Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is the SFC and European SNES 100% identical other than the logo, the RF channels, the voltage, and one runs in 50hz and the other is 60hz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think he said Super Metroid was the most expensive, around $40. Chrono Trigger was cheapest at around $20.

He said there was so much cheap poo poo there, I assume if he wanted cart only he could have gotten those games for like nothing.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Well drat, I was not expecting that. I guess I'm just used to Super Metroid being more ubiquitous in the US than Chrono Trigger, as far as collecting goes.

While we're discussing SFC stuff, is there a more economical way of getting SFC stuff from Japan other than just eBay resellers? I'm not exactly up to speed on how stuff like proxy buyers and agents work or what advantages if any they'd have for finding stuff for cheaper.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Chrono Trigger cart only is like $3, RPGs are their sports games.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I know it couldn't have happened, but imagine how different the SNES game market would be if all SFC games had English translation options built in.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I know it couldn't have happened, but imagine how different the SNES game market would be if all SFC games had English translation options built in.

The only games I can really think of that had that to some degree were some ports of the original Wizardry games. I know the SFC compilation of Wiz 1-3 had a toggle for English, and the PCE versions also have stuff in English for the most part.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
So I got my Gamestop order last night. One day is impressive turn around. I got zero cases and manuals, not even for Activision Anthology. :( I guess I'll be buying replacement cases at some point.

Additional Odd Quirk: When I play Gradius IV there's no sound. I haven't tried Gradius III to see if it's just part of the disc, but that was definitely weird.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

X-Men's Rogue warns us about the dangers of playing our Nintendos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzyz2TgGls

[edit] Also Super Mario Bros. 4

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 15, 2012

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I know I said it before, but I'll say it again. You can save a lot of money by buying Japanese versions of certain games, if ebay is your only option.

I recently bought SMW, Mario Allstars, and Yoshis Island in Japanese for $21 (including shipping). If you're looking at just ebay prices, the US versions would run you double that. Same with stuff like Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, etc. Yea, you're going to miss out on some story text, but let's be honest, you're not playing these games for the story.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Xir posted:

So I got my Gamestop order last night. One day is impressive turn around. I got zero cases and manuals, not even for Activision Anthology. :( I guess I'll be buying replacement cases at some point.

I was dreading this. But I knew it was a gamble, but with the odds definitely not in my favor. At least Game Crazy had their own custom case inserts for rentals, with the game's original cover art. If only other stores could have taken note.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

zenintrude posted:

X-Men's Rogue warns us about the dangers of playing our Nintendos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzyz2TgGls

[edit] Also Super Mario Bros. 4

No conversation about social responsibility and video games is complete without trotting out this way-past-cool gem.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

fatpat268 posted:

I know I said it before, but I'll say it again. You can save a lot of money by buying Japanese versions of certain games, if ebay is your only option.

I recently bought SMW, Mario Allstars, and Yoshis Island in Japanese for $21 (including shipping). If you're looking at just ebay prices, the US versions would run you double that. Same with stuff like Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, etc. Yea, you're going to miss out on some story text, but let's be honest, you're not playing these games for the story.

Yeah I've started looking into buying SFC copies of platformers and such. Wouldn't want to play Chrono Trigger that way, but I could do SMW2

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I have bought several Super Famicom versions of games over their SNES counterparts just because the were cheaper. Super Metroid only ran me $15, and I was pleased to discover it switches to full english.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Also, SFC box art is incredible. I've got Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle, and Chrono Trigger, all awesome. If I remember right the Secret of Mana SFC box is especially awesome.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Space Harrier posted:

I have bought several Super Famicom versions of games over their SNES counterparts just because the were cheaper. Super Metroid only ran me $15, and I was pleased to discover it switches to full english.

Well that's interesting. But now that you mention it, I do remember the language controls being in the US version as well. I guess they just produced the one version and changed the default language.

Edit: I guess people are wise to this though, just looking on ebay right now and there isn't a price difference between SNES & SFC that I can see.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Code Jockey posted:

If I remember right the Secret of Mana SFC box is especially awesome.

You're remembering correctly...

I believe this art was used for American ads.

I'm also a big, big fan of this box:

Despite not entirely making sense.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

zenintrude posted:

You're remembering correctly...

I believe this art was used for American ads.

drat that's a fine cover.

quote:

I'm also a big, big fan of this box:

Despite not entirely making sense.

Yeah, that's... what? FF4 didn't... but... aaagg :psyduck:

[I seriously love the logo designs for the FF games, though. FF art in general from that era was just the best]

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Xir posted:

Additional Odd Quirk: When I play Gradius IV there's no sound. I haven't tried Gradius III to see if it's just part of the disc, but that was definitely weird.

mine came today too. Makes me want to go back to the well. I really should hold off because I'm kind of broke and should be spending money on other people for the holidays, but... crazy cheap games! I don't know how long I can resist.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Ambitious Spider posted:

mine came today too. Makes me want to go back to the well. I really should hold off because I'm kind of broke and should be spending money on other people for the holidays, but... crazy cheap games! I don't know how long I can resist.

Give out crazy cheap PS2 games for Christmas, problem solved!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm mixed on the Front Mission box art, but I think I'm mostly positive on it. I forget this artist's name, he did a ton of Squaresoft stuff. Sometimes it looks fantastic, sometimes it looks a little off, like the dude's face front and center.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Chainclaw posted:

I forget this artist's name, he did a ton of Squaresoft stuff.

Yoshitaka Amano... his style works great for some things (i.e. Final Fantasy) but I'm not sold on that Front Mission art.

An example of Amano working:

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 15, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

My Gamestop PS2 games arrived today as well, sadly all in paper sleeves. :(

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Got my gamestop games yesterday. Good bunch of them came in paper sleeves except for a few, including Firefighter F.D 18.

