Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entr0py
Jan 31, 2004

A real-life robot.

astr0man posted:

ZFS on linux works fine now, I just moved from openindiana to ubuntu server on my home server a few weeks ago with no issues. As long as your zpool version on is still v28. If you've done a zpool upgrade recently though you won't be able to migrate because the openindiana zpool version shows up as version 5000 since they are moving to a new versioning system instead of the numbering system.

Good to hear, I'm still on v28 so it'll hopefully be smooth for me as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
i bought a clearstream 2 because of it's ~*indoor antenna*~ marketing and picked up got absolutely NOTHING. you must need to live in a new subdivision without any trees to pick up a signal indoors.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

wolfbiker posted:

i bought a clearstream 2 because of it's ~*indoor antenna*~ marketing and picked up got absolutely NOTHING. you must need to live in a new subdivision without any trees to pick up a signal indoors.
You aimed it right?

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)
Putting together an HTPC & NAS solution. I'll post the build for critiquing when I've got everything nailed down, but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out controls. Right now I'm not sure I see a need for a Hauppage tuner, but I still like the idea of using a remote to control XBMC most of the time. Is this practical? I have an old Logitech Harmony 300, but I don't know how to get the IR into the HTPC and Newegg's search menu is not being very helpful.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MrFurious posted:

Putting together an HTPC & NAS solution. I'll post the build for critiquing when I've got everything nailed down, but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out controls. Right now I'm not sure I see a need for a Hauppage tuner, but I still like the idea of using a remote to control XBMC most of the time. Is this practical? I have an old Logitech Harmony 300, but I don't know how to get the IR into the HTPC and Newegg's search menu is not being very helpful.

Buy something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY

The IR receiver will work with the Harmony unless they've changed things.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Thermopyle posted:

Buy something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY

The IR receiver will work with the Harmony unless they've changed things.

That will work, but this is even cheaper at only $1.20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IR-Wireless...=item337a6920e9

Ive used one of these with an HTPC and a boxee box with no issues.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a MCE IR receiver that is like those micro bluetooth adapters? I have a spare USB port right on the front of my HTPC, and the other one has the bluetooth adapter in it that's the size of the port, and only a few millimeters out from the port. Seeing as I also have a Logitech remote, I don't need a remote for it (although if it's inexpensive enough, I guess it won't hurt).

tasslex
Apr 23, 2003

He's watching YOU

HTPC experts, are there any good options for voice control in this space? I currently have a Windows 7 box run via Wireless Keyboard/Mouse and Explorer+MPC-HC, I'm very pleased with the setup but I feel like since it's 2012 I want to say "Computer, play Star Trek Deep Space 9 Season 4 Episode 1" or "Show me all Albums by Cake" and have it make my dreams come true. Some cursory googling isn't showing me as much as I thought - VoxCommando looks kinda interesting so I'll try that sometime this week, otherwise I'd be curious what anyone else has setup for this.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Sporadic posted:

If you don't mind spending more, you can get a Zotac Nano for $199 with free 64GB SSD. It also comes with little remote control.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173027

Thank you for recommending this. Got it set up with OpenELEC over the weekend, and it is really really awesome.

I tried Ubuntu & XBMC first, but the performance for 1080p was pretty poo poo. I was trying Ubuntu 12.10 and it sounds like there are some issues with the AMD drivers, and I didn't really feel like spending a lot of time trying to get it to work so...

So I tried OpenELEC instead, and found the AMD Fusion build of OpenELEC performs waaaay better, 1080p was no problem for it. Had to tweak a config file to get the analog sound jack to work, everything else worked just fine. I can even power it on and off with the remote!

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

fletcher posted:

Thank you for recommending this. Got it set up with OpenELEC over the weekend, and it is really really awesome.

I tried Ubuntu & XBMC first, but the performance for 1080p was pretty poo poo. I was trying Ubuntu 12.10 and it sounds like there are some issues with the AMD drivers, and I didn't really feel like spending a lot of time trying to get it to work so...

So I tried OpenELEC instead, and found the AMD Fusion build of OpenELEC performs waaaay better, 1080p was no problem for it. Had to tweak a config file to get the analog sound jack to work, everything else worked just fine. I can even power it on and off with the remote!

