Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

eSports Chaebol posted:

Some of those are drugs and some of those are substances that contain drugs. In a certain context it's just being pedantic, but there is a real point for example to saying something like "beer is not a drug." As dangerous as beer is, as a means to deliver alcohol it is a LOT safer than vaporizing or injecting alcohol, which carries a much higher risk of death. It's also relevant in the case of marijuana that it isn't just arbitrary plant + THC; see for example how Marinol does not have the same efficacy as marijuana.

Coca is another good example: really the only reason it is illegal is because cocaine exists, not because people are getting hosed up on coca.

Excuse me for using common names for drugs, I guess? It's odd that you focused on that and not the outright stupid assertion that marijuana is unlike any other drug because it's like, natural, man. I was just naming a few things off the top of my head that are also natural and don't require significantly more labor to ingest than harvesting and curing weed would. Some are definitely more palatable with human synthesis (your favorite beer versus rotten, fermented fruit) or performing more involved methods to get only the compound you want (extracting crystalline DMT instead of traditional native American methods), but I'm fairly certain that you won't find 22% THC marijuana and a ROOR to smoke it with in nature either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cockmaster posted:

Besides, wouldn't the presence of legal pot ultimately yield genuine real-world evidence of the folly of prohibition?

Alcohol prohibition already did this.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Install Gentoo posted:

Because I was only talking about sales to begin with.

Tons of harmful substances have their possession and use prohibited. How much plutonium do you think you can make out back before you get in trouble? poo poo, you can get in a hell of a lot of trouble just for possessing chemicals that 5 steps later on are sued to manufacture a drug, and they're usually toxic in themselves.

You can legally possess cyanide, prussic acid (in fact any acid, even highly concentrated ones), Arsenic. etc.

You can get loving Botulinum toxin and no one would bat a single eye.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Install Gentoo posted:

Because I was only talking about sales to begin with.

Tons of harmful substances have their possession and use prohibited. How much plutonium do you think you can make out back before you get in trouble? poo poo, you can get in a hell of a lot of trouble just for possessing chemicals that 5 steps later on are sued to manufacture a drug, and they're usually toxic in themselves.

And yet I can go to Home Depot and pick up all the materials to make a bomb or chlorine gas and nothing will happen! But I can't stock up on sudafed without landing on some drug enforcement list and giving them my ID.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SilentD posted:

And yet I can go to Home Depot and pick up all the materials to make a bomb or chlorine gas and nothing will happen! But I can't stock up on sudafed without landing on some drug enforcement list and giving them my ID.

Depends on which specific materials to make a bomb you get.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You can legally possess cyanide, prussic acid (in fact any acid, even highly concentrated ones), Arsenic. etc.

You can get loving Botulinum toxin and no one would bat a single eye.

And what does this have to do with other ones being illegal?

You can also buy all the uranium you want, but if you start processing it down you start to get into trouble.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

veedubfreak posted:

Pot isn't a drug. It is a plant, that is smoked in its natural form. That alone makes it completely different from any "drug" on the planet.

For cannabis, I prefer the name 'phytopharmaceutical'.

quote:

The plant kingdom has also enabled the production of so called phytopharmaceutical or ‘botanical drugs’. These are defined as well characterised, multi-component standardised drugs extracted from plant sources. The medicine VeregenTM, derived from green tea Camellia sinensis, and approved for the topical treatment of warts (Medigene Inc.) is such an example. In 2004 the United States Food and Drug Administration issued the Botanical Drug Guidance which made it possible to bring to market a complex mixture for which evidence of adequate safety and efficacy had been established (FDA, 2004). https://www.gwpharm.com/uploads/phd_david_potter_jp.pdf

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
I come bearing what appears to be good news:
http://reason.com/blog/2012/11/14/state-legislators-in-rhode-island-and-ma

I can't help but feel good to see the beginning of the end for prohibition.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

What's the chance of passing, though? Hundreds of awesome and terrible bills are introduced every year and most die in committee at best.

I'm from MA originally and while the state overall is liberal and as blue as they come, the government is kind of notoriously corrupt and I could easily see special interests shitcanning the bill even in the face of broad support.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
I guess I'm just being super optimistic because I'm already seeing a step in the right direction where I live, and I'm glad to hurriedly include other states into the mix.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Not trying to be a downer, just curious if anyone who lives there currently has a feel for its chances. I hope it passes, too :unsmith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It passed on Colorado and Washington - I don't see how Rhode Island or Maine are somehow immune from legalization.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
It seems to me to be primarily a question of legitimacy, which mostly means money, but also requires some degree of competence on the part of the drafters/advocates of similar ballot initiatives in other states.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Cockmaster posted:

