Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."

Conqueror Bounma posted:

Is there still an active EMS thread going on in another forum these days? I used to follow it often but now I can't find it. Doesn't help that I don't have the upgrade to search.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482179&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Conqueror Bounma posted:

Is there still an active EMS thread going on in another forum these days? I used to follow it often but now I can't find it. Doesn't help that I don't have the upgrade to search.

Stickied at the top of goon doctor

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Conqueror Bounma posted:

Yes also chill out and stop worrying about hiring position, the extra time will be good for you because I bet you would fail the CPAT if you took it today. It is pass/fail, they aren't loving with you, it's a national standard set by the IAFF.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

e:those were bourkes at one time.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
I love the look of bourkes, but that's just plain ridiculous.

Also, loving FISHING RIVER.

I have my medical screening tomorrow, and CPAT on 12/1. Can't wait for this poo poo to be done.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

senor punk posted:

I love the look of bourkes, but that's just plain ridiculous.

Also, loving FISHING RIVER.

I have my medical screening tomorrow, and CPAT on 12/1. Can't wait for this poo poo to be done.

I've worn a leather with bourkes once, and I prefer my traditional style tupperware with a full shield. Bourkes were about loving useless.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Conqueror Bounma posted:

What I am worried about is how much information they will give us, will they say hey you are 61 on the list and will be in the 2nd academy starting in 6 months, or will they say nothing to me and have me be in limbo not knowing whats going on for an most of a year. I guess I am going to find out.

Welcome to the hiring process. The CPAT should be a cake walk. Work on your cardio. Pay extra money for the practice test before you do the real thing. CPAT is really only pass/fail. The only reason time is documented is for the pass/fail criteria. No one cares if you smoke it under 5 minutes or pass it 1 second before time runs out.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

invision posted:

I've worn a leather with bourkes once, and I prefer my traditional style tupperware with a full shield. Bourkes were about loving useless.

You are probably right, but far as I know I'll be getting plastic with bourkes.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004
Bourkes are useless, even if they are functional. Those are just there so the guy can feel salty or some poo poo.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Crazy Dutchman posted:

Bourkes are useless, even if they are functional. Those are just there so the guy can feel salty or some poo poo.

Guy said that pic was after he came out of a fire that melted his bourkes and ruined his gear.

Conqueror Bounma
Sep 1, 2004
So I just got the email I have been waiting for and my first time practice session for the CPAT is Tuesday the 20th at 8am. Although they call it a "practice session" if I pass the test it will count and I will move on in the process. If I fail on Tuesday I will have 2 more tries to pass the test and move on. With that said, I am feeling confident and I am going to give it everything I have to pass it on the first try. I have been training doing 5 minutes on the step mill with a weight vest on, but obviously doing the rest of the stations with newborn baby deer legs isn't going to be easy. We shall see.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Need a gift for a departing chief. Thinking about a shield with

"RETIRED"
unit#
DONT CALL ME

on it.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
Passed my medical exam. Officially no longer all that worried about the prehire process. Here's hoping nothing stops FDNY from hiring in January.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

senor punk posted:

Passed my medical exam. Officially no longer all that worried about the prehire process. Here's hoping nothing stops FDNY from hiring in January.

Good luck. Keep us updated on what happens and when you're official academy day starts.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly posted:

Good luck. Keep us updated on what happens and when you're official academy day starts.

Thanks, my first try at the CPAT (and the only one I plan on using) is on 12/1. If they stay on schedule then around 1/5/13 I will do the final step, which is to run 1.5 miles in under 13 minutes, at which point I'll officially get the job offer. Academy should start 1/14/13.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Worked a pretty good MVC the other night. Two pt's trapped in seperate cars, driver of the first one had a pneumo. His passenger was about 275lbs. We cut the B post to get her out - turns out she submarined and somehow fit half of her body in the floorboard. It was the most bizarre looking thing ever. Then we had to roll the dash with no B post which was pretty hood if I do say so myself. pt had a badass open tib/fib fracture.

gently caress guys, i love this job and can't wait to get paid to do it.