Just a note on this. I think it has to do with the hardware acceleration that's built in to XMBC. I had issues with HD playback as well when I was trying non-OpenELEC options even though Ubuntu claimed to have my video drivers all up-to-date and whatnot. The Fusion option for OpenELEC has XVBA built-in, but I guess a vanilla install of XBMC doesn't? The wiki contains a page about installing XBMC with XVBA in it right here. When I used that particular version of XBMC my playback issues were solved.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Crumps Brother posted:

Just a note on this. I think it has to do with the hardware acceleration that's built in to XMBC. I had issues with HD playback as well when I was trying non-OpenELEC options even though Ubuntu claimed to have my video drivers all up-to-date and whatnot. The Fusion option for OpenELEC has XVBA built-in, but I guess a vanilla install of XBMC doesn't? The wiki contains a page about installing XBMC with XVBA in it right here. When I used that particular version of XBMC my playback issues were solved.

Ahhh, thank you for the additional information. I can't believe that wiki page didn't come up in all my googling over the weekend. I may have to give it another go then when I have some time to futz with it, would be nice to have a full OS on it. Is that extra stuff likely to get incorporated into the main XBMC build any time soon?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So I'm trying to come up with a cheap combo box for my girlfriends place. Her needs are pretty basic so I was just going to setup an HTPC/File Server with some spare drives I have kicking around since she likes to archive some things.

Any suggestions on hardware? I am pretty outdated on anything except high end gaming crap and enterprise server hardware these days. Needs to be powerful enough to handle XBMC, Sickbeard, display 1080p video and the hardware has to accommodate 4 hard drives. I am totally lost in a sea of options. I was thinking just any mini tower case without bling but I have no clue on the CPU/Mobo combo.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

So I'm trying to come up with a cheap combo box for my girlfriends place. Her needs are pretty basic so I was just going to setup an HTPC/File Server with some spare drives I have kicking around since she likes to archive some things.

Any suggestions on hardware? I am pretty outdated on anything except high end gaming crap and enterprise server hardware these days. Needs to be powerful enough to handle XBMC, Sickbeard, display 1080p video and the hardware has to accommodate 4 hard drives. I am totally lost in a sea of options. I was thinking just any mini tower case without bling but I have no clue on the CPU/Mobo combo.

HP N40L with an HDMI video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107052

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-150-567

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately I am up in Canada where the 40L costs 2-3x (after taxes and shipping) what it does in the US :(

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
What's the best buy in 2012 for a machine to run Sickbeard/Couchpotato and download all day - then allow streaming onto my laptop/ipad/etc?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Heisenberg1276 posted:

What's the best buy in 2012 for a machine to run Sickbeard/Couchpotato and download all day - then allow streaming onto my laptop/ipad/etc?

HP n40l.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Heisenberg1276 posted:

I just have an old HP Mini 1000 netbook attached to my network with a bunch of external HDDs hooked up to it. Works like a dream and was magnificently cheap, but a little "ghetto." I just hid it behind closed doors in my media cabinet and control everything via remote access from my laptop.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

quote:

SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum skin reinforced plastic front panel, 0.8mm SECC body MILO Series ML03B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163174

Intel Pentium G630 Sandy Bridge 2.7GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G630
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116406

MSI B75MA-E33 LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130654

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

Kingston HyperX Blu 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9AD3B1/2G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104219

4X - SilenX EFX-08-12 80mm Case Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226033

Total - $265

What do you guys think of this as a HTPC? With the XMBC android remote app it does not look like I have any need for an actual remote. The most I expect the machine to handle is any 1080p video I throw at it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You probably don't need to add any fans.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can anyone recommend a NAS that can do at least 6tb, 1000mbit for 3d 1080p, and can be ordered or picked up at a Canadian retailer ? I'm in a remote area of Canada, so shipping from the USA gets very expensive after brokerage fees.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I don't know what changed between the Netflix website and the Netflix Windows 8 app but my Zotac Nano with E-350 can now play HD video from it. It's fantastic.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sporadic posted:

