Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

ZackHoagie posted:

If it weren't for lovely cameras, I'd have no cameras at all :)
Turn on macro (the tulip symbol) for close ups. Your camera might be lovely, but I don't think there's many digital cameras that don't have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Got my favorite game of all time in the mail today (And a bonus disc containing two versions of a game in my top ten):

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

HKR posted:

Got my favorite game of all time in the mail today (And a bonus disc containing two versions of a game in my top ten):

Awesome. I can't believe that game is almost 10 years old -- it's aged really well, and the visuals and sense of scale are still absolutely breathtaking.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
finished Ys book 1&2 on the psp today. A little archaic, but still a fun couple of games, even if the first game's boss battles are incredibly frustrating.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

the wizards beard posted:

I may have asked this before, but do people collect demo disks? I have a few stacks of Playstation demos here, most from the UK Official magazine and a few from a short-lived Irish Official magazine. I don't want these, I'm curious if it's worth trying to sell them/trade them. I probably have the magazines in storage somewhere as well.

Most people do not, what you should do is try to find a fan community of a specific game that's demoed and ask there if anyone's interested. I do have a few interesting demo disks that I've held on to because they have janky/unused elements of games I ended up liking a lot. One really cool one I have is a preview disk that was shipped to retailers for Resident Evil 4. It came in its own GC case and included trailers/some info about the previous games. The demo itself plays up to whenever you kill the first Dr. Salvador or get the church bell to ring by killing twenty (?) Ganados and ends with Leon's "Where's everyone going...Bingo?" as they shamble off into the chapel.

What makes it fun is the Engrish intro, there's no out of game cutscenes, just a quick text scrawl that says "YOUR MISSION IS TO LOCATE THE PRESIDENT'S DAUGHTER GET HER OUT SAFE." Also in this one the knife is a separate item that takes up an inventory square and you have to equip in the menu every time like in the old games. You also have a pair of binoculars you can zoom in with at any time (in the final game you only use these at two scripted points to see the fate of the two cops that drive you to the village in the intro).

Another I have that is kind of cool is a Konami one that has a few games of the time like Neo Contra and their PS2/GC/XBox Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game on it. Most importantly though it has a demo of Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim where the enemies still explode into bloody gibs when killed.

The last rad one I have is for the PS2/XBox Punisher game where the interrogation fatalities are in full color instead of in black and white to keep the game from being rated AO.

Most of the game industry has this stuff down to such a science now that the demos rarely have elements that aren't in the final game. I have a view other Gamecube demo disks I should play through again. Worst thing about them is they ALL have awesome trailers for that Kirby game that vanished. The disks themselves came in actual Gamecube cases with a volume # and everything.

Not as interesting, but I have a couple of DS Download Station game cards. These were put into GameStop/Wal-Mart/Target locations. Basically it would be put into a DS and create a download point where people could download demos and trailers. The DS its put into gives various statistics about what demos are downloaded when.

It's kind of a cool glimpse into Nintendo's earliest attempts at getting people to buy stuff via wireless connection. I don't know the value of them, but I can say the latter volumes would probably be harder to find as Nintendo gradually became more and more strict about their distribution (espcially once they started using game cards to distribute limited Pokemon characters also). Again I should dig them up and see if the included demos have anything interesting in them.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

Woah! I never saw it in the same case like that before. That's pretty great.

Reminds me I gotta play that on Dolphin. Can you imagine Wind Waker in 1080p? :allears:

PopeCrunch is a humanitarian and sold me some SNES games, so take Breath of Fire 1 and or 2 off my secret Santa list <3

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's from a platinum Gamecube bundle that I believe was only sold at Wal-Mart.

Breath of Fire series owns. I love all five of them. The first one IS pretty bare bones but it has the fun characters. I kind of like the GBA version of Breath of Fire 2 more just because the translation is a bit better. The SNES one has some funny Engrish but is mostly just mediocre.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
A trip down memory lane, to the very first Wind Waker trailer:
http://youtu.be/aQ7riCXrDxY

That footage is from 2001. 2001, for god's sake! What a gorgeous game.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

the wizards beard posted:

I may have asked this before, but do people collect demo disks? I have a few stacks of Playstation demos here, most from the UK Official magazine and a few from a short-lived Irish Official magazine. I don't want these, I'm curious if it's worth trying to sell them/trade them. I probably have the magazines in storage somewhere as well.

