Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Flying Milton posted:

This is a pretty big thread. Has it been mentioned whether or not the Wii-U upscales Wii games?

If you mean changing the internal resolution or anything like that no it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

This is a pretty big thread. Has it been mentioned whether or not the Wii-U upscales Wii games?

No upscaling, no gamepad support, no doing anything except playing Wii games exactly as you would on a Wii.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Just got my copy of ZombiU in the mail for some reason, Best Buy jumped the gun on that one. Now I have to stare at it for a couple days waiting for the consol e to get here. :ohdear:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Regarding NSMBU. Ive read a few reviews and they all site level design and a nostalgia/x-factor that makes everyone love it. Despite its metacritic NSMB2 DID get POOR reviews for a Mario game, so I dont think people are afraid to talk bad or are giving it a free pass. Apparently its a proper Mario game with the fun that that entails.

But hey, when in doubt, RENT. RENT RENT RENT. Do not support games you think are bad by buying them, try it first, then buy retail, not second hand and you can vote with your wallet.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
So do I have any chance whatsoever to pick this up at midnight Saturday if I didn't preorder it?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There are ones available in store yes.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

First line of the first post:

quote:

:siren:In this post: Specs, OS, Online, FAQ:siren:

I put a Frequently Asked Questions in the OP so we wouldn't get the same questions so... frequently

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 16, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

beergod posted:

So do I have any chance whatsoever to pick this up at midnight Saturday if I didn't preorder it?

Call your local stores, to see if, 1. they will have midnight launch, 2. if they will have non preooredered stock.

It is different everywhere as stores are doing their own thing with their stock.

You really have to call you local stores.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I pre-ordered the console online with GameStop and paid extra for one day shipping. I confirmed it's shipping tomorrow with customer service...what are my chances of getting it Saturday vs Monday?

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005
Just picked up two copies of Flingsmash for $42 at Toys R Us. Each copy comes with a black Wii Motion Plus controller, so it's a cheap way to get a few extras for the Wii U.

Have two other Wii Controllers with the Motion Plus adapters on the bottom. Those will be for player three and four. The ones that usually get the Gamestop brand 3rd party controllers.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

SpeedRazor posted:

Just picked up two copies of Flingsmash for $42 at Toys R Us. Each copy comes with a black Wii Motion Plus controller, so it's a cheap way to get a few extras for the Wii U.

Have two other Wii Controllers with the Motion Plus adapters on the bottom. Those will be for player three and four. The ones that usually get the Gamestop brand 3rd party controllers.

Thats more expensive then just gettin a wiimote plus...

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Thats more expensive then just gettin a wiimote plus...

I got two Wii Motion Plus controllers though. $42 total for the two games, both come with a Wii Motion Plus controller in the box.

Not mine, but same thing: (Huge loving picture)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

SpeedRazor posted:

I got two Wii Motion Plus controllers though. $42 total for the two games, both come with a Wii Motion Plus controller in the box.

Not mine, but same:

Oh 42 total? Nevermind then. that A-ok.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Bombadilillo posted:

Regarding NSMBU. Ive read a few reviews and they all site level design and a nostalgia/x-factor that makes everyone love it. Despite its metacritic NSMB2 DID get POOR reviews for a Mario game, so I dont think people are afraid to talk bad or are giving it a free pass. Apparently its a proper Mario game with the fun that that entails.
I don't know if people just only remember the latest game in the series, but all of the reviews seem to lump NSMBWii with the portable series. Am I the only one who thought the Wii version was several steps above the other two? My memory of the superior level design in that one was the main thing holding my interest in the Wii U version.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're lumping it with the portable games because the last one came out like three months ago.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

J-Spot posted:

I don't know if people just only remember the latest game in the series, but all of the reviews seem to lump NSMBWii with the portable series. Am I the only one who thought the Wii version was several steps above the other two? My memory of the superior level design in that one was the main thing holding my interest in the Wii U version.

I couldnt say since I did not play NSMB2. I did play the Wii game with my kids and we all had a great time. I can't wait to play this new one, especially with the gamepad giving the youngest (who always got flack for dying) she now gets to make platforms and the other kids must depend on her! Its going to be great!

With regards to chaos. There were great times with NSMB when the kids said, 'that jump looks hard' and flung themselves to a reckless death so I could make the jump. Dying and killing each other was part of the fun. Come on Sunday.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

SpeedRazor posted:

Not mine, but same thing: (Huge loving picture)

This works online with the buy 1 get 1 40% off also, but it's only allowing 1 flingsmash in the cart. Oh well, I added pikmin 2 for wii since I never got around to playing it and my total is $43 dollars, so basically getting pikmin for free. Thanks for posting that!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

J-Spot posted:

No, you're not alone. The Wii version was a proper Mario game that may have been conventional and visually bland, but had far better level design and challenge level, and played with a lot of fun ideas. Even the levels that reused old ideas had some twist to them, like icy snake platforms. Also, the Wii version had coins that danced to the music, which made me inexplicably delighted.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

This works online with the buy 1 get 1 40% off also, but it's only allowing 1 flingsmash in the cart. Oh well, I added pikmin 2 for wii since I never got around to playing it and my total is $43 dollars, so basically getting pikmin for free. Thanks for posting that!

