Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Why so? And I know I'd use it at least once a year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I hope you know what you're getting into.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Also deep frying makes your kitchen smell wretched. Like, just really terrible, even if you only use it a couple of times. Ugh, the smell.

Makes damned tasty food, though....

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Iunnrais posted:

Why so? And I know I'd use it at least once a year...

The fact that I know I'd use it is exactly why I know I avoid it. It's a lot easier to avoid eating fried food multiple times a week if it isn't as easy to make large batches of it.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Well, I am going to fry. We're literally speaking of a religious thing. I mean, I guess I could just buy the fried food, but after last year, my synagogue has learned that I can fry and now expects it of me. Besides, the sufganiyot came out spectacular last year, and I definitely want more of that.

The issue is whether I'm going to fry manually with a thermometer and gas stove, or have a device that can make sure I don't set my kitchen on fire when I try it. I mean, I haven't burned down my kitchen yet, but it's kindof scary.

I had to stand over the pot of oil staring at that thermometer, and I found it distressing how slowly my thermometer would respond-- I'd get the oil to the proper temperature, and add my dough. A minute or two later, the thermometer would drop like a rock in response to the cold stuff having been added. So I need to raise the fire to get it back up... but once I got back to the right temperature and lowered the fire, the thermometer KEPT GOING UP to a scary degree, I assume because various parts of the oil were temping differently and it was evening out.

I'd say about half my efforts turned out perfectly in the end, but maybe a quarter was undercooked, and another quarter was charred and rock hard.

The leftover oil was actually used just during the week, and then maybe once or twice more in the following weeks, and then discarded. I don't think I have a problem...

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Iunnrais posted:

Well, I am going to fry. We're literally speaking of a religious thing. I mean, I guess I could just buy the fried food, but after last year, my synagogue has learned that I can fry and now expects it of me. Besides, the sufganiyot came out spectacular last year, and I definitely want more of that.

The issue is whether I'm going to fry manually with a thermometer and gas stove, or have a device that can make sure I don't set my kitchen on fire when I try it. I mean, I haven't burned down my kitchen yet, but it's kindof scary.

I had to stand over the pot of oil staring at that thermometer, and I found it distressing how slowly my thermometer would respond-- I'd get the oil to the proper temperature, and add my dough. A minute or two later, the thermometer would drop like a rock in response to the cold stuff having been added. So I need to raise the fire to get it back up... but once I got back to the right temperature and lowered the fire, the thermometer KEPT GOING UP to a scary degree, I assume because various parts of the oil were temping differently and it was evening out.

I'd say about half my efforts turned out perfectly in the end, but maybe a quarter was undercooked, and another quarter was charred and rock hard.

The leftover oil was actually used just during the week, and then maybe once or twice more in the following weeks, and then discarded. I don't think I have a problem...

You can also just rent a deep fryer if this is really the only thing you'd be using it for. Might be able to get a nicer one than you'd buy for yourself too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

novamute posted:

You can also just rent a deep fryer if this is really the only thing you'd be using it for. Might be able to get a nicer one than you'd buy for yourself too.

This isn't a bad idea.

If you do want a deep fryer of your own, however, really look for one with a removable basin so as to make cleaning easier. A surprisingly large number are permanent.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mediaphage posted:

Also deep frying makes your kitchen smell wretched. Like, just really terrible, even if you only use it a couple of times. Ugh, the smell.

Makes damned tasty food, though....

Deep frying doesn't make your kitchen smell terrible? Unless you have rancid oil, but you should be filtering and refreshing your oil to prevent that.

Anyways, deep fryers are the best so I can have cumin dusted totrilla chips whenever I want.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Deep frying doesn't make your kitchen smell terrible? Unless you have rancid oil, but you should be filtering and refreshing your oil to prevent that.

Anyways, deep fryers are the best so I can have cumin dusted totrilla chips whenever I want.

No, I really don't like the smell of oil, even when it's fresh. Having my whole kitchen smell like fried food is unpleasant. I'm not the only one that feels this way.

htabz
Jan 15, 2004
I'm looking to purchase an outdoor burner for wok cooking. I am fairly clueless, and do not want to blow my legs off!

I recently have gotten into cooking and most of my favorite dishes are prepared in a wok. I've read multiple places that typical gas ranges in homes simply do not have the heat for true wok cooking. The outdoor burners I've seen suggested seem fairly cheap (60-$150) though nothing has really stood out to me as the frontrunner.

I'm mainly concerned about safety and ease of use. I intend on using it 3-4 times a week, and after reading through the manual for some of the products (which I imagine are a little bit over the top for liability reasons) seems like a lot of work every time you want to use the thing with checking for gas leaks. The only real features I think I'd like would be something well made, something to control the flame near the actual burner (not 5ft away on the propane tank) and ideally electric start (is it hard to light these things normally?)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

GigaFool posted:

I honestly recommend you don't get a deep fryer. Once the initial excitement of owning it wears off, you will wish you never let it into your house. At least that was my experience.

Seconding this. Best way is really with a heavy-bottomed pot that's deep, wide, and plenty big. If you can find one of those cast aluminium things from the latino market, they seem to do a fine job. Don't rely so heavily on the thermostat. Get used to looking at the food to see how it's reacting. Look at the bubbles around the surface. I've not used a thermostat to fry anything since I was a kid (and my parents had a fry daddy deep frier), because I got used to looking at the food.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Aren't dutch ovens good to use for frying too? Cast iron should hold the temperature better than aluminum

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Aren't dutch ovens good to use for frying too? Cast iron should hold the temperature better than aluminum

They're pretty good, but anyone with a decent burner, using the correct amount of oil should have no problem with temp dropping in stainless steel/aluminum. One thing that sucks about deep frying in cast iron is cleaning up all that grease residue without using soap.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

One thing you can do is invest that money in a portable induction cooktop with a temperature setting. Then you can even use it outside.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I always use soap after a deep fry cause the seasoning seems to be able to take it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Anybody know of a product capable of getting extreme amounts of buildup off of a ceramic titanium pan? My roommates essentially ruined my $160 Scanpan by cooking on the "ignore until the smoke detector goes off" setting and not cleaning it immediately after use so now it has almost no nonstick property left. I had that thing for a year with daily, intense use, and before they got a hold of it, could wipe out all residue with cold water and a paper towel. :smith:

Also: Shopping for my girlfriend for Christmas. What would you all recommend for mixing bowls and silicone baking sheets? Oven mitts/gloves? Cheap and reliable cutting board?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I am pro-Ove Glove. Even my dainty ladyhands have no problem with flexibility or grip. Also I am pro-Silpat but make sure they fit your baking sheets.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what ceramic titanium is, but Bar Keeper's Friend is my kitchen go-to for making pans look good again.

As for the others, get real Silpats or at least silicone sheets that are molded over cord like the silpats. I had a baking sheet that was just straight silicone, but when you heat it it expands and gets wrinkly and fucks up your cookies.

For cutting boards, I have a giant bamboo one for roasts and poo poo, and then 6 or so plastic ones for everything else. Having multiple boards is nice so that you don't have to worry about washing/cross contamination when you're cooking.

No specific recommendations on mixing bowls. I have stainless steel and glass ones, and why I choose one over the other is a fairly random decision.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks for the recommendations! Barkeeper's Friend didn't do anything for the pan. Neither did baking soda or anything else I could think of. :smith:

This is my list of stuff so far based on what she is missing (which is a lot):

http://amzn.com/w/2URTREUCANXRV

Thoughts?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ceramic will lose nonstick property after a certain point, your roommates just took it to that point overnight instead of in a few years.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I would be thrilled to get a haul like this. The pancake/egg ring is kinda weird but it's your gf.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Xovaan posted:

Thoughts?

That cutting board is tiny IMO. Everything else looks great

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

That cutting board is tiny IMO

+1. If I were you I'd opt for a sani-tuff cutting board instead.

also, plastic mixing bowls will get dingy really fast. I'd spend a few extra bux for some glass ones.

pancake molds? I don't get why these are necessary.

and, I'd get a real whetstone over that accusharp. You're not going to get a very good edge with it. http://www.amazon.com/Suehiro-D1069...grit+waterstone

Other than that, everything looks good.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Xovaan posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! Barkeeper's Friend didn't do anything for the pan. Neither did baking soda or anything else I could think of. :smith:

Thoughts?

Agree with the cutting board being too small. The chef's knife you chose (which I love mine) is larger than the board.

Also, knife sharpeners aren't 100% necessary and some would argue a bad idea as people overuse em.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Doh004 posted:

Also, knife sharpeners aren't 100% necessary and some would argue a bad idea as people overuse em.
Some people would argue the silliest goddamn things.

That said, pull-through sharpeners aren't a good idea---they're not particularly good at their intended task (sharpening knives), they're not very flexible (in terms of what you can sharpen with them, angle of bevel, and so on), and to top it off they tend to gently caress up knives due to their design (bad materials in the sharpening surfaces, tendency to go off-true rapidly due to the small sharpening area, and their habit of picking up sharpening detritus which becomes abrasive).

For anyone just getting into sharpening I'd recommend a simple Norton coarse/fine duplex stone. If you're really paranoid about not knowing how to sharpen without a gadget to hand-hold you through the process, the Spyderco Sharpmaker is well-thought of, especially for the price. I don't hate 'em, but I'm not crazy about them either.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Charmmi posted:

I would be thrilled to get a haul like this. The pancake/egg ring is kinda weird but it's your gf.

Yeah it was just a vague idea because she makes protein powder pancakes in the morning but in hind sight it seems a bit silly ahah

Sans-egg ring things, sans-sharpener (I'll just get them professionally sharpened) and avec-larger cutting board then. Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm actually gonna be getting the Victorinox knife for myself and giving her my Miyabi since she loves cooking with it. Plus that way I don't feel bad about my roommates using that too. :ssh:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Xovaan posted:

Yeah it was just a vague idea because she makes protein powder pancakes in the morning but in hind sight it seems a bit silly ahah

Sans-egg ring things, sans-sharpener (I'll just get them professionally sharpened) and avec-larger cutting board then. Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm actually gonna be getting the Victorinox knife for myself and giving her my Miyabi since she loves cooking with it. Plus that way I don't feel bad about my roommates using that too. :ssh:

I would add a hone to replace the sharpener - if it gets used daily, it will keep the knife in much better shape and mean far fewer trips to the grinding stone.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

GigaFool posted:

One thing you can do is invest that money in a portable induction cooktop with a temperature setting. Then you can even use it outside.

