Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's assumed 40k knowledge. He's the Primarch of the Alpha Legion (probably. Sometimes.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

MisterFuzzles posted:

Going to spoiler this in case someone hasnt read Eisenhorn (Cant imagine who if you are reading this thread but hey) Like Neph said, all Alpha Legion marines identify themselves as that. They are one of the Traitor marine chapters. The whole point was to show just how far Eisenhorn has fallen and just what he will use/ally with etc "For the good of the Imperium". Because having a Daemonhost in his thrall just isn't enough.

Okay, thanks. So it's not like I'm just forgetting somebody from the three Eisenhorn books. This is something new he's been up to.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

McCoy Pauley posted:

Okay, thanks. So it's not like I'm just forgetting somebody from the three Eisenhorn books. This is something new he's been up to.

Those guys are fun! Read up on their fluff, and you'll understand why it makes perfect sense that Eisenhorn has been palling around with them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hello guys. I've been out of touch with Black Library stuff for a while, and I'm craving some good 40k fiction.

I've already got most of the great stuff, but I don't know anything about recent releases - my latest purchase was Prospero Burns. Any recommendations?

As an aside; how good are the Matthias Thulman books? I read Brunner the Bounty Hunter, and it had plenty of references to classic westerns, and the short story format was quite enjoyable.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
About halfway through Pariah now and whilst I am enjoying all the usual Dan Abnett thrills I'm still itching for some reference to the whole Ravenor/Eisenhorn thing. I'm also struggling to picture the place in the timeline it is set in as I don't remember any reference to Queen Mab etc in the earlier trilogies.

I love the Curst and Warblind ideas though.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Emnity posted:

About halfway through Pariah now and whilst I am enjoying all the usual Dan Abnett thrills I'm still itching for some reference to the whole Ravenor/Eisenhorn thing. I'm also struggling to picture the place in the timeline it is set in as I don't remember any reference to Queen Mab etc in the earlier trilogies.

The timeline of the planet is not important, and has nothing to do with Eisenhorn and Ravenor. You will soon encounter some obvious links with the older books!

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Emnity posted:

I don't remember any reference to Queen Mab etc in the earlier trilogies.

One of the best parts of writing 40k must be the ability to pull anything you want out of your rear end any time, and still have it be canon :haw:

love my preemies!
Sep 26, 2004

Azran posted:

Hello guys. I've been out of touch with Black Library stuff for a while, and I'm craving some good 40k fiction.

I've already got most of the great stuff, but I don't know anything about recent releases - my latest purchase was Prospero Burns. Any recommendations?

last HH book I bought was Know No Fear, which kicked rear end, so there's that. I'm planning on picking up either The Emperors Gift or starting the Night Lords series next.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Toad Tunnel posted:

last HH book I bought was Know No Fear, which kicked rear end, so there's that. I'm planning on picking up either The Emperors Gift or starting the Night Lords series next.

Night Lords, the entire series is loving awesome.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Emnity posted:

It is set well before the Tyranids show up, if that helps (shot in the dark M38?). Gaunt refers to Ravenor's book "Spheres of Longing" at least once.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
IIRC the Eisenhorn series takes place shortly after the Gothic War, so it's early (200-300) M41. Gaunt's Ghost takes place around the Sabbat Worlds Crusade some 500 years later. The Tyranids first showed up around this time, too.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Nephilm posted:

IIRC the Eisenhorn series takes place shortly after the Gothic War, so it's early (200-300) M41. Gaunt's Ghost takes place around the Sabbat Worlds Crusade some 500 years later. The Tyranids first showed up around this time, too.

hence why in Ravenor Rogue they encounter Tyranids during a cross-time-dimensional-universe warp trip thingy Ravenor and his crew are all 'wtf mate'.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Aemos mentions Tyranids in one of the Eisenhorn books but that's probably an oversight.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Azran posted:

Definitely Night Lords! Seconding Know No Fear too, which is my favorite out of the HH series.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Alright, thanks for the answers! I will be getting Know no Fear and the Night Lords books. :v:

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I remember my brother telling me a while back when he first sold me on the WH40K universe that Imperial Navy ships are so large that there can be wars between levels and whole generations of crew will live their whole lives on ship with no chance of shore leave. Are there any books or short stories that deal with this? Or is this fluff straight from a table top game?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I remember my brother telling me a while back when he first sold me on the WH40K universe that Imperial Navy ships are so large that there can be wars between levels and whole generations of crew will live their whole lives on ship with no chance of shore leave. Are there any books or short stories that deal with this? Or is this fluff straight from a table top game?

