Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head
Americans, please teach me how to make those things you call biscuits that are basically scones. Google just gives me recipes for actual biscuits - I think it knows I'm a Limey. Since I'm here, those breakfast sausage patty things have sage in 'em, right? Any other key seasonings or just whatever? Trying to recreate biscuits and gravy here, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
For anyone who dabbles in cornbread that is sweetened you are doing yourself a great disservice by not using honey to sweeten it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

For anyone who dabbles in cornbread that is sweetened you are doing yourself a great disservice by not using honey to sweeten it.
I love honey so I'll check that out! Any ideas on honey:sugar equivalence ratios? Is 1tsp of honey as sweet as 1tsp honey?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Oh yeah, I like spicy cornbread too. Just saying sugar is a southern thing, not a new england thing.

East of the Rockies is pretty much all New Jersey as far as I'm concerned.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

therattle posted:

I love honey so I'll check that out! Any ideas on honey:sugar equivalence ratios? Is 1tsp of honey as sweet as 1tsp honey?

When I bake with honey I usually do 1 cup honey = 1.25 of sugar and I also reduce how much liquid I add by around .25 cups per cup of honey used. With cornbread, especially skillet cornbread it is basically impossible to mess up though!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Charmmi posted:

Which ones would you specifically recommend?

Alton Brown had a whole episode on knives where he chops up a lot of different things, skip the first 6 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV5ydwB9T4Y

I don't care for how he cuts onions though. I do this instead (although the way he holds his onion scares me)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs8cQ_tjsF8

Most importantly, DO NOT EVER FOCUS ON CUTTING FASTER. Cut safely, and with time and practice your cutting will naturally get faster.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 15, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Mr. Wiggles posted:

East of the Rockies is pretty much all New Jersey as far as I'm concerned.

You are a monster you goddamn dirty hippie

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Myopic posted:

Americans, please teach me how to make those things you call biscuits that are basically scones. Google just gives me recipes for actual biscuits - I think it knows I'm a Limey. Since I'm here, those breakfast sausage patty things have sage in 'em, right? Any other key seasonings or just whatever? Trying to recreate biscuits and gravy here, obviously.

A biscuit, in America, is a very simple quickbread made of flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk, and fat (butter or lard). Simply mix dry ingredients together (figure 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon each salt and powder, 1/2 teaspoon soda). Cut in the fat and then work it into the dry ingredients until you have a very uniform, crumbly mixture. Then add the liquid and mix as little as possible, just until everything is incorporated. Turn out onto a board, and gently form into a sheet roughly 1 inch thick. Use a drinking glass or something and cut rounds, placing the rounds onto an ungreased sheet. Squish the remaining material together to use it all up, and bake at 400F (220C I suppose) for half an hour or so, or until golden brown on top.

To serve, they are split open and spread with butter and jam, or maybe honey, or whatever you want. To serve with gravy, you have to make a sausage gravy. That you make like so:

Cook up very fatty pork sausage (the spicy kind with sage in it, though pretty much anything will do in a pinch) until it's crumbled and cooked through. Add flour to the pan to make a simple roux with the fat from the sausage, cook a bit, and then add milk - as much milk as you would like gravy, so at least a couple of cups, probably more if you're serving people. Season with way more black pepper than you think you want, and add salt to taste. When it's gotten nice and thick, serve over split biscuits. Over easy eggs on the side with lots of Tobasco sauce and black coffee, and you're looking at what's served in literally any diner in America worth going to. Pretty much second only to chicken and waffles in terms of good American breakfast.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Myopic posted:

I used this recipe last time I made biscuits, it came out nicely.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A biscuit, in America, is a very simple quickbread made of flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk, and fat (butter or lard). Simply mix dry ingredients together (figure 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon each salt and powder, 1/2 teaspoon soda). Cut in the fat and then work it into the dry ingredients until you have a very uniform, crumbly mixture. Then add the liquid and mix as little as possible, just until everything is incorporated. Turn out onto a board, and gently form into a sheet roughly 1 inch thick. Use a drinking glass or something and cut rounds, placing the rounds onto an ungreased sheet. Squish the remaining material together to use it all up, and bake at 400F (220C I suppose) for half an hour or so, or until golden brown on top.