I don't know what changed between the Netflix website and the Netflix Windows 8 app but my Zotac Nano with E-350 can now play HD video from it. It's fantastic.
Netflix website uses silverlight. The app is probably using h264 video.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Forgive me if it has already been posted somewhere in this thread, but has anyone seen Intel's new Next Unit of Computing platform?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6444/intels-next-unit-of-computing-hands-on

It's a 4"x4"x2" puck that has a ULV Core i3, up to 16 gigs of DDR3, integrated HD4000 graphics, and support for a half height AND a full height mini PCIe cards. This thing seems like an amazing HTPC waiting to happen with it's HDMI outputs and (depending on which variant) GigE network or thunderbolt.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

jonathan posted:

Can anyone recommend a NAS that can do at least 6tb, 1000mbit for 3d 1080p, and can be ordered or picked up at a Canadian retailer ? I'm in a remote area of Canada, so shipping from the USA gets very expensive after brokerage fees.

I have a qnap nas that has 4 drive bays and two gig interfaces. It is a bit more pricey than some of the other options out there but I can't say I've ever regretted buying it. The one I bought is like their ts-419, then you just buy whatever drives you want. Pretty sure you can get that in ca.

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I'm looking to extend my gaming PC in my office to my living room TV. The distance shouldn't be more than 50 feet, and would need to include video, audio, and USB (kb/m).

I've looked at a few options so far, such as wireless HDMI, HDMI-CAT6 converters, and thick 24AWG HDMI, but I'm not hugely technical so I can get lost in the details. One thing I'm unsure about is whether my Sapphire HD 6850 HDMI-out will carry computer audio with it. I'm guessing no, so that's another cable to run. Do you guys have any tips on reliable methods for this setup that might not cost a small fortune? Or, if this is the wrong thread, would you be so kind to point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sporadic posted:

Yeah, I was playing with it on my desktop and the website uses ~10% CPU and the app uses about 1% playing the same thing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm about to replace my Boxee and my other xbmc box with a mini PC, set up as an xbmc appliance. I'm going to do two of them. Is the zotac still the best option ?
Which zotac box is the best one ? Smooth snappy interface and 1080p 3d ability are my primary concerns.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

jonathan posted:

I'm about to replace my Boxee and my other xbmc box with a mini PC, set up as an xbmc appliance. I'm going to do two of them. Is the zotac still the best option ?
Which zotac box is the best one ? Smooth snappy interface and 1080p 3d ability are my primary concerns.

AD10 or AD12 should both work fine. AD12 is marginally faster, supports 8gb ram and has front usb ports.

Are you talking 3d as in you are doing SBS rips or are you wanting to get a bluray drive and play 3d blurays?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Don Lapre posted:

AD10 or AD12 should both work fine. AD12 is marginally faster, supports 8gb ram and has front usb ports.

Are you talking 3d as in you are doing SBS rips or are you wanting to get a bluray drive and play 3d blurays?

SBS rips. 3d bluray is handled by a Sony player. Also forgot to mention I will be using nas for storage, so if I can boot xbmc via a USB drive or something and skip installing a hard drive that would be fine. Is that possible with an ad12 ?

Is there a big difference between the ad12 and ID12 ? Do either of these have issues with 23.978hz playback going out of sync like some of the Intel i5 setups ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 12, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

jonathan posted:

SBS rips. 3d bluray is handled by a Sony player. Also forgot to mention I will be using nas for storage, so if I can boot xbmc via a USB drive or something and skip installing a hard drive that would be fine. Is that possible with an ad12 ?

Yes, you can use the Fusion builds of openelec or a linux and run it off an sd card or usb stick.

The AD10 works fine for 1080p SBS rips so the ad12 should as well.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I have a choice of an Apple TV 2 or a d2plug.

Which would be the best for a htpc? The ATV2 can't do 1080p, right? The d2plug can, but I haven't been able to find information about running xmbc or anything on it.

Or has there been a decent hack for the Apple TV 3?

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I'm looking to replace my cable box/dvr. Anyone have any good websites for this? I've been google'ing it and all the links are like 3 years old. Whats the go to site for building this setup and picking a good TV Tuner card/etc?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone had a problem with their HTPC kicking out a signal that takes their receiver offline? It seems to be getting worse for me. I used to get it every so often (but not regularly) when it was an old NVIDIA card and taking the audio via spdif, both of which were plugged into the receiver, now I have an AMD card that has HDMI out so I use that instead.

