Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Awesome feedback guys, thanks! Seems like a much cheaper alternative than what I thought I'd have to do. Do the carb tabs really work? I'd love to use those over making a solution for just a few bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

wattershed posted:

A full tank will theoretically hold 4 gallons of propane, which in liquid form weighs ~5 lbs a gallon. That's how we get the "20 lb propane tank" thing, however federal law states that the tanks aren't to be filled to more than 80% capacity, so you're really getting only 16 lbs (3.2 gallons) in a tank unless you have it manually filled beyond that 80% or do it yourself.
My local fill place either isn't aware of this or (more likely) doesn't give a gently caress. I'm not going to complain either way.

Definitely get an extra tank if you don't have a propane grill with its own tank that you can use in an emergency (or even if you do). It would really suck to have to get a tank filled/exchanged mid boil.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

wattershed posted:

As I was just reading about these things yesterday, a tiny bit of info for anyone interested. The following is for the blue rhino 20-lb tanks you can buy/exchange practically everywhere, and may not quite be the same if you're getting a tank continually refilled by a guy at a place (aka not just a tank swap):

A full tank will theoretically hold 4 gallons of propane, which in liquid form weighs ~5 lbs a gallon. That's how we get the "20 lb propane tank" thing, however federal law states that the tanks aren't to be filled to more than 80% capacity, so you're really getting only 16 lbs (3.2 gallons) in a tank unless you have it manually filled beyond that 80% or do it yourself.

For the typical 20 lb propane tank (again, the blue rhino style), the tare weight of it is 18 lbs, so 18 + 16 = 34 lbs. If you weigh your tank after you exchange/fill it and it's more than that, congrats on getting above 4 gallons of propane.

After the tank's first brew, weigh the tank again and see how far along on that scale from 34 -> 18 you are. If you're below 26 lbs, you're using more than 50% of the tank per brew and should pick up an auxiliary tank to assist in finishing off your boils. If you're only down to around 29 lbs or so after the first brew, you have a good shot at squeezing 3 cooks into one tank.

Knowing your burnoff rate is also great for testing out your kettle, burner, and regulator. Tinker with wind screens, how much O2 you're letting in via the reg, etc.

That takes a lot of guessing out of it. Thanks.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Our home's previous owner was going to build an outdoor kitchen prior to scrapping that idea and selling the place to us, but before he did he had the foresight to drop gas/electric/coax leads up through the concrete in the patio. We have the contractor who did our kitchen coming out soon to tell me what sort of setup I can get going with the natural gas lead to bypass this tank business altogether and eliminate one more thing to concern myself with on brew day.

If anyone in this thread's done similar work, let me know of anything I should be thinking about along the way.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I don't have any helpful insight but, wow, brewing inside with gas in a safe environment would be a dream.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

drat right. It says all over my bayou burner that you shouldn't hook it up to natural gas. But boy, I really wish you could as well!

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
They run at different pressures, but I know you can get natural gas burners for hurricane preparedness and such.

edit - A quick googling tells me that it is easy and common to convert a propane burner to a natural gas burner.

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 13, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You can also buy conversion kits for most gas grills that make them work on natural gas. Doing a quick search for "natural gas burner" suggests there are plenty of options out there.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

hellfaucet posted:

Awesome feedback guys, thanks! Seems like a much cheaper alternative than what I thought I'd have to do. Do the carb tabs really work? I'd love to use those over making a solution for just a few bottles.

The racking cane/bottling wand with a stopper method that Docjowles mentioned is a ~$4 solution that works perfectly.

wattershed posted:

As I was just reading about these things yesterday, a tiny bit of info for anyone interested. The following is for the blue rhino 20-lb tanks you can buy/exchange practically everywhere, and may not quite be the same if you're getting a tank continually refilled by a guy at a place (aka not just a tank swap):

For the typical 20 lb propane tank (again, the blue rhino style), the tare weight of it is 18 lbs, so 18 + 16 = 34 lbs. If you weigh your tank after you exchange/fill it and it's more than that, congrats on getting above 4 gallons of propane.