To serve, they are split open and spread with butter and jam, or maybe honey, or whatever you want. To serve with gravy, you have to make a sausage gravy. That you make like so:

Cook up very fatty pork sausage (the spicy kind with sage in it, though pretty much anything will do in a pinch) until it's crumbled and cooked through. Add flour to the pan to make a simple roux with the fat from the sausage, cook a bit, and then add milk - as much milk as you would like gravy, so at least a couple of cups, probably more if you're serving people. Season with way more black pepper than you think you want, and add salt to taste. When it's gotten nice and thick, serve over split biscuits. Over easy eggs on the side with lots of Tobasco sauce and black coffee, and you're looking at what's served in literally any diner in America worth going to. Pretty much second only to chicken and waffles in terms of good American breakfast.

*Tabasco

I'll be doing this tonight pretty much, but using bacon instead of sausage.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Thanks friends!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Seconding this video, I made this dish and LOVED it. The potatoes are to die for.

If fish isn't your/her thing, I recommend this dish too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eo3TNdYS3E

Not sure if a chicken and rice dish is too un-fancy.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head
Thank you both. For the record I know what the deal is with biscuits and gravy, I'm just wondering how to make 'em. I was in TN earlier this year for a wedding. Good hangover cure! Out of curiousity, why both soda and powder? Is that common? I'm no baker.

Although I did have to search for the meaning of "over easy". I'm having difficulty imagining why you'd fry an egg any other way - what kind of crazy person doesn't want a runny yolk?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

If fish isn't your/her thing, I recommend this dish too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eo3TNdYS3E

Not sure if a chicken and rice dish is too un-fancy.

Basque food is not the same as Spanish food.

But that's okay because that video is of English food.

For serious reply, in order to make that dish better, don't use boullion cubes, use 3 times the onion and at least 10 times the garlic, and the peppers need to be a bit more caramelized or else the whole thing might end up a bit too sweet, especially with the oranges.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We don't use sugar where I'm from, hombre. Sometimes jalapenos. I think you understand.
I agree. If I was in a hole in the wall BBQ in east Texas and got sweet cornbread I'd be surprised.

Well, okay. I'd be kinda surprised to get cornbread at all, actually---a real hole in the wall place would serve sliced white bread and saltines, some sliced onions, some cheddar, and a pickle wedge along with BBQ. Or at least used to. So instead of a hole in the wall BBQ place, maybe with chicken fried steak from a truck stop or something along those lines. In any case, I wouldn't expect sweet cornbread.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This is pretty much how I do it. I'd just amplified a little on the technique:

When you're cutting in the butter (and I'd always use butter over manteca) I'd take a stick of butter, cut it lengthwise, rotate it, then cut it lengthwise again so you end up with four long narrow sticks of butter. Then you cut these to get little cubes of butter. Nothing magical about this method itself, I'm just giving it to give a measure for about how big I expect the chunks of butter to be.

Right. Then when you're mixing them in, you want to dump your dough onto a flat work surface, and work it into a rectangle (say long side left-to-right). You fold the long sides in to make a square, flip it (so the top, where the folded sides come together ends up on the bottom) and rotate 90 degrees (so say the right edge ends up on top and the bottom edge ends up to the right), and then work it back out into a rectangle (again long side left-to-right) and repeat. The `gimmick' here is that you're flattening the fat out and folding always in the same orientation, so you're encouraging the formation of laminated layers that will give the biscuits a flaky-er structure.

It's common to just cut in the fat any old which way or to use a food processor to do it, but then you get little lumps of fat evenly distributed through the dough, which is very much what I'd expect from scones but which is not what I want out of a biscuit.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I'm usually still asleep when I make biscuits but I suppose that would work if it's something I'd ever actually thought about.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Charmmi posted:

Pleas Halp.

And if you've ever learned, or tried learning a musical instrument, even learning how to type, it's like that. If you try to play an instrument or cut faster than your ability, your body becomes tense, stiff, and uncontrollable. You'll tense up and make mistakes like having a finger in the path of the blade, or lifting the knife just past your guide knuckle and taking a slice out of yourself. Work on control and technique first, and the speed and accuracy will come naturally, like everyone says. You won't even notice the speed creeping up on you.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For serious reply, in order to make that dish better, don't use boullion cubes, use 3 times the onion and at least 10 times the garlic, and the peppers need to be a bit more caramelized or else the whole thing might end up a bit too sweet, especially with the oranges.

Serious question what's wrong with bouillon cubes? I use them a lot when I don't have good stock on hand.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

SubG posted:

When you're cutting in the butter (and I'd always use butter over manteca) I'd take a stick of butter, cut it lengthwise, rotate it, then cut it lengthwise again so you end up with four long narrow sticks of butter. Then you cut these to get little cubes of butter. Nothing magical about this method itself, I'm just giving it to give a measure for about how big I expect the chunks of butter to be.