I've got a tiny but slowly growing collection of demo disks. They're cool because they often include things you won't see in the full version. I don't think they sell for much, but there are definitely folks interested in them.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Good news from Brad Smith, more moon8 NES carts incoming:

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Whoever mentioned Chrontendo in the last thread, I want to punch you in the dick because my productivity has gone to nothing in the last four days.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Technowrite posted:

Whoever mentioned Chrontendo in the last thread, I want to punch you in the dick because my productivity has gone to nothing in the last four days.

Chrontendo really is a great resource even if the presentation isn't that good. It does suffer a bit from not always understanding the concepts behind the games he's playing but that's par for the course when it comes to 8-bit titles.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HKR posted:

Good news from Brad Smith, more moon8 NES carts incoming:

He mentioned that he's going to limit customers. Hopefully he sticks to this.

zari-gani posted:

I've got a tiny but slowly growing collection of demo disks. They're cool because they often include things you won't see in the full version. I don't think they sell for much, but there are definitely folks interested in them.

Demo discs serve as a great timestamp in a game's development process. Some of the more notable ones I've seen is Ico, which had at least two demos that were mashups of various areas in the main game out of order. Viewtiful Joe had a bug that could wipe your memory card. Europe's Keio Flying Squadron was the FULL GAME and you could continue past the 1st level with the level skip code. The Pizza Hut demo of Soul Reaver contained a really, really early beta look at the game that was absolutely atrocious visually.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 16, 2012

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I do have two demo discs actually. One is Everquest Online Adventures and the other is Sphinx And the Shadow of Set, both for the PlayStation 2. Everquest doesn't work anymore and the Sphinx game had its name changed before release.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

HKR posted:

It got there safe, hooray! :toot:

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Alright, trying to remember what game this is has been bugging for the last few years!

Ok, I don't remember what system it was on but I have a few faint memories of it such as the setting being very futuristic grim-dark and pretty much everything is dead or technically undead.

It's sorta' a top down perspective shooter.

You have three characters to choose from, one being female the other two male.

The one thing I remember the most is that when you're "killed" you become just a pair of bloody legs that run around for a few seconds....

Does anyone have any idea what this game is or have I gone crazy!?

EDIT: The game is Skeleton Krew!

Lepecard fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 18, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HKR posted:

I've had that since it came out. :smuggo:

Whoever was bringing up Amano's artwork from a few pages back, go take a look at The Last Story on the Wii - He did the design work for it, and it's all wonderful.

Oh also; Anyone got any good JRPG's to recommend on the PS2? I've played all of mine to death and I could use something new. I've got all the SMT games, both Final Fantasies (X & XII, not interested in X-2), both Kingdom Hearts, Odin Sphere (I'd get GrimGrimoire, but I'm not that much of an SRPG fan), Rogue Galaxy, and Star Ocean til the Next Sidequest End of Time. Are there any particularly good Tales games on the PS2 or anything lesser-known I might've missed?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh also; Anyone got any good JRPG's to recommend on the PS2? I've played all of mine to death and I could use something new. I've got all the SMT games, both Final Fantasies (X & XII, not interested in X-2), both Kingdom Hearts, Odin Sphere (I'd get GrimGrimoire, but I'm not that much of an SRPG fan), Rogue Galaxy, and Star Ocean til the Next Sidequest End of Time. Are there any particularly good Tales games on the PS2 or anything lesser-known I might've missed?

What about the .hack series or Radiata Stories?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've had that since it came out. :smuggo:

Whoever was bringing up Amano's artwork from a few pages back, go take a look at The Last Story on the Wii - He did the design work for it, and it's all wonderful.

You'll probably enjoy the Shadow Hearts series. See if you can find Koudelka on the PS1.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Amano wasn't involved in Last Story actually. The art designs are by Kimihiko Fujisaka, best known for Drakengard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zari-gani posted:

Amano wasn't involved in Last Story actually. The art designs are by Kimihiko Fujisaka, best known for Drakengard.

Oh it is to (just looked at my premium-edition artbook). I could've sworn it was Amano behind it. :psyduck:

edit: VVVVVVVVV

Very much so, yes. The writing is great, the gameplay's pretty fun, and the characters are all awesome in their own way. It's fairly linear, but there's tons of sidequests and it's all based out of a central hub town, so you can't really irredeemably miss anything.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 16, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Was Last Story any good for people like myself only really into the SNES Squaresoft releases?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Was Last Story any good for people like myself only really into the SNES Squaresoft releases?

