Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
One thing I've heard about LTE (don't have it) is that the latency is lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Zarkov Cortez posted:

One thing I've heard about LTE (don't have it) is that the latency is lower.

I can't speak for the entire country but the penetration through buildings on LTE seems to be loving terrible. I get LTE with 5 bars outside my apartment but it drops down to fake 4G [and sometimes even EDGE] as soon as I go inside. Same result in all the malls here. To be fair it's in Saskatchewan but I've heard similar stuff in BC/Ontario.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Godinster posted:

I can't speak for the entire country but the penetration through buildings on LTE seems to be loving terrible. I get LTE with 5 bars outside my apartment but it drops down to fake 4G [and sometimes even EDGE] as soon as I go inside. Same result in all the malls here. To be fair it's in Saskatchewan but I've heard similar stuff in BC/Ontario.

Sounds like my experience with HSPA+ and my office :saddowns:

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Godinster posted:

This is highly dependent on the frequencies each carrier offer LTE at. The auctions for the recently freed up 700 mhz spectrum have yet to begin, and that frequency will be the best at building penetration by far.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Nexus 4 just went on sale on the google play site

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
My experience with LTE on my iPhone is that, while it's not as fast as some of the numbers I've seen reported on verizon, I'm able to reliably bring down 10MBps on Bell's network. The real benefit is the latency. I never see 'buffering' spinners any more. It kind of creeped me out at first because it's faster than my home internet in that regard.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 26, 2013

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Not sure how new these are but Fido has some OK plans right now, til the 25th.

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/monthly/smartplans

Unlimited text, minutes, canada wide long distance and 1gb data. Comes with call waiting/conference/visual voicemail/Call display/name display/whocalled

$57

And it's available month to month or with 2 year contracts.

The hilarious thing is that you can't get the plan with a 3 year contract. That's because the only phones that Fido sells that require a 3 year are iPhones. So to screw over anyone who absolutely must have their iPhone they offer the EXACT same deal except they call it a "Max Plan" instead of "Smart Plan" and it puts you on a 3 year contract but they charge $80/month.

I'm tempted to switch from my koodo plan since I don't use all that much data. I could sign on for 2 years and get a free galaxy nexus that I could craigslist since I already have one. Plus it'd save me $3/month over the Koodo plan and I'd get visual VM instead of the old kind that koodo uses.

Edit: Hmm, visual voicemail app for android doesn't have much in the way of good reviews https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fido.vvm

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 15, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Sassafras posted:

Can you substantiate that 'better latency' claim? What sort of pings do you get on the LTE network?

There's very little information available that compares carriers' performance in that regard and even less for Canada, yet RTT is really more significant than downstream for how everything other than HD video feels.

Entirely unscientific, but ~10-15ms according to the speed test app. I don't know how that compares because I never thought to test it before.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 15, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ZShakespeare posted:

Entirely unscientific, but ~10-15ms according to the speed test app. I don't know how that compares because I never thought to test it before.

I also talked to a friend of mine and he mentioned that his iPhone 3GS also doesn't have a buffering period, so I'm just going to chalk that one up to to An android/ios thing.

You can disable LTE and run the test again. I'd do it for my iPad but I just cancelled Bell for being complete toolbags wrt billing. I guess I'll pick up a Rogers sim or something with the Mini w/cellular comes in.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

mediaphage posted:

You can disable LTE and run the test again. I'd do it for my iPad but I just cancelled Bell for being complete toolbags wrt billing. I guess I'll pick up a Rogers sim or something with the Mini w/cellular comes in.

I'm full of poo poo it seems

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

EVOLVE DRAGON

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I love how the 3G is 3x faster and better ping than LTE.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
To be fair, you have a poo poo LTE connection and full bars 3G.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
It is really sad when my cell has faster speeds than my cable connection.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Got a shipping confirmation for my N4, it's supposed to arrive next Tuesday :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Got a shipping confirmation for my N4, it's supposed to arrive next Tuesday :(
The gently caress are you frowning for?

Kowak
Jan 1, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with The Mobile Shop?

Skeeter Green
Aug 15, 2001

24 strings

ZShakespeare posted:

One test each isn't a very good sample size, you could have just hit a patch of LTE lag or poor signal while the 3G test went through under optimal conditions. Also make sure you're pinging the same server on each test.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Squibbles posted:

Not sure how new these are but Fido has some OK plans right now, til the 25th.

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/monthly/smartplans

Unlimited text, minutes, canada wide long distance and 1gb data. Comes with call waiting/conference/visual voicemail/Call display/name display/whocalled

$57

I'm thinking of pulling the pin on this today for my wife and I unless I can find something better, which to be honest I haven't. Wind and Mobilicity still aren't up to snuff seeing as I spend a lot of time out of the city.

We might be moving to Sask. in 6 months or so and their Rogers/Fido coverage sucks. We're going to have to buy the phones from Mobilicity so we don't get nailed for such a high cancellation fee. I can't believe Fido still lists the Nexus at $600 when everyone else has dropped their price to nearly half that.