Right. Then when you're mixing them in, you want to dump your dough onto a flat work surface, and work it into a rectangle (say long side left-to-right). You fold the long sides in to make a square, flip it (so the top, where the folded sides come together ends up on the bottom) and rotate 90 degrees (so say the right edge ends up on top and the bottom edge ends up to the right), and then work it back out into a rectangle (again long side left-to-right) and repeat. The `gimmick' here is that you're flattening the fat out and folding always in the same orientation, so you're encouraging the formation of laminated layers that will give the biscuits a flaky-er structure.

Isn't this what you do to make croissants?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

tarepanda posted:

Isn't this what you do to make croissants?
Similar but different. With biscuits you're using cool butter that's easily malleable in cubes around a cm on a side, and you're flattening them out `inside' the dough. When you're making croissants you use large blocks of very cold butter and pound them out into sheets, then separately roll out your dough, put the sheets of butter on top of the dough, and then sorta fold the dough like a letter, then from there do the roll and rotate thing.

The main difference is that with biscuits you're starting out with a homogeneous dough and you're working laminations into it, while with croissants you're building the laminations into the dough from the get-go. That's why a croissant has a very even layered thing going on, but when you open up a biscuit you expect it to be a little uneven or whatever---you wouldn't expect a biscuit to open up like a sandwich bun or something like that, because a lot of those laminations you've worked it won't extend all the way across the cross-section of the biscuit.

Jmcrofts posted:

Serious question what's wrong with bouillon cubes? I use them a lot when I don't have good stock on hand.
There's nothing morally objectionable about bouillon cubes or anything like that, but they're really not a very good substitute for a good stock and they don't produce a similar result for most purposes.

Specifically, they tend to be comparatively bland and have a flatter flavour profile than a decent stock, they tend to be way too salty to cover for that, and they don't have the gelatine that gives a good stock its velvety mouthfeel. In general I wouldn't feel too bad about using bouillon in places where there are more assertive flavours in there and other fats/oils (like maybe if you're doing some kind of stir-fry and the recipe calls for chicken stock and you don't have any). I wouldn't feel so good about using it as a base for soup or gravy or something like that, though.

SubG fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 16, 2012

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Mainly due to how the serving platter I am using is made, what would be something appropriate to add as a dipping sauce of some sort for Ensalada Caprese?

Really it's straight up hors d'oeuvre, but the serving platter I am using has this handy sauce/dip container, and I want to put SOMETHING in there, even if it's just leftover basil leaves

Pesto maybe?

e: maybe the Basalmic/olive oil mix there instead of sprinkling them over the individual pieces..

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 16, 2012

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

So what's a simple home-made vinaigrette that would be kind of like Italian dressing?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

therattle posted:

Peter Reinhart's cornbread recipe has both sugar and honey which makes it kind of fussy but it's really delicious. I prefer omitting the bacon.

http://leitesculinaria.com/7175/recipes-cornbread.html

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Pester posted:

So what's a simple home-made vinaigrette that would be kind of like Italian dressing?
The base is about 3 parts canola to 1 part wine vinegar. To this mince together equal portions of garlic and onion or shallot. To this add somewhat less oregano, thyme, basil, and/or oregano. Finish with black pepper and salt to taste.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Charmmi posted:

Pleas Halp.

Watch every scrap of footage of Jacques Pepin, he's a marvel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNDjmEaepyk

Then watch every video of Jacques and Julia cooking together: :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7mtEoMFJ60
It's just so dang cute seeing them cook together.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

CuddleChunks posted:

Watch every scrap of footage of Jacques Pepin, he's a marvel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNDjmEaepyk

Then watch every video of Jacques and Julia cooking together: :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7mtEoMFJ60
It's just so dang cute seeing them cook together.

I didn't switch tabs until about 20 seconds into that second video. Let me just say it was interesting...

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Myopic posted:

Out of curiousity, why both soda and powder? Is that common? I'm no baker.
It's there to balance out some of the acid from the buttermilk and generate more lift from the resulting gas.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Would it be possible to just substitute whole milk for buttermilk?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

tarepanda posted:

Would it be possible to just substitute whole milk for buttermilk?
Not in a recipe with baking soda. Baking soda acts as a leavening agent by outgassing carbon dioxide when combined with an acid. Buttermilk is slightly acidic, so you combine the two and you get leavening.