I came across the same issue when trying to order in store pickup. Drove to the one near my work and they had like 20 copies sitting in the bottom of the case.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thinking about grabbing AC3 at launch, but any word on if the DLC will be coming out for it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks: NSMBU! (click)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I love that a player placing blocks on the screen was intended as a griefing tool first and a co-op tool second. The devs know whats up

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Has anyone been able to pick up a Wii U game yet that's already been released?

edit: Like AC3, Batman, or Rabbids? They're all supposed to be out on 11/13 and Best Buy says you can pick them up on their website.

Glumwheels fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 16, 2012

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

I love that a player placing blocks on the screen was intended as a griefing tool first and a co-op tool second. The devs know whats up

If you aren't actively trying to gently caress over the other plays in NSMB games you're playing it wrong :colbert:

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

SpeedRazor posted:

Thanks for this, just went down to my local ToysRUs, had 5 in stock, I grabbed 3 so I'll have a complement of controllers. $75 including getting suckered into a $4 replacement plan.

Anybody wanna by a copy of Flingsmash? :smuggo:

Looks like the deal is available on ToysRUs Ebay if you want more than one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FlingSmash-with-MotionPlus-for-Nintendo-Wii-zS4-/350644374036?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item51a4088a14

I should also mention they were selling Wii U games so if you want to buy them before release that seems to be the place to go, Bellevue WA store YMMV

Fatal fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If you aren't actively trying to gently caress over the other plays in NSMB games you're playing it wrong :colbert:

It's not a Mario multiplayer game until friendships are broken and someone's one misspoken word away from simply vanishing from the face of the earth due to stealing everyone else's Stars/place in the race.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I never used my Gamecube much for anything except first party games. I never used my Wii much for anything except first party games.

God help me, I want this stupid thing, even though I know it is going to turn out the same :negative:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 16, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a youtube of the block assist/super skills video mentioned in the interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i9nfNVdOzg

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

With all the reviews flying up today am I the only one a bit... weirded out by the free pass NSMBU is getting? I fully expect the game to be pretty good and I'm excited for it, but some if not most of the reviews boil down to "Pros: It's a Mario game!" and "Cons: Everything ranging from Graphics, to Music, to lazyness." and it's still getting 9/10's and the like.

Yeah it's just numbers and I'd be fine if it got like a 7 or something, but just came off as odd to me as most reviews actual writing makes it sound like it should be a bit lower. v:v:v Eh though, can't wait to pick it up on Sunday and see for myself.

It's just the state that video game reviews are in these days and I feel the same way; "recycled music and graphics, low effort overall" does not equal a 9/10, no matter how good the level design is. Obviously I can't comment too much on it since I haven't played it, but following (for example) IGN's argumentation, how can a game cut that many corners and still be scored that high? Where's the room for improvement? Be bold and give it an 8/10 at least, if you can't bring yourself to score it lower.

Of course I am glad the game seems great because I am getting it day one but I guess as long as "it's a new Mario/Zelda/CoD/Uncharted!" is still a valid point on the "+" side of a review, they're all bullshit. But then again, so is IGN as a whole and giving them any credibility in the first place is a waste of time.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No-friends mode confirmed! :woop:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm really enjoying NSMB2, so if it is poo poo compared to NSMBU I'm pretty excited

Maybe slightly off topic, I did beat all the Star World levels and get the moon coins, if there is no challenge beyond coin rush I do see how the game fell a bit flat for many. I've been too busy playing Sticker Star to go back though :v:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Katana Gomai posted:

It's just the state that video game reviews are in these days and I feel the same way; "recycled music and graphics, low effort overall" does not equal a 9/10, no matter how good the level design is. Obviously I can't comment too much on it since I haven't played it, but following (for example) IGN's argumentation, how can a game cut that many corners and still be scored that high? Where's the room for improvement? Be bold and give it an 8/10 at least, if you can't bring yourself to score it lower.
I can sort of understand the point, but there are games where recycling music and graphics is pretty inconsequential in regards to how the game plays.

I'm skpetical that NSMBU deserves that high of a score*, but that's more because the NSMB series has been released so fast and generally played it so safe that the idea this new game suddenly changes everything is something Nintendo's going to regain my trust on.