XBMC seems to be the biggest offender but I'm not convinced it's the sole culprit. I'll be watching something, hear a big pop out of the speakers then the amp shuts down flashing red powerlight. Doesn't seem to be damaging it, something is obviously tripping but I have no idea why.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

The pHo posted:

Has anyone had a problem with their HTPC kicking out a signal that takes their receiver offline? It seems to be getting worse for me. I used to get it every so often (but not regularly) when it was an old NVIDIA card and taking the audio via spdif, both of which were plugged into the receiver, now I have an AMD card that has HDMI out so I use that instead.

XBMC seems to be the biggest offender but I'm not convinced it's the sole culprit. I'll be watching something, hear a big pop out of the speakers then the amp shuts down flashing red powerlight. Doesn't seem to be damaging it, something is obviously tripping but I have no idea why.

That sounds like a power problem with the receiver itself. I had a similar problem with an old Harmon Kardon receiver awhile ago and it turned out to be a voltage regulation issue. I had to get it replaced, tried swapping fuses and etc but to no avail.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

5436 posted:

I'm looking to replace my cable box/dvr. Anyone have any good websites for this? I've been google'ing it and all the links are like 3 years old. Whats the go to site for building this setup and picking a good TV Tuner card/etc?

If you have a wired home network the hdhomerun is a really nice unit and means any computer in your home can use it as a tv tuner.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

5436 posted:

It's hard to give good advice without knowing your situation and goals. Who's your cable provider, are you hoping to build a PVR system, how many clients do you have, etc.

Even then its still a giant pain in the rear end to DIY. I subscribe to DTV and use Sickbeard/SAB for anything else. Best of both worlds!

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I have Time Warner (loving assholes) and just 1 HD DVR box. I have some downloaded content but would also like to record at least 2 shows at a time but pref. 3+ but that is not a big deal. I really just want to nix my rental fee and have a more Tivo-esque dvr. I have a decent computer that is going to waste, 128GB SSD, 500GB secondary HD, a good video card, and like 8GB RAM. Probably overkill but like I said the box is just gaining dust.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I grew accustomed to using my old roommate's HTPC + server so I've been wanting one of my own. The HTPC was in a shuttle case and then he built a big linux server with a ton of hard drives RAIDed together.

I'm not sure what the best options are or how that compares to some of the setups here. The Zotac systems look interesting, but maybe they aren't the best value if I don't mind building my own? I also don't completely understand how a NAS setup would work differently than having a file server or if they're pretty much synonymous.

He recommended at least a quad core CPU and a dedicated ~$30 GPU, so that would require the appropriate case. I'd like to use this to play 1080p mkv off the server plus have Sickbeard doing its thing. I imagine if I ever get a 3D TV, I'd like it to be able to handle 3D as well.

Any recommendations or quick summaries of the various combos/options?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KingKapalone posted:

I also don't completely understand how a NAS setup would work differently than having a file server or if they're pretty much synonymous.

A NAS is a low-power fileserver built by a company who integrates a bunch of components and writes software to make it easy to manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

KingKapalone posted:

I grew accustomed to using my old roommate's HTPC + server so I've been wanting one of my own. The HTPC was in a shuttle case and then he built a big linux server with a ton of hard drives RAIDed together.

I'm not sure what the best options are or how that compares to some of the setups here. The Zotac systems look interesting, but maybe they aren't the best value if I don't mind building my own? I also don't completely understand how a NAS setup would work differently than having a file server or if they're pretty much synonymous.

He recommended at least a quad core CPU and a dedicated ~$30 GPU, so that would require the appropriate case. I'd like to use this to play 1080p mkv off the server plus have Sickbeard doing its thing. I imagine if I ever get a 3D TV, I'd like it to be able to handle 3D as well.

Any recommendations or quick summaries of the various combos/options?

I'm actually interested in this as well. I want to get a HTPC to slap next to my TV, can do 1080 from my shared drive on my main desktop, and is connected to my network by ethernet. I was looking at the Zotac A12 but I like what this Jetway HTPC looks. I just don't know if it's any good.