedding invites we just got them printed at Staples since we could see how the colors turned out, then used a scoring pen and folded them ourselves.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My experience with getting things printed at Staples has been horrendous at best, mostly because their staff has had no training and I've had to go back and show them how to use their own printers.

I'll check out Uprinting, thanks! I'm also looking at Vistaprint.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My experience with getting things printed at Staples has been horrendous at best, mostly because their staff has had no training and I've had to go back and show them how to use their own printers.

I'll check out Uprinting, thanks! I'm also looking at Vistaprint.

Vistaprint is the best. They have a lot of discounted offers for such things as business cards and postcards. I got some for my upcoming art show next year. If you sign up to their newsletter they give you a lot of offers. Although you would have to pay extra if you upload custom designs and express delivery.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

Vistaprint was the other one I was trying to think of. I don't know about stationary but I know a lot of people who have gotten business cards from them.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I bought these awesome Polychromos pencils while they were on offer (ended up paying about £40):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000EWYCX0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01

Once I muster up the courage to use them, what kind of paper (or other canvas) would be best for using them with? I know nothing about different kinds of paper. Since they have oil-based lead it seems like they might need something specific, but no idea what.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there anywhere in CC, or another SA subforum, where people talk about their screenprint collection? I was lucky enough to nab one of Joshua Budich's mystery tubes on C. Monday, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one here who picked one up, be nice to see what other people got.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

The pHo posted:

Is there anywhere in CC, or another SA subforum, where people talk about their screenprint collection? I was lucky enough to nab one of Joshua Budich's mystery tubes on C. Monday, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one here who picked one up, be nice to see what other people got.

I don't think so, but feel free to start one if you want. Screenprinting is a lot of fun, and everybody loves looking at pretty pictures.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A good plan, have made the thread here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519611 . Let me know if I've approached this incorrectly!

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

My sister asked me a question: What is the name of a type of writing which starts and finishes with the same quotation?

It's to do with a monologue apparently and definitely has a name for that kind of style but I'm drawing a blank. Does anyone here know? Tia.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

Battle Pigeon posted:

I bought these awesome Polychromos pencils while they were on offer (ended up paying about £40):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000EWYCX0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01

Once I muster up the courage to use them, what kind of paper (or other canvas) would be best for using them with? I know nothing about different kinds of paper. Since they have oil-based lead it seems like they might need something specific, but no idea what.

I have not personally used these pencils (I use Prismacolor) but from what I understand the FC Polys blend better because they are oil based. I usually use bristol or smooth illustration board for my projects, but it depends on your style. I blend everything as much as possible and my goal is no paper showing, so the less tooth the better, but it seems like these would be more forgiving on a rougher surface. Also you don't get the wax bloom that can happen so you can layer it.

Some places will sell sample packs of paper types. I would suggest grabbing one of those and just testing them out. You can even find sample packs for artist trading cards that are cheaper than a full size paper pack.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Khisareth posted:

I have not personally used these pencils (I use Prismacolor) but from what I understand the FC Polys blend better because they are oil based. I usually use bristol or smooth illustration board for my projects, but it depends on your style. I blend everything as much as possible and my goal is no paper showing, so the less tooth the better, but it seems like these would be more forgiving on a rougher surface. Also you don't get the wax bloom that can happen so you can layer it.

Some places will sell sample packs of paper types. I would suggest grabbing one of those and just testing them out. You can even find sample packs for artist trading cards that are cheaper than a full size paper pack.

Thanks for the reply! From what you wrote, I would say I work in a similar way, but will still try them out on different surfaces. Since you use Prismacolours and they're hard to get a hold of here, would you say they live up to their hype? I often heard them talked about as if they're the best option available when it comes to coloured pencils (and markers, I guess).

Also, another question (for anyone) since you reminded me of it-for artist trading cards, do people buy specific packs/precut cards, or make their own? I've always cut my own cards to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sihastru
May 17, 2007
How dare I write anything here ?
Probably the wrong thread for this but what was the word for that mental disorder (I believe) in which people are unable to control their emotions when exposed to great works of art ? I'm sure one of you goons know what I'm talking about.