Hell yea. It very much has that snes era vibe. The story doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it's told well and the characters are actually likable. It's all over in 25 hours, so it's not a crazy huge time investment either.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Zen and Archon, did you guys get my gifts?

Hamburglar, do I need to do anything for supplies or cash to get the ball rolling on the snes stuff? I'm not in a hurry, I just wanted to make sure you aren't waiting on me for anything.

Also, this is time sensitive....
I'm selling a bunch of my rarest nintendo games on ebay. The really expensive stuff doesn't seem to do well on SAmart, so I'm going to do a round of cheaper stuff in SAmart after this stuff is sold and shipped.
Here's the link for my auctions...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/cosmicjosh/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I'm trying to fit all of my collection into or on my 2 nintendo display cases, so a bunch of stuff I don't touch has got to go. Going to use the money for a new roof.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 16, 2012

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

^^drat, I wish I could justify some of those. Snow Bros was my favorite NES game to rent as a kid.

Vrikkian posted:

The Legend of Oasis
Advanced D&D: Eye of the Beholder (disk)
Sonic CD (disk)
I'd love these if we can find a good price! Want me to hit you up via PM?

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 16, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Oh good God no. If people start selling things in here I'll never have money again and I'm already broke as poo poo right now. And you guys are guaranteed to have the stuff I want! :argh:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jesus Christ, is Little Samson really that expensive? I bought it for $5 at a pawn shop back in the day. It was the first game purchased with money I worked for.

I played it before I played any Mega Man game. When I finally got my hands on MM I thought it was trash by comparison.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Part of it is inflation. There was someone at...Portland Retro Gaming Expo? An expo about two months ago I believe, don't remember which one...who was buying every copy he could and selling them at inflated prices. He had something like 25 or 30 copies at that point.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

cosmicjim posted:

Zen and Archon, did you guys get my gifts?

Hamburglar, do I need to do anything for supplies or cash to get the ball rolling on the snes stuff? I'm not in a hurry, I just wanted to make sure you aren't waiting on me for anything.

Also, this is time sensitive....
I'm selling a bunch of my rarest nintendo games on ebay. The really expensive stuff doesn't seem to do well on SAmart, so I'm going to do a round of cheaper stuff in SAmart after this stuff is sold and shipped.
Here's the link for my auctions...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/cosmicjosh/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I'm trying to fit all of my collection into or on my 2 nintendo display cases, so a bunch of stuff I don't touch has got to go. Going to use the money for a new roof.

Archon got banned and probated for like a month.

For talking about his anime collection.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

:stare: Story, please (especially since GBA games ended up getting Square releases on it). [On why Square got shown the door by NCL in late 90s ~ early 2000s.]

The relationship was great for a long time.

And then came the press conference I'd mentioned earlier.

NCL’s relations with Square soured during the development of Super Mario RPG while under President Tetsuo Mizuno. This was over Nintendo’s steadfast refusal to consider anything but ROM carts for N64.
Either President Tetsuo Mizuno (91 ~ 96) or Tomoyuki Takechi (96 ~ 2000) made the decision to go with Playstation citing limited data capacity. As a result, Square released what SFC projects were salvageable on Satellaview, and purportedly around ten N64 projects were ditched.
According to Hisashi Suzuki (president between 2000 and 2001), NCL Yamauchi was understanding, “It was a matter of making a hardware choice. It can’t be helped.” However, someone on the Square side also went over to Enix and pulled them into the PS side while dropping claims about N64 being a failure. Somehow, word of that leaked out, and NCL slammed the door on dealing with Square.

Enix announced Dragon Quest 7 for PS in Jan. 97, but they maintained relations with NCL and kept making games for them.

