Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That locomotive weighed in at 145 tons. Assuming only half of that weight impacted from a height of about 12 feet that's something like 60,000 tons of impact force (based on some very quick and dirty googled up force calculator math). Obviously that's spread over a large area but I don't think much of it is going to be salvageable, and that's before the other end hit too.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I thought we had pictures earlier in this thread of a locomotive that suffered a similar impact?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

CharlesM posted:

I thought we had pictures earlier in this thread of a locomotive that suffered a similar impact?

This one?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 7, 2012

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Argh! They broke her back. Don't worry, they'll just bend up some frame rail braces and buy about 500 pounds of welding rod.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
The button cap for the bell is removable. People stick the oddest things in them. From funny to NWS.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yeah, I think that was it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

The button cap for the bell is removable. People stick the oddest things in them. From funny to NWS.

Wow... you get creative ones... All I get is crap! Or just sticking my finger in the hole.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Kind of sort of trains. One day I should go and have a look at this
http://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/country-nsw/deniliquin-area/finley/attractions/finley-railway-museum
It's one of those things that you live near but never really think about going to.

A couple of streets up from that is a museum of sorts with a lot of old equipment too including the town's old lighting plant. I'd like to go see that too.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

B4Ctom1 posted:

This needs to be a feature in the next Railworks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I had no idea anyone was still making diesel mechanical locomotives. That seems more than a little insane to me. I wonder why they did it?

Incidentally I have to wonder why no one has tried the locomotive model in a car. Diesels work best when used on a high torque load with little variation in RPM so hook up a small efficient turbo-diesel to a generator with some moderate capacity batteries (hybrid style) and drive the car purely on electric motors with the batteries to provide a boost when accelerating and getting charged when standing still. You'd be able to run the diesel at whatever its most efficient speed is all the time, and shut it off when the batteries are at full charge. Sure, weight would be an issue, but that's an issue with any electric car. Am I nuts? This seems obvious to me.

Barely on topic but the gas engine in the prius is as efficient as a diesel, though less powerful per litre. It leaves the intake valves open during the start of the compression stroke, partially pressurising the intake to remove pumping losses on the next intake stroke, also allowing a longer effective expansion stroke than compression.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Bow TIE Fighter posted:

You basically described a Prius, the electric motor does most of the propulsion, while the gas engine is a generator and can assist when accelerating. There's s few types of hybrids, most locomotives are "series" where only the electric motor propels the vehicle and the gas engine is just a generator, while the Prius is "parallel" where both motors are used as needed. I'm sure by now someone has made a diesel hybrid car, I know European car makers have very efficient diesel motors in their small cars, so the technology is out there.

Not really. The engine in the prius is connected in parallel to the wheels with the electric motor, through a planetary gearset.

http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

If you every hear so called "technical" people ripping on the prius, they are dumbasses. There is more clever tech in 1 prius than all musclecars from the 1960s.

Giblet Plus! fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 10, 2012

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Who likes a good exhaust fire/turbo oil seal failure? You do? You're in luck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BStjNHvys2M

vv I'd assume that a locomotive would be running a common rail with computer smarts instead of a mechanical lobe pump for injection, so shouldn't the air mass sensor pick the reduced volume of charge air and compensate?

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 10, 2012

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Falkenbok posted:

Who likes a good exhaust fire/turbo oil seal failure? You do? You're in luck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BStjNHvys2M

I don't think anything failed there. That's just how the trains run in Russia if this thread is anything to go by.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm pretty sure that's what happens when the blower/turbo fails to produce any kind of boost - the fuelling system is still injecting enough fuel for the amount of air it expects, but the air isn't there, so the exhaust ends up as a significant amount of superheated fuel vapor.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Giblet Plus! posted:

Not really. The engine in the prius is connected in parallel to the wheels with the electric motor, through a planetary gearset.

http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

If you every hear so called "technical" people ripping on the prius, they are dumbasses. There is more clever tech in 1 prius than all musclecars from the 1960s.

That's really not saying much though. Most complex item on most 1960's cars or trucks was the three speed column shift linkage.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Zeether posted:

This needs to be a feature in the next Railworks.
I don't know what this is.

My friend and fellow engineer owns a lot of heavy equipment. Some of it is antique.

He has a cool old 1800rpm 1956 Deutz F1L612 diesel engine. He is thinking about building a small track around his 10 acre property, and building a locomotive around this engine.