Conqueror Bounma
Sep 1, 2004
Failed my first try at the CPAT. Two more tries to go hopefully I will pass on the next one. I feel like I failed by basically doing something I told myself I wouldn't do and screwing up my rhythm on the step mill. I felt pretty good on it, I had a good rhythm going and I looked up to see how much time was left. I saw :15 seconds and I was like cool as I was starting to get pretty tired anyway. As I saw the time run out it just reset to :20 seconds and I noticed I was looking at the wrong timer and I actually had 30 seconds left before 3 minutes. After I realized that I looked back down and I just started to lose my balance and I had to grab the side literally 10 seconds before the test finished. I feel like if I just kept my eyes on my feet and just hitting the next step I would have been able to finish fine. It sucks too because I didn't even get a chance to practice any of the other stations. I obviously feel super disappointed but I think I will pass hopefully on my next attempt in 2 weeks.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Conqueror Bounma posted:

Failed my first try at the CPAT. Two more tries to go hopefully I will pass on the next one. I feel like I failed by basically doing something I told myself I wouldn't do and screwing up my rhythm on the step mill. I felt pretty good on it, I had a good rhythm going and I looked up to see how much time was left. I saw :15 seconds and I was like cool as I was starting to get pretty tired anyway. As I saw the time run out it just reset to :20 seconds and I noticed I was looking at the wrong timer and I actually had 30 seconds left before 3 minutes. After I realized that I looked back down and I just started to lose my balance and I had to grab the side literally 10 seconds before the test finished. I feel like if I just kept my eyes on my feet and just hitting the next step I would have been able to finish fine. It sucks too because I didn't even get a chance to practice any of the other stations. I obviously feel super disappointed but I think I will pass hopefully on my next attempt in 2 weeks.

Although you may think it is all downhill after the step mill, you need to worry about your cardio to carry you through the whole event. If you're that fatigued after the step mill you won't have enough capacity to finish the test. Start running and lifting weights in addition to working on your step mill technique.

Conqueror Bounma
Sep 1, 2004

Dim, Tired, and Elderly posted:

Although you may think it is all downhill after the step mill, you need to worry about your cardio to carry you through the whole event. If you're that fatigued after the step mill you won't have enough capacity to finish the test. Start running and lifting weights in addition to working on your step mill technique.

Yeah I have been lifting weights also but I will admit I haven't gone on the treadmill that much just focusing on the stairs. It is frustrating though because I have been able to do 5 minutes on the stairs regularly I don't understand how I had a problem just doing 3 minutes.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
Don't look at the timer, it just crawls when you are testing.

Conqueror Bounma
Sep 1, 2004

senor punk posted:

Don't look at the timer, it just crawls when you are testing.

Yeah I feel if I didn't look at the timer I would have been fine. All I needed to last was 10 more seconds :negative:

BTW does the FDNY CPAT also have 3 tries like mine? I am kind of wondering if the people who passed the first time will get any extra preference over me assuming I pass the 2nd or 3rd try.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Conqueror Bounma posted:

Yeah I feel if I didn't look at the timer I would have been fine. All I needed to last was 10 more seconds :negative:

BTW does the FDNY CPAT also have 3 tries like mine? I am kind of wondering if the people who passed the first time will get any extra preference over me assuming I pass the 2nd or 3rd try.

Oh for fucks sake stop with the conspiracy crap. The CPAT was dreamed up and is owned by the IAFF. They dictate the specifics, like the fact that you get 3 tries. If you pass you pass that's it. And you have a high enough list number that you don't have to worry about your competition, so stop dreaming up problems that could hold you back and work.

Conqueror Bounma
Sep 1, 2004

senor punk posted:

Oh for fucks sake stop with the conspiracy crap. The CPAT was dreamed up and is owned by the IAFF. They dictate the specifics, like the fact that you get 3 tries. If you pass you pass that's it. And you have a high enough list number that you don't have to worry about your competition, so stop dreaming up problems that could hold you back and work.

Yes Sir. :staredog:

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

I say that realizing they did a poor job explaining some aspects of the test, or you weren't paying attention. All you have to do is pass, and you've indicated your in the mid 60s on a list that they plan to hire ~100 off of. It will likely take 2-3 candidates on the list to get each final candidate that is hired, so you really are high up there, yet you are worried about if someone else's passing the CPAT will be counted more than you. You need to be worried about passing it at all, then you can speculate about other candidates.

Conqueror Bounma
Sep 1, 2004

senor punk posted:

I say that realizing they did a poor job explaining some aspects of the test, or you weren't paying attention. All you have to do is pass, and you've indicated your in the mid 60s on a list that they plan to hire ~100 off of. It will likely take 2-3 candidates on the list to get each final candidate that is hired, so you really are high up there, yet you are worried about if someone else's passing the CPAT will be counted more than you. You need to be worried about passing it at all, then you can speculate about other candidates.

Yeah your right. Gotta just keep working hard and pass in 2 weeks, I just reeaaallly wanted to pass the first time so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Time to get over it and just pass next time.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Just got in my FDCam (http://www.fdcam.com/).