Dfuz
Sep 27, 2002

Squibbles posted:

Edit: Hmm, visual voicemail app for android doesn't have much in the way of good reviews https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fido.vvm

Its horrible. A notification telling you "vvm is synching" comes up about every fifteen seconds, which cuts your battery time in half. About twice a day I install it, let it check for messages and then promptly uninstall it again. Worst app I've ever used.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Skeeter Green posted:

One test each isn't a very good sample size, you could have just hit a patch of LTE lag or poor signal while the 3G test went through under optimal conditions. Also make sure you're pinging the same server on each test.

If you actually want to see latency you shouldnt use the lovely speedtest app. Find the ip of your gateway and ping that.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Dfuz posted:

Its horrible. A notification telling you "vvm is synching" comes up about every fifteen seconds, which cuts your battery time in half. About twice a day I install it, let it check for messages and then promptly uninstall it again. Worst app I've ever used.

I saw mention they have an alternative method you can use that utilizes MMS messages? Have you tried that and if so, how well does it work?

Dfuz
Sep 27, 2002

Squibbles posted:

I saw mention they have an alternative method you can use that utilizes MMS messages? Have you tried that and if so, how well does it work?

No I haven't... But Ill look into it. When I first started this plan I just had standard voicemail which was fine. This vvm nonsense got added without me knowing. I want to go back to srandard but I've been too busy to call them. Where did you see this MMS option mentioned?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Dfuz posted:

No I haven't... But Ill look into it. When I first started this plan I just had standard voicemail which was fine. This vvm nonsense got added without me knowing. I want to go back to srandard but I've been too busy to call them. Where did you see this MMS option mentioned?

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/manageyourcalls/visualvoicemailplus

quote:

Users with a supported Android and BlackBerry device can manage their voicemail messages through an application. Other mobile phones will receive voicemail messages via Picture/Video (MMS) messages.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Godinster posted:

LTE uses a different frequency. Telus is 850mhz for hsdpa but 1700/2100 for LTE. That frequency gives it the wall penetration power of wifi, except at a much higher broadcast power. That's why the 700mhz auction is a big deal™.

Its also why Wind and Mobilicity have such terrible signal when indoors. Same frequency as LTE so same signal penetration problems but for all of their service.

Aenslaed fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 18, 2012

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Will a Telus phone (HTC Desire) work with a Koodo SIM without being unlocked? If no, will Telus unlock an older phone like the Desire for free?

I upgraded from the Desire a year ago and it's been sitting in a drawer since, my friend would like to use it if possible.

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

Kreez posted:

Will a Telus phone (HTC Desire) work with a Koodo SIM without being unlocked? If no, will Telus unlock an older phone like the Desire for free?

I upgraded from the Desire a year ago and it's been sitting in a drawer since, my friend would like to use it if possible.

I've used this seller 3-4 times and never had a problem with them.
http://r.ebay.com/fNXDpb

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Kreez posted:

I'm in the same situation as you. Apparently according to the compatibility thing on koodos website it won't. I got an unlock code from eBay as well but it looks as if your best option is to sell it. Let me know if your results are different though

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Hmm, I just remembered I tried to unlock it a few years ago when I was going to be in the US for a week. I downloaded some tool from XDA that was supposed to unlock the phone without using the code. It didn't work (program said "Success!" but non-Telus SIMs still spat out a "SIM locked" message), so I bought a code from eBay, which the phone accepted with no issue (saying Network unlock successful or something), but it didn't actually unlock the phone, and it would just ask for a code again upon rebooting. I'm guessing this is due to the tool I used before. If the Koodo SIM doesn't work, I'll just try running the tool again, it's been updated a ton since I used it 2 years ago.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm not familiar with the desire, but I had a desire z and I recall that I had to take some extra step to get s-off (sim unlock) during the rooting process. Of course this was before there were automated tools.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hahahah yesssssssss sGoogle Voice now forward to my stupid Canadian number hurrayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Hahahah yesssssssss sGoogle Voice now forward to my stupid Canadian number hurrayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Wait holy poo poo what, we get Google Voice now??!!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just tried with a Vancouver number and it didn't work. :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, "could not be verified" on a Vancouver number, gently caress you guy for getting me all excited :(

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

So if I live in Victoria and want a wind mobile sim card, can I just order one online?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

My latest Rogers billing email posted:

Note: If you are using Internet based e-mail (using a browser to access your email), you will need to select "Open in New Window".

Internet-based email you say? :monocle:

If I'm going to be given incorrect nomenclature by an ostensibly-technology-focused organization, I at least expect it to be for reasons of pandering to the consumer's ignorance. This is simply incorrect.

Anyway, </pedantry>

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Kowak posted:

Does anyone have any experience with The Mobile Shop?

It can't be any worse than Best Buy Mobile. If you're doing a new activation there's probably some decent gift card offers but as far as renewals/upgrades, it's all the same.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, "could not be verified" on a Vancouver number, gently caress you guy for getting me all excited :(

After some Googlin' it appears GV can forward to Calgary numbers. Us Vancouverites are cooler, Google!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

If you have an android phone, try verifying through the app - don't use the online thing as that didn't work for me, either. I have an Ontario phone number and it's working fine.