Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

For rough tests we used Digicel Flipbook with a camera setup. This was about 5 years ago though, and I haven't used it ever since so it might not be so good for that anymore.

Alternatively, If all you want is to get the raw drawings into the computer and output a movie, you can probably do that with a scanner with a peg or a camera on a stand. Get all your pictures and then import the image sequence into any editing software such as premiere and render the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

redjenova posted:

Interesting. Could you have just as easily just imported the Photoshop files and animated it with toon boom for rough tests? Or would you just have put that out in Photoshop?

If anybody's interested, these are really fascinating, and they have some making-of bits in there. I guess they painted every frame in Photoshop but also used After Effects for compositing. However they did it these are absolutely stunning.

http://motionographer.com/2012/10/15/process-psyops-prequels-for-dishonored/#more-49278
Heck, at this point you could conceivably animate the whole thing in PS, provided you're working with CS6. They put all the Extended animation functionality into the standard version. You can output a .mov or a frame sequence directly from PS.

There are also some weird voodoo things you can do with frame animation and Smart Objects, but that is a topic for another day.

Chernabog posted:

For rough tests we used Digicel Flipbook with a camera setup. This was about 5 years ago though, and I haven't used it ever since so it might not be so good for that anymore.
It hasn't changed in any meaningful way in five years. It's still OK for importing but it crashes like crazy.

Banque
Mar 15, 2010
It's been a while since I've checked in, but I wanted to show off and possibly get some critique on my current demo reel. Most of the contents in their full form can be found on my vimeo page, but I'm curious as to the general "pull" of the reel itself. If you have any critique on the individual films as well, let me know!

https://vimeo.com/50726299 - Reel

I'm also currently in the middle of animating a short, "SHANGHAI JOHNNY AND THE GANG UP TO NO GOOD OUT IN CHINESETOWN", a small piece of which can be seen in the reel, some supporting pre-production materials here as well--

http://imgur.com/a/Mjg7M - SJATGUTNGOIC

Brutalleschi
Jul 10, 2010

Banque posted:

It's been a while since I've checked in, but I wanted to show off and possibly get some critique on my current demo reel. Most of the contents in their full form can be found on my vimeo page, but I'm curious as to the general "pull" of the reel itself. If you have any critique on the individual films as well, let me know!

https://vimeo.com/50726299 - Reel

I'm also currently in the middle of animating a short, "SHANGHAI JOHNNY AND THE GANG UP TO NO GOOD OUT IN CHINESETOWN", a small piece of which can be seen in the reel, some supporting pre-production materials here as well--

http://imgur.com/a/Mjg7M - SJATGUTNGOIC

I actually attended Delaware College of Art and Design with your teammate on the Jazzy Twofingers commercial. Looks like you both are doing well at Pratt.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

I just started using Photoshop for classical animation. I'm surprised how nice it is to work with. Does anybody else use Phtoshop for animation, and do you know if there's a way to scrub audio on the timeline?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Borden posted:

I just started using Photoshop for classical animation. I'm surprised how nice it is to work with. Does anybody else use Phtoshop for animation, and do you know if there's a way to scrub audio on the timeline?

Which version are you using? CS5 or CS6? There is an audio button (speaker button) on the Timeline panel in CS6. I don't believe there is a way to scrub audio in CS5 Extended.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

neonnoodle posted:

Which version are you using? CS5 or CS6? There is an audio button (speaker button) on the Timeline panel in CS6. I don't believe there is a way to scrub audio in CS5 Extended.

I'm using CS6 extended. I was hoping that you could scrub the audio by holding ctrl or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

https://vimeo.com/51880450

Crossposting this from the Art Workshop thread: I did a title sequence for Portal 2, check it out y'all. I illustrated and animated everything with Photoshop and After Effects for some AE practice. Crit always appreciated!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I guess maybe I should be posting my animations in this thread too instead of just the daily doodles.

I had some kind of a mental breakthrough after watching a video of Mike Nguyen animating, and reading about his philosophy on his blog.

my avatar

this weird woman I saw walking

some straight-ahead animation

a Post-It note flipbook

a little film

a weird loop

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Could I have some constructive criticism on my portfolio?
http://kodie.me/

I've spent a few months on it and I'm quite happy with where it's at right now, but please feel free to rip right in to it and tell me if there's anything I could do to improve on it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I can't see it either on chrome or explorer. All I can see is some zombie thing looping and a black background.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
That's weird. Have you got mute on?