If you were planning on buying one, hold off for a few days until I can do a review of it. So far I'm unimpressed, and would prefer the GoPro for a helmet cam.

Conqueror Bounma
Sep 1, 2004

senor punk posted:

Thanks, my first try at the CPAT (and the only one I plan on using) is on 12/1. If they stay on schedule then around 1/5/13 I will do the final step, which is to run 1.5 miles in under 13 minutes, at which point I'll officially get the job offer. Academy should start 1/14/13.

Good luck tomorrow. Attempt #2 for me on the 10th.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

invision posted:

Just got in my FDCam (http://www.fdcam.com/).

If you were planning on buying one, hold off for a few days until I can do a review of it. So far I'm unimpressed, and would prefer the GoPro for a helmet cam.

How heat resistant is a GoPro? I wouldn't be allowed to have one on anyway but maybe for training fires.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Conqueror Bounma posted:

Thanks. Passed with relative ease, didn't see my time though.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

smooth.operator posted:

How heat resistant is a GoPro? I wouldn't be allowed to have one on anyway but maybe for training fires.
The plastic casing around the GoPro would melt the first time you took it into anything exciting.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Ironsights posted:

The plastic casing around the GoPro would melt the first time you took it into anything exciting.

That's actually not as true as you think it is. I've burned my nomex hood and the gopro kept going with 0 damage. So it can take some serious heat.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

gently caress riding the penalty box forever.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Break out yer department swag fuckers:

quote:

A 6 year old boy from VA named Nathan Norman is dying of terminal cancer and all he wants for this holiday are xmas cards from police officers and firefighters.

He admires us very much so if you can take a moment to write out a card or even just send a short letter or note to him, thats all he asks for.

The bad part is he may not make it to Christmas day so please take 3 minutes of your time and send them out as soon as possible: 81 Durivan Drive, Rustburg, VA 24588.

Address for cards:
81 Dunivan Dr
Rustburg, VA 24588

:siren:It's Legit :siren:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/medical/norman.asp

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

senor punk posted:

Thanks. Passed with relative ease, didn't see my time though.

:hellyeah:

Nice.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Taking the final for my EMT class today, then to fire academy so I can be a real boy. I'm nervous and want to throw up.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Conqueror Bounma posted:

Update?

Conqueror Bounma
Sep 1, 2004

Failed. 2nd try in a row I got to 3:10 on the stairs and I just cant move my legs another step. Its pretty frustrating I wish I started getting in shape just a few months earlier because although I have been working hard I just don't think I am in good enough shape to do it. Even if I made it that extra 10 seconds when I got off I could barely walk I doubt I would have been able to do the course. I have one more try but I don't see how I will all of a sudden be able to do it in a weeks time, too bad I wasted such a good test score. Looks like its probably the military for me.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Conqueror Bounma posted:

Failed. 2nd try in a row I got to 3:10 on the stairs and I just cant move my legs another step. Its pretty frustrating I wish I started getting in shape just a few months earlier because although I have been working hard I just don't think I am in good enough shape to do it. Even if I made it that extra 10 seconds when I got off I could barely walk I doubt I would have been able to do the course. I have one more try but I don't see how I will all of a sudden be able to do it in a weeks time, too bad I wasted such a good test score. Looks like its probably the military for me.

Welp... this is why there was such alarm when you first posted about it. The test is doable with a certain minimum level of fitness, however if you fall below that it really is tough to fudge it. If you can do some stair work 2-3 times this week you can at least try and give it one last go. If you make it off the stairs in one piece you might manage a second wind or something.

Conqueror Bounma
Sep 1, 2004

senor punk posted:

Welp... this is why there was such alarm when you first posted about it. The test is doable with a certain minimum level of fitness, however if you fall below that it really is tough to fudge it. If you can do some stair work 2-3 times this week you can at least try and give it one last go. If you make it off the stairs in one piece you might manage a second wind or something.

Yea its disappointing to not be able to capitalize on an opportunity like this. However, I know in my head that I tried as hard as I could I have gone to the gym 5 days a week and have eaten healthy, It is just not good enough to pass this test. I wish I did turn my life around and get in better shape earlier because I probably wouldn't be in this position, but I really had no way of knowing this was even going to happen. I'll give it my best shot but I don't think I'll pass it on my last try, and I am OK with it. My legs just don't work anymore at exactly the 3:10 mark. Hell joining the Navy and coming back in 4 years at 26 years old with veterans points, I can get on a Dept. then if I still want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Conqueror Bounma posted:

I'll give it my best shot but I don't think I'll pass it on my last try, and I am OK with it.

You probably don't want it bad enough to be honest.

• Locked thread