Are these things any good? I saw an infomercial for on a few nights ago and it made me curious. Also what brands would be good if I decide to buy one?

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone recommend some decent heavy duty half sheet pans?

I'm using some cheap nonstick sheets that warp and buckle constantly. It sounds like someone's taking a hammer to my oven whenever I bake things. :(

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

a handful of dust posted:

I'm using some cheap nonstick sheets that warp and buckle constantly. It sounds like someone's taking a hammer to my oven whenever I bake things. :(

they're cheap enough that I just personally get new ones when the nonstick gets hosed or they warp. I bought a set of three a year ago that are still chugging away in good shape from a random cheapo kitchen odds and ends store for like $9. just make sure the ones you're buying look and feel thick enough to where they don't do that metal warping hammer sounding thing.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

a handful of dust posted:

Go to a restaurant supply store, you can get heavy duty steel pans for ~5-10bux each, they'll last forever.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Anybody know of a product capable of getting extreme amounts of buildup off of a ceramic titanium pan? My roommates essentially ruined my $160 Scanpan by cooking on the "ignore until the smoke detector goes off" setting and not cleaning it immediately after use so now it has almost no nonstick property left. I had that thing for a year with daily, intense use, and before they got a hold of it, could wipe out all residue with cold water and a paper towel. :smith:

Also: Shopping for my girlfriend for Christmas. What would you all recommend for mixing bowls and silicone baking sheets? Oven mitts/gloves? Cheap and reliable cutting board?

You might try those melamine foam scrubbers, à la Mr Clean Magic Erasers. I use those to clean our ceramic nonsticks.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

dalstrs posted:

Are these things any good? I saw an infomercial for on a few nights ago and it made me curious. Also what brands would be good if I decide to buy one?

I have a Fagor one that I picked up at Marshall's for $100 about a year ago. It's an incredible device and I use it for anything I'd use a normal cooktop for. The only thing I wish it had is a temperature setting instead of the "1/2/3/4/5/6" setting. If I bought a replacement, that's a feature I'd look for. At this point I'd probably base any recommendation on Amazon reviews, as I haven't done much research into brands, etc.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

For anyone just getting into sharpening I'd recommend a simple Norton coarse/fine duplex stone.

Any specific products? I went to Norton's site and got overwhelmed with products.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hed posted:

Any specific products? I went to Norton's site and got overwhelmed with products.
One of these is the kind of coarse/fine Norton stone I had in mind, but I just use it as an example of a generic stone rather than as a specific recommendation. I like the crystolon stones in general, as they tend to have good wear characteristics compared to most natural stones (and so you don't have to worry about flattening them as often). And I tend to prefer oilstones over whetstones just because they're less fussy as well as having better wear resistance. It's not magic though and pretty much any stone from a reputable manufacturer will work more or less like every other stone of the same grit.

The only real caveat I'd add is that if you've got a lot of knives with exotic steels with high carbide content you might want to invest in a set of DMT diamond hones, as almost all other sharpening stones will be softer than the carbide groups.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Which meat/leave-in oven thermometers would you guys recommend? I've seen a lot of mixed opinions on some of the more popular models, so I figured I would ask here first before buying.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
They fall apart after a while, so look for one that has a detachable/replaceable cord/probe and with metal shielding on the cord instead of plastic.

This should be a good one, I recall several people recommended it last Thanksgiving:
http://www.amazon.com/ThermoWorks-O...ords=meat+probe

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's the one I use. It's more straightforward than most in that you set the temp and it beeps at that temp. Some others beep early (because of carryover) but I know what temp I want to pull something at. Worse, there are others that let you choose what kind of meat you're cooking, which only works if you're cooking to 1950's doneness standards.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Digita...ermometer+probe

We use this one, and it's great. Like dem said, this one beeps at the temp you want, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

SubG posted:

One of these is the kind of coarse/fine Norton stone I had in mind, but I just use it as an example of a generic stone rather than as a specific recommendation. I like the crystolon stones in general, as they tend to have good wear characteristics compared to most natural stones (and so you don't have to worry about flattening them as often). And I tend to prefer oilstones over whetstones just because they're less fussy as well as having better wear resistance. It's not magic though and pretty much any stone from a reputable manufacturer will work more or less like every other stone of the same grit.

The only real caveat I'd add is that if you've got a lot of knives with exotic steels with high carbide content you might want to invest in a set of DMT diamond hones, as almost all other sharpening stones will be softer than the carbide groups.

I notice the stone you linked seems to have two really low grits - 100 and 280. I've only used a 1000 grit waterstone, so are oil stones different/do they just use a more coarse surface?

• Locked thread