Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

my stepdads beer posted:

i just started reading the culture series starting with the first book "consider phlebas" so I'll let you know if I get that far, isn't that like book 14?

consider phlebas is a terrible name for a book

i didn't bother finishing it. it was so bad. a loose series of poorly written action scenes

"morrey ran around the corner, firing and he went! Seven went down before his blasts. Then, he reaised the ground was shaking! He ran back to the ship blasting as he went" etc etc

turned me off the culture series right away. I should probably give them another chance because I hear it's one of the worst ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Consider Phlebas isn't all that great, the next two are much better.

Player of Games is seriously one of the best sci-fi novels i've ever read.

Use of Weapons just kinda weirded me out with the combination of the chronology and the chair thing.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Ok, you guys are making me reconsider Ian Banks. I read Consider Phlebas and pretty much wrote him off, but I'll give him another shot. Which book should I read.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
watched district 9 last night

pretty good
obv all about da ~race relationz~ but thats cool
i liked the premise of trashy bum aliens, that was funny at first, then sad when you saw their conditions

wifu got into it, she thought it was good too

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

pretty good
i liked the premise of trashy bum aliens, that was funny at first, then sad when you saw their conditions

Yeah that movie was pretty cool I really enjoyed it and can only hope for the sequel where they come back and kill all the humans.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Hard NOP Life posted:

Yeah that movie was pretty cool I really enjoyed it and can only hope for the sequel where they come back and kill all the humans.

Directed by Michael Bay

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

they said itd probably be a prequel

also itd probably be pretty bad and ruin district 9 memories

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

pretty good

it's a p good film but it was kinda weird how black people were mostly portrayed as alien eating violent thugs, witch doctors, and prostitutes willing to service aliens in a movie ostensibly about racism

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Cold on a Cob posted:

it's a p good film but it was kinda weird how black people were mostly portrayed as alien eating violent thugs, witch doctors, and prostitutes willing to service aliens in a movie ostensibly about racism

a movie where race was handled in a clumsy way? what will that wacky Hollywood think up next

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

DuckConference posted:

tbf to dune I don't think the others featured the white dude leading the tribe on a genocidal jihad because of the tyranny of prescience and his own failure to embark on the golden path

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Hard NOP Life posted:

it's called Battle: Los Angeles starring "the thank you for smoking guy" and "the latina chika everyone justifiably hates"

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

FEMA summer camp posted:

it's called Battle: Los Angeles starring "the thank you for smoking guy" and "the latina chika everyone justifiably hates"

Uhhhh I saw that piece of poo poo, terrible

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Hard NOP Life posted:

Uhhhh I saw that piece of poo poo, terrible

thx for your sincere opinion about my joke reply

it's weird and unique because I think you're the only person who didn't like Battle: lost angeles AKA instant classic AKA five stars

(ask to see my tattoo of a crashed alien ship on venice beach and underneath it says "3/11/11 never forget")

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i enjoyed battle: la but that's because i went in expecting a 4/10 movie with lots of explosions and gun battles and got what i wanted mostly

it was annoying how it was almost 2 hrs, if you're a lovely excuse for cool special effects you should be 80 mins, tops

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
michael bay owns, just fyi.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i just can't watch michael bay films even my "poo poo movie enjoying" powers aren't that strong, still haven't bothered sitting through transformers: dark side of the moon after the shitshow that was part 2

bad boys + the rock are awesome though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
transformers 2 was bad, but the 3rd one had some freaking awesome action scenes that you just arent gonna see any other director attempt without them being entirely cgi. he has dudes in wingsuits w/ 3d cameras on they heads fly around a city irl.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
ok maybe i will try 3 its on netflix so the only cost is my time and sanity

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i don't know what everyone's talking about, there was only one transformers movie and it was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COYRxf13tIg

