Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I'm glad I read this thread. Drinking a Wookey Jack right now based on the recent recommendations and it's excellent. Definitely the best black IPA I've had so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...
If your ever up in Massachusetts North Shore area check out The Ipswich Ale series by the Mercury Brewing Co. (brewed in the namesake historical seaport town)s and the Fisherman's series by Cape Ann Brewing Co.

Neither Beer will be the liquid revelation that makes vile piss-brew quaffing unbelievers fall to their knees weeping nerdy tears of joy, but they are still quite delicious and for the same price are definitely more deserving of your money than mass-market "crafts" like Blue Moon.

I love my DogfishHead-60 as well as the micros in bombers, but there comes an intersection with reality where I can't afford to have everything I drink ring in at $2.50 a pint, that's where lower priced, Quality Micros like Ipswich/Fisherman's come in for me.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Adding on to good Massachusetts brewery discussion, I went to a Cape Ann Brewery promo this past Monday and their 9% Fisherman's Dead Eye DIPA was stellar. My buddy had their Imperial Pumpkin Stout and enjoyed that too. I am going to check further into their brews for sure.

Another MA brewery I've been drinking a lot lately Jack's Abby. They specialize in German lagers, and the Oktoberfest is authentic to me and very easy to drink, along with Hoponious Union and Smoke and Dagger black lager. MA goons try these.

Also, has anyone tried BBC (Berkshire Brewing) Coffeehouse Porter on nitro? That's next on my list.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

TenaciousTomato posted:

Adding on to good Massachusetts brewery discussion, I went to a Cape Ann Brewery promo this past Monday and their 9% Fisherman's Dead Eye DIPA was stellar. My buddy had their Imperial Pumpkin Stout and enjoyed that too. I am going to check further into their brews for sure.

Another MA brewery I've been drinking a lot lately Jack's Abby. They specialize in German lagers, and the Oktoberfest is authentic to me and very easy to drink, along with Hoponious Union and Smoke and Dagger black lager. MA goons try these.

Also, has anyone tried BBC (Berkshire Brewing) Coffeehouse Porter on nitro? That's next on my list.

I've been really enjoying Jack's Abby as well- the smoke and the ham is a great Rauchbier. Other MA beers of note, CBC's Sgt. Pepper and Audacity of Hops were both enjoyable.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

I Dont Like You posted:

I really wish FW would distribute to WI as well. I know IL gets them, or at least Chicago. Would love to try Parabola, never heard a bad word about it and it's the time of the year where I just want to drink a big barrel aged stout.

You're in WI? Keep an eye out for Central Waters' yearly release of their bourbon barrel stout. I would kill orphans to get my hands on that stuff again. Central Waters doesn't distribute out of their general area though so it's basically impossible now that I'm in Portland. Speaking of Portland, APEX had Parabola on tap last weekend so I grabbed a glass. Definitely delicious if you like huuuuuuge barrel aged stouts like that.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Ubik posted:

I want to try Shakespeare Stout again sometime to see if it holds up to my idealized memories at all, but I don't even want to give them that little bit of my cash.

i'm brewing an imperial oatmeal stout soon, so i bought a bunch of oatmeal stouts i hadn't had in since i first got into beer and no, it didn't really do much for me. it's okay, i didn't have to choke it down or anything, but i wouldn't buy it again (dislike for Rogue aside).

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I live in Portland, too. There are 5 breweries in Oregon that have a long time followings here due to being some of the first on the craft brewing scene: Widmer, Bridgeport, Full Sail, Deschutes, and Rogue...

