Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ClassH posted:

When I had a Drobo at work I just plugged it into a computer and setup shares from windows (like a file server). It worked decent enough and was a easy way to tie in active directory.

This one is a NAS appliance with no capability to hook into AD or LDAP at all (they even say so on their website!).

The other building is, for all intents and purposes, accessible via internet, not a network I control.

And LOL, storage and management subnet? It's on the "poo poo from other departments in our building" subnet. But I can use the second interface to put it on another network local to that building that I have access to and can get a server on to use the console. So will be well I guess.

Now I just have to implement the Ghost + rsync backup scheme that was designed by idiots ignoring all sane advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FISHMANPET posted:

And LOL, storage and management subnet? It's on the "poo poo from other departments in our building" subnet. But I can use the second interface to put it on another network local to that building that I have access to and can get a server on to use the console. So will be well I guess.

Just because I speak of best practices doesn't mean my work network here has them implemented yet.

We can dream can't we?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I read that not all 2tb drive models are exactly the same size. If I assign the full drives to the RAIDZ array and end up having to replace one with a different make/model, there's a chance the replacement drive might not be big enough to rebuild the array onto, even if it's a 2tb drive. Should I assign less than the maximum drive size to the array just in case, or should I not worry about it?

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

I read that not all 2tb drive models are exactly the same size. If I assign the full drives to the RAIDZ array and end up having to replace one with a different make/model, there's a chance the replacement drive might not be big enough to rebuild the array onto, even if it's a 2tb drive. Should I assign less than the maximum drive size to the array just in case, or should I not worry about it?

I would think it depends on the implementation of ZFS. Oracle Solaris since 10 9/10 ("U9") has allowed for slightly different physical drives.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/githb/index.html posted:

In previous releases, ZFS was not able to replace an existing disk with another disk or attach a disk if the replacement disk was a slightly different size. In this release, you can replace an existing disk with another disk or attach a new disk that is nominally the same size provided that the pool is not already full.

10 9/10 was shipped with (I believe) triple-parity Raid-Z, and thus supported ZFS version 17. Does FreeBSD ZFS (version 17 or greater) allow for "nominally" different drives? I'm not sure.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
Has anyone run into a problem where video playback from a Synology DS-112 NAS randomly freezes for anywhere from 1-10 seconds, then resumes? It has been happening for the past week or so. I've tried rebooting the unit, tried stopping sabnzbd, couch potato, sick beard, etc. Nothing really is running on it and will still happen. I've run a ping test on the unit and the laptop playing the video and I am not seeing drop-outs or anything strange when the pause occurs. I've ssh'd into the box and run the top command and not seeing any odd spikes in CPU utilization. The drive is reporting as healthy, and is a Seagate 3 TB drive. Any suggestions on tracking this down would be fantastic.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
It appears FreeBSD 9.1-RC3 can't rebuild onto a smaller drive (tested inside VMWare). Given that, what do other ZFS users do?

Another ZFS question, is df the only way to find out the usable size of a pool? zpool list seems to show the total size including the size of parity drives, and zfs list shows the used and available but not the total. df shows the total, or I can just add up the totals from zfs list, but it seems odd nothing would tell me the usable size of the array?

diehlr posted:

I've ssh'd into the box and run the top command and not seeing any odd spikes in CPU utilization. The drive is reporting as healthy, and is a Seagate 3 TB drive. Any suggestions on tracking this down would be fantastic.

I don't know if synology has "iotop", but if not that try "iostat 1". iostat will print a lot of information, but you're looking for the MB/s or KB/s under the column that looks like it's named after a drive (md0?).

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Evidently, neither command is available.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

diehlr posted:

How about vmstat 1? Look for the io column. Does the count drop to 0 when the movie pauses? Or does it spike higher?

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
I see that Promise SmartStor NASes are listed as commonly used in the OP - does anyone have any thoughts on the NSx700 models? I don't have much experience with RAID, would it be possible to move existing RAID 1 arrays to SmartStor units?

If it matters, the arrays, as they currently stand, are hosted by a Mac server using SoftRAID.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Earl of Lavender posted:

I see that Promise SmartStor NASes are listed as commonly used in the OP - does anyone have any thoughts on the NSx700 models? I don't have much experience with RAID, would it be possible to move existing RAID 1 arrays to SmartStor units?

If it matters, the arrays, as they currently stand, are hosted by a Mac server using SoftRAID.

Haven't used those personally, but actually reading the OP, it's fairly solid but looks like there's still some TODOs left in there. I think OP still checks in on this thread every now and then, thoughts about updating or refreshing this thread?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

movax posted:

Haven't used those personally, but actually reading the OP, it's fairly solid but looks like there's still some TODOs left in there. I think OP still checks in on this thread every now and then, thoughts about updating or refreshing this thread?

