Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kunzelman posted:

This makes me not want to buy this book. Your endorsement is literally worse than me just stumbling on it out of the blue.

I don't mean to sound condescending, it's just a really good well put together book that's cheaper than a weekly rag and it hasn't been brought up at all. Here, I'll edit my post but definitely give the previews on Fantagraphics a read through.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

al-azad posted:

Mind MGMT closed the first story arc today and I couldn't be excited to get more. It's definitely near the top of my favorite new comics this year.

I also picked up Brandom Grahams Multiple Warheads and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. 48 pages of an organ hunter lopping off heads and a guy with a wolf dick driving across punny countryside with his girlfriend Sexica. Graham has a fantastic visual style but his absurd lettering pulls me out of the story. I have the same feeling reading King City and it's the biggest hurdle keeping me from finishing it. If I can manage to actually read what people are saying I can't tell if they're saying words or making noises. Like, is "sputz" a curse word? If it is, why do they still use conventional curse words? Why is "SHINX!! in a word balloon when it's the sound of swords being drawn? Or is it, I don't know?!

James Stokoe uses a similar outlandish lettering style but I've never had trouble distinguishing his speech from other noises. Stokoe also wisely uses a universal vocabulary for his onomotopoeia. When you read "KSH KSH KSH" you know poo poo's going down.

I suppose an analogue that occurred to me reading it was R rated Miyazaki. A complex and sometimes near incomprehensively inhabited world, a frightening level of creativity, and great dollops of heart right in the middle. If you can't tell I loved Multiple Warheads. You've got to be willing to roll with the punches but poo poo its rewarding. With this and Prophet Brandon Graham might be single handedly revitalizing my love of comics.

Also Prophet was great last issue. Read it already.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shageletic posted:

I suppose an analogue that occurred to me reading it was R rated Miyazaki. A complex and sometimes near incomprehensively inhabited world, a frightening level of creativity, and great dollops of heart right in the middle. If you can't tell I loved Multiple Warheads. You've got to be willing to roll with the punches but poo poo its rewarding. With this and Prophet Brandon Graham might be single handedly revitalizing my love of comics.

Also Prophet was great last issue. Read it already.

I definitely agree with this. In 48 pages he created a unique, alien world that's instantly believable with practically zero time spent world building. King City and even Prophet are comics that require no excess exposition. No character or disembodied voice sits the reader by the "campfire" to draw attention away from what's really important.

But the guy's greatest weakness is how rough everything is. If the lettering was tighter and things just a tad more focused I could really get behind him. Oddly, I think Prophet is his most readable work but it's not as visually interesting as MW or KC in my opinion.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Multiple Warheads is the comic I'm going to point to as a giant "gently caress you" to the Big 2 way of doing things, if only because it's 48 loving pages for $4. There's so much more going on there, but that alone, holy poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bairfanx posted:

Multiple Warheads is the comic I'm going to point to as a giant "gently caress you" to the Big 2 way of doing things, if only because it's 48 loving pages for $4. There's so much more going on there, but that alone, holy poo poo.

I actually like that he said he's only gonna do like 4 or 5 issues a year just so he can make sure he does them really well.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...
^^^BG's artbook will be coming out from Picturebox soon. I can't wait...

al-azad posted:

I just made the greatest comics purchase of the year right here. Does anyone here like artsy anthologies like Blab! or Kramers Ergot? Then check out Kolor Klimax. It's a 250 page anthology of comics from Northern European artists in a dizzying variety of artistic styles. The best part? Amazon has it listed brand new for $2.88 USD.
Oh my... :monocle: Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I've been pretty curious about quite a few of them Nordic artists ever since I picked up the Smoke Signal/KutiKuti crossover.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is this where we talk about Half Century War? Becuase man is this comic loving awesome and beautiful to look at. #3 is finally out (digitally, anyways) and I'm loving every single page of it. And the cover/preview for #4 is all :circlefap:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I got Freelancers #1 today because it was a dollar and it had Felipe Smith's name on it. And, well, it's kinda bad. It's basically exactly like Dirty Pair or Gunsmith Cats but with none of the charm that makes those fun to read. And Smith didn't even write any of it and only did a few pages of nice art in a backup.

I feel kind of bad telling people not to buy something that's only a dollar but it's really probably safe to give this one a pass, even at that price. You might want to just flip to the backup and look at the little girls beating up hobos though since that's pretty funny.

What you SHOULD get today though is 47 Ronin because it's any decent comic fan's duty to support Stan Sakai in all that he does.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.
Just wanted to make sure you all are reading Manhattan Projects since with each issue it just gets crazier and crazier. I read an interview with Hickman saying he specifically didn't plan much in the series and it definitely shows the fun carefree attitude that implies. I don't even really care if the story is going to a specific conclusion, the rides been so fun it's been worth it alone.