Well, some of the main arguments for legalizing pot apply equally to more dangerous drugs (such as that there's nothing to gain from treating drug addiction as an offense to be punished rather than an illness to be treated).
Yes but I think the biggest and most effective argument is that it is incredibly safe and has no business being banned. Some of those other drugs DO however.

a lovely poster posted:

The way I see it we either trust adults to manage their substance intake or we don't. Treating everything case by case is pretty drat pointless considering the most dangerous recreational drug of any meaningful popularity is already legal, alcohol.
But we already don't trust adults to manage their substance intake. How could you think we do? Have you ever met a heroin addict or been through a DUI checkpoint? As a society we have demonstrated a million times over that we do a very poor job empirically analyzing the effects of our choices and making rational decisions regarding what we put into our body, how much we put in and what we do before, during and after.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Two state senators in Indiana are going to introduce marijuana decriminalization bills next year (one of them is from the same area I am originally - you have no idea how weird it is to see marijuana decriminalization and my home town mentioned in the same article) - one for amounts under 3 oz. and one for amounts under 1/3 oz. :downs:

Well, it is Indiana after all :unsmith:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

It passed on Colorado and Washington - I don't see how Rhode Island or Maine are somehow immune from legalization.

It passed in WA and CO as a ballot initiative rather than as a normal bill voted on by the legislature, I feel that's a pretty significant difference.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Docjowles posted:

It passed in WA and CO as a ballot initiative rather than as a normal bill voted on by the legislature, I feel that's a pretty significant difference.

Yeah, bills introduced to the legislature will sit in limbo for loving ever as they sit on their hands and ignore it in favor of less-controversial topics. In Hawaii, our legislators have kept the decrim bills on ice for like the past three or four years.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 15, 2012

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Rhode Island certainly could use the money for its crumbling school system. The politicians here were willing to help Curt loving Schilling light money on fire trying to make a MMO, and now we're turning to expanding gambling. I'd think legalization is viable here, as it's certainly a better source of revenue and growth than a lot of the poo poo we've tried already.

Nov 7, 2012
I give terrible advice in E/N and post nothing worth anybody's time.

i might be a social cripple irl

Jazerus posted:

Two state senators in Indiana are going to introduce marijuana decriminalization bills next year (one of them is from the same area I am originally - you have no idea how weird it is to see marijuana decriminalization and my home town mentioned in the same article) - one for amounts under 3 oz. and one for amounts under 1/3 oz. :downs:

Well, it is Indiana after all :unsmith:

Actually that's a pretty smart idea because common quantities that would be carried won't be exactly at the limit, thus saving on a ton of cases where the person is .0001 over or something stupid like that.

The real issue is that a third is nothing if you are talking poor people weed.

312 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 15, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Docjowles posted:

Not trying to be a downer, just curious if anyone who lives there currently has a feel for its chances. I hope it passes, too :unsmith:
To some degree it's not of paramount importance whether or not it passes this time. The more states that introduce such bills the more it becomes a question of 'when' rather than 'if' - it's more and more obvious that legalisation is an idea whose time has come, and the snowball is well and truly rolling :)

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Docjowles posted:

In 2009-2010 I worked on marijuana in policy in Rhode Island - basically coordinating between politicians and lobbyists (hired by marijuana policy non-profits) and volunteers, mostly students. Also participants in a "for further study" panel.

That year, in addition to medical marijuana battles, we had a bill that would decriminalize marijuana, and one that would tax and regulate it. I testified in support of both to a House committee. We were really hopeful for decrim- in the House, more than 50% of the state's representatives were cosponsors. Unfortunately, the opponents managed to prevent it from ever coming to a vote.

I don't live in Rhode Island anymore but I'm pleased to say that decrim was finally passed earlier this year. Activists, politicians, and lobbyists have been working on this for a long time there.

Will they get tax and regulate this year? It's possible; when I started working on it I was surprised how many legislators were already onboard. I wouldn't be surprised if they push it for further study first and wait and see how it goes in Colorado and Washington. For decrim, Massachusetts passing it was probably the biggest boost for its legitimacy as policy in RI.

E: TACD is right, it's a question of what, not if.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

312 posted:

Actually that's a pretty smart idea because common quantities that would be carried won't be exactly at the limit, thus saving on a ton of cases where the person is .0001 over or something stupid like that.

lovely weed doesn't exist in a legal market. Sure it might cost 15 bucks a gram, but there is a reason its called "one hit poo poo".

*edit* That might be confusing. What I'm saying is that smoking a lot of bad weed(lovely weed) is the same as smoking a little bit of good weed(one hit poo poo). Unless you're growing for the fiber to make textiles, the growers for the legal consumption market aren't going for quantity over quality.