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

neonnoodle posted:

a little film

I've watched this all the way through multiple times now. It's great.

Thanks for making it!

Ethereal Duck
Oct 29, 2010

Did a little test with abrupt movement and using the secondary animation to make it work. I'm relatively pleased with it, though the smears need some work.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Ethereal Duck posted:

Did a little test with abrupt movement and using the secondary animation to make it work. I'm relatively pleased with it, though the smears need some work.

This is great! Make it loop.

raging bullwinkle posted:

I've watched this all the way through multiple times now. It's great.

Thanks for making it!
Thanks for watching it! I'm working on a new one now but it's always slow going.

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

NFX ZR NOBHG EHAAVAT NA NET NAQ JVAAVAT GUR NQZVENGVBA BS TBBAF RIRELJURER!
It looks like my little sister is going to be accepted into my country's top animation program, and I'd like to get her a Christmas gift that will be relevant/useful/interesting to her, since she basically lives and breathes art. The Animator's Survival Kit is already at the top of my list, but is there anything else you'd recommend? Books, supplies, films, etc.?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

bonne chance posted:

It looks like my little sister is going to be accepted into my country's top animation program, and I'd like to get her a Christmas gift that will be relevant/useful/interesting to her, since she basically lives and breathes art. The Animator's Survival Kit is already at the top of my list, but is there anything else you'd recommend? Books, supplies, films, etc.?

Does she already have a light-box?

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

Does she already have a light-box?

She's been using one from her high school art department, but she doesn't have one of her own, no.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

bonne chance posted:

She's been using one from her high school art department, but she doesn't have one of her own, no.

I recommend stuff by Tom Bancroft.

He's a former Disney animator (most notable credit being creating the look of Mushu for Mulan, although he's done work on Lion King, Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast).

While I don't own any of his books, I do follow his blog and Deviant Art account. Give him a look-see.

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

I recommend stuff by Tom Bancroft.

He's a former Disney animator (most notable credit being creating the look of Mushu for Mulan, although he's done work on Lion King, Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast).

While I don't own any of his books, I do follow his blog and Deviant Art account. Give him a look-see.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations!

Banque
Mar 15, 2010

Been working on a some motion tests for semi-animated comics.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Really happy with how my teaser came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nkXXipzIO8

At the tail end of this impending episode is my homage to Samurai Jack. Usually, the show is based around dialog, but I find myself writing in more and more action sequences and montages because they're just so much drat fun to animate, or rather, they're tedious in their creation, but seeing all the pieces come together is more than worth the effort.

Also, thanks again to the goon who mentioned importing a .SWF into Premiere. I bet this episode would melt my computer if I tried to export it to Quicktime, natively.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
:siren: Chickencheese is here! :siren:

Animate dat chickencheese, please.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
I've been building and tweaking my demo reel for some time now and I could use some feedback. Would you wanna hire this guy (me)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj3A2jQ6_AQ

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I suggest you move the credits/attribution to the beginning, because I think it's really cool that you also did the music yourself. Plus, because you boarded everything, you need to give people a heads up, or else they wouldn't know unless they watch all the way to the end (and I hear they frequently don't).

To that end, perhaps you want to do some side-by-sides of your storyboards with the final shots. The rough animation is cool to other animators, but it's sort of "part of the process." It doesn't show you can do an additional thing.

Also, hmmm... Even though the music is cool, one of your strengths is the fact that you animated these music videos to the music! That's an extra benefit which not everyone is good at. We have know way of knowing that from the reel, as it stands it just looks like you're obsessed with seafaring.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

neonnoodle posted:

I suggest you move the credits/attribution to the beginning, because I think it's really cool that you also did the music yourself. Plus, because you boarded everything, you need to give people a heads up, or else they wouldn't know unless they watch all the way to the end (and I hear they frequently don't).

To that end, perhaps you want to do some side-by-sides of your storyboards with the final shots. The rough animation is cool to other animators, but it's sort of "part of the process." It doesn't show you can do an additional thing.