You live in Portland and don't mention Hair of the Dog?! I loving love that brewery. Fred is my favorite easily acquirable beer. Adam and Doggie Claws are top notch too. I had an '11 Bourbon Fred and while really flat it was still pretty good. I'm dying to try some of the rarer "From the Wood" beers they put out!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

swickles posted:

edit: The Funky Buddha made a collaboration with Cigar City called Snack Time! which was like a caramel, pretzel, peanut butter thing, and it was delicious. It had a saltiness that really balanced it out and made a very drinkable sweet beer. I like sweet beers, like the Creme Brulee Stout, but you can't have more than 3-4 ozs before you get diabetes. I didn't really feel that way with Snack Time!, so what I am saying is if they make it well and learn from the terribleness of Maple Bacon, than maybe it will turn out good, but I have my doubts.

I'm guessing that you maybe meant Snack Attack, by Cigar City, Funky Buddha, and Bluejacket? I didn't care for it at all, but it definitely tasted like Goobers.

OTOH the Funky Buddha Maple Bacon Coffee porter + the barrel version are both great.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 15, 2012

GOO PUNCH!!
Oct 28, 2010
I've read through a good bit of this thread, I haven't seen a single mention of Unibroue, which is odd, since they have a huge distribution and are (I think) fairly highy regarded. Fin du monde is my all-time favorite beer, and I feel that it is very faithful to the Belgian triple style at a solid price point ($7.50 for a 750ml where I live in the armpit of the deep south).

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
They are a great brewery, but usually overlooked because they are so easily available. Trois Pistoles is one of my favorite beers and Don de Dieu rivals almost any of the style.

Edit: I'm drinking an Arcadia Cocoa Loco, it's heavy on the molasses, which is weird for a "triple chocolate" stout. I'm very disappointed, I wish I had bought a 6 pack of Harpoon's Chocolate Stout for cheaper, every time I drink/smell that I am blown away with how much chocolate flavor and aroma is there.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 15, 2012

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Unibroue kind of goes without saying. Almost everything they make is top notch. That being said, La Fin du Monde is one of the first great beers I've tried that facilitated my seeking out of other beers as well.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

SketchyNick posted:

really excited for cigar city's winter seasonal six pack this year. Sugar plum brown ale....sounds fantastic.

I absolutely loved Sugar Plum last year, but it was a little divisive. It's got a boatload of spices in it.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Tigren posted:

Thank the heavens! Brown Shugga and Sucks. Both amazing, both in my life.

gently caress yeah! love me some Sucks

ChickenArise posted:

I'm guessing that you maybe meant Snack Attack, by Cigar City, Funky Buddha, and Bluejacket? I didn't care for it at all, but it definitely tasted like Goobers.

OTOH the Funky Buddha Maple Bacon Coffee porter + the barrel version are both great.

I really enjoyed it, but I had a 6oz sampler. Tasted like a tasty candybar... mmm. -air had it as well, pretty sure he liked it. What was the best of the night for you?

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 15, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Studebaker Hawk posted:

I've been really enjoying Jack's Abby as well- the smoke and the ham is a great Rauchbier. Other MA beers of note, CBC's Sgt. Pepper and Audacity of Hops were both enjoyable.

A dude on another forum I frequent raves about Night Shift Brewing. Anyone had their stuff? I'm in Boston for Christmas every year so I'll reluctantly schlep out to shithouse Everett if they're great.

I've also never had anything bad from Pretty Things.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

TenaciousTomato posted:

I've never had their Coffeehouse Porter, but I went to school out at Umass Amherst and the brewery is right near there. The first good beer I ever drank was the Berkshire Brewing Co. Steel Rail: Extra Pale Ale.

It was better than any beer I had ever tasted up to that point, I had my roommate (who was legal) pickup a half dozen varieties the next day. Their Steel Rail is still one of my favorites, and while I'm not out in that area anymore I pick some up whenever I'm out that way.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Docjowles posted:

A dude on another forum I frequent raves about Night Shift Brewing. Anyone had their stuff? I'm in Boston for Christmas every year so I'll reluctantly schlep out to shithouse Everett if they're great.

I've also never had anything bad from Pretty Things.

I think it's pretty cool that they describe each batch and their core line-up seems pretty interesting. I'd check it out myself just since they seem to care. The biggest thing against them is consistency. I've never had them, or even heard of them though, it seems as if they're still homebrewers trying to hit their mark on recipes.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 15, 2012

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

TenaciousTomato posted:

Unibroue kind of goes without saying. Almost everything they make is top notch. That being said, La Fin du Monde is one of the first great beers I've tried that facilitated my seeking out of other beers as well.

Yep, Unibroue is second only to Weihenstephaner for underrated value-priced amazing beers. Fin du Monde was my first microbrew, I had it in a bar in Beloit, WI longer ago than I care to think about. Also they make Trader Joe's Vintage Ale every year, which at <$6/bomber is one of the best beer values you can get anywhere.

My local bottle shop got three bottles of Utopias tonight. They sold two of them as one- or two-ounce tasters, with each purchase giving a raffle ticket, then raffled off the third bottle. I missed out on winning that one but did win one of the empties for my shelf. The Utopias itself is incredibly complex and interesting. The 2010 batch was really heavy on maple flavors. The new one has almost no maple, it's all molasses and burnt sugar along with great barrel complexity. It's more like the 2008 batch (which my buddy aptly described as "like eating creme brulee from a wooden spoon"), but darker and a bit more rich. Apples, licorice, leather, a bit of pine needles, dried fruits (especially raisins) and tons of other flavors play around on the palate, it's really quite something. The flavor profile changes as it goes from cold to warm, and it's tasty at any temp. If you get a chance to try it, do.

Other things I tried tonight:
3 Floyds Battle Priest, another one of their 250 bottle count things. It was way more approachable than the last experimental thing I got from them - bubble gum and baking spices and some not-unpleasant fusel notes. Not something I'd buy regularly, but it was the most complex thing of the night besides Utopias.
New Holland Pigrim's Dole Wheatwine - Interesting, but I made the mistake of trying this after a barleywine so some of the impact was lost. I'd buy a bottle if I saw it in a store, though.
Big Sky Olde Bluehair 2011 - This ain't no Moose Drool, that's for sure. It's a drat competent barleywine, less assertively hoppy than West Coast versions but more balanced than British styles. Quite good overall.
Sleepy Dog Wet Snout Milk Stout - One of the thinnest milk stouts I've had. It wasn't bad, really, just disappointingly pedestrian. This is the first Arizona-brewed beer I've had, since our distributors suck and don't get anything from them. I'd seek out more stuff from Sleepy Dog just for the novelty, but Wet Snout I'd pass on.
Cascade Noyaux - Yep, it's a Cascade sour and amazing. No shock there.
Elysian Avatar Jasmine IPA - Holy loving flowers, Batman. It's like drinking strong jasmine/chamomile tea with a slight hint of hop bitterness after the flowers stop assaulting your senses. This is in no way an IPA. It is interesting, though. I wouldn't recommend it to casual beer types, but it's a neat example of how widely beer flavors can vary.
Karl Strauss Blackball Belgian IPA - I think I've said before that in any other town Karl Strauss would be the best brewery in town, but in San Diego they're just kind of middle of the road. If everything they brewed was like Blackball, they'd be on my must-visit list. Great balance of Belgian yeast character with a very citrusy hop bill, perfect malt balance...this one I could down a few bottles of no problem. Seek it out if you can.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 15, 2012

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Sublimer posted:

You live in Portland and don't mention Hair of the Dog?! I loving love that brewery. Fred is my favorite easily acquirable beer. Adam and Doggie Claws are top notch too. I had an '11 Bourbon Fred and while really flat it was still pretty good. I'm dying to try some of the rarer "From the Wood" beers they put out!

I love Hair of the Dog, too, but they are quite different from the other 5 breweries I mentioned. HotD never got nearly as big as Widmer, Full Sail, Deschutes, Bridgeport, or Rogue. They've been a beer nerd's brewery since they started and have never really tried to appeal to a wide audience. As such, they haven't had some of the difficulties that other old breweries have had. Of course, it helps that their original beer, Adam, is still as good and relevant today as it probably was in 1993.

BTW, if you get the chance to try some older Fred, jump on it. I recently had some from a magnum that was released in 2006 and it was terrific.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Holy poo poo, this year's Cigar City Warmer Winter Winter Warmer is off the chain. I hadn't been the biggest fan of this beer the past two years, but it might just be I'm more used to high-gravity ales now. Huge English style caramel/toffee malts and dark fruits that really come together to give a sort of fruitcake feel, but with a massive amount of candied American-style citrus and piney hops. It's a sipper for sure, I popped the 750ml three hours ago, and I've still got a 7 oz snifter full. I'm enjoying every sip though, it doesn't seem quite as overwhelmingly sweet as the past couple years have been.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

bartolimu posted:

Yep, Unibroue is second only to Weihenstephaner for underrated value-priced amazing beers. Fin du Monde was my first microbrew, I had it in a bar in Beloit, WI longer ago than I care to think about. Also they make Trader Joe's Vintage Ale every year, which at <$6/bomber is one of the best beer values you can get anywhere.

Agreed here. I'm sad to report that the availability of high quality tripels is pretty dismal in Texas, but we do get De Garre and recently, Unibroue Eau Benite, another phenomenal example of the style. But of course, it was overlooked and sat around on taps for longer than I'd expected. Only $5 a glass = more for me, I guess.

Got a bottle of the Mint Chocolate Stout and I plan to pick up more since I bet this'll taste great when it actually gets pretty cold outside. Loved the smell and I liked the mint was present but in a subtle, not-so forward way. Reminded me of a thin mint. One of the better Stone collabs for sure.

e: I don't think anyone brought up this WSJ article ranting about craft beer as a trend. I get that you're sick of it, but basically the author's just admitting being proud of his ignorance. Anyway, I got the same sort of vibe reading a different one this morning. Definitely a more eloquent way of addressing where things are going as more and more people get into craft. I'm also just counting down on the inevitable photoshop of that top photo with all the brewers into the last supper.

air- fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 15, 2012

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

He sounds like the old guy in the local/rural newspaper who's had a column for 30 years, and is running out of things to talk about. Kind of a "KIDS THESE DAYS" thing. I'd wager he'd be easier to ignore than respond to/pay attention to.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

As for the NBC San Diego article, well no duh there's going to be a shakedown sooner or later. I really enjoy local beer, but really does San Diego county need 60 breweries?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

air- posted:

e: I don't think anyone brought up this WSJ article ranting about craft beer as a trend. I get that you're sick of it, but basically the author's just admitting being proud of his ignorance. Anyway, I got the same sort of vibe reading a different one this morning. Definitely a more eloquent way of addressing where things are going as more and more people get into craft. I'm also just counting down on the inevitable photoshop of that top photo with all the brewers into the last supper.

When someone is your hero for loving something terrible, you should really consider raising your "hero" bar.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Some great stuff coming out soon in NC -

Olde Hickory Event Horizon - 11/19 - 11/2x - distributed, so it'll hit on a range of dates, 11/19 is the earliest I've seen.

Mother Earth Silent Night - 12/1 at the brewery and limited distribution.

Olde Rabbits Foot - 12/8 at Foothills and very limited distribution.

And World Of Beers in Raleigh has their 1 year anniversary this Sat. starting at noon and are having a Bell's 30 tap takeover. Some notable stuff on their rare kegs list:
  • 2011 Expedition Stout
  • La Batteur
  • Rye Stout
  • Smoked Vienna Lager
  • Golden Rye
  • Debs' Red
  • Black Note
  • Sparkling Ale
  • This One Goes to 11
  • BBA 9000
  • Consecrator Dopplebock
  • 2011 Cherry Stout
  • Surprise on Day of Event

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Retemnav posted:

And World Of Beers in Raleigh has their 1 year anniversary this Sat. starting at noon and are having a Bell's 30 tap takeover. Some notable stuff on their rare kegs list:
  • 2011 Expedition Stout
  • La Batteur
  • Rye Stout
  • Smoked Vienna Lager
  • Golden Rye
  • Debs' Red
  • Black Note
  • Sparkling Ale
  • This One Goes to 11
  • BBA 9000
  • Consecrator Dopplebock
  • 2011 Cherry Stout
  • Surprise on Day of Event

Wow. What surprise could top that?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Speaking of the recent BBA Bell's stuff:

(emphasis mine)

quote:

NOVEMBER 26 -27. Bell’s Brewery is invading both Jerry’s Wicker Park and Andersonville with seasonal beers, super-rare offerings, and Bell’s staff onsite to talk all things beer.

Monday, Nov 26th at Wicker Park
Bourbon Barrel Aged Batch 9000
This One Goes To 11 Double IPA
Special Double Cream Stout
Christmas Ale
Winter White
Two Hearted

Tuesday, Nov 27th at Andersonville
Bourbon Barrel Aged Cherry Stout
This One Goes To 11 Double IPA
Expedition Stout
Third Coast Old Ale
Special Double Cream Stout

http://jerryssandwiches.com/?p=1555

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Speaking of the recent BBA Bell's stuff:

(emphasis mine)

http://jerryssandwiches.com/?p=1555

I saw this... and I need to stop making all of my social outings revolve around beer....

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I was going to be hitting up Bells today, but they took BBA 9000 off the tap list a few days ago. its a really really excellent beer, and that is coming from someone who isn't even that found of stouts or bourdon barrel aging. I'm really glad I was able to get it in bottles.

The BBA Cherry Stout is a little meh.

This post comes to you from the Founders taproom. :smugdog:

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

danbanana posted:

I saw this... and I need to stop making all of my social outings revolve around beer....

Shane and I went to Jerry's the other day for a Half Acre Vallejo cask tapping. It's a nice place but pretty expensive. Also they have no idea what temperature to serve their beers at.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

SUPER HASSLER posted:

As for the NBC San Diego article, well no duh there's going to be a shakedown sooner or later. I really enjoy local beer, but really does San Diego county need 60 breweries?

"'The good [brewers] in it for the right reasons will stick around,' reassured Jack White Jr. of Ballast Point Brewing Company."

This is pretty much the answer to potential oversaturation. Also, SD County is a Big loving Area which, between the whole county (which is really how San Diegans think of 'the city,' a complete lack of decent public transit tends to do that to a place) and Tijuana, equals over 5 million people.

I'm not saying that all 60 should stay in business - there's a few which have gotten out ahead of the rest and if they started today would be in trouble (Coronado & Mission, to name a few) - but perhaps the more appropriate way to think of this is that SD can likely handle 40 breweries that are GOOD, and not the 60+ we have or will have. The cream will rise to the top, and the rest will flutter away like they should.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Paul Proteus posted:

Shane and I went to Jerry's the other day for a Half Acre Vallejo cask tapping. It's a nice place but pretty expensive. Also they have no idea what temperature to serve their beers at.

I've been to the Wicker Park location a few times (the last with crazyfish for a Black Note tapping) and one of the resonant memories was ordering an Expedition stout (lots of Bell's drinkin' over there...) and getting a Kalamazoo. They comp'd the beer, so it was cool, but yes, their staff hasn't been shown to be particular knowledgeable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

"'The good [brewers] in it for the right reasons will stick around,' reassured Jack White Jr. of Ballast Point Brewing Company."

This is pretty much the answer to potential oversaturation. Also, SD County is a Big loving Area which, between the whole county (which is really how San Diegans think of 'the city,' a complete lack of decent public transit tends to do that to a place) and Tijuana, equals over 5 million people.