Such a strange game too. I like it!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I actually opt'd out of the PS2 sale. I already have like 120 PS2 games anyway (and they all have the box at least)

I didn't want to do this because I know so many (disc) games without boxes would drive me nuts.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Ineffiable posted:

I actually opt'd out of the PS2 sale. I already have like 120 PS2 games anyway (and they all have the box at least)

I didn't want to do this because I know so many (disc) games without boxes would drive me nuts.

You and me both, brother... I don't want to see any of these disc-only collections for I may lose my lunch.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Chainclaw posted:

I'm mixed on the Front Mission box art, but I think I'm mostly positive on it. I forget this artist's name, he did a ton of Squaresoft stuff. Sometimes it looks fantastic, sometimes it looks a little off, like the dude's face front and center.

I just can't fault the dude here because I still love the overall style, and Front Mission owns so much.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
As an SNES-era Squaresoft fanboy I am surprised I never bothered with Front Mission. I remember starting it up a few times and losing interest in less than a minute; what is it like?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

As an SNES-era Squaresoft fanboy I am surprised I never bothered with Front Mission. I remember starting it up a few times and losing interest in less than a minute; what is it like?

I'm in this same boat actually. Just couldn't get into it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
You blow up mechs with your mech as a SRPG. Also, you can customize your mech (provided you have the money)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

It is as boring as any other SRPG, so it is super boring.

Now with 100% more mechs.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^ I will hurt you :argh:

RadicalR posted:

You blow up mechs with your mech as a SRPG. Also, you can customize your mech (provided you have the money)

I think the customization hooked me the most, but it was one of my first SRPGs and one of the first fan translated games I played back when this was still a super new concept in the emulation world. The environment is pretty cool too, and I am a big mech nerd at heart, and hey, Squaresoft game. There's a lot to like about FM for me.

Gun Hazard is... interesting, though. I haven't played too much of it, but I was not expecting a side scrolling platformer thing.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zenintrude posted:

It is as boring as any other SRPG, so it is super boring.

Now with 100% more mechs.

I love turn-based strategy, from advance wars to Tactics Ogre to X-com, but I always reach a point where
I get fatigued and turn them off.

In fact the only one I've ever finished was Final Fantasy tactics, and I only did that because I was a dumbass kid and had dropped out of college for a semester to work at Circuit City, so time wasn't an issue.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Front Mission's menus are all in English, so it's at least playable (even though the story parts won't make sense).
I liked how it's possible to pick off "limbs" of mechs to render them immobile or incapable of attacking, etc.
I liked it fine, but I also love stuff like Fire Emblems and Super Robot Wars.

The disc-based sequels are virtually unplayable because of horrendous loading times.

Gun Hazard is a side-scroller, and I don't remember it being much fun. I have it somewhere around here in pristine condition(one of many SFC carts bought new at the time and added to my ever growing "to play" pile).

Gun Hazard was one of three Square titles announced at a joint Square-NCL press conference in 1995. The other two were Romancing Saga 3 (the entire series I HATE), and Super Mario RPG.

The press conference turned surreally uncomfortable after Square demoed SMRPG, and the producer announced, "We're hoping to see sales of 400,000 units."
One of NCL's head honchos took the stage right after and blasted Square for not being ambitious enough with SMRPG's sales target. He said something to the effect, "We're letting you use our marquee star who always gets us multimillion sales, you're telling me you can't even do a million? We expect better."

I think that's when Square's relationship with Nintendo really soured, resulting in them going over to Sony. (It got so bad that Square's President Suzuki was refused entry into NCL's head office when he went to try and appease N, and to get clearance to have Square games on GBA.)

I still have a set of three sterling silver pins from that press conference.
I'll do pics later today when I get done with this nutty deadline job.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

zenintrude posted:

You and me both, brother... I don't want to see any of these disc-only collections for I may lose my lunch.

You also would think that because of the case, with easy shelfable ability, a place to keep a manual, and also, a place to keep your disc with minimal stratches, it'd be easy to get games complete in the PSX era and later.

(and before you say the same about how NES/SNES boxes have a good place to keep the manual, the game and can easily be put on a shelf, cardboard boxes are way less durable than dvd cases. And durability goes a long way, look at the Saturn cases.)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for saving me from the game, folks!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I think that's when Square's relationship with Nintendo really soured, resulting in them going over to Sony. (It got so bad that Square's President Suzuki was refused entry into NCL's head office when he went to try and appease N, and to get clearance to have Square games on GBA.)

:stare: Story, please (especially since GBA games ended up getting Square releases on it).

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Doug Dinsdale posted:

The other two were Romancing Saga 3 (the entire series I HATE), and Super Mario RPG.

Are you familiar with the guy on nicovideo who's now published several hours' worth of videos documenting funny bugs in Romancing Saga 2, using other bugs to beat Romancing Saga 3 in 20 minutes, etc.? That's a hell of a lot more fun than actually trying to play the series.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I irrationally want to enjoy Saga Frontier, but the game keeps pushing me away... am I dumb to want to like it?

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Are you familiar with the guy on nicovideo who's now published several hours' worth of videos documenting funny bugs in Romancing Saga 2, using other bugs to beat Romancing Saga 3 in 20 minutes, etc.? That's a hell of a lot more fun than actually trying to play the series.

I'll check them out later.
ANYTHING is preferable to playing the hideously terrible RomaSaga series.
I had all three SFC outings, too. What a victim I was.

I could go on an extended rant, but deadline beckons.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i am a man that makes purchasing decisions, sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

zenintrude posted:

I irrationally want to enjoy Saga Frontier, but the game keeps pushing me away... am I dumb to want to like it?
Yes. Yes you are. There are hundreds of JRPGs out there. Pick any one of them to play instead.

• Locked thread