Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are people randomly posting pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Mak0rz posted:

Uh, this makes you somewhat of an anti-vaxxer...

Family history is a perfectly legitimate medical reason. I have received other vaccines, but I'd rather take the chance of relying on herd immunity than a pinprick for that one type of disease.

ToxicFrog posted:

Congratulations, you are part of the problem. And when enough people think like that, there aren't enough "pincushions" around to keep you safe anymore.

(P.S. the link between flu shots and GBS is tenuous at best, and in the worst case doubles your odds of contracting GBS, to a shocking...0.0002%. If you're over 50.)

"Enough people" won't think that. There's, what, a few hundred descendants of people who got GBS concurrent with the 1976 flu vaccine? I have a feeling we're not part of the problem with vaccines. And yes, it doubles it from infinitesimal to infinitesimal, for the general population - but if there's a genetic history then that instantly puts me in a higher bracket. I'd rather not.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 15, 2012

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

randyest posted:

E: and is that a Kate Beaton joke or do you not know how to spell beaten oh god what's going on in here :psyduck:

If you look at my post history you will find that English is not my first language.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

axolotl farmer posted:

X/Y*100

e: Beaton

and how can you not know that?

Because I haven't studied maths in...8 years, and even then I wasn't very good at it :eng99:

Thanks to all for the help, though :)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Golbez posted:

Family history is a perfectly legitimate medical reason. I have received other vaccines, but I'd rather take the chance of relying on herd immunity than a pinprick for that one type of disease.

"Enough people" won't think that. There's, what, a few hundred descendants of people who got GBS concurrent with the 1976 flu vaccine? I have a feeling we're not part of the problem with vaccines. And yes, it doubles it from infinitesimal to infinitesimal, for the general population - but if there's a genetic history then that instantly puts me in a higher bracket. I'd rather not.
It doesn't double the odds. Depending on which study you look at, it increases it by 1 in 1 million or not at all. And there's no real evidence that you have the susceptible gene even if your relative did.

But we're talking about the flu shot, not polio or smallpox, so whatever.

axolotl farmer posted:

If you look at my post history you will find that English is not my first language.
It's cool; after that percentage post I thought you were joking or referring to Kate Beaton. Does your browser have a spellchecker? Not ragging, just curious.

randyest fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 15, 2012

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Don't rag on the guy, he specifically went to the "stupid/small" questions thread.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

randyest posted:

It doesn't double the odds. Depending on which study you look at, it increases it by 1 in 1 million or not at all. And there's no real evidence that you have the susceptible gene even if your relative did.

But we're talking about the flu shot, not polio or smallpox, so whatever.

At least my reason makes more sense than Jenny McCarthy's et.al.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Turtlicious posted:

I'm trying to find work, and want to get started at Geek Squad, or at a call center doing over the phone tech support. How do I get started? Is this a good career path if I want to transfer out of my hometown somewhere else? (I loving HATE Los Angeles, and want to move to San Jose or Livermore or somewhere just... Nicer.)

I'll chime in with some first hand experience here. I worked for the Geek Squad for about a year. Was hired on directly to the squad, which is unusual, as they want you to usually put in your dues on the sales floor first. Why, because it's all about upselling.

At the time I worked there, I think I was working for the only competent store in the area. It used to be about fixing people's computers and sending them on their merry way. From what I understand now, it's only about how much they can sell you. There is no more option to "Tell me what's wrong" for $70. I think it's an all inclusive "general computer problem" package for $150 as a baseline.

I'm pretty good at repairing issues, and at Best Buy (and probably every other big box tech center) 95% of what you encounter is spyware/virus stuff. Good practice, and some very practical skills can get honed. Or you can just reload the OS.

As I stated the big focus is selling poo poo to people. Computer running slow? Sell em some RAM (on top of cleaning up software issues). Still running slow? New computer time. Plus for an extra $25, we'll open the box, install the software/hardware we sold you, and make sure the login has your name on it. (This is all we did on Black Friday. For hours.)

Also, you probably won't get the "cool" job, running around in the little car, going to people's homes and flashing the badge (gently caress the haters. It is a real, professional quality, this is where cops get their badges from, badge.) That is reserved for the high level guys and it is the most coveted spot. Lot of freedom, big pay boost, and that's the job everyone thinks of when they think of working for the Geek Squad. You won't get that. You will be glorified register bitch.

Now, and for roughly the past 7-8 years I have been doing phone tech support to different degrees and under different titles. I like it better in terms of job satisfaction, and it pays better at this point. Phone support/call centers have a high turnover for a reason, you are going to start off getting yelled at by people who have no business sitting in front of a computer, for something that you didn't do, and most likely they did. It will eat away at the very fabric of your belief in the human mind and erode away most of you faith. Depending on the job I had freedom all the way up to "Connect to the user's network remotely and fiddle with their server configuration" down to "You aren't allowed to tell the users to reboot unless it's on the flowchart".

But I'm getting way off topic. If you have some basic skills, and you don't mind answering the same question over and over again, for the same three people, go for phone support. If you are more sales inclined, try for Geek Squad, but you'll probably have to hit the sales floor first. Most temp/placement agencies will have a lot of openings for call center people, so that would be a good place to start.

drat. That's a lot of resentment for my past jobs.

GreenCard78 posted:

Has anyone ever gotten a ticket while using a uhaul?

It looks like you got some kind of answer, but I'd double check the math. You started off stating that it was a $70 charge and edited in a total of $55.

It makes sense that it took a long time though because, presumably, the offence had to occur (and it wasn't a speeding ticket or other offence you were pulled over for from context, I'm guessing running a red) the plate had to be run, u-haul had to check their records, see who had that truck at that time, and then track you down. Since you were likely moving, that might have taken some time.

If you really doubt it, ask them to send you a copy of the original ticket.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 15, 2012

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Turtlicious posted:

I'm trying to find work, and want to get started at Geek Squad, or at a call center doing over the phone tech support. How do I get started? Is this a good career path if I want to transfer out of my hometown somewhere else? (I loving HATE Los Angeles, and want to move to San Jose or Livermore or somewhere just... Nicer.)

You should go read this thread and this thread before deciding if this is the path you want to take.

In fact everyone should read those threads because they are awesome entertainment and you might be the problem at your place of work and not know it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CzarChasm posted:

I'll chime in with some first hand experience here. I worked for the Geek Squad for about a year. Was hired on directly to the squad, which is unusual, as they want you to usually put in your dues on the sales floor first. Why, because it's all about upselling.

At the time I worked there, I think I was working for the only competent store in the area. It used to be about fixing people's computers and sending them on their merry way. From what I understand now, it's only about how much they can sell you. There is no more option to "Tell me what's wrong" for $70. I think it's an all inclusive "general computer problem" package for $150 as a baseline.

I'm pretty good at repairing issues, and at Best Buy (and probably every other big box tech center) 95% of what you encounter is spyware/virus stuff. Good practice, and some very practical skills can get honed. Or you can just reload the OS.

As I stated the big focus is selling poo poo to people. Computer running slow? Sell em some RAM (on top of cleaning up software issues). Still running slow? New computer time. Plus for an extra $25, we'll open the box, install the software/hardware we sold you, and make sure the login has your name on it. (This is all we did on Black Friday. For hours.)

Also, you probably won't get the "cool" job, running around in the little car, going to people's homes and flashing the badge (gently caress the haters. It is a real, professional quality, this is where cops get their badges from, badge.) That is reserved for the high level guys and it is the most coveted spot. Lot of freedom, big pay boost, and that's the job everyone thinks of when they think of working for the Geek Squad. You won't get that. You will be glorified register bitch.

Now, and for roughly the past 7-8 years I have been doing phone tech support to different degrees and under different titles. I like it better in terms of job satisfaction, and it pays better at this point. Phone support/call centers have a high turnover for a reason, you are going to start off getting yelled at by people who have no business sitting in front of a computer, for something that you didn't do, and most likely they did. It will eat away at the very fabric of your belief in the human mind and erode away most of you faith. Depending on the job I had freedom all the way up to "Connect to the user's network remotely and fiddle with their server configuration" down to "You aren't allowed to tell the users to reboot unless it's on the flowchart".

But I'm getting way off topic. If you have some basic skills, and you don't mind answering the same question over and over again, for the same three people, go for phone support. If you are more sales inclined, try for Geek Squad, but you'll probably have to hit the sales floor first. Most temp/placement agencies will have a lot of openings for call center people, so that would be a good place to start.

I kinda just wanted to sit in the back and fix poo poo, as I assumed that's what you did in Geek Squad, let people with personalities actually do the talking part. I just want to get computers working. I was able to take MASSIVE amounts of abuse in my telemarketing job, so I'm hoping I can handle a job similar to that but not having to worry about selling people stuff. (Seriously, gently caress Sales, I always feel so slimy when I have to lie to people for their money.) How'd you get the customer service jobs? (I know you said temp agencies, but do you have any you'd reccomend? Also how do they work?)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Avocados posted:

I'm just curious as to why some people go all out on avoiding what appears to be one of the best medical practices out there for them and more importantly, their kids. Anyways thanks for the answers all.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
^^^^Yeah, that kind of sums up my post as well.

Turtlicious posted:

I kinda just wanted to sit in the back and fix poo poo, as I assumed that's what you did in Geek Squad, let people with personalities actually do the talking part. I just want to get computers working. I was able to take MASSIVE amounts of abuse in my telemarketing job, so I'm hoping I can handle a job similar to that but not having to worry about selling people stuff. (Seriously, gently caress Sales, I always feel so slimy when I have to lie to people for their money.) How'd you get the customer service jobs? (I know you said temp agencies, but do you have any you'd reccomend? Also how do they work?)

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Unfortunately, not the case, I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, you will be "in the back" working on computers and fixing the issues. But "in the back" actually means "kind of off to the side where customers can still see you". That may vary a bit from store to store, but no one spends 8 hours nose buried in a computer issue and never dealing with the public. That's kind of the whole premise is to take away the mystery, and the idea of some tech troll taking your computer into so darkened corner and performing the appropriate rites to save your data. No, it's happy smiling people, who bullshit you and make you feel relaxed and comfortable and willing to spend more.

If you are looking for a kind of job where you don't deal with the public but you fix up computers you have a handful of options. Depending on your personal resources, you can go into business for yourself. Problem is, at some point all those people you don't want to deal with are the people who give you money. Not an optimal solution, but you can make a little extra scratch doing this on the side.

Another option is with the rollout of the last few Windows OS systems, there are companies that specialize in going to other companies and upgrading their software/hardware a few hundred units at a time. Boring and unreliable, and since Windows 8 is not exactly built with business users in mind, probably not happening a whole hell of a lot. Though, ironically, my last company is just now migrating everyone to Windows 7, so that would be an example. 20,000+ computers that need to be upgraded. The other major downside is that as soon as the OS is loaded everywhere, job's done - hit the bricks.

The only other possible avenue that would be like what you are looking for is to work for a relatively small company that doesn't specialize in IT. Then you would be one of the few go to guys to fix computer problems. The downside is two fold here: 1)If all you are hired to do is fix issues as they come up, they are either not going to hire you full time, or it will be your main focus, but you'll actually spend most of your day doing office work. If you are cool with a jack of all trades kind of job, this is pretty good. 2) If you do get on as the full time, main computer guy, you had better know your poo poo, because they are going to be looking to you to solve it. And if you find yourself in that position, the solution better be free, because there is absolutely no money in the budget. If there was, they wouldn't hire just one guy.

I would recommend checking staffing companies still. I don't know what they have in Cali, but Kelly Staffing, Experis, Manpower, Adecco, Accenture, and probably hundreds of others will likely have opportunities. Those are just the ones I can name off of my head. I currently work for Manpower/Experis/Accenture (it's complicated), but if you search Career Builder for tech jobs, 90% or better will be contract or contract to hire. Those are usually staffing company jobs.

It's not terrible to be a contractor, but depending on where you work, there might be a bit of a divide between contractors and "real" employees. But that is usually a failing of management more that the employees themselves. The major downside to being a contractor is right there in the name. You are contracted for a set period of time, usually 3, 6 or 12 months and then technically your time would be up. However, past experience has shown me that if you show up and just do your job, they'll renew the contract or extend it or whatever they call it this time. Contract to hire is usually pretty rare and can often be the carrot that they dangle in front of you, but it is usually so much cheaper for the parent company to just keep you on as a contractor.

Sorry, if I'm posting too much. It's pretty rare that I have experience that can actually help someone.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Can someone give me a simple rundown of how the French healthcare system works? I'm not sure how up-to-date some of the Google information is, and just having a basic outline would be pretty helpful for understanding what I'm actually reading.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ToxicFrog posted:

Congratulations, you are part of the problem. And when enough people think like that, there aren't enough "pincushions" around to keep you safe anymore.

(P.S. the link between flu shots and GBS is tenuous at best, and in the worst case doubles your odds of contracting GBS, to a shocking...0.0002%. If you're over 50.)

Is GBS the same condition that lady got a few years ago (I saw some clip somewhere) that reduced her to a twitching heap of muscle-spasms most of the time, but as long as she was running or walking backwards she was completely normal...?

That poo poo was frightening.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

second-hand smegma posted:

Is GBS the same condition that lady got a few years ago (I saw some clip somewhere) that reduced her to a twitching heap of muscle-spasms most of the time, but as long as she was running or walking backwards she was completely normal...?

That poo poo was frightening.

That was a hoax.

She was 'cured' by a quack who ran some holistic 'toxic cleanse' crap on her and diagnosed her with a bunch of fake anti-vax conditions.

TheGame fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 16, 2012

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

stubblyhead posted:

One of my middle school math books phrased it like this--

a% of b = c (a% * b = c in math terms).

So in your case, a% * 800 = 500, so divide 500/800 and you find that it's 0.625, or 62.5%.

The easiest way to remember it is simply that "divided by" means "out of", as in "9/10 nutritionists recommend kids eat Weet-Bix." So "500 out of 800" is 500/800.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I want software that will allow me to create (convert from jpg), merge, edit (insert/delete, rotate, etc.), and compress PDF files. I would rather not pay more than $50 (less would be awesome). I have tried a lot of small freeware programs and I'm not having too much luck. "PDF Split and Merge" does most of what I need, but it doesn't convert from JPG. I have JPG2PDF which does, but the files it outputs are huge. Should I just resign myself to making the JPGs very small then converting them?

The reason I need to do this is I have a hand scanner thing that is super awesome for scanning bits of books on the go, but it stores them as JPGs.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I want software that will allow me to create (convert from jpg), merge, edit (insert/delete, rotate, etc.), and compress PDF files. I would rather not pay more than $50 (less would be awesome). I have tried a lot of small freeware programs and I'm not having too much luck. "PDF Split and Merge" does most of what I need, but it doesn't convert from JPG. I have JPG2PDF which does, but the files it outputs are huge. Should I just resign myself to making the JPGs very small then converting them?

The reason I need to do this is I have a hand scanner thing that is super awesome for scanning bits of books on the go, but it stores them as JPGs.

If you're using mac, just open all the files in preview (based on file names, they should be in the right order), then choose to print them as a PDF.

Of course, if you want to be able to edit them/use them on an ebook reader, why not try one of the free OCR apps into which you can dump the jpgs and get clean editable text files back?

EDIT: If you're on windows then I have no idea I'm afraid :downs:

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 16, 2012

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I have fruit flies living in my sink and they're pissing me off. What's my best option to get rid of them?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If they're actually breeding/living in the sink you have some kind of problem with your bend/garbo or something because theoretically there shouldn't be anything there for them live on. Do a rinse with bleach and super hot water?

If you want to catch the ones already flying around though this trick actually works: get some apple cider vinegar, and put about 2 finger in a coffee cup. Then put saran wrap over the top, and use an elastic band to seal the saran wrap to the cup. Now poke a little hole in the middle of the saran wrap; flies go in, they don't go out. At a former work place we took over the lease and had a big fly problem (they were storing garbage in the i-bar ceiling :gonk: ) and I swear we put these things up and had to empty them twice a day they were killing so many flies.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Captain Novolin posted:

I have fruit flies living in my sink and they're pissing me off. What's my best option to get rid of them?
Find the food they're eating and remove it. If they're in your sink it may be partially clogged with organic matter in the drain on which they are feeding. Bleach / hot water the drain and/or clean it out properly with a drum auger. Meanwhile / after, seal the drain hole and set up vinegar traps to kill the fuckers that are swarming around outside the drain. Google fruit fly vinegar trap or just put vinegar (or wine) in an open container and watch them dive to their deaths.

I loving hate fruit flies.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Thanks, it looks like there's something stuck in my drain but I can't get at it because it's under the grate thingy and I don't have a cleanout on my trap.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Captain Novolin posted:

Thanks, it looks like there's something stuck in my drain but I can't get at it because it's under the grate thingy and I don't have a cleanout on my trap.

Dump some drain cleaner/clog breakup gel in there.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
How do you get infiltrated with fruit flies in the first place? I have a feeling they are lying in wait whenever I get bananas, peaches, or cantaloupe in particular. Likely?

As an afterthought: late to everything having to do with vaccines and specifically flu shots, but I thought it was just polite to allow the finite supplies to go to the very young, the very old, and the immuno-compromised each flu season. This is misinformed libertarian bozo-think?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Liebfraumilch posted:

How do you get infiltrated with fruit flies in the first place? I have a feeling they are lying in wait whenever I get bananas, peaches, or cantaloupe in particular.

I got fruit flies once a few years ago when a chunk of banana fell down next to the stove. Step one, clean house, with particular attention to the dishes: a dribble of coke at the bottom of a glass can sustain those little bastards for generations. Step two, build traps: a bottle with a bit of orange juice at the bottom, and a paper cone pointing downward into the top, with an opening just big enough to admit a fruit fly, all secured together with tape.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Liebfraumilch posted:

How do you get infiltrated with fruit flies in the first place? I have a feeling they are lying in wait whenever I get bananas, peaches, or cantaloupe in particular. Likely?

As an afterthought: late to everything having to do with vaccines and specifically flu shots, but I thought it was just polite to allow the finite supplies to go to the very young, the very old, and the immuno-compromised each flu season. This is misinformed libertarian bozo-think?

It's the refusing to take them when there's plenty to go around that's the problem. Nothing wrong with prioritizing others ahead of you.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Liebfraumilch posted:

When supplies are short, that's one thing. When supplies are sufficient, then your not passing the flu around does all those people (and everyone else) a big favor. It's hard to get the flu if nobody around you has it.

Also, vaccines while very effective are not 100% perfect. So, if there's a small chance someone doesn't have a sufficient vaccine response to fend off the real virus, your not being sick around that person helps them (and vice versa).

A few people cannot take certain vaccines (for good medical reasons not related to antivax paranoia). Those people are also relying on others to not have the flu in the first place. (This is especially true for infants too young to be immunized.)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

Are you sure that you have fruit flies, and not some kind of flies that live in drains? This is important, because the juice/vinegar/soap traps only work on Drosophilidae. Here are some common small diptera that I have heard non-entomologists refer to as fruit flies.

This is a Drosophilia fruit fly. They breed in rotting fruit and are attracted to the smell of fermentation: any combination of yeast, vinegar, alcohol and fruit. Most of them have red eyes.

This is a psychodid midge. They are extremely common in bathroom and kitchen drains and water locks. They breed in the biofilm of bacteria and gunk that covers the inside of plumbing. Will not be attracted to the fruitfly trap. Only way to get rid of them is to destroy their habitat with boiling water or drain cleaner.

This is a sciarid, or a dark-winged fungus gnat. If you have potted plants in your house, you also have these. Tiny tiny gnats that breed in damp soil and swarm up when you water.