After the tank's first brew, weigh the tank again and see how far along on that scale from 34 -> 18 you are. If you're below 26 lbs, you're using more than 50% of the tank per brew and should pick up an auxiliary tank to assist in finishing off your boils. If you're only down to around 29 lbs or so after the first brew, you have a good shot at squeezing 3 cooks into one tank.

Knowing your burnoff rate is also great for testing out your kettle, burner, and regulator. Tinker with wind screens, how much O2 you're letting in via the reg, etc.
Brewing in my garage as opposed to outside in the wind seems like its saved me a ton of gas. I think I got 4 brews out of one tank last time. I guess I'll see. When it starts to feel "light," I tend to go get it refilled (which is a lot cheaper around here than an exchange, its usually like 11 bucks or so vs. 18+ to exchange)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 14, 2012

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Have my first batch of beer fermenting and I'm starting to wonder about bottling. I have a bunch of swingtop bottles that would be great, except they're clear. Does all light gently caress with a beer's taste or is it just sunlight? If it's all light I figure I'll just stick them in a paper bag when they go from the closet into the fridge. Will that be enough to protect the beer?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Newcastle uses clear bottles and they're always stored out in the open so ... I'd imagine it's just sunlight?

I know literally nothing about the topic, but there's an anecdote for ya.

mewse
May 2, 2006

AFAIK you don't have to black bag them like they're unexposed film, just store them in the dark

e:

Palmer posted:

Finally, it is important to keep the beer out of direct sunlight, especially if you use clear or green bottles. Exposure to sunlight or fluorescent light will cause beer to develop a skunky character. It is the result of a photo-chemical reaction with hop compounds and sulfur compounds. Contrary to popular belief, this is not a character that Heineken, Grolsch, and Molson strive for in their beer. It is simply a result of poor handling by retailers, and storing them under fluorescent lighting. Other beers like Miller High Life™ don't boil hops with the wort but instead use a specially processed hop extract for bittering which lacks the compounds that cause skunking (and flavor). Brown bottles are best unless you make a point of keeping your beer in the dark.

mewse fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 14, 2012

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Bottled Newcastle also tastes noticeably worse then draft in my experience. At least when I get it at a bar. If you get a pack in the store, its always boxed so it doesn't get lightstruck.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

wattershed posted:

Blue Rhino tanks hold less propane because they're physically smaller than a standard 20 lb. grill tank. The place that I get my tanks filled charges less to refill (not exchange) the BR tanks than a standard 20# tank because of this, and they keep an empty BR tank next to a standard tank in their showroom so that you can see the size difference.

Also, the last time I got my 20# tank filled they put in 4.3 gallons.

wattershed posted:

The precise tare weight of a tank should be stamped on the collar.

wargamerROB posted:

I have a bunch of swingtop bottles that would be great, except they're clear. Does all light gently caress with a beer's taste or is it just sunlight?
All light does; however, I wouldn't worry about the little bit of light exposure in the fridge. You'll probably have them emptied long before the light could damage the beer. That being said, while they're in your closet I would store them in a box just in case you decide to hold on to them for a while.

hellfaucet posted:

drat right. It says all over my bayou burner that you shouldn't hook it up to natural gas. But boy, I really wish you could as well!
Bayou does sell NG burners if you want to roll your own.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

fullroundaction posted:

Newcastle uses clear bottles and they're always stored out in the open so ... I'd imagine it's just sunlight?

I don't know about Newcastle, but I have read that Miller uses a stabilized extract for their beer, so even clear-bottled products are safe from lightstrike.

It's possible that Newcastle does the same thing, but I don't have any evidence either way.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Honestly, I've never noticed Newcastle in a bottle being skunked, and I definitely know what skunked tastes like. Just take a beer, set it out side and mow your lawn, and come back and it will be extremely obviously skunked.