The track would be simple heavy gauge angle iron for cost. The tie lumber would be chopped sections of the plentiful local pine trees shaved only on one side and buried. The spikes would be simple lag screws.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I was talking about the pictures on the bell button. Although I bet with some texture wizardry it's possible.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Zeether posted:

I was talking about the pictures on the bell button. Although I bet with some texture wizardry it's possible.

Oh, I figured it out. Railworks is a game?

They need to add radios that barely work and that will not turn up or down. Cab noise so loud that you cannot hear anything. Angry self important non-dispatching dispatchers condescendingly micromanaging you over the radio.

A serious rattle that comes right from the control panel in front of your face that you cannot do anything about. Frost so thick on the inside of the windows you can barely see out the window from the heaters and defrosters that do not work.

The game should also come with a cloth to put over your nose with smells to simulate flatulence from the "mexican fiesta plate" from the diner. Hygienic failure of your conductor and the last 50 train crews that slathered their body grease all over the inside of the locomotive. Plus the ruminant animal scent that comes from a mouth breather who smokes, drinks coffee, and never does brush/floss who will not shut their loving mouth, even while eating.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 10, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

B4Ctom1 posted:

The game should also come with a cloth to put over your nose with smells to simulate flatulence from the "mexican fiesta plate" from the diner. Hygienic failure of your conductor and the last 50 train crews that slathered their body grease all over the inside of the locomotive. Plus the ruminant animal scent that comes from a mouth breather who smokes, drinks coffee, and never does brush/floss who will not shut their loving mouth, even while eating.

I feel like this should be involved in any simulator that is simulating a "non-office" job.

Beef Rocmore
Mar 12, 2003

Wow can't believe I've missed this thread before today, any way cut back locomotive engineer working in the LA Service Unit out of West Colton here. Nice to see that SA has some rails.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Livin' the dream on the Russian narrow gauge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdB5-eZL6-0

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 11, 2012

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

B4Ctom1 posted:

Oh, I figured it out. Railworks is a game?

They need to add radios that barely work and that will not turn up or down. Cab noise so loud that you cannot hear anything. Angry self important non-dispatching dispatchers condescendingly micromanaging you over the radio.

A serious rattle that comes right from the control panel in front of your face that you cannot do anything about. Frost so thick on the inside of the windows you can barely see out the window from the heaters and defrosters that do not work.

And that's why people pay money to drive in simulators but have to be paid to drive the real thing.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Brother Jonathan posted:

And that's why people pay money to drive in simulators but have to be paid to drive the real thing.

Yeah. The other option would be to have the simulator only work at 3am on day one, then call your phone using skype/voip/googlephone at 9pm the same day to come play. Then call you to come play at 3am the following day, and repeat. If you fail to answer your phone a couple of times the game self deletes your registration key.

Also, when it calls you to play at 3am, it could make you sit around in the simulated depot for 4 hours before letting you drive the train.

Also these simulators should put your train into a siding and let you sit there for hours watching other trains go by when you are only 1 mile from reaching your destination (bed).

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 11, 2012

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
from the AI horrible mechanical failure thread

a crane drops a new locomotive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyIrsZ7Zhs

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

B4Ctom1 posted:

from the AI horrible mechanical failure thread

a crane drops a new locomotive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyIrsZ7Zhs

Or previous page from this thread too

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Jusupov posted:

Or previous page from this thread too

Gah! How did I miss that :(

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
A picture from the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Brother Jonathan posted:

A picture from the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad:

That's beautiful. I haven't been up there since I was a little kid. I should go back sometime...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

Gah! How did I miss that :(

So do you tell the rookie drivers that when it snows they have to get out and chain?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The tram that runs outside my house decided to go a bit fast around the corner up the end of my street this afternoon. Apparently the black car seen in the photo hit the tram as it was turning (right track, heading towards camera) which somehow got the pantograph caught in the wires. That tore off and the tram rolled to a stop ~30 meters down the track. Must have been taking the corner at some speed for it to go that far.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Railworks needs to make the cabs more interactive, more then half of the buttons don't do a drat thing.

The ES44 have a simple yellow button for the bell along with a near blank MFD....

The C44-9W has the square yellow bell button and a MFD that at least pretends to do something.

Oh and some locomotives have some indecipherable radio chatter so there is that.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 16, 2012

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
This is just being reported: 4 Dead as Train Hits Vets' Parade.

