Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

I just got a 5th Gen touch (my previous one was a 2nd or 3rd gen) and I like it a lot so far.

I have one little niggling issue with album art, on albums that I have downloaded from the store, and also ones I have uploaded, the album art does not show up in the left column when you scroll through the albums.

It shows correctly in coverflow, and when playing the track, it just doesn't show as a small icon in the main list of albums.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason which albums it happens to, is there a way to refresh the album artwork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I am a little disappointed in the battery for my 7th gen iPod nano. Apple says it lasts 30 hours but I think I am on track to get about ten. I do have EQ settings on and the volume is maxed out half the time as I listen to books on the train, which is a loud environment. With those in consideration, would a shorter than advertised battery life make sense?

To get 30 hours I would image the reviewers used no EQ, halfway volume and no real changing of tracks and interactions with the player.

I am just wondering if any other nano owners have experienced something similar.

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 15, 2012

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Apple is changing the plugs on all iProducts to Lightning, does it mean there's a chance for an 8G Classic to appear?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Edminster posted:

So, I got a 4th gen Touch to take advantage of the FreedomPop sleeve, and I was wondering what the current consensus is on must-have apps for this thing. I've already been told to grab PunchQuest, and I grabbed the Chrome browser and Gmail app so I can stay connected with that, but beyond those I have no idea what I need on this.

This is my first ever Apple product, so I'm in a 'I don't know what I don't know' situation, so any help is appreciated.

In my experience Safari is much better than Chrome on iOS. It's not as fully featured but it runs much more smoothly. There is also probably a solid app substitute for almost anything you would be doing in the browser

My most used apps, in rough order. Everything is free except for Plants vs Zombies
Awful App (SA Forums reader)
Netflix
Alien Blue (Reddit reader :()
ScoreMobile (Sports scorecenter)
Facebook Messenger
Pandora (suggested music streaming /w a great library)
Online banking app
Fitocracy (fitness activity tracking with XP/social network)
Evernote (persistent notetaking/organizer)
Plants vs Zombies (game)
My girlfriend is absolutely obsessed with Sims FreePlay on her 7" tablet. It's kind of sad
Flipboard also looks pretty cool, it's an aesthetic content aggregator but it looks like it needs some heavy customization to make it as useful as it is pretty

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 15, 2012

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Call Now posted:

Apple is changing the plugs on all iProducts to Lightning, does it mean there's a chance for an 8G Classic to appear?

I mean, MAYBE, but all they would do is just change the connector.

I played with the new iPods today at the Apple Store, and they're AMAZING. I like the hardware more than the iPhone 5's.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Stupid question: Someone gave me an iPod touch 8GB and this is my first ever Apple product. If I jailbreak it, can I still use my head unit in my car? Also aside from getting the Cydia store, what advantages are there to jailbreaking? I understand for an iPhone but how about an iPod?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

b0nes posted:

Also aside from getting the Cydia store, what advantages are there to jailbreaking? I understand for an iPhone but how about an iPod?

All the same stuff...? iPod touches are literally just iPhones without the phone stuff. No calling, no GPS. All the same jailbreak stuff applies on both except stuff involving calls or GPS.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I've a new iPod Touch on its way.

I have a couple of 30pin Apple docks that I use for my current 3rd gen Touch and iPad2. It's great and convenient that I can use the same dock to sync and charge my devices.

Anyone heard when the official docks with Lightning support will come?

EDIT: Hope this is not true

LampkinsMateSteve fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 27, 2012

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I've a new iPod Touch on its way.

I have a couple of 30pin Apple docks that I use for my current 3rd gen Touch and iPad2. It's great and convenient that I can use the same dock to sync and charge my devices.

Anyone heard when the official docks with Lightning support will come?

EDIT: Hope this is not true

At this point, I would assume Apple isn't working on a dock. Just keep your eye out for third-party Lightning docks.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is there a good free way to get music off of an iPod? I remember Ephpod and Senuti used to be great, but they're both charge or recommend a different app that's charge now.

Windows would be ideal, OSX will work if not.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Krakkles posted:

Is there a good free way to get music off of an iPod? I remember Ephpod and Senuti used to be great, but they're both charge or recommend a different app that's charge now.

Windows would be ideal, OSX will work if not.

I just used CopyTrans to get some files off my 2nd generation iPod Touch. It seems to be free, so go nuts.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just upgraded from a 2nd gen Touch to a 5th gen and I'm having a problem I never experienced before. I like to manually manage my music, and now sometimes when I drag and drop new files through iTunes or delete songs off my iPod or try to make certain tag changes, it hangs on "updating files" and either takes a really long time to make the changes or it doesn't happen at all. Mind you this doesn't always happen, sometimes it goes through right away, but I'd say about half time time I try to make a change, it gets stuck.

This never happened with my 2nd gen, file transfers and tag changes were always instantaneous. Am I doing something wrong?

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 10, 2012

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I haven't noticed a problem like that yet, however I'm not using my Touch to store a lot of music at the moment, I've been using it for apps and streaming radio, mostly.

I've got a couple gigs of music, and I didn't have a problem transferring. Aside from the quirks where iTunes doesn't always like to transfer album art to (any) iPod.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Is there a decent program that allows you to change the tags of songs already on an iPod?
I know you can technically do it with iTunes itself, but it also changes the tags of the same songs in the library, which is a travesty if you need to make some quick changes to make albums sort correctly, or a thing I like to do is put a couple dozen single songs under 'misc' artist to clear up space on the artist tab for ones I actually have multiple albums for.

Winamp with ml_ipod used to be my go to, but it can't detect a 5th gen Touch (unless it can and I hosed something up)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Reive posted:

Is there a decent program that allows you to change the tags of songs already on an iPod?
I know you can technically do it with iTunes itself, but it also changes the tags of the same songs in the library, which is a travesty if you need to make some quick changes to make albums sort correctly, or a thing I like to do is put a couple dozen single songs under 'misc' artist to clear up space on the artist tab for ones I actually have multiple albums for.

Winamp with ml_ipod used to be my go to, but it can't detect a 5th gen Touch (unless it can and I hosed something up)

Mediamonkey? I haven't used it, but it's certainly popular. It might be a better long-term solution to dick around in itunes with the artist vs album artist vs sort artist tags to try to accomplish whatever it is you're looking for.

Reive
May 21, 2009

WoG posted:

Mediamonkey? I haven't used it, but it's certainly popular. It might be a better long-term solution to dick around in itunes with the artist vs album artist vs sort artist tags to try to accomplish whatever it is you're looking for.

Actually found 'TransManager' and have been using that, I recommend it to anyone who does OCD level tag adjustments.

Reive fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 21, 2012

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Girlfriend just bought me a new shuffle, and I don't give a poo poo about nor do I really use Apple products.

Is there a go-to way to just put my 2 gigabytes of mp3s on this piece and then forget about it without using iTunes? A lot of my search results turn up weird free/shareware programs and it'd be good to get a goon stamp of approval on one method.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Stew Man Chew posted:

Girlfriend just bought me a new shuffle, and I don't give a poo poo about nor do I really use Apple products.

Is there a go-to way to just put my 2 gigabytes of mp3s on this piece and then forget about it without using iTunes? A lot of my search results turn up weird free/shareware programs and it'd be good to get a goon stamp of approval on one method.
Why not just use iTunes? It's free, works great, and is dead easy (and is 100x better than it was 5 years ago). You can delete it afterwards if it upsets you for some reason. If that's not an option I remember using senuti or sentui or something like that back in the day and it worked ok.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Stew Man Chew posted:

I've not used it myself, but SharePod used to get recommended very often in the past.

If that doesn't work out, another alternative I've found is CopyTrans Manager.

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 27, 2012

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I got ahold of an iPod Touch 3rd Gen. Is there anyway to make it not dogshit slow? I'm coming from a fresh install, but its almost unusably laggy even on basic menues. I knew it wouldn't be as snappy as the new hotness, but I do think it should work better than it is.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got my girlfriend one of the new iPod Touches. iTunes is being really weird. She owns like 10 ipods now, and we haven't had any issues with moving music to and from the devices. However, she was trying to move songs she ripped from CD herself to the new ipod and it wont let her, some of the songs have this little cloud next to them. These are songs she ripped herself, not bought on iTunes store. It just refuses to let her copy her own songs to the device until she clicks the cloud, then it goes away, and then she can copy it to the ipod.

What is going on?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

gypsyshred posted:

I got ahold of an iPod Touch 3rd Gen. Is there anyway to make it not dogshit slow? I'm coming from a fresh install, but its almost unusably laggy even on basic menues. I knew it wouldn't be as snappy as the new hotness, but I do think it should work better than it is.
I have the previous gen iPod touch, don't know if that's three or four or whatever, but it's just slow. I figure it is just running an OS made for a beefier device, the iPhone.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Philthy posted:

Got my girlfriend one of the new iPod Touches. iTunes is being really weird. She owns like 10 ipods now, and we haven't had any issues with moving music to and from the devices. However, she was trying to move songs she ripped from CD herself to the new ipod and it wont let her, some of the songs have this little cloud next to them. These are songs she ripped herself, not bought on iTunes store. It just refuses to let her copy her own songs to the device until she clicks the cloud, then it goes away, and then she can copy it to the ipod.

What is going on?

Does she have iTunes Match? Typically the cloud icons are for purchases on the iTunes store. For example, during the 12 Days of Christmas last year, I got some David Guetta music videos which I never downloaded. It ends up next to my David Bowie music videos.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Not that I know of. I mean, it's possible she might have signed up for it accidentally or something. But she was adamant that the songs she was showing me were her own ripped songs. Like a CD of The Cure, all the songs were there and one of the eight songs had the cloud icon next to it. It was like this for almost every album she owns. One random song would have a cloud icon next to it for some reason.

Freaking weird, and annoying.

Mostly annoying.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
So I'm thinking about getting an Ipod Touch so I can make free wireless VOIP calls however I also would like to have something that I can use to play my audio books and music while I'm driving in the car or walking around the house/exercising.