Heineken tastes bad not because its skunked when I get it, but because Heineken is gross.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Nostratic posted:

I've been avoiding this thread for a while; I brewed my first batch mid-October, and it's now finishing out 2 weeks in the bottle. I decided I would set it aside and do my best to ignore it until then. I was fine until this past weekend when my best friend texted me, telling me to crack one open and taste it. I'd tasted it when I checked the final gravity, and told him what it tasted like at that point, but he wants a play by play now. Now I can't ignore the beer. It's like somebody took a huge neon side with an arrow pointing to the boxes that screams "BEER HERE!" every time I walk into the den where it sits.

I'm assuming this little neurotic fit of mine will only get worse until I actually chill a bottle and open it up, won't it :cry:

Open a bottle! It's a good learning experience to see how it changes over time :)

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Miller tastes like rear end when it's fresh so I'm not sure why they bother. Even compared to the other generic American lagers it's sub par.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Bottled Newcastle also tastes noticeably worse then draft in my experience. At least when I get it at a bar. If you get a pack in the store, its always boxed so it doesn't get lightstruck.

Not trying to argue the point, but the only way it's sold around here is in "open" sixpacks. The bottles aren't fully exposed, but certainly enough for the sake of this conversation.

It's strangely difficult to find actual data/information on this topic. Lots of opinions out there though.

Newcastle claims they use clear bottles so they can "show off" the beer BECAUSE IT HAS NOTHING TO HIDE :allears:

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Galler posted:

Miller tastes like rear end when it's fresh so I'm not sure why they bother.

Money. The answer is always money.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I guess I wasn't really thinking of 6-packs. Most grocery stores and beverage centers around me do 12-pack boxes or those mini-kegs.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Beer will skunk in a clear bottle in under 60 seconds when exposed to UV light. Miller High Life does use an unskunkable hop extract, but that's pretty much the only exception. Newcastle isn't very apparently skunky because there's barely any hops in it and if you're not really looking for it it's easy to miss.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Well I'm probably be keeping them in one of those stupid glass front winefridges so I'll bag em in the dark I guess. Thanks guys.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Any advice on ways to avoid negative pressure for bulk ageing? I mean besides "get a fridge."

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Shameless obligatory post for how awesome home brewing is:

I bottled my Sierra Nevada extract clone from AHS on Friday, it was my second ever batch. The first was Caribou Slobber from NB, which was good I guess if you like that kind of thing...

Despite it not being fully carbed and not as clear as what you would expect in a pale ale, it was freaking amazing. The first one was so good upon initial taste, I put another in the freezer to quickly cool. I'm not a hop freak, but it had a perfect balance of hops and tasted sooooo good.

I've got a Shiner Bock extract clone from AHS ready to go. I'll be making it sometime in the next few weeks with US05, instead of the recommended lager yeasts. :clint: This one is going to take about 2-3 months to be ready, but I can't wait to see how that turns out.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 14, 2012

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hombrefin-20

15 gallon pots for under $50 courtesy of homebrew finds.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

wargamerROB posted:

Well I'm probably be keeping them in one of those stupid glass front winefridges so I'll bag em in the dark I guess. Thanks guys.

Or you could line the door with something opaque.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How important are those last few days for carbing a beer via bottle conditioning? I have a batch I bottled on Monday and I'm hoping it will be ready in time for Thanksgiving. Do you guys think I cut it too close?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How important are those last few days for carbing a beer via bottle conditioning? I have a batch I bottled on Monday and I'm hoping it will be ready in time for Thanksgiving. Do you guys think I cut it too close?

You'll be fine, it may be low in carbonation, but it will have some fizz.

There's a million myths as to how it all started, but no one is sure.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Midorka fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 14, 2012

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Totally forgot about Corona in the clear bottle conversation. That would have made more sense to talk about than Newcastle, as their marketing campaign is literally "leave our clear bottles out in full sunlight on the beach".