In Midland, Texas, a parade float carrying veterans, some disabled and in wheelchairs, was hit by a Union Pacific freight train at a grade crossing. One person is quoted as saying that "sirens from the police cars in the parade may have drowned out the sound of the approaching train."

There is a disagreement over whether the crossing signal was working, but in footage from a local television station, one can see at 48 sec. into the video the crossing where the accident happened, and the lights are flashing with the arm down. "Witnesses said the gate did not go down before the floats got to the tracks, KMID reported." So they went down after?

I am eagerly awaiting the investigation from the NTSB. This makes no sense.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw

Victoria Metro's new rail safety campaign is...... pretty drat catchy.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Brother Jonathan posted:

This is just being reported: 4 Dead as Train Hits Vets' Parade.

In Midland, Texas, a parade float carrying veterans, some disabled and in wheelchairs, was hit by a Union Pacific freight train at a grade crossing. One person is quoted as saying that "sirens from the police cars in the parade may have drowned out the sound of the approaching train."

There is a disagreement over whether the crossing signal was working, but in footage from a local television station, one can see at 48 sec. into the video the crossing where the accident happened, and the lights are flashing with the arm down. "Witnesses said the gate did not go down before the floats got to the tracks, KMID reported." So they went down after?

I am eagerly awaiting the investigation from the NTSB. This makes no sense.

The town I used to live in was completely bisected by railroad tracks (the GTW). The 4th of July parade viewing booth was right near one of the railroad crossings, so of course one year a train went through halfway through the parade and stopped things up for a few minutes. I'm sure the the parade organizers were unhappy at that, but hey, at least nothing got hit!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Update: I've been scanning the comments of local newspapers and television stations looking for eyewitness accounts, and I've found a few.

Important points:
  • The police directing traffic were sounding their sirens. The noise perhaps prevented people from hearing the oncoming train.
  • The Union Pacific freight train was traveling at 55 m.p.h. and was carrying double-stacked cargo containers. There was no chance for the train driver to stop in time.
  • The driver of the second float, the one that was struck, entered the crossing before there was sufficient clearance on the other side. The float was on an 18-wheeler with a flat trailer, and the driver was preoccupied with closely following the float in front. When the train was seen coming, there was nowhere to go.
  • The crossing signal did operate, but the float was already stuck on the tracks. The float was most of the way across the rail when the lights started flashing and the arms came down. The arms hit the float and came back up. The riders then realized that they were stuck in the path of a train and scrambled to get off, but they were disabled veterans, some in wheelchairs, and they could not get off fast enough.
Unanswered questions:
  • How long was the warning signal at the crossing? There are different accounts of how long the victims had to get off of the float once the crossing signal started. One witness said it was as short as two seconds, but in such confusion, eyewitness accounts are unreliable.
  • What the gently caress were the police doing? Were they so intent on clearing the parade route of automobiles that not one of them thought about safely crossing the railroad grade?
Right now, most of the blame seems to fall on the driver of the float, but the police seem to have contributed by planning for the traffic throughout the route except for that one spot.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Brother Jonathan posted:

[*]The driver of the second float, the one that was struck, entered the crossing before there was sufficient clearance on the other side. The float was on an 18-wheeler with a flat trailer, and the driver was preoccupied with closely following the float in front. When the train was seen coming, there was nowhere to go.

For fucks sake.

Never go across the tracks unless there's room for your vehicle on the other side. Even if you think there might be enough room, wait until you're sure there's more than enough so you don't get stuck in the danger zone.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Part of the reason no one heard the train coming might have been because that crossing was in one of these stupid "quiet zones". Because not hearing those annoying horns is more important than safety. That said, the engineer was probably blowing the horn anyway because the track through Midland Texas is straight and unobstructed. He could have easily seen the truck stuck on the tracks from far off.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
speaking of railroad crossings I noticed this today

although there was a truck there and it was working on my way back for another train.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Part of the reason no one heard the train coming might have been because that crossing was in one of these stupid "quiet zones".

Wait what? I always thought that you were pretty much required to sound the horn when you were approaching any grade crossing because, you know, don't get run over a train, goddamn but it's been a while since I looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

StandardVC10 posted:

Wait what? I always thought that you were pretty much required to sound the horn when you were approaching any grade crossing because, you know, don't get run over a train, goddamn but it's been a while since I looked.
I know that's the case where I live. There's a level crossing at the end of my street and they blow their horn no matter what time of the day or night it is. I'd rather they did that than have someone die because they didn't realize the train was coming.