I've heard about the second thing (whole generations living inside a ship without ever knowing the outside world), and I think it was in a Horus Heresy novel. But considering the scale of Warhammer 40k, it's a "Sure, why not". :v:

By the way, I was browsing the BL website and saw Pariah. "Huh, Dan Abnett. Maybe it will be a good rea- Wait, wait. EISENHORN AND RAVENOR?" :stare:
What's the deal with that book?

And has ADB said anything about how long the Night Lord series is going to be? I see three books available, and I don't know if I should wait for an Omnibus, or if more books are planned.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I read that in some old codex, too. But people live hundreds of years in 40k, assuming they don't get grimdark'd to death. Even in the Horus Heresy books I have read, all the crew are from some planet. Imperial Guard are recruited from home planets, too. Assuming they survive the campaign/ term of service, they get dumped back out into civillian life (however unlikely). That's how every author I've read treats it anyway.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
No. Important people get to live hundreds of years; Joe Imperial without access to rejuvenat treatments gets as many years as his physiology will hold in whatever environment he lives in, from a relatively easy 60-70 in a verdant agriworld, to being lucky if he makes it past 40 as an underhive labourer.

As for ship crews, nominally enlisted personnel get what you'd expect in terms of tours of duty and shore leaves, but the slave labour that's the engine gangs are either born on board or literally corralled from the lower classes of whatever suitable pits top the ship finds and pressed into work to replenish numbers lost by combat/natural attrition. This is the norm for Imperial Navy vessels, but you'll get exceptions like Astartes vessels that are crewed almost solely by chapter serfs and Mechanicum in which even the most menial of menials (that's not a servitor) is part of the priesthood.

As for books dealing specifically with the life of one of these nameless many, nope. They're a background detail in books that include a significant description of life on a WH40k ship above a certain size, but little more.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a short story in an old Citadel Journal or Inferno! I have lying around somewhere that actually goes into some detail about one pressganged dude's time on a ship, he works out how many people there are on the ship by counting his gun crew and some other ship knowledge.

It's so old a story that there's an Electro-priest in it.

CaptainAttitude
May 31, 2003

This haircut was a good idea.
ADB said on his facebook page that he was going to revisit Helsreach. I support this decision.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Lead Psychiatry posted:

There are two pretty good novels that deal mainly with the Imperial Navy: Battlefleet Gothic - Execution Hour and Battlefleet Gothic - Shadow Point (both by Gordon Rennie). I remember Shadow Point focusing a good amount on the societal structure that develops on a Navy ship.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Thewittyname posted:

There are two pretty good novels that deal mainly with the Imperial Navy: Battlefleet Gothic - Execution Hour and Battlefleet Gothic - Shadow Point (both by Gordon Rennie). I remember Shadow Point focusing a good amount on the societal structure that develops on a Navy ship.

This sounds perfect. And with the added bonus of being able to read some into a Black Crusade.

Thanks for the answers all!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

There's a short story in an old Citadel Journal or Inferno! I have lying around somewhere that actually goes into some detail about one pressganged dude's time on a ship, he works out how many people there are on the ship by counting his gun crew and some other ship knowledge.

Though it's hinted that he might not be an electro-priest. "Remember, lads, there ain't no words for every void-born thing..."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
True, he could always be something else. The description fitted it pretty well though, and that was a response to him being asked if he was a psyker.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

That story also has an arco-flagellant in too IRC

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Azran posted:

As an aside; how good are the Matthias Thulman books? I read Brunner the Bounty Hunter, and it had plenty of references to classic westerns, and the short story format was quite enjoyable.
I liked them - I've read the first two, but waited so long to read the third that I have to re-read them again just to remind myself of what is going on. To be honest, I've enjoyed everything I've read by CL Werner.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Lead Psychiatry posted:

You can read some cool ship based books called Execution Hour & Shadow Point. Execution Hour is one of my favorite 40k books.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Speaking of Fantasy, what's the friendliest book/story to get myself acquainted? I have the compiled Hammer and Bolter Vol 1 and have read a Gotrek and Felix story (A Place of Quiet Assembly), which was okay, and then I tackled some novella about a knight but put it down because it was a little too dry for me.