Baking powder is basically baking soda with something added that's mildly acidic when mixed with water (usually cream of tartar) so you can get away with milk or pretty much any other liquid.

So in a recipe that only uses baking powder you can sub milk for buttermilk if you don't care about the flavour difference, but not if you're using baking soda.

zagron
May 10, 2012
I'm looking at the following recipe for a Laksa (without the quail eggs):

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/26945/chicken+laksa

The first step mentions seasoning the chicken before frying it. I'm confused on what this exactly entails. From my understanding Thai seasoning is lime juice and fish sauce, are they saying to marinade it in a mixture of the two before frying it?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SubG posted:

Not in a recipe with baking soda. Baking soda acts as a leavening agent by outgassing carbon dioxide when combined with an acid. Buttermilk is slightly acidic, so you combine the two and you get leavening.

Baking powder is basically baking soda with something added that's mildly acidic when mixed with water (usually cream of tartar) so you can get away with milk or pretty much any other liquid.

So in a recipe that only uses baking powder you can sub milk for buttermilk if you don't care about the flavour difference, but not if you're using baking soda.

I've heard milk+vinegar or lemon juice is a reasonable substitution for buttermilk in a pinch. Does it work well?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Grabbing the carton of heavy cream instead of the buttermilk when you're in a hurry results in a really disappointing soda-raised bread, by the way. :smith: That was a sad day.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

I've heard milk+vinegar or lemon juice is a reasonable substitution for buttermilk in a pinch. Does it work well?
Yeah. You can use pretty much any kind of milk but the higher the fat content the more closely it will resemble cultured buttermilk. Whole milk is ideal, but pretty much anything will work for biscuit making.

You can also buy buttermilk starter and ferment your own buttermilk from store-bought milk if you're feeling ambitious.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jmcrofts posted:

Yes, but there's no need 99% of the time - it isn't going to taste like buttermilk, which is most of the point.

Just sub out for your regular milk, drop the soda, and maybe add (or not) a bit extra baking powder. Between the powder and the bits of butter, you'll still get lift.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

I'm doing this. Maybe a pasta as a side dish and a salad. BAM! First at home dinner date, son!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Oh yeah, I like spicy cornbread too. Just saying sugar is a southern thing, not a new england thing.

You've got that backwards, love.

http://www.examiner.com/article/northern-cornbread-versus-southern-cornbread-with-add-ideas

In the South, one would make corn bread from ... cornmeal. They didn't have access to wheat flour as much as they did in the North. Even after the railroads opened up the vast wheat fields of the Midwest, and sent the wheat flour back East, it didn't really trickle down South until a while later. New Englanders didn't like the dense corn pone eaten in the South. So they added eggs, flour, and sugar to the thing, making a cake, instead of a staple food. The South still preferred a savoury cornbread.

I wouldn't ordinarily know about this thing, but I had JUST gotten done listening to an America's Test Kitchen podcast where Chris Kimball explained this very thing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm calling bullshit because I've had lots of sweet southern cornbread and holy gently caress everything they make in the south is sweet. I have no opinion on the cornmeal/cornmeal and flour debate.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm calling bullshit because I've had lots of sweet southern cornbread and holy gently caress everything they make in the south is sweet. I have no opinion on the cornmeal/cornmeal and flour debate.

I agree with FGR. I always think southern cornbread is more like cornbread cake than cornbread. I like mine cooked in bacon drippings with some jalapenos and maybe just a couple tablespoons of sugar in the batter. Cuz then I can drench it in maple syrup and butter after if I want. :getin:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

dino. posted:

You've got that backwards, love.

http://www.examiner.com/article/northern-cornbread-versus-southern-cornbread-with-add-ideas

In the South, one would make corn bread from ... cornmeal. They didn't have access to wheat flour as much as they did in the North. Even after the railroads opened up the vast wheat fields of the Midwest, and sent the wheat flour back East, it didn't really trickle down South until a while later. New Englanders didn't like the dense corn pone eaten in the South. So they added eggs, flour, and sugar to the thing, making a cake, instead of a staple food. The South still preferred a savoury cornbread.

I wouldn't ordinarily know about this thing, but I had JUST gotten done listening to an America's Test Kitchen podcast where Chris Kimball explained this very thing.

Who the gently caress buys self-rising cornmeal?! I have never in my life even heard of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So as an example, you'd call the Boston Market cornbread "southern" because it's sweet as hell, right?