Also sad to read from that note Hickman put in the issue that Secret wont have a regular schedule for the foreseeable future. At least there'll be another Hickman/Dragotta book out in a few months.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

al-azad posted:

I don't mean to sound condescending, it's just a really good well put together book that's cheaper than a weekly rag and it hasn't been brought up at all. Here, I'll edit my post but definitely give the previews on Fantagraphics a read through.

I bought it on your rec, and got it last night, and drat but that's a lot of comics for three dollars. (Haven't read a single one though)

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

gogisha posted:

Just wanted to make sure you all are reading Manhattan Projects since with each issue it just gets crazier and crazier. I read an interview with Hickman saying he specifically didn't plan much in the series and it definitely shows the fun carefree attitude that implies. I don't even really care if the story is going to a specific conclusion, the rides been so fun it's been worth it alone.

My favorite part of the note in this issue is where he says "things get completely nuts starting next issue".

Things got nuts about seven issues ago. :lsd:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I finally managed to pick up the newest issue of Glory and I still kinda like it. It's not really anything groundbreaking in the story it's telling but Ross Campbell's art is fun to look at.

Glory's sister kind of cracks me up though because she really feels like someone's Glory fan-character you'd see on deviantart or tumblr. "She's just like Glory except she's super pretty and has cool hair and a tail but she's totally a bad-rear end and has tons of sex and she told her mom to gently caress OFF when she said she was too young to do cool stuff."

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I think Glory's sister is basically supposed to be "what if a '90s character was created today." I mean, Ross Campbell said he came up with her codename Bloodshadow because it sounded like one of those ridiculous names from '90s Liefeld books.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
For more Warheads love, Image announced that the first issue is getting a second printing.

Incredibly pleased they took a quote from my review at Comics Bulletin too. I really think Warheads is one of the best, most fun books on the stands and is easily a great deal for your money.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I guess this is the right place to ask? I dunno, if it's not point me at the correct thread and I'll ask there.

I loving love Tintin. I want to read me some more like that. I've already read Freddy Lombard. What else should I read?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

bgaesop posted:

I guess this is the right place to ask? I dunno, if it's not point me at the correct thread and I'll ask there.

I loving love Tintin. I want to read me some more like that. I've already read Freddy Lombard. What else should I read?

Everything here.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I bought a nice, big, hardcover copy of The Incal, having heard so much about Moebius and seen so many of his gorgeous panels online...

...and it was the most boring, trite, unrealistic, worthless, crap scifi I've read outside of a Geoff Johns book. Maybe something enormous was lost in the translation, maybe I was too eagerly looking forward to some hard scifi, but I just absolutely hated it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The idea of someone complaining about the Incal being "unrealistic" is so bizarre I can't wrap my head around it.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

bgaesop posted:

I bought a nice, big, hardcover copy of The Incal, having heard so much about Moebius and seen so many of his gorgeous panels online...

...and it was the most boring, trite, unrealistic, worthless, crap scifi I've read outside of a Geoff Johns book. Maybe something enormous was lost in the translation, maybe I was too eagerly looking forward to some hard scifi, but I just absolutely hated it.

Klaxons whirr at the desire for "hard sci fi" being fulfilled by a Moebius comic.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

A new issue of Saga came out today and it turns out it's still pretty great. If anything I'd say that Fiona Staples has managed to get better with the break.

Also the issue features easily the most :wtc: / :barf: image of the series.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I asked my local comic shop guy for advice on hard SciFi comics and he suggested The Incal. I flipped through it, thought "oh! This is by Moebius. I love that guy's art and have been meaning to read his stuff for a while. And it's hard SciFi you say? I am sold!"

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The idea of someone complaining about the Incal being "unrealistic" is so bizarre I can't wrap my head around it.

Eh?

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Why do you keep saying that it is hard sci fi? Who told you that?

Is that supposed to be true?

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
No, it's not, that's my point. The guy working at my local comic shop told me that, and he was apparently crazy bonkers. So I went into the story expecting realism and got a sentient emotion-powered god pyramid.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

bgaesop posted:

No, it's not, that's my point. The guy working at my local comic shop told me that, and he was apparently crazy bonkers. So I went into the story expecting realism and got a sentient emotion-powered god pyramid.

Yeah, I think most of us are more surprised that you believed him, especially considering all the weird poo poo Jodorowsky has done. Live and learn, I guess? If nothing else, the art is amazing.

Though, if you don't want it, I would more than happily take it off of your hands...

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It was literally the first of his stories I'd read. And sorry, I gave it away when I moved

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean I still don't see how you could look at even a single page of the Incal and not immediately realize that it's as far from "realistic hard sci-fi" as sci-fi gets (like, even the cover of the book shows a guy with a pet pterodactyl), but I guess if you don't like it I'd recommend also avoiding anything else by Jodorowski and like 95% of Moebius too.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

bgaesop posted:

It was literally the first of his stories I'd read. And sorry, I gave it away when I moved

I really shouldn't assume other people have friends who tell them that El Topo is something that you need to see. That's all I needed to know to be convinced that anything Jodorowsky does is just completely batshit.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's El Topo?

I mean I still don't see how you could look at even a single page of the Incal and not immediately realize that it's as far from "realistic hard sci-fi" as sci-fi gets (like, even the cover of the book shows a guy with a pet pterodactyl), but I guess if you don't like it I'd recommend also avoiding anything else by Jodorowski and like 95% of Moebius too.

I opened it to one of the early pages with the dude falling down the giant city and thought "ooh! kind of reminds me of Judge Dredd. I can dig it. And I do love future noir"

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Do you consider Judge Dredd to be realistic hard sci-fi?

This is what Jodorowsky was doing before making comics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_k8oaeHsnc

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bgaesop posted:

I opened it to one of the early pages with the dude falling down the giant city and thought "ooh! kind of reminds me of Judge Dredd. I can dig it. And I do love future noir"

Interesting. And how far after that did it lose you?

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Judge Dredd seems moderately realistic. Of course, there's a hundred million issues of 2000 AD so there's a pretty wide variety of Dredd stories. Most of the ones I've read don't have much in the way of impossible tech-certainly not on the level of "all powerful emotions pyramid." Occasionally a bit of psy stuff, but that's all I can remember that seemed blatantly impossible.

Actually, there's a question. What good hard scifi comics are there?

Interesting. And how far after that did it lose you?

Hard to say. I only read it once, about a year ago, so I don't have the plot memorized, but the translation I read was kind of stilted and awkward, and the characters were unrelatable and didn't get much development. The only one I actually liked was the pterodactyl. The plot didn't interest me and the world wasn't very developed, and what was there seemed kind of boring. The art pretty much carried it for me.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This thread just cost me like $200.

Tangentially, does anyone know why Matz and Jacamon's The Killer Vol. 2 is the only one sold out everywhere? Should I just get the (softcover) Omnibus or will it likely get reprinted in hardcover?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Conan this week was not only the best one yet, but also Camus-like in its existentially-oriented narrative. It's one of the most amazing comic books I've ever read. Brian Wood's prose is so dynamic and has such a great sense of pace. Declan Shalvey's art is just beautiful.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

There is not a :psyduck: big enough to describe this week's Invincible.

What the hell did I just read?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gavok posted:

There is not a :psyduck: big enough to describe this week's Invincible.

What the hell did I just read?

Can you spoiler this for someone who hasn't given a poo poo about Invincible in a long time?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Recently they started a status quo where Mark lost his powers and Bulletproof (Zandale Randolph), a member of the Global Guardians became his replacement due to having a similar power set... and being black. So in #97, there's two :wtf: segments.

In the last issue, Zandale's parents find out about his secret identity, when they thought it was his smarter twin brother, who they cared more about that fought crime as a superhero. Here, Zandale goes over his backstory and explains how his twin was actually kind of insane and forced these powers onto Zandale and the process killed him. Since then, Bulletproof's been pretending to be both brothers because he didn't want to hurt his parents.

Their reaction is to freak the gently caress out, insist that he murdered his brother out of jealousy and that they're going to tell the police. Out of nowhere, Zandale's girlfriend shouts, "SHUT UP YOU BITCH!" and nails the mom with a frying pan. And not in the cartoony way, but by slamming the edge into her skull so that her eyeball pops out. The dad throttles her, screaming that he'll kill her and Bulletproof accidentally and gorily snaps his father's neck trying to pull him off. Bulletproof shoves the bodies into a car, throws it off a cliff, we see the funeral and then a panel of he and his girlfriend sitting silently and awkwardly in the kitchen.

Followed directly by a page of Kirkman's self-insert creator of Science Dog guy, who defends his decision to do a scene in Science Dog that was "heavy handed", "jarring", "overly dark" and "out of place" because it's almost time for issue #100, he needed to do something shocking and he'd never be able to do such a thing in a corporate-owned series.

Then later on, we have a scene of Mark and Eve having sex. It's been played up that Mark looks down on himself in the bedroom because of his lack of powers, but Eve starts to really get into it. Then the last page is a full page image of the two of them naked, floating and in mid-thrust where Mark is excited to announce that his powers are back.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Glad I jumped the gently caress off of that series some time ago

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What a fun, accessible series.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

Bulletproof shoves the bodies into a car, throws it off a cliff, we see the funeral and then a panel of he and his girlfriend sitting silently and awkwardly in the kitchen.

BTW the entirety of this happens in a single page.

Kirkman... I don't know about Kirkman. He thinks cartoon gore and killing off people on a whim is compelling storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

al-azad posted:

Kirkman... I don't know about Kirkman. He thinks cartoon gore and killing off people on a whim is compelling storytelling.

And he showed he doesn't have to rely on that in the issue right before this! I mean, the previous arc was really good and the dark final scene wasn't jarring, overly-dark, out of place, etc. It felt like a natural character move that would lead to some intriguing drama down the line.