*insomuch as any game can objectively be assigned a numerical value to compare it to other games (ie not much)

skog
Aug 20, 2009
I wonder if I'm screwing myself over multiplayer-wise if I get the Wii U version of BLOPS2, can't imagine the community being terribly big

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

skog posted:

I wonder if I'm screwing myself over multiplayer-wise if I get the Wii U version of BLOPS2, can't imagine the community being terribly big

Every new generation, we want to believe that Nintendo will go to the hoop with third party support, and every generation, that doesn't happen. Of course you are screwing yourself over, and unfortunately, this is going to be a huge issue for any multiplayer heavy AAA title that gets a Wii U port. (Then the new Sony/Microsoft consoles are going to launch, and you'll be back to developers needing to either water down the game as it exists on the lead platforms, or not port at all, but that's a late 2013 problem, isn't it?)

Also, I own BLOPS2 on 360, and as someone who usually loves the batshit campaigns in CoD, let me tell you, so far, the multiplayer is the only reason you'd want to own that game.

I know I'll need a Wii U sometime - Bayonetta 2 alone ensures that - but I have no illusions that I'll be playing anything but Nintendo games and the odd third-party exclusive on this thing.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

katkillad2 posted:

Grabbed a(nother) copy of Flingsmash solely for the cheap Motion Plus controller. Also grabbed the Kirby Collection, totaled to just under $60. Thanks for posting. Not sure what I'm going to do with an extra Flingsmash but meh.

On another note, I really wish I knew what developers were planning to release their games digitally. I know Ubisoft wants to get their games up there but I'd rather not grab Scribblenauts or Sonic Racing if they will eventually be up on the eshop.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Glumwheels posted:

Has anyone been able to pick up a Wii U game yet that's already been released?

edit: Like AC3, Batman, or Rabbids? They're all supposed to be out on 11/13 and Best Buy says you can pick them up on their website.

I picked up my copy of Batman on Wednesday afternoon, so, yes, you can pick up any of the Wii U games that aren't dated for the 18th. I've seen a few people saying elsewhere that they were able to get Scribblenauts, the Rabbids game, and AC 3.

I'm looking forward to being a lazy rear end and playing through Arkham City for a second time on the controller while laying in bed or on the couch. I also plan to appear generous by relegating myself to playing on the pad in NSMBU co-op, then mercilessly drop people in pits. :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone willing to wait a few days and willing to go through hell, a few places are doing buy 2-3 game deals and get ~40% off and stuff for Black Friday.

Chaltab posted:

*insomuch as any game can objectively be assigned a numerical value to compare it to other games (ie not much)
Just normalize everything to a 2-3 point scale: bad, eh, good :v:

skog posted:

The first few Wii ones supposedly sold around a million and had decent communities I heard. I wouldn't expect a huge community or anything compared to the established consoles (cause big rear end user base as much as anything else), but a big game like BLOPS2 will probably do ok enough. Then there's this from the last page (different part of the article than before):
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/181680/Wii_Us_software_preorders_double_those_of_the_original_Wii.php

quote:

That's a tie ratio of 2.4 games for every console, which the company says is more than double what it saw leading up to the launch of the original Wii.

This is certainly attributable to a much stronger third-party lineup this time around. The company says preorders were led by (in no particular order, we imagine) Ubisoft's Zombie U and Assassin's Creed 3, Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Warner Bros.' Scribblenauts Unlimited, and Nintendo's New Super Mario Bros. U.

By comparison, the original Wii's strongest launch title (not including the packed-in Wii Sports) was The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Third-party support included titles like Rayman: Raving Rabbids and Red Steel.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Edoraz posted:

At least its easy to figure out which goons were the butt end of being tossed into a death pit.

Cause I loved the four player in NSMBW.

Two player was crazy but manageable, but any 4 player attempt with any of my friends ended pretty quickly.

"Hey you go- oh you're dead. Okay I'll- no I'm dead. Hey stop ju- okay I'm dead again"

And then we'd just play Rock Band.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Humongous Pear posted:

I picked up my copy of Batman on Wednesday afternoon, so, yes, you can pick up any of the Wii U games that aren't dated for the 18th. I've seen a few people saying elsewhere that they were able to get Scribblenauts, the Rabbids game, and AC 3.

I'm looking forward to being a lazy rear end and playing through Arkham City for a second time on the controller while laying in bed or on the couch. I also plan to appear generous by relegating myself to playing on the pad in NSMBU co-op, then mercilessly drop people in pits. :v:

Batman doesn't have the Gamepad play feature, that screen is always being used for something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Rocco posted:

Two player was crazy but manageable, but any 4 player attempt with any of my friends ended pretty quickly.

"Hey you go- oh you're dead. Okay I'll- no I'm dead. Hey stop ju- okay I'm dead again"

And then we'd just play Rock Band.

I beat the game with two friends and had a blast doing so. There were a few places where we had to call someone out to "solo" because the platforms were too narrow though.

• Locked thread