I've been recommended Malus Darkblade, but I'm generally not a fan of pasty thin antiheroes with evil swords.

Homemaster
Nov 17, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm pretty sure the first three Horus Heresy books were awesome, why the hate?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Has anyone checked out the HH: Betrayal book from Forge World yet? Looks impressive, though I'm interested in knowing if its filled with FW's characteristic brain-fart typos and grammatical weirdness.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 18, 2012

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

Speaking of Fantasy, what's the friendliest book/story to get myself acquainted? I have the compiled Hammer and Bolter Vol 1 and have read a Gotrek and Felix story (A Place of Quiet Assembly), which was okay, and then I tackled some novella about a knight but put it down because it was a little too dry for me.

I've been recommended Malus Darkblade, but I'm generally not a fan of pasty thin antiheroes with evil swords.

Zavant is a good one. It's basically a Fantasy Sherlock Holmes novel with a Halfling Watson.

The "Mathias Thulmann, Witch Hunter" and "Brunner the Bounty Hunter" series are good as well. Both are by CL Werner, and he's one of the better BL Fantasy writers.

The "Gotrek and Felix" series is good for less grimdark fantasy. The "Thanquol and Boneripper" series are based on characters from G&F, but I haven't read those books yet (though they're written by CL Werner, so I'm sure they will be good.)

I've heard good things about the "Time of Legends: Nagash" series, but can't vouch for them personally (again, haven't read them yet.)

Warhammer Fantasy is a tough genre as it doesn't have a whole lot to set it apart from other generic fantasy settings. Many of the books feel like they are just transplanted into the Warhammer world. Honestly, with WH Fantasy, much is going to come down to personal preference and the author.

Give the books I recommended a try though - I think they're safe bets.

By the way, here is a pretty cohesive list of the WH Fantasy books and one for 40K. These might be useful for people looking to track down titles they've missed or to investigate some series they haven't read.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

berzerkmonkey posted:

Zavant is a good one. It's basically a Fantasy Sherlock Holmes novel with a Halfling Watson.

The "Mathias Thulmann, Witch Hunter" and "Brunner the Bounty Hunter" series are good as well. Both are by CL Werner, and he's one of the better BL Fantasy writers.

The "Gotrek and Felix" series is good for less grimdark fantasy. The "Thanquol and Boneripper" series are based on characters from G&F, but I haven't read those books yet (though they're written by CL Werner, so I'm sure they will be good.)

I've heard good things about the "Time of Legends: Nagash" series, but can't vouch for them personally (again, haven't read them yet.)
Thank you! I saw Mathias Thulmann in a bookstore here but it disappeared... Zavant looks like my kind of thing.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Looks like the Black Library have been reprinting Deff Skwadron (comic) since June 2012. If you still haven't read it, this is a good way to pick it up without paying hundreds of dollars for a physical copy. You'll have to go to their site though, Amazon has the old version and the ridiculous prices.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Homemaster posted:

I'm pretty sure the first three Horus Heresy books were awesome, why the hate?

I don't know, I liked 'em.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Genevive books are pretty awesome oldschool Fantasy, as are all the Gotrek and Felix books until Giantslayer (which is... weird. And has the Webway....).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The first three HH books are good, in my opinion. My main complaint is how Dan Abnett just blows the other two writers out of the water - I felt some characters became too one-dimensional in the second and third book - (character spoiler) Erebus, particularly.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The first HH book is fantastic. I really liked the scene where it humanises Horus when he sits down and tells Loken one of the best kept secrets in the galaxy to help him cope with seeing a demon posses one of his men and kill Astartes.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

The Genevive books are pretty awesome oldschool Fantasy, as are all the Gotrek and Felix books until Giantslayer (which is... weird. And has the Webway....).

Wait a minute..... Wouldnt that mean that Warhammer Fantasy and 40k exist in the same universe? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr.48 posted:

Wait a minute..... Wouldnt that mean that Warhammer Fantasy and 40k exist in the same universe? :psyduck:

Yeah, they used to. That was a long time ago though and they've gone to an effort to make sure they don't really crossover anymore.

I think the Warhammer world was just thought of some rear end-backwards planet lost somewhere in space. You used to have guys with the occasional bolt pistol or even a powerfist.