Also, hmmm... Even though the music is cool, one of your strengths is the fact that you animated these music videos to the music! That's an extra benefit which not everyone is good at. We have know way of knowing that from the reel, as it stands it just looks like you're obsessed with seafaring.

This is all really good advice. Regarding the last part, I didn't want to include the original Captain Dan soundtracks as the clips are pulled out of order and the music would sound jumbled. Really it's just unfortunate that I haven't really done anything since college besides those videos, so all I have to show besides my student film is pirates.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Uncle Jenkins posted:

I've been building and tweaking my demo reel for some time now and I could use some feedback. Would you wanna hire this guy (me)?

Make it shorter, put some of the pirate stuff first since there are better clips there. For long term, make it more diverse.

Looks good though, I'm sure you will find a job.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

This is a question regarding Adobe Flash, so I'm not sure if this is the right place.

I am trying to create an animation that continuously zooms in an infinite loop. I tried using a simple tween that scales the background to 2x its size, but the rate it scales is skewed and affects the timing. without ease I messed with the ease property, which helped a little bit, but the loop is still not perfect. with ease

Any suggestions? The .fla file is here

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
If it was in a 3d program it would be that your curves aren't straight, so it's slowing down at the start and end. Is there a curve editor or similar in Flash?

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

concerned mom posted:

If it was in a 3d program it would be that your curves aren't straight, so it's slowing down at the start and end. Is there a curve editor or similar in Flash?
Not that I know of, but that's an interesting idea. I'll have to dig deeper into how Flash automates tweens and rate of change.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I think the issue is that they are not scaling proportionally. The time span is constant but their size difference is not so they scale at different rates. If you want it to loop smoothly, in theory, it shouldn't need any easing at all. That is if it is supposed to be going at constant speed, without acceleration
Also, make sure you remove the last frame, as it would be repeating twice when it loops.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 11, 2012

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I was thinking about it and I was wrong. Going at average speed creates an optical illusion so you do need some easing to offset it. With some playing around I was able to get it to smooth out and look pretty decent.

My advice is this:
-Remove the middle one.
-Make the small one start at .1% and grow to 100%. This way you can't see it in the starting picture and it ends up in the exact same location as the big one.
-Last, just mess around with the easing until it looks right. I got it to work by making it -75 easing and then playing with the curves, using classic tweens.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

Uncle Jenkins posted:

A little late on my reply, but I would say add some of your better clips sooner. It takes awhile to get to your good stuff. Also I would put your finished shots first, and then your roughs after. If you watch it all the way through you can see your talent, but the retro VHS look juxtaposed with the roughs first makes the crappy VHS look not read as intentional.

Also I would work on your typography. Yeah it's not what you're looking to do with your job, but it makes it look a bit more amateur. Maybe go through some old 80's flicks and copy that typography feel?

Edit: observe safe zones for type, etc.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

Chernabog posted:

My advice is this:
-Remove the middle one.
-Make the small one start at .1% and grow to 100%. This way you can't see it in the starting picture and it ends up in the exact same location as the big one.
-Last, just mess around with the easing until it looks right. I got it to work by making it -75 easing and then playing with the curves, using classic tweens.
Sweet, thanks!
A couple questions though: how do I input actual values for transforming/scaling? I've only been doing it with the transform tool and mouse. And how do I access the curves?

Ethereal Duck
Oct 29, 2010

Horses. Going to take these into after effects and use a nice moving texture as a track matte.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Octorok posted:

Sweet, thanks!
A couple questions though: how do I input actual values for transforming/scaling? I've only been doing it with the transform tool and mouse. And how do I access the curves?

ctrl+T and the window should appear.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Chernabog posted:

ctrl+T and the window should appear.

Also, CTRL-ALT-S allows you to scale your selected objects via percentages.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Crossposting from the motion thread 'cause this is more animation-related than design-related, in my opinion — my last student project, a bumper/tv spot for Adventure Time. I probably won't be doing any more work on this but critique is very very welcomed!

Clicky click

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

redjenova posted:

Crossposting from the motion thread...

There's a motion thread now? drat, no idea how I missed that.

Travakian fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank!
Oct 29, 2008

I did a lil' looping gif to promote my comic, but I'm really dreadful with the program flash because I don't really know how to utilize it properly and take advantage of all its tools. Anyways, I came up with this in the end: