Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There are a lot of factors. How much reading do you do in the dark? Do you need audiobook compatibility? Do you read a lot of PDFs? etc.

Also, my paperwhite SHOULD be here tomorrow and I've already amassed a huge backlog of books in anticipation. I hope I didn't set myself up for failure :q:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Loving my paperwhite so far. It's a very nice upgrade from the OG Kindle. I can safely recommend the official case as well, it doesn't add any bulk at all, fits extremely well, and feels good in the hand.

I think I'll need to finally charge it next week though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PirateDentist posted:

Loving my paperwhite so far. It's a very nice upgrade from the OG Kindle. I can safely recommend the official case as well, it doesn't add any bulk at all, fits extremely well, and feels good in the hand.

I think I'll need to finally charge it next week though.

Gonna second all of this except that I came from a second generation Kindle and I've charged it a couple times since I got mine at launch.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Gonna second all of this except that I came from a second generation Kindle and I've charged it a couple times since I got mine at launch.

Do you leave your WiFi on or off? I keep mine off except to sync for new stuff once a week, and leave the brightness on 5 or so.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tasoth posted:

With Christmas coming up, I'm thinking about getting an E-Reader since I sure do love books but don't have the space for all of them. I read the OP and from that would go with a Nook since I can hit the library up with it, but I'm interested in the opinions of people who know their poo poo when it comes to electronics.

OP is waaaaay out of date.

Overdrive (which is the online system all the libraries use) added Kindle support awhile ago.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Unless you're in Canada, in which case you will either need to use Calibre + plugins to strip the DRM from your Overdrive borrowed material and convert it to .mobi, or you will want to get a Kobo or something more compatible with our dumb Overdrive situation.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Sporadic posted:

OP is waaaaay out of date.

Yes it is. I actually should have time this week to update it, so I'll try and do that. If anyone wants to contributes section just post here or PM me.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Martytoof posted:

There are a lot of factors. How much reading do you do in the dark? Do you need audiobook compatibility? Do you read a lot of PDFs? etc.

Also, my paperwhite SHOULD be here tomorrow and I've already amassed a huge backlog of books in anticipation. I hope I didn't set myself up for failure :q:

I do reading when ever I can. Usually I use a light, but I will read in the dark if there if it isn't too dark. PDF and other file support is something I do definitely want. Not really in need of a audiobook capability. Part of my enjoyment of reading is actually reading.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You may want to take a look and see what your library actually has available as far as e-books go to get a feeling if what you would want to check out is available. Also if you have Amazon Prime you get access to the Kindle lending library which I've found to have a much better selection of new books than any local library, but you are limited to one per month.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Partly as a reply to Tasoth, but partly a trip report:

Well I just got my Paperwhite and it's literally the device I've been dreaming of.

I'm reading regular PDF tech books with little to no (emphasis on "to no) problems, the screen refresh is really fast even after I turned on refresh-every-page.

I also got what appears to be a good copy screen since the only irregularity is the cones of light at the bottom which really can't be helped. No colour blotches or anything.

Very nice. I would recommend it to anyone. I'll take a few photos of it displaying some technical PDFs later or any other requests if anyone has any. So far though, it's fantastic.

Only thing that weirded me out was that it didn't auto-set the time when it connected to wifi. Seems like a linux-101 thing to include in your product but whatever.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Martytoof posted:

Very nice. I would recommend it to anyone. I'll take a few photos of it displaying some technical PDFs later or any other requests if anyone has any. So far though, it's fantastic.

Could you take a picture of (http://johnaugust.com/downloads_ripley/big-fish.pdf) on it?

I have a first generation DX but I'm curious to see how the Paperwhite will perform with that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sure, any specific page you'd like me to compare for you?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Martytoof posted:

Sure, any specific page you'd like me to compare for you?

Just page 3 (out of 124) would be fine.

On my old Kindle 4, PDFs of that nature were unreadable unless you went to landscape mode (which took 4 page turns to read one page)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here's page 3 with the light at 0, contrast is set to Medium:

Here's page 3 with the light at 14, contrast is set to Max:

I have a few others in here, the light at 0% but contrast set to high, but honestly I forgot which of these remaining photos is which so I'll retake them if you want to see this in any other configuration of light/contrast. I didn't take a photo with the light set to max because to be honest it looks garish and I don't like the colour once you push past 14-20. That's my moleskine notebook next to the kindle for a small point of comparison.

So yeah, while my opinion of what is "readable" might be different than everyone else's, I wouldn't hesitate to read something like that on the small high-ppi screen that the PW offers. All the letters are really crisp and clear, and the only issue would be if someone had poor eyesight which prevented them from reading small letters. Personally I found it 100% readable. At half arm's length (the distance I'd be reading normally anyway) they're clear as anything I've ever read in a paper book. At an arm's length away the text is still really clear and crisp, but my mind has a hard time scanning the text because it's getting too small.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 6, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm like 90% sure this one is Light 0, contrast Max:

Which would make this Light 10, contrast Med:

(sorry the lighting isn't scientific. I just thumbed the light slider until it was roughly in the same place, but unfortunately I didn't take them both at 14 or 10)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 6, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I just updated the OP (which was just really out of date), please feel free to read through and see if everything reads well. I kept it pretty bare bones this time around.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
I'm a cheapass and didn't want to pay $40 for the official case, but I really hate the cases that use a band on each corner to hold the Kindle PW. I ended up finding this one which was buried in the plethora of lovely third party Kindle paperwhite cases. It also has the auto sleep/wake feature when you open the cover.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062IPIPQ/

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Duckman2008 posted:

Please feel free to read through and see if everything reads well.

Well, for what it's worth, two reviews of Kobo's newest offerings.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/kobo-glo-review/
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/06/kobo-mini-review/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The first update for the Paperwhite is out - you can now hide the recommendations and get two rows on the first page :woop:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201063560

Clarence
May 3, 2012

repiv posted:

The first update for the Paperwhite is out

Thanks for that - I hadn't realised it was available.

After a couple of weeks with my Paperwhite, it's definitely been the right choice over a tablet or non-lit version. Being able to read with the lights out on a night does a lot for marital harmony!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Clarence posted:

Thanks for that - I hadn't realised it was available.

After a couple of weeks with my Paperwhite, it's definitely been the right choice over a tablet or non-lit version. Being able to read with the lights out on a night does a lot for marital harmony!
If you've bothered to jailbreak your PW, avoid this update for the time being. It does a full system flash and wipes out all the custom scripts and whatnot, plus patches the current exploit and you'll lose your pretty screen savers. Not a big deal, but since I spent a couple hours making some fun PW screensavers, I'm gonna hold off for a bit.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

quote:

Smoother sample-to-book experience: When you buy the book after reading the sample, we will now automatically start the book at your last reading location in the sample and remove the sample from your Kindle.

Nice, always wondered why they don't do this. Hopefully this will find its way onto other models.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
So it seems that Sentinel 3 is on sale for a buck. Worth it?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dont believe the Amazon website. I ordered a Paperwhite on November 2nd, fully expecting it not to arrive until December 12-20. (Because thats what the website is saying.)

Yeah, it shipped last night and will arrive on Monday.

:crossarms:

I guess its possible that they saw my order history and hooked me up cause I'm a huge customer of theirs, but who knows. I also got the 3G version with no ads, so I suppose they might not be as back-ordered on that version than the others.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 9, 2012

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Dont believe the Amazon website. I ordered a Paperwhite on November 2nd, fully expecting it not to arrive until December 12-20. (Because thats what the website is saying.)

Yeah, it shipped last night and will arrive on Monday.

:crossarms:

I guess its possible that they saw my order history and hooked me up cause I'm a huge customer of theirs, but who knows. I also got the 3G version with no ads, so I suppose they might not be as back-ordered on that version than the others.

Amazon tends to be very conservative in their shipping estimates. Probably 90% of the stuff I've ordered that's not in stock shipped much earlier than they said it would.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
How good is the Nook Glowlight, compared to the Paperwhite?

Or the iRiver Story HD? I know this one doesn't have the frontlight, but I accidentally smashed my kindle with keyboard and I just want a good ereader :(

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 11, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think this is a decent comparison, though I'm sure there is room for argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adLtTKy56X0

edit: To continue the PDF on Paperwhite discussion, I've been reading this O'Reilly PDF on my PW and it is literally as readable as any native Mobi document. The fonts are a slight big smaller and there are extraneous margins that could be cropped out for more screen real-estate, but it's 100% readable and I've been reading it every night for days now.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=HSh...0sample&f=false

So I don't mean to go on about it or anything, but I am seriously thoroughly impressed with the PW as a PDF reader. I was worried before I bought it, but it's been quick and reliable so far. I would recommend its PDF capabilities to anyone.

A lot of people are complaining about PDF out of memory errors on their PW, however, which might give people pause. I haven't run into one of these yet, but it's entirely possible that that is a thing I might encounter at some point.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 11, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Martytoof posted:

I think this is a decent comparison, though I'm sure there is room for argument.

They got one thing factually wrong. They state that they think B&N has abandoned their eink line of readers because that the Simple Touch with Glowlite is "almost a year old." That's not really true at all, it came out at the end of May. B&N has always followed a late spring, early summer refresh cycle for their eink ereaders.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah sorry I hadn't watched that in a few days and I forgot they mentioned that. I think it's a decent comparison of the three lit readers, but beyond that take what you hear with a grain of salt.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Martytoof posted:

That video only makes me want to get a PW, but they want so much for it on eBay :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean it's really worth every penny I paid for it. Depending on where you are in the world there's a chance that Overdrive or your local library won't support Kindles, but if you're okay with that (and Amazon's selection in your country OR converting eBooks using Calibre) then I seriously can't recommend it enough.

Can you use a package forwarding service and just order it from Amazon yourself? Something like http://www.shipito.com/ (though I'm not endorsing it, that's just the first one that came up on google).

I got a friend in the USA to re-ship one to me in Canada and it was worth the extra $25 to get it nice and early compared to when I'm sure Canada will be getting theirs.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Call Now posted:

How good is the Nook Glowlight, compared to the Paperwhite?

Or the iRiver Story HD? I know this one doesn't have the frontlight, but I accidentally smashed my kindle with keyboard and I just want a good ereader :(

From trying the Glowlight in the store, the lighting is a little more uneven than the PW. The PW also has a higher resolution screen than the current Nooks.

I wish B+N would roll out some new firmware updates already. There's some annoying bugs that are getting on my nerves on the NST. You still can't look up hyphenated words in the dictionary, footnote links positioned near the corner edges can sometimes be impossible to click, and when you use the upper left icon to return to reading from browsing the store or settings, it will sometimes place your position at the beginning of the book.

And I really wish there was a toggle for the partial screen refreshes, mine still seems to suffer from ghosting.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 12, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually set my PW to refresh after every page. It's really quick and not really any more annoying than the page flip animation on my iPad.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
I don't really mind the slight ghosting I get, it reminds me of real books! :3:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I ordered the Paperweight, thanks Martytoof. :) Now only a month and a half of waiting left :(

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Call Now posted:

I ordered the Paperweight, thanks Martytoof. :) Now only a month and a half of waiting left :(

They shipped mine in 8 days, I got it last Monday. The going theory is that they don't want to over promise and under deliver. Hopefully you'll get yours quicker than the estimated ship date.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No problem, hope you love it as much as I do!

Hope you get a good screen model too :ohdear:

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I was hesitant to buy a Paperwhite because I had just upgraded to the Touch like a year ago but... holy poo poo am I glad I did. I love the screen, the slight res increase, the official case...

It's even more booklike now with the official case's "turn on when you open it, turn off when you're done" action.

It's a bit of a decision if you're on the Touch, but if you're on any earlier version of the Kindle the upgrade is a no-brainer.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
For those of you who want the book close turn off feature of the regular case but don't want to pay $40:
http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Paperwhite-Resolution-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B0062IPIPQ

$13, latches magnetically, secures the Paperwhite well, and activates its magnet sensor to turn off when closed and turn on when opened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

How's the battery life on the Paperwhite? My mother is claiming hers drains far faster than her Touch, like needing a recharge every few days vs once a week. I told her to report it to Amazon, because they're claiming same or better battery life on the PW.