FetusSlapper fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 15, 2012

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

FetusSlapper posted:

lovely weed doesn't exist in a legal market. Sure it might cost 15 bucks a gram, but there is a reason its called "one hit poo poo".

*edit* That might be confusing. What I'm saying is that smoking a lot of bad weed(lovely weed) is the same as smoking a little bit of good weed(one hit poo poo). Unless you're growing for the fiber to make textiles, the growers for the legal consumption market aren't going for quantity over quality.
Marketers working for Big Weed would be insane not to take advantage of the popular idea of good weed vs. bad weed by selling different tiers of product (even if the difference in reality was only placebo).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think a major factor in the support of decriminalization and taxation really has more to do with the current state of economy , CO specifically has had budgetary problems etc.. Basically pretty much every state seems to need a influx of cash to deal with their budgets. So they start looking at other sources of income and this is one of them.

I think if we were not in a "recession" or economic downturn you wouldn't see the support this has from legislatures really.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Hollis posted:

I think a major factor in the support of decriminalization and taxation really has more to do with the current state of economy , CO specifically has had budgetary problems etc.. Basically pretty much every state seems to need a influx of cash to deal with their budgets. So they start looking at other sources of income and this is one of them.

I think if we were not in a "recession" or economic downturn you wouldn't see the support this has from legislatures really.

All the PRO commercials I saw in WA were pretty grounded in reality, the economic plea was defiantly there, but it was grounded with sources in authority, IE, the cops and judicial endorsements who gave their support to the measure. It wasn't the typical libertarian flavored hype that you usually see from proponents like NORML, it seemed like a more informed campaign.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
What did they mean by "similar bills" in MA?

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

KingEup posted:

It's a rather insulting attitude if you ask me. It implies that poor people are unable to modify their drinking habits if the price goes up; as though being poor makes you a slave to your basest desires and somehow unable to control yourself.

It's a line you hear repeated ad nauseam every-time the tax on cigarettes goes up.

It isn't insulting. Price has been shown to be a very effective moderator of consumption of dugs in general. If what you said was true it would have had no effect whatsoever. Also you appear to be arguing that addiction literally doesn't exist. People who are out of control alcoholics are going to drink whatever the price, same as any other drug. I think this is an important point to clarify, as it is the other end of the 'bootstraps' spectrum.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Flaky posted:

Also you appear to be arguing that addiction literally doesn't exist. People who are out of control alcoholics are going to drink whatever the price, same as any other drug. I think this is an important point to clarify, as it is the other end of the 'bootstraps' spectrum.

I often hear the argument that taxation will not deter addicts from using because users are 'addicted'. This is false.

There is no evidence that addicted individuals are 'out of control' and unable to modify their behaviour in response to strong incentives (like increases in the price of liquor, tobacco or any other drug). It's just that for some addicted individuals, price is not a powerful disincentive. Even so, price usually exerts some influence - smokers often 'cut down' to compensate for tax hikes. Heroin addicts may use their heroin sparingly to stave off withdrawals until they can get enough money for their next proper fix.

Addicts choose to abstain when they are sufficiently motivated to do so. The problem is that not everyone is motivated by the same things.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 15, 2012

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

KingEup posted:

I often hear the argument that taxation will not deter people from using because users are 'addicted'. This is false.

Which is why I was advocating increasing the price of alcohol. This would be achieved by increasing the tax on it. It's also why I would advocate medical heroin, it doesn't matter how cheap it gets, you need the addict in contact with support services and alternatives such as methadone treatment, as well as reducing/eliminating black market demand. I was referring to the population as a whole and not addicts in specific.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Flaky posted:

Which is why I was advocating increasing the price of alcohol. This would be achieved by increasing the tax on it. It's also why I would advocate medical heroin, it doesn't matter how cheap it gets, you need the addict in contact with support services and alternatives such as methadone treatment, as well as reducing/eliminating black market demand. I was referring to the population as a whole and not addicts in specific.

I think the notion of increasing harm (in the form of monetary losses) for alcoholics is problematic. Do we really want people losing more of their resources to what's essentially a disease? It feels like kicking them when they're down. I do agree that medical supervision combined with low cost or free supply can work, at least in some situations. Maybe the ideas could be married by letting people avoid the taxes by registering for medical supervision as problem users? This might allow high prices to remain in place as a barrier for moving from occasional to frequent use while providing an incentive for addicts to move into care and simultaneously decreasing the financial harm of the addiction.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 15, 2012

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

KingEup posted:

I often hear the argument that taxation will not deter addicts from using because users are 'addicted'. This is false.

There is no evidence that addicted individuals are 'out of control' and unable to modify their behaviour in response to strong incentives (like increases in the price of liquor, tobacco or any other drug). It's just that for some addicted individuals, price is not a powerful disincentive. Even so, price usually exerts some influence - smokers often 'cut down' to compensate for tax hikes. Heroin addicts may use their heroin sparingly to stave off withdrawals until they can get enough money for their next proper fix.