Square’d also sold shares to Sony by then, which made them even less endearing to NCL. Around this time, Square was also aggressively acquiring developers and attempted to launch a bunch of new IPs such as Brave Fencer Musashi, Bushido Blade, Tobal, Racing Lagoon, etc., etc., none of which really struck gold.
They’d also sunk money into Digicube, their own distribution channel which attempted to circumvent traditional sales channels (often dominated by Nintendo’s Shoshinkai) by going primarily through convenience stores. However, their strict adherence to MSRP and accepting full returns on unsold merchandise (which still isn’t common practice in Japan—it’s entirely different from the NA market) made them less attractive and competitive. NCL and Konami, among others, also refused to deal with Digicube.
All this and huge expenditures on workstations for development staff (rumored to be around $200,000 a pop), the Hawaii office, and the massive money-loser movie sucked Square’s fortunes down the drain. So, it was only natural that they look to Nintendo’s thriving handheld business as a quick and cheap way to cash in with remakes, etc. So, they went to NCL to try and appease Yamauchi, who refused to see them. At a shareholder meeting, shareholders demanded, “Reconcile with Nintendo even if it takes groveling.” To which a Digicube executive replied, “If groveling is all that it took, I’d gladly do as much as it takes.”
It wasn’t until after the Suzuki resigned as president in 2001 and Wada took over that NCL deigned to deal with Square again, and it took to after the merger (April 2003) before the first SqEnix GBA title appeared (Final Fantasy Adventure remake) in August 2003. (Although some Harry Potter GBA games were released under the EA-Square label in 2002, after the banishment of Suzuki and his predecessors.)

Bonus 64-bit system badges.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ineffiable posted:

Archon got banned and probated for like a month.

For talking about his anime collection.

Actually it was because he was being an rear end in the WiiU thread.

And if we're sharing random things we own, this should be of interest to the PAL Dreamcast owners - I have two of the rare storage towers. Got them in a lucky eBay find.

(God drat, my phone makes big pictures)
The two in the right tower are Tech Romancer and Tony Hawk: Pro Skater 2. The case above them, and the loose sleeve, are a pair of manual-and-disk-only copies that I got from a pair of eBay purchases. The guy tossed them in, despite me saying "no thanks, I already own them".

The N64 storage tower's also well worth getting if you own a lot of loose carts (It's double-sided, and not that hard to get carts out of the back side).

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 16, 2012

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Anybody have a spare $45k?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-Tengen-Tetris-Prototype-Licensed-by-Nintendo-ONE-OF-A-KIND-/251158721996

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

So all I have to do to make 45k is grab a programmable NES board, toss a rom on there and stick it in a duck hunt cart and write in sharpie RARE GAME PROTOTYPE?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Part of it is inflation. There was someone at...Portland Retro Gaming Expo? An expo about two months ago I believe, don't remember which one...who was buying every copy he could and selling them at inflated prices. He had something like 25 or 30 copies at that point.

Man, I don't know how I feel about resellers. Buying low, selling high is a legitimate business practice but a part of me wishes we had a list or something of "do not sell to this person." I'd prefer people who will actually appreciate collectibles to be able to afford collectibles.

HKR posted:

So all I have to do to make 45k is grab a programmable NES board, toss a rom on there and stick it in a duck hunt cart and write in sharpie RARE GAME PROTOTYPE?

He should have sent it to the VGA for an official grade. It would have doubled the value to be in a plastic case with a fake number on it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

HKR posted:

Yeah. This auction smells like bullshit.

Anyway, I decided to compete with Genesis tower:

So far it is:
- Super Famicom
- Game Doctor III
- Region adapter
- Super 3D Noah's Ark
- Region Adapter
- Street Fighter II

If anyone wants to donate a unique item to this project, go for it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

OSI bean dip posted:

So far it is:
- Super Famicom
- Game Doctor III
- Region adapter
- Super 3D Noah's Ark
- Region Adapter
- Street Fighter II

dude. Super Game Boy + GB Gameshark.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

DoctorWhat posted:

dude. Super Game Boy + GB Gameshark.

poo poo. I have a Super Game Boy too, but no Game Shark. Actually, I think the Game Genie is larger too.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Super Game Boy 2 with Game Boy Camera and Printer attached.*

*assuming printer connects to the link cable port, as I never owned one and am at work and can't research it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

OSI bean dip posted:

So far it is:
- Super Famicom
- Game Doctor III
- Region adapter
- Super 3D Noah's Ark
- Region Adapter
- Street Fighter II

If you have a couple hundred dollars to spare, get a Double Pro Fighter X. It's a SNES/Genesis game ripper that looks like the Game Doctor III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Oh hey I have a game boy printer if anyone wants it

• Locked thread