I'm not saying that all 60 should stay in business - there's a few which have gotten out ahead of the rest and if they started today would be in trouble (Coronado & Mission, to name a few) - but perhaps the more appropriate way to think of this is that SD can likely handle 40 breweries that are GOOD, and not the 60+ we have or will have. The cream will rise to the top, and the rest will flutter away like they should.

Coronado Brewing hating up in here. I like Coronado well enough. Their IPAs are pretty good and I like their limited stuff well enough too. Sure, they've got crappy light fare for craft-beer phobics, but so do a lot of places.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My city of ~140,000 has something like 10 breweries, with more planned to open. Per capita, we're even crazier than SD :v:

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Coronado Brewing hating up in here. I like Coronado well enough. Their IPAs are pretty good and I like their limited stuff well enough too. Sure, they've got crappy light fare for craft-beer phobics, but so do a lot of places.

I haven't had a single beer from them which at least three places in town have a better take on. I'm not expecting each place to be the most avant garde stylistically, but everything from them gives me that 'meh' feeling.

Their new bottle/packaging art is outstanding, though. I'll give them that, and that will sell some bottles here and there. Being the only brewery on the island helps too, and gives them a leg up when it comes to saturation.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

I haven't had a single beer from them which at least three places in town have a better take on. I'm not expecting each place to be the most avant garde stylistically, but everything from them gives me that 'meh' feeling.

Their new bottle/packaging art is outstanding, though. I'll give them that, and that will sell some bottles here and there. Being the only brewery on the island helps too, and gives them a leg up when it comes to saturation.

I don't get that attitude at all; not everything is a competition. Islander is pretty good and their Coffee Stout is pretty good as well; they've got interesting stuff at their brewpub too that I think is quite good.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

as long your anti-social outings don't revolve around beer, you're good

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Docjowles posted:

My city of ~140,000 has something like 10 breweries, with more planned to open. Per capita, we're even crazier than SD :v:

If my thread searching is accurate, you're in Ft. Collins...between New Belgium and downtown Denver that's looking like a 75 minute drive...about 10 minutes more than between Stone and Alpine.

I'll reiterate the geographic spread of the area, it really keeps it from feeling like we're overrun with breweries. Yes, certain corridors feel like beer districts, but Pizza Port Ocean Beach, PP Carlsbad, Stone and Alpine are really at all four corners of the populated area of the county. It makes beer tourism a bit of a pain in the rear end for people (again, lovely public transit), but also helps people lay claim to neighborhood brewery pride.

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't get that attitude at all; not everything is a competition. Islander is pretty good and their Coffee Stout is pretty good as well; they've got interesting stuff at their brewpub too that I think is quite good.

...and this is why we're not oversaturated, there's enough divergent opinions on what's good around here to keep people from flocking to less than a dozen places :)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The reason why very few people feel like SD is overrun with breweries is the fact that the well known breweries like Stone, Ballast Point, Alesmith, Karl Strauss, Green Flash, etc. tower over the small ones to the point most people don't even know those breweries are in town.

The only one of these new breweries that's making a dent in our taplists is Societe. I've never even seen some of these other breweries outside of their garage operations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Seriously. Very Mad Cow/Bean Gene at Revolution tomorrow night, Velvet Merkin at Smallbar Division on Tuesday, Black Friday at Binny's LP, the BCBS tasting at Goose Clybourn on the same day, the Jerry's Bell's tappings, Zwanze day, the list goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Seriously. Very Mad Cow/Bean Gene at Revolution tomorrow night, Velvet Merkin at Smallbar Division on Tuesday, Black Friday at Binny's LP, the BCBS tasting at Goose Clybourn on the same day, the Jerry's Bell's tappings, Zwanze day, the list goes on.

Now it sounds like we're just bragging! Also, Marion Cheese Shop is doing a FW beer dinner sometime in December. No menu yet but it's across the street from me.

New Years Resolution: a budget on beer. Until then...