The Selling Wizard
Apr 10, 2009

CAN I BUM A SMOKE
OFF YA, SPACE MAN

Cold on a Cob posted:

i just can't watch michael bay films even my "poo poo movie enjoying" powers aren't that strong, still haven't bothered sitting through transformers: dark side of the moon after the shitshow that was part 2

bad boys + the rock are awesome though

I love the rock. it's fun and exciting

transformers 2 was physically painful to watch; constant noise and smash cuts actually gave me a migraine

bay directed films:

bad boys --good
the rock --good
armageddon --poo poo
pearl harbor --poo poo
badboys 2 --haven't seen it
the island --poo poo
transformers --poo poo
transformers 2 --oh gently caress
transformers 3 --haven't seen it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the best part of that movie is how there was a huge fit of boo-hoo over optimus prime dying

and i guess there was a deleted scene where practically all the other gen 1 transformers got killed in a battle

"if junior felt bad about optimus prime dying he was going to be devastated when his entire toy collection just bought the farm"

owned kids lol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah the animated movie was essentially hasbro (or whoever made transformers) clearing the deck for the next generation of toys

also, fun fact: transformers were two japanese lines of toys that were combined and released together stateside

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
the first couple episodes of the new bsg miniseries blood and chrome is up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT79x4qM4FE&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdisGiivP9c&hd=1

havent watched it yet but there's supposedly a lot of pew pew lasers

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

BANME.sh posted:

the first couple episodes of the new bsg miniseries blood and chrome is up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT79x4qM4FE&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdisGiivP9c&hd=1

havent watched it yet but there's supposedly a lot of pew pew lasers

oh man i really hope this doesnt suck

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
is blade runner a good film

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Allan Assiduity posted:

is blade runner a good film

yes, but watch the director's cut without the voiceover

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

oh man i really hope this doesnt suck

seems good from the first 2 episodes at least

hopefully it keeps crazy religious plot out of it this time

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Phobeste posted:

this

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Phobeste posted:

No, watch the Final Cut without the voiceover and with the finished special effects.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

No, watch the Final Cut without the voiceover and with the finished special effects.

i forgot about that one

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
foolish honkies! i've come to take sockbaby, which the one called burger holds

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Is it worth going to my mom's house to dig out all the lovely Piers Anthony books that I used to read in high school? I'm feeling nostalgic but if I remember correctly most of the books weren't even fun in a pulpy way.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Is it worth going to my mom's house to dig out all the lovely Piers Anthony books that I used to read in high school? I'm feeling nostalgic but if I remember correctly most of the books weren't even fun in a pulpy way.

the color of her panties

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Grandmaster.flv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXCK1EyP4s

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Grandmaster.flv posted:

no piers anthony is loving terrible, just irredeemably horrible and worthless

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
piers anthony is sick

http://hradzka.livejournal.com/392471.html

quote:

Some of you folks may recall that a while ago I mentioned that the curious thing about Piers Anthony, to me, is that while people often dump on Anthony for being weird, skeevy, disturbing, and that sort of thing, nobody doing so ever mentions the stuff that *I* find to be really disturbing. (And remember, when we say "Piers Anthony" we're talking about the guy who wrote protoplasmic sex scenes and a story with a dude boinking a mentally retarded woman who was hooked up to a milking machine.) This is odd as hell, because I remember glancing at the book when it first came out, doing a massive double-take on reading that passage, and thinking, "Holy dogshit, this'll get him run out of town on a rail." Curiously, that never happened.

I'm referring to TATHAM MOUND, in which Piers Anthony's hero boinks a ten-year-old girl, using honey for lube.

quote:

it has been brought to my attention that this is far from the worst thing Piers Anthony has ever written. In his novel FIREFLY, Anthony wrote a detailed thrust-by-thrust (or, to be more precise, wriggle-by-wriggle) pedophilic sex scene, described by a five-year-old girl, who is depicted as quite literally asking for it. The five-year-old is being interviewed for the trial of the guy who was molesting her. She is eidetic and demonstrative, even to the point of having the (female) interviewer act out positions. At the end, the child realizes that her molester is In Major Trouble and starts crying, because she knows that telling the truth has gotten the guy sent up the river.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
even some of the xanth books had some creepy stuff in them but i don't remember any specifics and i'm not going to bother looking them up

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i don't recall the precise grody boink specifics at this juncture your honour

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
good lord i had no idea

i just thought he was a loving terrible writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i read a couple of xanth books as a teenager and thought they sucked. for years people told me the incarnations books were actually good, so i finally broke down and read them a few years ago. they had a few cool ideas but they were completely buried under a steaming mound of piers anthony being a loving terrible writer

• Locked thread