Addicts choose to abstain when they are sufficiently motivated to do so. The problem is that not everyone is motivated by the same things.

This is completely loving false by all standards within the current understanding of modern Psychology, just FYI.

edit for clarification: It is not false that some/most people can or will cut down, or that price can be a disincentive to use, but rather your assertion that addiction doesn't lead to 'out of control' individuals. According to just about every expert in the field addiction can, in fact, lead to people who are 'out of control' and are thus unable to modify their behavior in response to incentives.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 15, 2012

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Torka posted:

Marketers working for Big Weed would be insane not to take advantage of the popular idea of good weed vs. bad weed by selling different tiers of product (even if the difference in reality was only placebo).

Such claims could be easily checked by consumers (in more than one way), and this could open up false-advertising issues if it were in fact a placebo difference. I'd bet instead, if anything, that they'll simply brand different strains as this or that, regardless of THC/CBD content (although those numbers would give them a way to "rank" their brands, despite each strain being equally "good", but having different effects, from a consumer's perspective).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mdemone posted:

Such claims could be easily checked by consumers (in more than one way), and this could open up false-advertising issues if it were in fact a placebo difference. I'd bet instead, if anything, that they'll simply brand different strains as this or that, regardless of THC/CBD content (although those numbers would give them a way to "rank" their brands, despite each strain being equally "good", but having different effects, from a consumer's perspective).

They'd just say "8 out of 10 customers preferred Good Weed to Bad Weed*", like how pharmaceuticals work now.

*After we told them Good Weed is better than Bad Weed

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Could the Fed like, "poll the nation" during the next Presidential election about marijuana de-scheduling or de-criminalization and make a decision from there? Is it even possible to put something like that on every state ballot?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Loving Life Partner posted:

Could the Fed like, "poll the nation" during the next Presidential election about marijuana de-scheduling or de-criminalization and make a decision from there? Is it even possible to put something like that on every state ballot?

No. State ballot measures aren't even allowed in every state, I think. There's at least one or two states where the only thing that can be done is to ask the citizens to ratify a law that was already passed by the state legislature; can't remember which though.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

312 posted:

It's still hugely helpful because it removes "I smelled the odor of marijuana" as instant probable cause. It's not great, and it's certainly no license-regulate-and-tax scheme, but it'd be a huge victory just because it makes it a bit more difficult for police to gently caress with poor folks.

FetusSlapper posted:

All the PRO commercials I saw in WA were pretty grounded in reality, the economic plea was defiantly there, but it was grounded with sources in authority, IE, the cops and judicial endorsements who gave their support to the measure. It wasn't the typical libertarian flavored hype that you usually see from proponents like NORML, it seemed like a more informed campaign.

It was really striking how the pro-502 side flipped typical arguments on their head, and framed legalization as the responsible choice of suburban moms, FBI agents, and similar people. The economic arguments were almost all limited to "locking up non-violent offenders is wasting money" rather than "we should collect these taxes."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Install Gentoo posted:

No. State ballot measures aren't even allowed in every state, I think. There's at least one or two states where the only thing that can be done is to ask the citizens to ratify a law that was already passed by the state legislature; can't remember which though.

We have that here in Delaware. The whims of the plebs are not to interfere with the wishes of our corporate overlords.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I was amazed that I did not see a single anti-64 commercial. There was even a commercial with a retired cop saying that weed is harmless and cops have better things to do. Now if I can just start getting good bud instead of this crappy stuff. Although it's not really bad, just a whole lot less of it for my money than getting from someone who has a card :)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

I was amazed that I did not see a single anti-64 commercial. There was even a commercial with a retired cop saying that weed is harmless and cops have better things to do. Now if I can just start getting good bud instead of this crappy stuff. Although it's not really bad, just a whole lot less of it for my money than getting from someone who has a card :)

Yeah, one of my friends said they heard one anti-64 radio ad and another saw an anti-64 billboard but that's all I've heard about, and I myself never saw any opposition whatsoever. The measure went almost unopposed here.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Yeah, one of my friends said they heard one anti-64 radio ad and another saw an anti-64 billboard but that's all I've heard about, and I myself never saw any opposition whatsoever. The measure went almost unopposed here.

Ditto. Although I did think the "GOTTA STOP DEM MEXICANS FROM TAKIN OUR MONEY AND JERBS! VOTE YES!" scare tactic ad was pretty :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

I heard one anti-64 ad on the radio. They trotted out the old "If pot is legalized, it will be easier for kids to get it." line of bullshit. It started playing a few days before the election. Sounded like an act of desperation to me.

• Locked thread