This is a phorid fly. Some species breed in the gunk habitat like the psychodids and actually eat their larvae.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

Are you sure that you have fruit flies, and not some kind of flies that live in drains? This is important, because the juice/vinegar/soap traps only work on Drosophilidae. Here are some common small diptera that I have heard non-entomologists refer to as fruit flies.

This is a Drosophilia fruit fly. They breed in rotting fruit and are attracted to the smell of fermentation: any combination of yeast, vinegar, alcohol and fruit. Most of them have red eyes.

This is a psychodid midge. They are extremely common in bathroom and kitchen drains and water locks. They breed in the biofilm of bacteria and gunk that covers the inside of plumbing. Will not be attracted to the fruitfly trap. Only way to get rid of them is to destroy their habitat with boiling water or drain cleaner.

This is a sciarid, or a dark-winged fungus gnat. If you have potted plants in your house, you also have these. Tiny tiny gnats that breed in damp soil and swarm up when you water.

This is a phorid fly. Some species breed in the gunk habitat like the psychodids and actually eat their larvae.

Yeah, I'm positive they're fruit flies. They showed up when I had some grapefruits that I kept for too long and just never left. I'll pick up sone drain cleaner and some vinegar tomorrow, and get to trappin' and cleanin'

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
After the pot legalization vote in Washington, I've heard a similar comment from several people that new grow operations are likely to be owned by former law enforcement officers. "It's the cops who will get rich!" being the pothead complaint.

Where the hell are they getting this idea?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Noni posted:

After the pot legalization vote in Washington, I've heard a similar comment from several people that new grow operations are likely to be owned by former law enforcement officers. "It's the cops who will get rich!" being the pothead complaint.

If legalization activists are to believed, the fact that anyone who wants to can grow pot should make it less expensive -- i.e., people won't really be getting rich off of it...

But then again, look at spices. Anyone can grow some herbs if they want, but spices are still loving expensive in the supermarket.

[/tangent]

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The Bloodless Revolution wasn't bloodless and arguably wasn't a revolution—so... what's the closest thing we've had to one in the history of the world?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

The Bloodless Revolution wasn't bloodless and arguably wasn't a revolution—so... what's the closest thing we've had to one in the history of the world?
List of nonviolent revolutions by era

I was inclined to say fat chance of that ever happening, good thing I decided to google that one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

axolotl farmer posted:

drat did these guys ever drive me crazy at my old place. Nice to put a name to them, the bastards!

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Noni posted:

... because the cops are going to grow all of the marijuana plants that they've seized over the years?

It looks to me, like anyone is going to be able to apply for a license to grow marijuana, but it's going to be financially unfeasible for individuals to do so. A license application costs $250, and a license costs $1000 per year. Also, there is a three-tier system set up to insure that growers cannot be processors cannot be retailers. I can't find anything that would give former cops a heads-up on anyone else, and really, I don't think that anyone is going to have a small-scale grow operation anyway.

My bet is that:
  • Potheads hate cops
  • Potheads in Washington have been trained to hate I-502 by medical marijuana dispensaries

Full Text of I-502

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

The Singing Revolution of the Baltic countries, off the top of my head. They're not unheard of.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

The Velvet revolution threw out the communist government in Czechoslovakia in 1989. Mass demonstrations, general strikes but no riots or violence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvet_Revolution

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Eggplant Wizard posted:

What I used to recommend to people at work was CutePDF, it doesn't do anything clever, just allows any app to print to a PDF file, but you could possibly do all your edit/merge stuff in word and then create the PDF from that? It allows any app that can print to create a PDF file, but option are fairly limited.
OpenOffice also has an export as PDF option, which may be helpful.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I I've just checked the pricing of nitro pro 8, unfortunately it's $120 but I use it at work & I've never used anything better for editing/working with pdfs. If 14 days is enough they have a free trial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Imagemagick is a free command line tool that will do most of the things you want. To convert a jpg to pdf all you do is convert myjpg.jpg mypdf.pdf. The file size barely increases.

You can probably combine pdfs together too, but a more powerful tool for all pdf operations is pdftk.

Both are open source and free (don't know if they're free as in :rms2: or just no-cost). Available for all platforms.