I've always heard that it can be a pain in the rear end to back up media from other devices (such as my pc) to an Ipod Touch. Is this true or is it a relatively painless to go from PC/MP3 Players to an Ipod Touch via USB/Wireless?

edit: gently caress it, Target has an excellent return policy. I'll just pick up a touch there tomorrow and see how it works out.

edit2: I love this thing... What are the benefits of jailbreaking my Ipod?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 29, 2012

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I've got an iPod Touch 5G and am looking for a way to play 720p MKV videos (often with subtitles). I'm using AVPlayer and have closed all background apps. Other than that, I also turn off wireless. It more or less works with the occasional choppiness and subtitle lag.

Any ideas what else I can do? I'm getting pretty close to 100%

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

moflika posted:

I've got an iPod Touch 5G and am looking for a way to play 720p MKV videos (often with subtitles). I'm using AVPlayer and have closed all background apps. Other than that, I also turn off wireless. It more or less works with the occasional choppiness and subtitle lag.

Any ideas what else I can do? I'm getting pretty close to 100%

If you're on Windows, use MkvToMp4 to create iOS friendly files that can be played straight from the Videos app. It keeps the video untouched but re-encodes the audio to AAC and converts the subtitles to timed text format, which iOS uses for captioning. It works beautifully for foreign films I download.

Be aware, though, that I've seen anime watchers complain that iOS and iTunes don't support whatever fancy subtitles that anime encoding groups use, so if you watch that, you're poo poo out of luck when it comes to native iOS video capabilities.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, everything other than anime will be fine. Then again, I can't say I care much about karaoke-style subs. I'm fine with bare bones white or yellow ones. Regardless, thanks for the heads up!

edit: Tried with non-720p MKV files and it runs smooth as silk... must be a processor thing then :negative:

moflika fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 6, 2013

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

I've got a quick question. I have an older iPod and the battery has gone to poo poo and won't charge. It will now only turn on when plugged into a wall socket. Is there any way possible for me to have it plugged into the wall as well as have it plugged into my computer so I can at least transfer my music onto my hard drive? Is there any kind of adapter that would allow this?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It won't charge from USB? How old is it?

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

It's from 2004. It's an older 20GB model. It used to charge through USB, but now when I plug it in through USB it shows the battery icon with a lightning bolt on it and nothing else, the battery icon never animates like i's supposed to do when it charges. I can leave it plugged in all night and it still won't charge, even when plugged into the wall. I used to have it in my car, connected and powered through my car stereo, but I haven't used it in a looong time. I'm just hoping there's a way I can plug it into both the wall, since it works when plugged into the wall, and my computer at the same time and get the files off of it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Okay, I had this 32 gig iPod Touch 5thGen for a few weeks now, and for the most part, I'm not having much trouble with it.

Except for one thing. I use the default music playing app, and I get pretty anal with album artwork.

Usually on the normal album list, the album art shows up normally. When I play the song in question, the album art shows up fine in full size. But occasionally, when I turn the iPod 90 degrees to quickly browse all my albums by cover, some album artwork never shows up, it's just the grey square with the note icon on it. If I play that specific art-less song vertically, the album artwork shows up normally, but when I turn it 90 degrees again and simply slide to the next album, it becomes the artless grey square again.

It happened with a ripped CD not on the iTunes database which I manually had to find album art online and edit the info. It also happened with one DRM-free Humble videogame music album also. I tried editing around the info and changing to slightly different versions of the same JPG without much luck, and I get no hint at what the actual cause of the problem is. Google searching for answers didn't come up with much helpful info.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 12, 2013

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I've seen the same bug a couple times as well. I'm not sure what triggers it, but I don't recall experiencing it before iOS 6, so hopefully it's something that will just get fixed in an update.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I unfortunately had my 6th gen nano run through the washer and dryer. It didn't turn on (which of course I expected) but was still able to sync to itunes but the device still doesn't turn on. I tried holding the reset a few times up to 30 seconds and I see that putting in a bag of rice for a few days may also work but other than I'm sol right?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Guys I have a first gen iPod touch with iOS 1(was it even being called iOS back then?) and I want to get some photos and music off of it. Does anyone know of programs I could use to do this. I have a MacBook Air 13inch Mid 2011 on Lion.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Just to answer one of the questions, I believe iOS was still being called iPhone OS back then. That kinda had to go out the window by the time the iPad came around.

Trevor Weedheart
Jan 9, 2009

naruto headband rockin ice niggas
I, too, come to this thread with a sixth gen nano problem. My sleep/wake button is stuck. It has no give anymore, when I try to push down on it nothing happens. Doing some looking around on Google, the most common fix is "take it to the apple store and swap it out," which is not an option because I bought the sucker on Amazon and it's way out of warranty. Anyone else encountered/fixed this issue?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

6.1 is out, hope it manages available RAM on the 4th gen Touch a little better. Recently my 4th gen has been sluggish, even after a full wipe and Restore..

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what's the deal with cases that have magnets in them? Can I use them on my Touch 5 without problems, or will it screw it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Well, since the iPod touch uses flash memory rather than a hard drive you should be ok. That said a quick google offers plenty of anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Of course, these posts are all more than three years old so any problems may have been worked out.

• Locked thread