Tried doing a little more research and found an article that claims the whole "lime in your Corona" was originally invented by them to cover up all the skunking. Don't know if there's any validity to that.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Toebone posted:

Open a bottle! It's a good learning experience to see how it changes over time :)

I chilled a couple and my wife and I tried it out tonight...

I made beer! And it's pretty good! :dance:

Can't wait to decide on what to do for the next batch!

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The beer will be carbonated, but during conditioning lots of magical organic chemistry happens and the end result is that after a few weeks of conditioning beer just tastes better. How much of a difference that will make depends on how long the beer has been in the fermenter.

If your beer was only a week old then an extra week conditioning will have more of an impact, if you kept it in either an extended primary (3+ weeks) or did a secondary fermentation then most of the ketones, esters, ethers, ect will have worked themselves out already. (I once had a beer that tasted like banana because a too hot fermentation produced a lot of esters)

99% of the time though the real tangible difference you taste is that subtler spices you used will assert themselves better after a few weeks conditioning.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Nostratic posted:

Can't wait to decide on what to do for the next batch!

This is truer than you think. You should decide very soon, because otherwise you will find yourself opening the last one and lamenting that your fermenter is still empty.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Ah the homebrewer's constant dilemma. I've found that if I'm not brewing the next batch by the time I'm opening the first bottles of the last one it's pretty much guaranteed I'm going to run out. I figure upgrading to do 10 gallon batches of my "standard" beers will be the solution, but I need to get to kegging first because I dislike bottling enough when its only around 50 of 'em.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

So the Brewer's Publications Yeast book says 1 gram of DME per 10ml of water. It then goes on to say for a typical 2L starter to start with 200g of DME and add water until you get 2L of stuff. This isn't 10ml of water per 1 gram of DME.

Which is right? Have I been making weak starters all this time by adding 200g of DME to 2L of water?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Prefect Six posted:

So the Brewer's Publications Yeast book says 1 gram of DME per 10ml of water. It then goes on to say for a typical 2L starter to start with 200g of DME and add water until you get 2L of stuff. This isn't 10ml of water per 1 gram of DME.

Which is right? Have I been making weak starters all this time by adding 200g of DME to 2L of water?

My usual (and I haven't had signs of strained yeast or anything less than a vigorous, quick fermentation) is a 4:1 water/DME ratio. I tend to stick with 8 cups h2o, 2 cups DME unless I need a huge starter (for 1.090+). The 8/2 ratio gets me about 1200ml to start with before I throw it on the stir plate.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
1 broken bucket, 2 incorrect fittings, 25 feet of incorrect hose, 1 owned (and useful!) part left at the hardware store, 0 gallons of beer.

Brewing is a productive and enjoyable hobby.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Prefect Six posted:

I do the second one (200g, then enough water to make a 2L solution) cause it's what Jamil says on his site. I dunno, it seems to work out fine.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Docjowles posted:

I do the second one (200g, then enough water to make a 2L solution) cause it's what Jamil says on his site. I dunno, it seems to work out fine.

It just seems odd that he says it should be a 10ml to 1g ratio and then says something completely different three sentences later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Infected a couple beers with something throwing off tons of acetaldehyde (well after something should reek of acetaldehyde).

Figure I'll just tell everyone it is either apple or elderberry beer. The one is a somewhat delicate tripel that it just overwhelmed. I secondaried a barleywine with a similar aroma but I'm hoping that's a bit ballsier of a beer that it won't dominate.

Its an infection in primary so my most likely culprits are a strainer I had some grain debris built up on until I recently dishwashered it, or my starter process. I guess my fermentation fridge too cause the tripel open fermented because I had a mismatched bucket and lid and the barleywine airlock ran dry cause I never actually looked at it for the month and a half it was in primary. So the fridge got kitchen cleanered and starsaned.