The OP doesn't even mention the N40L!

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

How about vmstat 1? Look for the io column. Does the count drop to 0 when the movie pauses? Or does it spike higher?

Okay, I think I figured it out. I noticed when I turned on my Nexus 7, stuttering got markedly worse. My crap 2-wire U-verse router was set to auto-channel.. a double-whammy. For now, I've set it to a fixed channel. I think the devices in the house were causing the router to hop channels. Piece of junk. I'll report back if the playback issue resurfaces. Thanks for the suggestions.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Ughhh that stupid 2-Wire 3600HGV is such a piece of poo poo, I can't stand mine. I almost want to switch from U-Verse to Comcast just so I don't have to use the drat thing anymore.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ilkhan posted:

ok, some mdadm questions.

I have a 5 drive dual parity (raid 6) array with 3 TB drives using the whole disks (no partitions).
2 failed.
I have replacements.

I can force it to start in degraded mode, BUT I'm having issues adding the new drives.

From the GUI disk manager, if I just hit edit components->add spare it complains the volume is too big for dos partition tables (2TB limit).
If I set it to GPT and then do it, it creates/add /dev/sdb1 which it then says isn't aligned properly.

help
its currently thinking about "--add /dev/md0 /dev/sdb" command for the whole disk, see what that does.
New page quote.

So 9+hours later and the prompt is still sitting there blinking, hasn't gone to a new user@machine:~$ prompt yet.
Is something broken?

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

fletcher posted:

The OP doesn't even mention the N40L!

actually going through it right now, glaring omission. My fault, will be corrected shortly.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Has anyone had luck getting > 8 gigs of ram into an N40L? I read some people were able to, so I picked up an 8 gig stick of KVR1333D3E9S RAM but I can't get both the 2 gig that comes with it and the 8 gig to work together. The BIOS shows both sticks of RAM with the correct timings and everything, but POST only counts up to 2 gigs with both installed. Installing one at a time works okay.

I flashed that crazy AHCI enabling BIOS but it didn't make any difference. Any suggestions?

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
memory needs to be installed in either matching pairs or single sticks
the ahci bios just gives you full speed on the other sata port, nothing to do with memory

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ninja Rope posted:

Has anyone had luck getting > 8 gigs of ram into an N40L?

Here are some that are verified known-good:
ECC: Super Talent DDR3-1333 8GB/512Mx8 ECC Samsung Chip Server Memory - W1333EB8GS
Non-ECC: Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 CMX8GX3M1A1333C9, GSkill Ares F3-1333C9D-16GAO, Patriot Gamer2 PGD316G1333ELK

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ninja Rope posted:

I flashed that crazy AHCI enabling BIOS but it didn't make any difference. Any suggestions?
Get another 8GB stick. 2+8 won't work, you need 8+8.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

diehlr posted:

Is this BSD based? You want gstat.

Watch for spikes in MS/r and MS/w. If either is spiking, your drive isn't doing well.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fletcher posted:

Ughhh that stupid 2-Wire 3600HGV is such a piece of poo poo, I can't stand mine. I almost want to switch from U-Verse to Comcast just so I don't have to use the drat thing anymore.

My 2Wire works fine for routing, but the first thing I did was kill its built-in wireless and setup a DD-WRT unit as a wireless AP, no real complaints that way.

teamdest posted:

actually going through it right now, glaring omission. My fault, will be corrected shortly.

Excellent :pervert:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dumb question: If I stick my four 2TB drives in my N40L, can I install my OS on those drives? Or do I need to somehow get an SSD or something to install on separately?

The plan is to use RAID6, and either Amahi or WHS. Which ... I'm open to ideas here. I like the idea of Amahi, but I've never used it and I'm definitely more comfortable in Windows.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Krakkles posted:

Dumb question: If I stick my four 2TB drives in my N40L, can I install my OS on those drives? Or do I need to somehow get an SSD or something to install on separately?

The plan is to use RAID6, and either Amahi or WHS. Which ... I'm open to ideas here. I like the idea of Amahi, but I've never used it and I'm definitely more comfortable in Windows.

Generally most people use a separate smaller drive (Windows), or an USB stick (Linux/FreeNAS/etc) to install the OS on.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Krakkles posted:

You can, but there is also another internal SATA and USB port you could use for a boot drive (flash drive, SSD, SATA->CF adapter, etc).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

For Amahi you just install linux on the server first, create an account on the amahi site and follow the set up instructions. Once it's running you can administer everything via the web interface. Then set up greypool which is the same concept as WHS storage rather than using something like raid 6. Though I'm not sure that WHS will be around for much longer.

If you just want a raid 6 setup and you don't want any of the amahi features like dynamic dns, local dns caching or the applications then you might find freenas somewhat easier to set up.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

movax posted:

Excellent :pervert:

Finished for the moment FYI. Any recommendations?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

why 6 instead of 10?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Amahi could be added as a nas option. It has greypool, dns caching, local aliasing for web based applications running everything from solitaire to drupal, you get a free dynamic dns url, web interface for controlling it and provides an easy path for installing openVPN. They also seem to have added their own cloudsync service recently.

I've managed to break a lot of the media applications on it but otherwise it seems solid so far. I run ps3mediaserver on the same server to make up for the DLNA issues.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

why 6 instead of 10?

Beats me. Why should I do 10 over 6?

I chose 6 because I like the idea of being able to have two drives fail and not losing my pictures.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

With 4 drives 10 will do the same with better perf or less load, depending on the bottleneck.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

With 4 drives 10 will do the same with better perf or less load, depending on the bottleneck.

Only problem is if you lose the wrong two drives, you still lose the set; RAID6 can sustain any two drive failure.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Only problem is if you lose the wrong two drives, you still lose the set; RAID6 can sustain any two drive failure.
Jesus I'm retarded.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Has anyone setup Freenas plugins and gotten folder permissions working?

I have a mount point in my jail that is shared to sabnzbd. For some reason sabnzbd can't create new folders due to permissions. If I create the folders manually, then I'm able to have files decompress properly.

How do I get this same mount point to be read by users outside of the jail (I.e. through a afp or cifs share)

I can't for the life of me get minidlna working either.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
So what are the odds we'll see the 3TB WD Reds drop back down to $150 (or maybe lower) on Black Friday? I didn't order any drives with my N40L the other day because I wasn't 100% sure exactly how I wanted to set up my array. By the time I figured it out, the Newegg deal expired and Amazon went back up to their regular price.

Right now, the best price I'm seeing is $158.20 each on Amazon, but there's a limit of 3 per customer and I need 5 drives. Trying to figure out if it's worth waiting a week for a better price or if I should go ahead and get 3 from Amazon @ $158 and then the other two from Newegg for $170.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
If you don't need them RIGHT NOW, I'd wait. They've been $149 before, both on Amazon and NewEgg, so it would probably be worth your while to wait a few days to see where the prices go.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Ethereal posted:

Has anyone setup Freenas plugins and gotten folder permissions working?

I have a mount point in my jail that is shared to sabnzbd. For some reason sabnzbd can't create new folders due to permissions. If I create the folders manually, then I'm able to have files decompress properly.

How do I get this same mount point to be read by users outside of the jail (I.e. through a afp or cifs share)

I can't for the life of me get minidlna working either.

I had some permissions problems that were solved by using setfacl. If you can explain what permissions you want to set and what is the current behaviour I can point you in the right direction.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003

titaniumone posted:

Is this BSD based? You want gstat.

Watch for spikes in MS/r and MS/w. If either is spiking, your drive isn't doing well.

So far, the problem hasn't resurfaced, but I will give that a while anyway out of curiosity.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ok, definitely staying with RAID6, then. (:love: evil_bunny)

So I'm still trying to decide what to do in terms of OS. I was thinking WHS would be easiest, but now I'm not so sure - as someone mentioned earlier, it's defunct. I don't necessarily care about that - as long as it continues working, I'm not worried about whether it's current. I'm not going to be moving out of Windows 7 for my PCs for the forseeable future, so nothing else is going to force an upgrade that wouldn't work with WHS, as far as I know.

The big questions that I've come up with since reading about WHS online are:
  • Does WHS actually implement RAID (as far as I know, the N40L that I'm loading the drives into doesn't have hardware RAID only does RAID 1,0 via hardware, but if I'm wrong on that, that would resolve this question as well) or just uses some Windows variation of it (Drive Extender? Though WHS 2011 doesn't seem to have that, so if that's the case ... what do I do?)
  • Will the fact that WHS is no longer produced cause issues for me? I don't think so, but I don't know that for sure.
  • Do I have to use the required 160gb drive to install onto, or can I install onto a USB stick, as I'd planned to? I believe that ubuntu + amahi will allow this, so that could be a point in favor of that option. If WHS will let me install onto a USB stick, what size would I need? The fact that linux seems to be able to do it with a 4GB (though I'd probably go to 8, just to be safe) is attractive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think any Windows can run off a USB stick because it resets the USB ports as it boots, or something like that. You could run ESXi off a USB stick but that's probably a bit overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Krakkles, any reason you don't want to go down the ZFS route instead, using something like FreeNAS or NAS4Free?